[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tamahagane Rifle Barrels?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 8

File: image.jpg (71KB, 633x411px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71KB, 633x411px
Is there any company that makes these? I'm trying to build a super accurate 18 inch AR so I need the absolute best materials. Is there a anyone that makes differentially hardened barrels too? Like hard on the inside and soft on the outside to make it shoot straighter?

I've sourced and bought most of the stuff I need for the gun, the barrel is the major holdup, I can't find any in the right material or caliber!
>>
>>31060775
It would be useless. Just get a good 4150 CMV chrome lined barrel.
>>
Just get an fn barrel
>>
>>31060775
douglas ss barrels

You dont want a "hard inside and soft outside" for a HUGE number of reasons

You want a rigid barrel
>>
I dont think you know what is "the best"

Tamahagane is a bloomery steel produced by an exceptionally imprecise smelting process abandoned by industry centuries ago.

Aside from the vast amount of time and work it would need, sucha barrel would be structurally inferior to a modern billet of 10XX carbon steel milled to form.

(and yes, I am a swordsmith. No medieval-age technology, western or european comes close to the consistency of a modern foundry-produced bar of steel. )
>>
>>31060891
>western or european

Eastern or European. that should've been.

derp.
>>
>>31060810
Op here- I decided against chrome because it is less accurate and I'm not going to be shooting dirty ammo and leaving it uncleaned. The guy I bought most of my parts from has been super helpful in sourcing all the stuff so far but he's on vacation so I need to get another source for the barrel.

Does FN make what I'm looking for?
>>
>>31060927
I can assure you that the chrome lining will make a negligible difference in accuracy. Just get a Daniel Defense barrel if you can get one.
>>
>>31060775
416R or nitrided 4140.
>>
> OP ITT
>>
>>31060927
Only bad chrome lining processes produce accuracy differences

A good chromed barrel will have exactly 0 effect
>>
>>31060953
>>31060953
Op again-
I know I can settle for any old steel barrel but is there a company that makes specifically what I'm looking for?? I want absolute perfection to match up with the rest of my parts and best barrel harmonics.
>>
>>31060927
If you want the best then you want a proof research barrel.

They start with a match grade as barrel and turn it way down and then wrap the barrel in carbon fiber. Super accurate and light weight.
>>
>>31061095
Anon, I'm going to be perfectly honest with you. If pure accuracy is all you care about, an AR-15 is one of the last guns you should be looking at and certainly nothing that is any kind of automatic.
>>
>>31061100
Match grade stainless steel
>>
>>31061100
Holy shit $940 for a barrel. That better put the hole right where I fucking want it AND get me laid.
>>
>>31061010
Proof? Any source?
>>
>>31061100
Op-
Proof research seems like a decent cheaper alternative if I can't find what I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>>31060775
>Like hard on the inside and soft on the outside to make it shoot straighter?
Why do you believe that would have a positive affect on accuracy
>>
>>31061165
You did say that you want the best
>>
>>31061198
So it can still be really hard and but flex and not break. It's the best of both worlds.
>>
>>31061222
You're a new level of retard.
>>
>>31061222
That's not how this works, anon.
>>
>>31061222
Ill give this b8 a 6/10 because of the trips
>>
File: tumblr_mcx98aqvvK1ri6x74o1_1280.jpg (791KB, 1008x1530px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mcx98aqvvK1ri6x74o1_1280.jpg
791KB, 1008x1530px
TLUE SAMULAI RIKE MYSERF SUFFA GLEAT SHAME IF AR NOT MADE WIT GRORIOUS ANCIENT NIPPON TEKKUNIKKU
>>
Holy fuck if this thread isn't the most weeaboo shit I have seen in months....
>>
File: image.gif (23KB, 468x60px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
23KB, 468x60px
>>31060775
>>
Ok my buddy got back to me about the barrel, He says he has a source and can import it after he gets back from his trip. A genuine tamahagene barrel is going to be at least 1200 bucks, so I've got that all figured out and I should have it in a few weeks.

I just need to know what the best match grade target ammo is, that's the last piece of the puzzle.
>>
>>31061222
You do not want a barrel to flex. You want it to flex, move, vibrate as little as possible.

As I said, if you want the best, proof research is where it is at.

>>31061165
It does get you laid, it looks really cool.

