[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Selecting the perfect Glock

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: Glock 19 vs 17.jpg (48KB, 446x368px) Image search: [Google]
Glock 19 vs 17.jpg
48KB, 446x368px
Hey /k/ not really sure if this deserves it's own thread but you guys have helped me a lot so far. I've been researching for a few weeks now on getting my first handgun and like most people I have ended up at getting a Glock. I've narrowed between a Glock 19 or 17 but I feel completely overwhelmed by all the options. Theres Gen 3 and Gen 4, the prices vary so much that its hard to tell what really is a good price. Is a gen 3 19 worth more than a gen 4 17? I'm rambling at this point so for those of you that have bought multiple Glocks, which one would be the most straight-up basic Glock to get? Does the size difference really make a difference between a 17 & 19? Any advice or tips on choosing the right Glock would be much appreciated.
>>
The quintessential Glock is the Gen 3 19. It is the glock of glocks.
>>
>>31016019
go to gun store and hold a gen3 and gen 4. we can talk about it all day but ultimately, feel is subjective and none can tell you how this or that gun feels in your hand.
as far as 17 vs 19, go with the 19. its small enough for CC but not so small that it cant be used as a primary sidearm.
seriously, go check them out in person
>>
File: 15523-DEFAULT-l.jpg (64KB, 900x568px) Image search: [Google]
15523-DEFAULT-l.jpg
64KB, 900x568px
>>31016038
It's what I settled on when I decided to finally get a handgun that didn't have origins predating the MIG-15. Should get here next week, around the same time as the Ghost 3.5 trigger connector.
>up next; goat engraved backplate, Trijicon night sights, and Surefire XC1
>>
>>31016019
I find the 19 easier to shoot because it is more balanced in the hand IMO. The gen 3 has better grip patterning and is the Glockest.
>>
>>31016019

19 is the jack of all trades glock. Big enough to be a service pistol, small enough to conceal. Gen 3 comes with 2 mags, while Gen 4 comes with 3, that's why it costs a bit more.

If you have to get one now, either one is fine, but I hear gen 5 is coming next year, and that might be even better.

If you have small hands, a gen4 might be more comfortable than gen 3. Gen 4 texture is rough for concealment. Gen 3 mag release is a bit small, but vickers release solves this. Get new sights for both. That about covers it.
>>
>>31016019

A gen 3 should cost $500, gen 4 $550. You can always negotiate or wait for a sale.
>>
File: PS-roland-special-patch-at-armor.jpg (112KB, 1136x852px) Image search: [Google]
PS-roland-special-patch-at-armor.jpg
112KB, 1136x852px
>>31016019
Perfect Glock you say?
>>
>>31016019
wait for the new gen 5s.
>>
>>31016165
Nice joke
>>
>>31016038
Sometimes I feel like the only dude who can't enjoy the 19

My hands are too big, and it doesn't feel comfortable; it's why I opt for full-size pistols
>>
>>31016038
>>31016048
>>31016067
>>31016137
>>31016142
>>31016153
>>31016160
>>31016165
You are all beautiful human beans. The only reason I was thinking about the 17 was because I heard the longer barrel would be better for the range. But now I agree with you guys with the 19. The more versatile for my first gun the better. and for >>31016165 would the gen 5 be worth waiting for?
>>
>>31016217
Thank god I have tiny hands ha...haha...
>>
there are different glocks?
>>
>>31016221
> and for >>31016165 would the gen 5 be worth waiting for?
We have no idea when the Gen 5 will be available, it could easily be a year.
>>
>>31016221
He was making a dumb joke likening the gun to an apple product. Get the Gen 3.
>>31016236
You'd better be pretending to be retarded.
>>
>>31016259
ah ok
>>
>>31016019
The perfect glock is a Walther.
>>
File: tumblr_o3u80273Zu1tsjopqo1_1280.jpg (104KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o3u80273Zu1tsjopqo1_1280.jpg
104KB, 1080x1080px
>>31016221
Put your hands on a g19, if the finger grooves bother you, wait for 19m. Otherwise buy with confidence
>>
I prefer a G17 to a G19, and I carried and shot a G19 for years. I bought into the whole "big enough to fight with, small enough to conceal" thing. A G19 is a fine pistol, don't get me wrong. I just find that I shoot a G17 better. It fits my hand better with the finger grooves (a G19 is a little cramped due to the spacing of the grooves) and that extra bit of sight radius really helps me (I've got shit eyesight). I find it recoils a bit smoother, and find no noticeable difference in sight tracking. I can conceal a G17 with no issues in a normal-sized t-shirt. In fact, when I made the switch, all but one of my holsters were G17 length anyway.

