[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SKS vs. AK-47/AK-74

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: .................SKS.jpg (43KB, 455x343px) Image search: [Google]
.................SKS.jpg
43KB, 455x343px
I know this might be a really stupid debate to some people, but I'm curious to see how people on /k/ feel about this.
Fair note I've had problems with both platforms in the past. I had a Norinco SKS and it had a bolt retaining pin that wouldn't come out no matter what.

Then i owned a RAS-47 and got rid of it. Enough said
>Insert Century can't build their own rifles worth shit comment here

I sold one of my Mosin's the other day for 200 and now i plan on selling my Polish P-64 for another 200, and i plan to save up to either get an original military SKS (From either Soviet Union or China in this case Jianshe 26) or a WASR-10, AK-63D, MAK-90, or an M70AB2.

What should i get /k/? Tell me what i should get, i don't wanna feel fucked over after buying lemons again.
Discuss /k/
>>
File: ..................NPAP.jpg (266KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
..................NPAP.jpg
266KB, 1024x768px
>>31024267
bump
>>
>norinco SKS
>RAS-47
I'm new to slav guns, but are those two good guns within their representative families?
>>
>>31024271

bump-a-roni
>>
File: ................Norinco.jpg (5KB, 296x160px) Image search: [Google]
................Norinco.jpg
5KB, 296x160px
>>31024277
OP here, most Norinco SKS's are amazing, i just happened to get one with lemon parts that have been sitting around since god knows how long, probably since 1994.

The RAS-47 is just garbage, it's made from cast trunnions and cast parts instead of forged, so within 5k rounds your rifle will look like someone scooped up the internals with an ice cream scooper.
>>
>>31024271
>Serbshit
>>
>>31024277
Norinco is good, RAS is shit.
If you want a great AK, get Arsenal or Vepr.
>>
>>31024638
What about MAK-90?
>>
>>31024740
Arsenal and Norinco are God tier.
>>
>>31024267
SKS is more accurate than the 47 (not by much I don't think)

47 has more capacity than the SKS (doesn't have that dope bayonet)

74 is no comparison. It's literally better than both in every way (except the bayonet)
>>
>>31024267
Do you mean firing pin retainer when you said bolt retaining pin? I`ve knocked out a few slav surplus pins and they are never easy. It's always cost a punch as I'm driving old surplus tooled steel with a shitty new steel punch. The new steel punch always bends or breaks. I gradually work up the force needed and get it up to beat the living shit out of it before it breaks and starts moving.

If you're referring to the firing pin retainer, I noticed a small spot of rust weld on the firing pin and retainer where they sat together in storage without cosmoline working into that joint. Once it broke free I enlarged the hole minutely on reassembly to allow the pin to break free easier if I ever needed to disassemble that far into the future. Prob. not necessary since punching it in and out within the last 60 years prob loosened it up a bit and I haven't needed to disassemble it since then and could prob clean it internally by soaking it in brake cleaner.

I don't have experience with Norinco being god tier since I avoid them. Seems to me China developed them for export so I figure their motivation is gib money then you can go fuck yourself for all we care. Also the paratrooper model seems a bit sketch in this regard since it's a broken surplus unit they're trying to upsell. I figure the military units they cared more for since they where handled with the intention of directly supporting their army, country and people. Also lowering guality of steel as the decades go by although Norinco may be using old surplus parts to refurb non serial matched units which may negate everything I've said.

I think old surplus is drying up along with no one willing to jump through hoops needed to import them into the US. Even without the gubmint doing everything but completely banning the import of all firearms I still believe,based on looking at canadas surplus, the market is fizzling out and what is left is all the bottom of the barrel stuff other importers turned down.
>>
>>31025161
For instance 20 maybe even 10 years ago you could have spent half the price of what you would spend today on a Russian SKS in relatively pristine condition, whereas now you`re lucky to pick up a Chinese with a replacement stock missing the recoil lug and be happy it's matching numbers for twice the cost factoring inflation and it's all down hill from here due to supply and demand as all surplus moves into the hands of collectors.

As far as capacity vs. the SKS and AK, the SKS was designed with the intention of taking the duck bill detachable mag. before AK made the platform obsolete. I`m really not sure how the AK made the SKS obsolete besides the AK being far easier to manufacture. It seems irrelevant in the western world considering either guns are banned, Mag is pinned to 5 rounds if Canada or 922R non compliant if US. If US you're looking at compliance with 922r with AK or SKS so there's no benefit either way beyond the SKS can be 922r non compliant with the stock 10 round fixed mag or you`re into pistol grips or folders.
>>
>>31024267
Sounds like you got terribly unlucky with the sks, and IDK much about the ras-47 or it's issues. IDK if I should believe the horror stories, or if it's just /k/ being /k/ and regurgitating bullshit. There's certain guns you absolutely CAN NOT have a proper discussion about on here because everyone regurgitates rubbish info.
>ak vs sks
Unless it's an arsenal ak with modern features, I'd pick an sks over a wasr tier ak personally. And the arsenal would be the only ak that could even begin to possibly steal some range time from my all time favorite gun, the vz58.
I have a ton of fun using stripper clips in the sks/vz, and I think they're just easier to take with me when I'm out walking and shooting. 30rd mags have never been comfy in my pockets. I also do see some benefit from the longer sight radius on the sks.
Back when I first got my sks, I looked up lots of accuracy tests between sks rifles and norincos seemed to come out on top more often than not.
I'm still a firm believer that ammo choice is more important to accuracy though. After some interesting experiences buying other brands and seeing chrono results varying as much as 300+fps from a 16in barrel, I won't touch anything but GT any more. I feel like 762x39 has huge quality gaps between brands.
>vs ak-74
The ak-74 is a different animal altogether. The base rifle normally has the features I like most in an ak(74 style brake). It's very low recoil and easy to stay on target, which makes some 4x power optics pretty handy too. You never lose sight of what you are firing at.
The bullet is pretty nasty on critters I've shot, the 60gr commercial ammo seems slightly nastier than the 7n6 when it comes to yawing.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.