Watch their you tube videos. They remove a barrel from a gun, smash a cinder block with the barrel, reinstall it, and it's still shooting Moa and better. I do believe it was a bolt gun barrel though, not ar. But I'm pretty sure they claim sub Moa on all their barrels.
>>
>>31061382
Go ahead and spend 1200 and that barrel and find out that that idea is the dumbest shit ever. Seriously, do your research.
>>
>>31060775
If you want a snowflake barrel, get a lilja or something

Weebsteel is a meme
>>
>>31061432
I will, and I guarantee it will out preform a proof barrel. Steel and carbon fiber are so hard that it will eventually crack if you actually use it. They wouldn't have used differentially hardened steel for 900 years if it didn't work.
>>
>>31061458
Machinist here. You're a fucking retard and you need to kill yourself or do some actual research. 200 years ago there would be fucking world wars fought over the knowledge of how to make modern steels. It's not the fucking same.
>>
>>31061458
yeah, for blades, not barrels.
>>
>>31061382
LOL, everybody knows Horee Fuk Chinese XXX is the powder you need for natch grade ammo, wat a noob
>>
>>31060891
LOL obviously don't know anything about the high end wootz steels.
>>
>>31060775
For accuracy, a 20" barrel would be better.
>>
>>31061524
>thinking Damascus steel is anything like the pig iron shit the jap's made
>>
Op again
If you guys can stop trolling my thread that would be great. I already got my barrel on the way, now I just need bullets to go with it, thanks.
>>
>>31060839
This. 100% this. Again, 20" not 18".
>>
>>31061484
I'm pretty sure this goes in the way of damascus steel worship.

Then again, when shit like goujian happens...
>>
>>31061553
What barrel faggot?
>>
>>3106160
Op-
I had my friend find me a seller of Tomahagane barrels.
>>
>>31061553
Nobody is trolling, you're just really dumb and people are reacting to that.
>>
>>31061553
What I want to know is how you ascertain the composition of your barrel yourself.

How do you know your dealer isn't pulling your leg and subbing the barrel with a "subpar" product like say, a douglas SS? Trust?
>>
>>31061625
Op-
I trust my dealer, he's top notch. He managed to find me a bunch of 22lr during the ammo panic and helped me find a lot of the parts for this build. So he's definitely trustworthy.
>>
>>31060821
/THREAD

>>31060891
What do you think of Rick Furrs Wootz steel process? besides it makes a hell of a pretty display piece, because anyone can see that, except blind people, and they cant even see why kids love cinnamon toast crunch cereal.

>>31061100
there is an old guy with a mickey mouse tattoo on his right arm in florida that does 3 Gun with one of those barrels on his AR. his whole rig is so light it feels like its made of paper, but it gets crazy, cover them with a quarter groups at rest.

>>31061484
hell that would have been the secret of the ages back then. some of those old revolutionary war to early civil war era steels were so "coarse", that I'm honestly surprised they didnt come apart like a turkey thrown from a news helicopter.
>>
>>31061095
Noveske
>>
>>31061696
>Turkey from a news helicopter
There is no one here old enough to get that reference.
>>
>Like hard on the inside and soft on the outside to make it shoot straighter?

This was a thing in reality, the Parrott rifle.

>>31061696
>What do you think of Rick Furrs Wootz steel process?
For wootz in general, the thermal cycling that enhances the pattern will promote grain growth. That's not ideal.
>>
>>31061110
You're a dumbfuck, the AR platform is the most easily accurized semi auto rifle platform period.
>>
>>31061686
Holy shit, this must be a fucking bait thread. Helping with the epic Trouble finding 22lr meme haha
>>
>>31061784
You don't remember when the shelves were bare everywhere? Probably because you were 8 years old when it happened.
>>
>>31061769
>the AR platform is the most easily accurized semi auto rifle platform period.
Okay, that doesn't exclude anything I said. If you want pure accuracy, you want a single shot bolt action. AR's might be high on the list of automatic guns but compared to everything else, they're still very near the bottom.
>>
>>31061758
I didn't watch WKRP in Cincinnatti very often, and when I did I was usually distracted by Loni Anderson's cleavage.
>>
>>31061448
Isn't that shit literally pig iron?
>>
>>31062868
Weebsteel? Yes.
>>
>>31061758
i grew up with WKRP in syndication as a kid. that show gave me 2 of my greatest rolemodels, Dr. JOHNNY FEVER, and of course Venus Flytrap
>>
>>31061758
>>>I am.

Fuck I'm old.

Also, OP, you are retarded. Go read up on "barrel whip." Like your mom all ready knows, stiffer is generally better.
>>
OP you want a damascus steel barrel. That ghetto Japanese shit isn't going to be worth it in a rifle.
>>
>>31061985
>>31063089
>>31061985
Glad I'm not the only person feeling OLD here.

OP, you're retarded. Crack open a metallurgy book or something.
>>
>>31060927
>The guy I bought most of my parts from has been super helpful in sourcing all the stuff so far but he's on vacation so I need to get another source for the barrel.

