[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could it be possible to reload primers at all? Like clean out

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: primers_large_small_sxs.jpg (33KB, 500x268px) Image search: [Google]
primers_large_small_sxs.jpg
33KB, 500x268px
Could it be possible to reload primers at all? Like clean out and flatten the dimple out of the spent primer cup and pack it with something that will go off when the primer is struck like normal?

How did they make percussion caps back in the black powder days? Could you reload the brass caps after using them?

This is more for a point of "is it possible to do" rather than any sort of money or resource saving.
>>
>>31027062
how fucking poor are you
>>
File: IMG_20160728_170719190.jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160728_170719190.jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
>>31027116
Jesus Christ, read the last sentence. He poses an interesting question, but he'll get an answer similar to the, "can you reload .22lr?"

Sure, but it's a lot more effort than its worth.

OP, I have no idea but I imagine not. Mercury fulminate is probably usable as a primer, but my anarchist cookbook background in explosives (super shitty) can't think of something relevant and, well, stable.
>>
>>31027062
I think I've heard of people using a punch to get the dent out of the cup, then putting some other reactive stuff in there.
Lots of effort though for a primer.
>>
File: IMG_7538.jpg (2MB, 2496x1664px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7538.jpg
2MB, 2496x1664px
How do these work? Could you substitute them for a real primer?

At least in a percussion cap muzzle loaders?
>>
>>31027280
yes.

they are full of mercury fulminate.

some early BP revolvers used paper tapes like you find in some cap guns.

cap guns are basically using early black powder percussion caps.
>>
>>31027298
You are literally retarded if you think they use mercury fulminate in kids toys.
>>
>>31027062
Yes you can, there are videos of it on youtube and someone here made an instructional picture on how to do it. You pop the primer out, flatten the dimple, move the anvil, fill it with crudely made armstrongs mixture made of matches, and reassemble. Armstrongs mixture is unstable but not terribly so when made in a crude manner like crushed matches. It's probably dangerous, unreliable, and not worth the time, but it is doable.
>>
>>31027155
>than
But you can reload 22lr. It just isn't an practical process
>>
YouTube channel king of Random.
The guy reloads 9mm primers with matches and black powder.
>>
>>31027216
This. A friend and I tried it a while back, just for shits. It was an annoying amount of work and only worked like 1/3 of the time. We used potassium something or other my friend had on hand.
>>31027858
That's the point of what he's saying.
>>31027337
Real percussion caps used to, modern ones do not. Maybe in china or something. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if dollar store cap guns contain some amount of mercury.
>>
>>31027337
those little paper firework snaps, that you throw to make them go POP, are filled with silver fulminate.

>>31027381
add boron carbide to armstrong mixture, to use as a primer.
>>
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/842064/forster-tap-o-cap-11-percusion-cap-maker

The Forster Tap-O-Cap (no longer made, but you can find them on Ebay) was good for making percussion caps out of aluminum cans. Then you stack a couple of toy gun paper caps inside. I've used them on black powder rifles and pistols when a friend gave me some, they worked fine. I suppose you could make your own primer explosive too, but never tried.
>>
File: HPIM0692.jpg (1MB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
HPIM0692.jpg
1MB, 2304x1728px
Be much easier to do with berdan primers versus boxer. Breaking Bad had an episode where Walt made fulminate of mercury in his kitchen. That's really all you need. punch the dimple out of a berdan primer, put a drop of fulminate in and let it dry. With a boxer primer you would need to deal with the anvil. Pic related: some berdan shotgun primers
>>
>>31028285
you should seal your fulminate primers with varnish.
>>
>>31027062
Yes

https://youtu.be/t_7LWCFH5Gc
>>
>>31028302
The Elmer's glue is to seal the overshot wad...
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.