The only thing I can tell you is to shoot them side by side. Handling them only goes so far. Having said that, the half inch shaved off the grip does make a big difference in concealment for most people.

Supposedly the G17s are just a hair more reliable, though I forget the reasoning behind that.
>>
>>31016221

I wouldn't.

Glock is going to be busy filling the FBI contract, for the G17/19M as well as those federal agencies who jump on that, followed by the local agencies who decide to jump on right now. Furthermore, trying to get one upon release will probably look a lot like it was tracking down a Glock 43 when they were new -- waiting lists out the ass at gun stores, online stuff going out of stock within a few minutes.
>>
>>31016259
>it could easily be a year.
It's going to be 2018. Quote me. No way they'll be in any sort of hurry to get the 5 out while they fulfill Gov and law enforcement contracts for their 17/19M.
>>
>>31016019
Their best model is the FNS-9.
>>
>>31016221

Go feel them yourself. G17 is a bit comfortable, but G19 is more utilitarian. Gen 4 G19 is one comfortable pistol though.
>>
>>31016715
>No way they'll be in any sort of hurry to get the 5 out while they fulfill Gov and law enforcement contracts for their 17/19M.
Unless they want to beta test it on the public by releasing a completely faulty product/generation right from the start and then spend the better part of ~6-7 years barely fixing it until they release another Gen.
Again.
>>
>>31016820
>it took him seven years to replace a recoil spring
It was my understanding the first run of the"gen5" is being made specifically so that they could snipe the FBI contract.

have they made any comments about if/when they would be releasing them to the public?
>>
>>31016019
start with the 19/23 because they are considered the pinnacle of glock perfection. Based on that see if you want something bigger like a 17, 21, 20, or smaller like a 26, 43. Thats what i did at least, you can also swap mags and parts accordingly. Need something small to carry but want some extra ammo? Use the 26 and bring a 19 mag, or if you find the 19 too small upgrade to the 17. Its like a lego set and really for all the shit it gets the "get a glawk 19" crowd has some merit to it
>>
>>31016859
There isn't even a Gen 5 yet.
The FBI has already selected Glock and the G17/19M and the G17/19M is still a Gen 4, just with changes/updates. Similar to the G3 RTF2 guns, just with greater/more changes.

It's pure speculation still that Glock will even announce Gen 5 anytime soon, it's just a possibility. They may just release the "M" guns and hang on with that for a few years before releasing a completely new generation. Or they may realize the G4 was a bit of a failure and try to get a G5 out that's more competitive with the market quickly within a year or so.
Could go either way.
>>
>>31016217
youre not, which is a shame because I really wanted to love the 19 but I cant get a comfortable grip on it. If I shoot a few mags from it it starts to hurt after a while so god help me if I get into a running gun battle with ISIS, because my hands will hurt and ill cry and go home. I primarily carry a g17 but I have a 19 just for practical purposes
>>
>>31016936
>Or they may realize the G4 was a bit of a failure

?
>>
>>31016976
The first 2 years of release was an absolute disaster that made it seem like Glock did absolutely no testing or assurance before release at all with the ejection and extraction.
Even the G3s produced from then on somehow had the same issues.
Then up until now they mostly figured it out, but there's still plenty of people with extraction/ejection issues that they can't get fixed.

And in that time frame Glock has lost more than a few sales to S&W, H&K, etc.
Maybe not enough to really hurt them, but enough to notice.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.