[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

5.56mm THV

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

I could link the article but basically these rounds, designed in the 70s and 80s were higher velocity brass penetrators. According to the article not only did they have superior accuracy but they also caused serious damage, and the obvious benefit to armor penetration since thats what they were designed for.

(my guess, just speculatively based on them being lighter rounds in the 15-20 grain weight range (?) the muzzle velocity must be at least 4000 fps).

So combine Stopping Power AND Penetration together, you would think people would still be making these. Even if it was just a solid homogenous copper projectile to avoid being classed as armor piercing.

The picture here also includes a rare 7.62x51 version and armor piercing pistol versions.

So my question is this... why isnt anybody taking a stab at making these now?

And if "barrel burning" is an issue why not use Powder Coating...

Somebody else on AR15.com forum also recommended them for stopping power for pistols in italy because they're not allowed to use hollowpoints.
>>
They'd make a nice chess set...
>>
>>31049997
If they are as light as you say their accuracy will be shit.
>>
>>31050174
I really want to do this now. Steel case and brass for black and white, FMJ 9mm for pawns, extreme penetrators, JHP, 223 shotshells and OP pic
I can see it now
>>
>>31050174
Get out of my mind.
>>
>>31049997
That 32 looks like the Lehigh loading. I wonder if they got their idea from it.
>>
>>31049997
Anything hot enough to go 400fps is going to eat barrels like no one business. Of course, it appears you pulled that number out of your ass, so the whole thing is irreverent.

Also

>stopping power

nice meme
>>
>>31049997
There are laws about the composition of bullets... which is not directly related to whether it pierces armor or not
>>
>>31049997
ATF doesn't allow production of boolets made of anything but lead.
>>
File: 20160820_153150.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160820_153150.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
I had to lol
I have 10 of these in .357
>45gr projectile
>2400fps from a 4" Model 66
>POI dead on at 50yds
>low flash/recoil
Got these from a border patrol agent that was trying them out in the 80s
>>
>>31050397
clean your keyboard
>>
>>31050412
I'm never home, I know
>>
>>31050281
well that's sure bullshit.
>>
>>31050281
not true.

but yeah a solid brass projo would probably be classified as AP
>>
>>31050445
ATF lets solid copper slide by, but not solid brass for handguns
They just recently banned brass 5.56 projectiles because ar pistols
>>
>>31050457

I dont think they count copper (not brass) as AP.

Also I know its BS about lead bullets because the .50 GI has those CHP rounds that fan out like a fucking flower. Those are copper.

Also FMJ is copper with a lead core, thus not entirely made of lead.

duh-duh-dumbasses
>>
>>31050397

Mmmm, somehow combining .357 magnum and the idea of armor piercing makes me hard.

unrelated, Somehow I knew this thread was going to attract the anti-gun shills and neets who havent fired a gun in their life.

I was hoping to get some "oh wow thats terrific, maybe we should start telling gun guys about it and maybe it just might get done"
>>
>>31050252
for once we agree
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.