You do realize you funded 100% of that vacation yourself right?
>>
>>31061382
I think the last piece of the puzzle is how good the shooter is
>>
>>31061758
Sadly dumped many a load starring at Loni's tits on a b/w TV as a teenager.
>>
>>31061458
>they wouldn't have used leeches for centuries if they didn't cure disease
>they wouldn't have lived for centuries under absolute monarchies if they didn't work
>they wouldn't have sacrificed people to the gods for centuries if it didn't guarantee a good harvest

We're speaking rooty tooty point and shooties here, not your shitty pig iron weeabo back up swords. You don't want it to bend. Smiths back then would have sold their families to the devil for modern metallurgy
>>
>>31060775
you have any pictures of what youve got built so far op?
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>31065361
So far I've got a Folded Nippon Aluminum Billet Lower (I have to mill it myself because it's illegal in Japan), Titanium BCG and firing pin, standard A2 stock with lightweight follower and high power spring, and some high quality parts kit that came with it.
>>
>>31065786
Op that looks like a fucking 40 dollar 80% lower.
>>
>>31065786
how much did you pay for all this?
>>
>>31061095
If you want the best, talk to compass lake engineering. They can either get you a Bartlein / Krieger bbl for your ar15 with a headspaced matching bolt.
>>
File: trollthread.jpg (48KB, 600x623px) Image search: [Google]
trollthread.jpg
48KB, 600x623px
>>31061382
>>
>>31066029
Only 869
>>
>>31066123
>only
>fucking only

>869
>>
>>31065786
your in japan doing this i assume from that post.
>>
>>31066195
probably just a weeb
>>
>>31066195
No, I'm from the us. They can't import ar 15 receivers made in Japan to the US
>>
>>31060775
Get fucked weaboo.
>>
>>31066343
what company is the lower from?
>>
File: image.jpg (36KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36KB, 600x338px
>>31066343
Since when do they even fucking make AR-15's in Japan? OP, what the fuck is wrong with you? Since when has there been a demand for Tamaganehe steel or whatever the fuck barrels? How are you even able to solve the Capchtas required to post and be so fucking autistic?
>>
>>31066383
It's from Nippon Steelworks
>>
File: For those that don't know.jpg (57KB, 659x1599px) Image search: [Google]
For those that don't know.jpg
57KB, 659x1599px
>>31063142
>>31063089
>>31063064
>>31061985
>>31061696

Wew, lads.

We're /oldasfuq/ ITT.
>>
>>31066390
Howa makes M16 derivatives in Japan in tiny qualities meant for competition shooting between the Marines and the JSDF. Miroku makes small parts, but other than that, there's nothing.
>>
go back to /a/
>>
>>31061222
Listen son, the effect of heat treatment on Young's modulus of steel is very small.

Then again if you harden your barrel, well you made a pipe bomb.

You can case harden you barrels and frames, the depth of carbon diffusion can be some tens of microns and now you got a bit more surface hardness against surface wear and scratches. And some exotic quench colouring.
>>
>spend 5K on a AR15
>spend as much on match grade ammo
>still shoot like a retard
>think you had a good deal
what a day /k/
>>
>>31061769
Why don't you just buy a PSG-1 then? That's already hyper accurate, it doesn't need to be "accurized"
>>
>>31061458
They were using the two layers of metal because the application was basically a cantilever that had to withstand jerk and impulse. A gun barrel is a very different problem than a sword. Gun barrels are basically cylindrical pressure vessels that must withstand cycles of heat, friction, and pressure spikes with minimal vibration and wear. So simple tamahagane or layered strong/tough steel is not a good solution for a gun barrel. Something like a thin layer of chrome on an otherwise solid steel barrel is fine to prevent corrosion/wear, but actually having two separate steels together in a barrel is complicated to manufacture and of little value. In fact, it might be detrimental and reduce the barrel's fatigue life due to changing the strain amplitude for each pressure spike.
>>
>>31068766
I think he wants to actually use two steels of different carbon content. The closest I could see to him getting that is, as you suggest, carburizing the inside of a mild steel barrel. That still seems like a lot of work to get something that is probably less useful than a straight up high quality steel barrel. Actually going and making a barrel out of two separate steels seems dangerous to me. Could explode unless he gets a real fucking thick overengineered barrel and doesn't try to mill it down.
>>
>>31069446
True. On top of that, there are not that many steel alloys that are both wear resistant and can serve as a gun barrel in their soft state (30-40 HRc).

Even more so, the use of hardened layers just makes barrel harmonics more erratic and awkward. Hardening does not effect modulus values of the steel, but greatly reduces material internal damping factor (tan delta, if you will). It just will ring more. Damping steels like Silentalloy then again don't work that well as gun barrels.
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.