[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sporting clays/trap/skeet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_20151212_124019522.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151212_124019522.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
Anyone here do any trap shooting? Post tips if you got 'em. Shot trap this morning for a personal best of 19/25 in a round. One thing I did learn is that it is annoying to stand to the right of someone with a semi-auto shotgun since I was literally being hit every other shot this lady took.

Pic related is my budget 870 express. Tfw poor
>>
>>31047682

I am horrible at this. Like, Literally single digit scores.
>>
File: 1465509422890.png (812KB, 779x960px) Image search: [Google]
1465509422890.png
812KB, 779x960px
>>31047734
I have gotten single digit scores when trying to change up too much of my technique. I'd spend several hours reading and watching videos online b4 going to the range and then shoot 8/25. It sounds stupid but I shoot clays best when I turn off my brain and just "believe in myself". Interestingly this is similar for me to trying to play FPS games on the PC... think less and just let it happen.
>>
File: 1453334007960.jpg (25KB, 292x261px) Image search: [Google]
1453334007960.jpg
25KB, 292x261px
Bump
>>
File: 009.jpg (994KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
009.jpg
994KB, 3264x2448px
>>31047682
>>31047734
>>31047788
>>31047845

1. Point your finger along the fore-end instead of wrapping it around. Your body will naturally put the gun where your finger is pointing.

2. If the clay is transversing (i.e. going sideways) you'll need to lead it by a bit. It really depends on your distance and the clay's speed.

3. Use lighter loads, and get shells with smaller shot. It'll slow down quicker, but it'll give you a better chance at hitting the clay. I use 2 3/4" no.7 shot.

4. You need to hit the clay before it gets outwards of 40 yards or so. The shot will lose momentum and spread out too much to actually break clays consistently.

Honestly, the more you "screw around" with your shotgun and really get a feel for it, the better you'll be at trap shooting. Practice makes perfect. Expecting to be great at trap shooting is the same as buying a new handgun and expecting to bullseye targets at 50 feet out of the box. It isn't going to happen instantly.

And having an 870 for trap is no detriment, pic related is the shotgun I use for casual trap shooting.
>>
>>31047788
Same here, I don't necessarily aim, but when I just feel it, I can hit a solid 20
>>
File: P1060596.jpg (2MB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
P1060596.jpg
2MB, 1920x2560px
>>31047682
I don't really "aim" so much as just point with instinct on skeet. I do aim more often on trap since some of those give plenty of time, and I also like to use a full choke. Also, it seems to me like I need to aim further ahead of clays than feels comfortable if I'm missing. It'll feel like you're way too far ahead, but you aren't. Usually that's my problem.
My shotgun doesn't do much more than kick shells more than a few feet forward and a bit right either. That'd be annoying and it seems further than a shotgun should be ejecting if you are getting hit during trap. Trap stations are a fair distance apart.
I haven't gotten to trap/skeet shoot as much as usual this year since the date changed to the same day I play softball, but I've kept all my scores between 21 and 24 at the skeet/trap. I had one really bad 16/25 trap round this year because I was too lazy to change from cylinder bore to my full choke, but otherwise good pretty normal.
>>
I shoot 23's regularly. My biggest tip is don't buy into the fudds that think a more expensive shotgun is a better shotgun is a better score. It is simply not true. Shotguns are by no means precision instruments, and spending upwards of $1000 for a gun that's designed to "shoot this general area" is asinine. I outshoot the regulars with their Beretta O/U race guns using my 400 nova pump.
>>
>>31047682
I haven't shot in awhile, but I used to be pretty damn good at it. I don't know what to tell you for tips, I mean I'd say just don't aim too much. It's a shotgun after all. Also, semi-auto removes one of my favorite features of shotguns. Pumpin
>>
While I haven't shot skeet, I have shot sporting clays, trap, and bunker trap. I shoot sporting clays for fun so I don't generally care about my score. I enjoyed shooting trap but found it much too easy. So instead I shoot bunker trap, which is much more fun.
Honestly, everyone has a different shoot style. But the few things that you have to keep in mind is that 1. Keep both eyes open 2. Keep your eyes on the clay so you "point" the shotgun and don't aim it 3. No matter how good you are, you will want to get better, when you change your style you will radically drop in score. So for example, if you changed some aspect of your shooting your 19 average might drop to an 8 average but once you practice with your new style it will jump to a 23 average, a better score overall. But don't take this to mean that you should take every piece of advice you get, do what feels right to you. If you plan on getting more serious with it or competing I can give you more tips
>>
File: 1464300701511.jpg (32KB, 380x389px) Image search: [Google]
1464300701511.jpg
32KB, 380x389px
>>31048754
looks gorgeous in front of all those boxes. hhhhnnnnrrrg
>>
A few tips my trap instructor taught me.

1) Stance and mount (how you shoulder the gun are key) are essential to shooting consistently. You should figure out a good mount on the gun that works for you and practice practice practice until mounting the gun becomes second nature.

2) Don't aim using the sight, once you've figured out your mount you should be shooting exactly where you're looking. Trap/skeet/etc is instinctual point shooting.

3) Focus on the "bird", never focus on the sight, focusing on the sight and trying to "aim" the gun will only cause you to slow down and miss short of your target.

4) Follow through, never stop and shoot, always make sure you have a good consistent swing and follow through while you're pulling the trigger. This ensures that you don't try to "trap" the bird which will make you shoot behind the bird.

5) If you're shooting a "field" gun, as opposed to a purpose built trap gun. Always shoot a little high, the reason being that trap birds are always moving up and away from you, by the time the move into a downward trajectory the bird is too far away and you missed your chance. This only really applies to trap since skeet can be moving across relative to your position.

Hope this helps.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.