[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Old H Peiper single shot info

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_6024.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6024.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I posted this in a QTDDTOT the other day, but it died shortly after.

I received a rifle from my grandma, been hanging on her living room wall since before I was alive. She's moving to a smaller house and getting rid of things. Gave it to me since she knows I'm the only one in the family into guns. Doesn't know anything about it, grampa is long gong to ask.

So I'll post some pics and what little info I've been able to muster on google, but since it's so old and there were apparently many different ones made, info is sketch at best
>>
File: IMG_6025.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6025.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>31053588

So far I know it's a .22 since grandma provided me with one "bullet" (a blank). From some reading a lot of these old Flobert actions were intended to shoot .22 CB. I remember my grandpa shooting at a squirrel with it once when I was about 9, so I think it can at the very least shoot .22 short, though I don't think I'd shoot .22 LR through it. The rear flappy-bit doesn't lock or click into place at all, and there's just a free floating firing pin attached to it, which doesn't give me a ton of faith given that this this is evidently around 100 years old. Can anyone chime in on ammo recommendations? Should I even try .22 short?
>>
File: IMG_6027.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6027.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>31053621

The wood is in excellent shape and there's barely any rust on it, what rust there is is almost more just a slight discoloring

I think this was one of those rifles you'd used to be able to buy at the hardware store or Sears & Roebuck around the turn of the century for kids or varmint control. I'm a big guy, 6'3", but this thing is TINY.
>>
File: IMG_6030.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6030.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Here's the real meat as far as any id goes. The only real marking I can make out is "H PEIPER" on the barrel, and a 4 digit serial underneath, but googling that leads me to other single shots that look different than this one. simpler stocks, no ornate trigger guard. Also predictive search keeps wanting to add "Leige" or "Belgium" to the search, so I gather that's where it was likely made, but there's no stamps on it that say that. Supposedly there's proof marks that can help underneath the hinge of the action, but as you can see here it's barely legible
>>
File: IMG_6026.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6026.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>31053662

And finally the "H PEIPER" mark. If anyone can point me towards any websites or anything that can help me find more info on it, or if you have any personal recommendations as whether or not to even try to fire it, I'd very much appreciate it. I'm not a noguns, and it seems mechanically sound, but it's also evidently over 100 years old.

I've googled around a bit, but just like the time I asked /k/ about my Astra Ruby that I got from the same grandma, a few people on here that know about particular guns can be way more helpful than googling

Thanks in advance, and I'll be around to provide more info or pictures if y'all need it. If nobody gives a shit, feel free to call OP a faggot.
>>
File: IMG_6029.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6029.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>31053695
>>
given the age lack of caliber markings and its "locking"mechanism id be hesitant to even fire shorts out of it. cb should be ok but measure the chamber with calipers anyways
>>
>>31054659

That's what I was thinking. I've seen lots of pictures of similar rilfes that are clearly stamped .22, and since mine isn't, I'm hesitant to fire anything at all out of it besides the .22 CB or whatever where it's just the primer that propels the bullet. God knows what Grandpa did with this thing or what he shot at that squirrel with. He might not even have been that gun savvy and shot a .22 LR out of something he shouldn't have and always gotten lucky

I haven't yet checked the bore, since I left my small light that I use for that at work yesterday, but provided there's any rifling at all, or no obstructions, I was gonna try some of that Aguila Colibri stuff. Though honestly, I'm not sure how much I even want to shoot this thing. I partly wanted to make it a wall hanger, the same way it spent the last 30 years or more of it's life, but my grandma who has a habit of giving me worthless guns also gave me an 1878 Vetterlei years ago that would make a way cooler wall hanger, and since you can't even get ammo for that anymore, but I can get ammo for this thing, if nothing else it'd be cool to have something to pop empty beer cans with
>>
File: scarf.jpg (144KB, 1155x1155px) Image search: [Google]
scarf.jpg
144KB, 1155x1155px
>>31054813

Also a funny thing just occurred.

>start googling sites that sell .22 colibri ammo
>first handful of results are all out of stuck
>MFW I remember how for the past couple years anons have been bitching about how hard it is to get .22LR, or if they do its overpriced
>it's not even LR, its colibri, but still
>My grandmother has now endowed me with a burdern of sorts
>>
One bump before I go to my drunken sleep. Maybe Sunday anons will provide some more info
>>
OP, you should consider asking the anons over in the manual action general, they seem like the sort that would be knowledgeable about this.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.