[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Savage made Lee Enfield safety issue?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: No4[1].jpg (126KB, 698x476px) Image search: [Google]
No4[1].jpg
126KB, 698x476px
Hi /k/. I currently own a 1941 Savage made Lee Enfield No4 MK1* and I seem to be having a little problem. When I try to bring the bolt back to load the next bullet, it stops halfway back. I wanted to find out what was blocking its return. I notice that it's the trigger catch thats blocking the bolt. The only way for me to bring it back into position was to pull the trigger. Now i wanna ask, is this normal and if not, how do i fix the problem?
>>
File: No 4 Mk 1.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
No 4 Mk 1.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>31056807
I've not had any such problem with my Fazakerley No 4, but I'm not sure if it's common. I am pretty sure it's not normal.

You said it's the trigger catch that's blocking it - do you mean the sear? Can you tell what it's catching on? I'm trying to figure out how that could prevent the bolt moving back, since the sear is rear-facing and really shouldn't catch on anything without a notch (e.g., the cocking piece).
>>
>>31057036
Yes, it is indeed the sear that's blocking the bolt from coming back into position.
>>
>>31057097
And just so you know, the safety was off.
>>
>>31057097
Can you tell what it's catching on? Is the sear sticking up too much?
>>
>>31057117
It's catching on the sear spring. It's getting blocked so I think it is sticking up. Previous owner that the gun mechanically wise is all original.
>>
>>31057141
And also, the gun didn't have any bullets in it when I tried.
>>
>>31057141
Sorry, should have been more clear - what part of the bolt is the sear catching on? Although, if the sear spring is sticking out, that's a definite problem. The sear spring should be hidden with the stock on.
>>
Actually I just checked it. It is hidden. View video for reference cause he's having the same problem i'm having.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYIWQne7KJg
>>
>>31057177
Ah, sorry. I thought you were having problems opening the bolt, not closing it. Seems like the sear is catching on the lower lug of the bolt. That would definitely suggest that the sear is riding too high, since I can't imagine the lug is too large (my lug is maybe 2/3 the height of the cocking piece) I would take the stock off and check that the sear spring is correctly positioned. It's also possible that the sear itself is bent and may need replacing.
>>
>>31057220
On second thought, it probably is the sear. You can get replacement sears for pretty cheap rom several places, so if that's not it, at least you're not out by much. Numrich has them for $8.25, for example:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/486470.htm
>>
>>31056807
To be safe, are we talking about a SMLE made by Savage or one made by Indians, Africans or Arabs?
>>
>>31057973
Savage never made ShtMLEs
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.