[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First Handgun Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1471186943076.jpg (4MB, 3024x3780px) Image search: [Google]
1471186943076.jpg
4MB, 3024x3780px
I'm eligible to apply for my shall issue CC/purchase permit in a week. My threat model consists of mountain lions, black bears (on the off chance I can't just scare them off, I know they're pussies) and the occasional nog swarm, so I'd like something a little bigger than a 9mm. What's a good first handgun that won't bankrupt me? I was looking at a 1911 in .45 or 10mm, or a Ruger American Pistol in .45. Are those decent options?
>>
>please respond
>>
>>31052347
>m. What's a good first handgun that won't bankrupt me?
>wont bankrupt me

go big or go home OP

hk usp in 45

fags hate em since they cant save and afford em
>>
>>31052347
Get the .45 Ruger SR1911 lightweight Commander edition. Can't possibly go wrong there.
>>
>>31052919
If I wanted to go retard-expensive I'd get an STI Perfect Ten.
>Paying Hitler & Kraut prices
>ever

>>31052928
Any reason for a commander size over a full size 1911?
>>
>>31052928
>>31052347
sounds to me like you kike the look of 1911's

shit then op get an wilson combat if allowed in your states lol

i want a kimber cdp custom 2 but there not available to semptember in my shit state (ca) so my fun shop tells me
>>
>>31052991
>$3000 for a 1911
Eh, maybe some day. I've already spent over a grand on long guns this year.
>>
>>31052347
>My threat model consists of mountain lions, black bears

If this is for carrying when walking around in the wilderness then why do you want to conceal? You'll be far more comfortable open carrying than concealing some huge 10mm pistol while walking around and sweating.

Also mountain lions and black bears aren't something you should be very afraid of or need a particularly powerful round for. Your whole usage scenario doesn't really fit with the type of gun and carry you want.
>>
>>31053098
I don't want to conceal. My retarded state requires a CC permit to purchase a pistol without an inane wait period.
>>
>>31053116
>I don't want to conceal

Ok in that case, fuck everything posted above this post and buy either a

Coonan .357
Glock 40
S&W TRR8

You'll love any of those 3 and they fit your requirements.
>>
>>31053168
>eight shot tacticool .357mag revolver
Be still my heart.
>>
>>31053116
That is extremely retarded. If you seriously think you might need to take down large, aggressive animals then 10mm is hands down the best automatic pistol round available. 10mm has more energy and superior penetration compare to .45. Diameter is not everything.

You may want to go with a 357 revolver as >>31053168 suggests. This gives you some versatility since you can select powerful loadings of .357 magnum to use against large animals or use .38 special with less recoil for self-defense.

But honestly if you're just concerned about mountain lions, black bears, and humans you would probably do just fine with a 9mm pistol.
>>
>>31053227
>sincerely worried about aggressive animals
The national park service actively brags about their success bringing back a breeding population of mountain lions to the Olympic Peninsula, which happens to be my primary stompin' grounds for innawoods stuff. Even well traveled old-people day hiker trails in the national park and national forest include warnings about them.
>>
File: 1459577900590.jpg (77KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
1459577900590.jpg
77KB, 900x506px
>>31052347
This sounds like the very few times where the caliber swapping actually comes into play with the P320.
>carrying when not in the outdoors
>keep it in compact or subcompact 9mm configuration
>carrying when hiking and whatnot
>bump it up to a fullsize and possibly in a different caliber like .40
>>
>>31053286
The "extremely retarded" part was directed towards the state requiring a cc permit to purchase a pistol without a wait period. It wasn't intended to demean your desire to protect yourself against large animals.

That being said, I said large and aggressive animals. Mountain lions are not particularly large. A mountain lion is hardly a moose or grizzly. You're not going to have trouble taking down a mountain lion even with 9mm.

Mountain lion attacks are incredibly rare and fatal attacks are even rarer. Unless you're a small child or old and frail you probably don't have to worry.

Even if you are concerned about mountain lions you don't have to be concerned about them shrugging off 9mm. You should be concerned that they're small and agile and you may have more trouble making quick follow up shots if you miss while shooting 10mm or .357 magnum.
>>
>>31053385
Shit, really? I guess I'll just get a wondernine then. I've been looking at the Beretta 92FS or the CZ-75 based on how they fit my hand at a gun show. The only reason I was looking at 10mm/.45acp was I thought I genuinely needed it.
>>
>>31053653
No one can tell you what you need except yourself, but here are the statistics regarding mountain lion attacks: http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/lion_attacks.html
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.