[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Metal detecting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 11

File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Just got back from mrtal decting near a battle site in a rivver in georgia.
Two of the thing i found were a bullet casing with no markings, that i guess is .32, and a pear shaped object thats either covered or made of a soft metal that is magnetic, hoping its artillary related but its probably just an anchor.
So can anyone tell me what these are and what year they come from?

Also metal detecting finds thread
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Also this watch
Any info would be great, couldnt find much on google
>>
File: image_6571.jpg (43KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
image_6571.jpg
43KB, 960x720px
Pear object looks like a powder horn from the civil war. The casing is obviously a bullet casing, and I've got no clue what that other thing is, be careful with it though. I'm sure you've noticed, but it seems to have a knob, I'd avoid playing too much with it since its probably pretty old, but some sort of locket is what comes to mind after glancing at it.
>>
>>31054121
Op here, the pear is round the whole way, solid,and is heavy, and the watch is a digital lucerne, but thats all i could find
>>
>>31053658
I'm seconding powder flask
>>
>>31054200
I've got no idea what it could be aside from a powder horn, there wasn't really any set design that everyone used, there were common designs, but not really a mass produced one that every soldier on each side had, especially the south.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
Top down view of the pear, scratching away the rust i also get a really strong lake/ possibly gunpowder smell
>>
>>31054581
Also its about 3-5 pounds
>>
File: Pear-of-anguish.jpg (43KB, 606x466px) Image search: [Google]
Pear-of-anguish.jpg
43KB, 606x466px
>>31053658
>a pear shaped object thats either covered or made of a soft metal that is magnetic

OP found a 19th century, Confederate army pear of anguish.

Good find.
>>
>>31054581
Take a picture of the spout thing on top please.

>>31054595
It could be full of dirt or just rusted to shit, if you smell possible powder in it then that could be it but I doubt it would hold several pounds of powder at that size.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Cleaned up a bit more
>>
>>31054770
Ok I've got no idea now, I'd ask on a history forum if I were you. I can't find anything on google that looks ever similar to that.
>>
>>31054833
Op here, i dont think its an anchor rither considering its only about 3 pounds but it also smells of gunpowder
>>
Also they battle that took place were i was was called battle of lays ferry
>>
>>31054770
you found half a ship testicle
they're the truck nutz of the day, often hung from the rear of ships
>>
It's a grenade.
>>
File: grenade P1.jpg (28KB, 726x369px) Image search: [Google]
grenade P1.jpg
28KB, 726x369px
look a lot like french grenade P1
>>
>>31057002
Good spot.
>>
>>31054770
Maybe it's an old bell hammer. There were a lot of clock towers in the day, maybe it was on a church or something.
>>
>>31057002
>op is scraping away at a grenade
holy fuck
>op was never heard from again
>>
You should probably stop in case this is a grenade. Take it to a historian or something.
>>
>>31057256
French fag here.
There was an old man not far from where I live who was known for knowing lots of shit about WWII weapons. He dug fuck tons of them that he restored and collected illegally (he had at least an mg32 and a Thompson to my knowledge. Both functional. )
He dug a cellar under his house to work on these and store them.
He was found 2 month ago in said cellar. And in the corridor. And a little under the table. But mostly on the walls. He couldn't identify a German large shell so he heated it to take the projectile off and measure it...

RIP crazy old bastard
>>
>>31054770
I'm thinking clock weight.
>>
File: Grenade_Gregory.png (113KB, 335x346px) Image search: [Google]
Grenade_Gregory.png
113KB, 335x346px
>>31057002
hell yes it does, remove the spoon and stuff and there's your eyelet, he said it was heavy AF so its definitely not some leather flask.

*scrape scrape* guys it smells like chemicals

>and OP was never heard from again

although i would wager if it is a grenade it slowly took on water over the years and the internals are totally inert now.... i hope
>>
Op here, im scared now, it makes sense for it to be in confederate or union hands, but the spoons missing. How do i confirm it is a p1 without making myself a hero
>>
>>31058791
what kind of world gone mad do these people live in where all the grenades look like clock weights?
>>
File: truck nutz.jpg (19KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
truck nutz.jpg
19KB, 300x200px
>>31053658
>>31058791

its one of two confederate "carriage nutz"
>>
>>31058827
Op here,Never mind the years dont match up, and its 2cm wider than a p1
>>
>>31055008
Oh, by the Royal Ship Testicle Company, appointed by Her Majesty, of Suffolkstaffordshiredon, England?

Yes, they're quite famous as providers of luxury ship testicles. Could be worth quite a bit.
>>
File: op's bandsaw.jpg (175KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
op's bandsaw.jpg
175KB, 1200x1200px
>>31058827
i have an idea, friend

ok here you go:

1. get yourself a bandsaw, a small table type or even a portable one. it needs to have enough span to cut this thing lengthwise, preferably.

2. go out a few hundred feet from the farthest source of electrical power, or get a little generator if you want, and run as many extension cords as you can into a field or back into the edge of the woods.

3. set up bandsaw and securely clamp in the grenade/clock weight. make sure it will not shift as it is being cut.

4. set up your saw and as the cut begins, haul ass out of there.

5. allow the bandsaw to make the rest of the cut by itself. you need a heavy enough bandsaw designed to cut with its own weight, if you have a nice one you can set the hydraulic valve but it might get blown up, RIP saw

6. monitor the cut with binos

7. go back and pick up the pieces, either 2 pieces or lots more pieces depending on what happened

8. now you have a fine cross section of a vintage grenade/clock weight/whatever and this will help you further identify it. post results

9. profit
>>
Op here, why the fuck would a hrenade from 1915 be at a civil war battle site?
>>
>>31057002
>>31054770
can't be the ring is attached directly to the body.

I second that it is a ships testicle
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.