[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did anybody on /k/ actually buy one of these, $4600 relics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: images (85).jpg (21KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
images (85).jpg
21KB, 512x288px
Did anybody on /k/ actually buy one of these, $4600 relics?
>>
Wtf?
>>
>>31057705
I know some retard from Opchan did. If you're looking for the most expensive impractical gun you can find, those things are hard to beat.
>>
File: images (86).jpg (17KB, 359x409px) Image search: [Google]
images (86).jpg
17KB, 359x409px
>>31057711

Its a BAR tactikewled up to make the H.C.A.R
>>
File: images (84).jpg (28KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
images (84).jpg
28KB, 512x288px
>>31057717

I suppose it would make .300AAC seem cheap to stock up on trying to feed it.
>>
>>31057727
It's not even that .30-06 is expensive, it's just that there was no reason to choose it over .308. By making it .30-06 they turned a decent concept battle rifle into an expensive range meme.
>>
>>31057735

If it was in .300wm or .338lapua I might look at it but it would need some kind of cooling system.
>>
>>31057735
>Decent concept battle rifle

It still weighs like 13 pounds. There's absolutely no reason to get one over, for example, a SCAR 17, even if it was in .308
>>
Ugly.
>>
File: M1918A3 and Gear.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
M1918A3 and Gear.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
>>31057705
Yeah there is some guy on /k/ who bought one. I remember him saying he loves it.

>new gun
>relic
>>
>>31057750
>Guns make you safe.
>Bigger guns make you safer.

what about that don't you get?
>>
>>31057705
Someone must have.
I think they're fucking retarded though, a PTR91 could do everything it does for a quarter of that price (less even), the HCAR is an expensive novelty.

>>31057735
>decent concept
The BAR action isn't exactly amazing though, back in the tail end of WW1 where it wasn't 20lbs and fit with the retarded variable ROF, the gun could have some pretty decent uses.

In time for WW2, the Army Ordnance Board had made some "improvements" to the design (as in, a bunch of half-baked features which did little else but add a bunch of weight, including the worst bipod ever). GIs just really managed to put the BAR into passable use as an LMG, which the action was kind of OK for.
The BAR wasn't really the very best of JMB's designs, and the AOB made the gun mostly worse to try to get a weapon it was almost, but not quite meant to be.

If I were to have an infantry rifle, I would have done something completely different, not try to repurpose the BAR (even without the hindsight of 2016).

For any kind of modern weapon, this HCAR abomination is fucking asinine and making it a different caliber wouldn't change anything from a practical standpoint, the BAR is not a good design for a contemporary infantry combat rifle.

This is just an expensive toy.
>>
I have a few guns in 3006 and have honestly been considering one. It looks neat
>>
>>31057875
It's probably an amazing toy, but I couldn't justify spending 4k on something like that, I could buy a transferable Sten subgun for that.

>>31057744
>Let's try to make the BAR into something it's not; even further.
>>
>>31057867
It's also worth noting that FN sold very good "export" versions of BAR which were closer to being LMG, featured better bipod, quick change barrel etc. Why didn't US military ever used those improvement is beyond me.
>>
File: Kulsprutegevär m37 6.5x55mm.jpg (438KB, 1500x583px) Image search: [Google]
Kulsprutegevär m37 6.5x55mm.jpg
438KB, 1500x583px
>>31057931
They were looking at replacing the BAR with what was the Winchester Automatic Rifle (sort of like an M1 action designed as an automatic rifle) it did everything the M1918A2 did but much better, and a bit lighter. Thing is that WW2 ended before it was adopted and suddenly it wasn't urgent anymore.

I really like the Swedish BAR, 6.5x55mm would be VERY easy to shoot from a heavy open-bolt monstrosity like that, it also featured quick-swappable barrels, so that's better than the American one.
They were gonna make a belt-fed variant of it at some point but decided not to, which is a shame because it would probably make it the very best model of the BAR ever.
>>
>>31058230
>tfw everyone but the Americans made a better BAR
>tfw no one will ever make those models because every one wants muh fuddy aught sigs or some heavy monstrosity
>tfw no FN model D with FAL mags
>tfw no M37 in 6.5 Swedish
>tfw no Polish BARs
>tfw no Chinese BARs
Why God?
>>
File: Colt Monitor-BAR.jpg (26KB, 1061x259px) Image search: [Google]
Colt Monitor-BAR.jpg
26KB, 1061x259px
>>31058267
Here is an American BAR for civilians.
>>
>>31058230
>Winchester Automatic Rifle
>W.A.R.
This coincidental acronym pleases me.
>>
>>31057735
>Being this much of a fucking faggot
308 is powerful
30-06 is more powerful
>>
>>31059040
Yeah.
As cool as the BAR is to me as a piece of history, the cool potential of the WAR and it being generally a better weapon really tickles my pickle.

>>31059051
.30-06 is not that amazing

>.308 does very much the same thing with less weight and a shorter action/gun
>M2 ball loadings of .30-06 were pretty lukewarm and .308 could easily be loaded to match it

.30-06 is nice from a handloader's perspective, because case capacity allows you to load it pretty hot, allowing for more velocity and range, but that's beyond the limited scope of practicality of a battle rifle and the scope of use of a squad automatic weapon, that's more marksman or sniper territory, where it will be absolutely outclassed by .338 Lapua Magnum

There is no practical reason today to make a battle rifle, SAW or GPMG in .30-06, the HCAR is nothing but a novelty.
>>
>>31059051
>.357 Magnum is powerful
>.357 Maximum is more powerful

People should consider all calibers by this metric, right?
>>
>>31059213
The HCAR is the greatest thing ever created by man. Why even bother using 308 when 30-06 has the same ballistics and is just better?

>>31059222
Yes.
>>
>>31059051
If, by 'powerful', you mean that it can produce more projectile energy then you are correct.

Comparing terminal ballistic performance by energy is a window licker mainstay and always marks the guys who don't kill anything with anything. It ranks with SD and its inputs diameter and weight, as the most used means of ranking that have if fact decide nothing in reality.
>>
>>31059278
PTR91 does everything it does better and cheaper.

SCAR-17 does everything it does way better.

Even a chunky old FAL kicks the HCARs shit for having a better action.
>>
>>31057705
Some douchebag awhile back posted his hcar with his Nighthawk 1911.
>>
>>31057867
It was designed for a doctrine that never worked (walking fire) and then pressed into a doctrine it sort of kind of worked in (suppressive fire). But at the end of the day, it was an odd duck due to the original design end goal, and was far from the cutting edge in it's role around when WWII rolled around.
That being said, I still think it's cool, pig fat with 20 round magazines and all.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.