[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Boo/k/lub Episode 01

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 15

File: bkE01.jpg (115KB, 936x702px) Image search: [Google]
bkE01.jpg
115KB, 936x702px
Howdy /k/ommandos.

This is the first edition of the recurring Boo/k/lub Thread. You are encouraged to recommend books for us to read. You are obliged to leave a brief and informative synopsis. You are invited to leave a personal review and a DEFKON rating (5: i hated this piece of shit - 1: buy this book immediately or i will murder your family).

All recommendations are accepted, but the topics should relate to weapons, warfare, the theories behind warfare, the technical understanding of weapons, tactics, and warfare, and of course instruction manuals. As such, Fiction, Non-Fiction, White Papers, Gray Papers, and homebrew thesis papers are all acceptable. Please leave a link to the source material, or an explanation for the lack of one (out of print, paywall blocked, verboten, etc.)

All entries will be saved and popular entries will be listed in later editions. You are encouraged to keep your own list as well.

If you are opposed to book learnin' or just generally avoid academia, i feel bad for you. Please do not spam hatred.
>>
Shield and Sword: The United States Navy and the Persian Gulf War by Edward J. Marolda and Robert J. Schneller Jr. 1998

This book is a detailed recounting of the U.S. Navy's role in Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm, one of the most successful campaigns in American military history.

If you have ever wondered how the U.S. actually projects power globally, this is a book you will enjoy. With detailed descriptions of assets used, logistical methods employed, mistakes and successes in methodology and implementation, S&S is a dense compendium of maps, lists, and illustrations. Rife with pictures and dense recounts, this tome has much useful information for military analysts, aspiring and active servicemen, and armchair generals alike.

DEFKON RATING: 2

Link: https://books.google.com/books/about/Shield_and_Sword.html?id=01jTzIY0BFUC
>>
Killing Monsters

Pretty niche, but anyone with /k/ids might want to have a look. It's basically about how pretend violence is good for developing minds, it's cross-cultural, empowering, and all that good shit that kids need to grow up confident and self-assured.

DEFKON RATING: 3 (take it or leave it unless you have a kid or are sick of "he's not allowed to have toy guns!" in which case it's a 2)

https://books.google.com/books?id=_BpjRPeaLZIC
>>
That one book about Louis Zamperini is a Bretty good read if you like reading about bombers, being stranded at sea, and Japanese POW camps
>>
Shake Hands With the Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda by Lt. General Romeo Dallaire with Major Brent Beardsley 2003

"Serving in Rwanda during 1993-94 as UN Force Commander, Lt.Gen. Romeo Dallaire and his small peacekeeping force found themselves abandoned by the world's major powers in a vortex of civil war and genocide."

This book is a first hand account of the deep failings of the UN as an organization as well as a force projection entity. Feelings of helplessness and impotence lace the pages as we watch an overwhelmed and ill equipped officer attempt to meet impossible demands in an unforgiving Area of Operation. Fans and detractors of the UN will gain a deeper understanding of just how hard it is to establish unit cohesion, sound strategy, and force discipline when your troops have no common language, equipment, or methodologies. It will be aggravating in the extreme for any former or current service members to read about these amateurs making mistake after mistake in their approach to the events of the 1993-94 Rwandan Genocide. Hidden in the pages of this book are deeper insights into just how inept President Clinton was in matters martial. Special Forces units form the US, France, and Great Britain, more than capable of handling poorly armed and malnourished street rabble, were camped just across the border in Burundi. World leaders intentionally ignored the Lt. General's desperate pleas for a change in the RoE and more assets and supplies. The shameful way this Artillery Officer was defamed and denigrated after the conflict brings to light the selfish and shortsighted methods of the West when it comes to police actions and Binding Resolution enforcement. We all know the UN is a toothless organization; this book is a high res snapshot of the infected, bleeding gums of that hollow body.

DEFKON RATING: 3

https://www.amazon.com/Shake-Hands-Devil-Failure-Humanity/dp/0786715103
>>
Everything recommended in this archived thread

>>30989722
>>
>>31016130
This sounds fascinating.
>>
File: 41v0Ckz825L.jpg (29KB, 324x500px) Image search: [Google]
41v0Ckz825L.jpg
29KB, 324x500px
Dispatches.
It has a very unique prose, it's a fantastic book about Vietnam.
>>
>>31016161
It is. I wrote about 4000 characters in my review, so i had to cut out just how much this book means to me. I remember well and with horror when this happened; i was under 10yo and i lived in a house with no TV, so i read voraciously. I loved the newspaper and when this occurred i wept uncontrollably, unable to fathom how my country could let this happen (I was young, so young). I remember reading an account of the butchering of the Belgian soldiers who were ordered to put down their weapons mere minutes before they would have their Achilles tendons cut. They would later be executed at the leisure of the butchers. I remember vowing to hate the shitty CO that allowed this to happen.

Reading this years later, my eyes were opened to just how fucking stupid it is to let bureaucrats and politicians run wars.

To the scrutinizing reader, there is so much that can be cross referenced to other events involving the world leaders at the time, especially Clinton.

For me this book is a DEFKON 1, but i am biased.

I hope you read it, and i hope you contribute books you like/have learned from if you feel amenable.
>>
File: kirov.jpg (63KB, 800x400px) Image search: [Google]
kirov.jpg
63KB, 800x400px
i ordered Kirov a few days ago(like the final countdown, but with a space-and-time traveling kirov class battlecruiser instead of a Nimiz). should be here in a few days

also, the series the book is in is fucking massive. anyone have read them? any good?
>>
File: mpr8-gwlefm-682x382.1423081912.jpg (24KB, 682x382px) Image search: [Google]
mpr8-gwlefm-682x382.1423081912.jpg
24KB, 682x382px
I feel like these /k/ book threads are the most important /k/ threads. Most people on here want to be an operator, or solid snake, or a combat soldier, or in military combat of some kind. For most that's an abstraction that you can't obtain. So what's the second best? What's going to best portray the feelings of being those things? BOOKS BITCH! FUCKING BOOKS!
>>
Blood Red Snow

We hardly see WWII from the German point of view, especially what life was like for the average teen foot soldier.

This book was one of the first German memoirs I read, and it changed my understanding and view on the whole eastern front. "Blood Red Snow" doesn't get into tactics or politics, it's just a first person narrative of one young german machine gunner.
An incredible book describing an incredible era.

If you want to know more, there are plenty of Amazon reviews.

DEFKON 2
>>
i just got nuclear war survival skills off of half.com, definitely worth $6
>>
>
>>
Hello

Does anyone have PDF to: pat mcnamara's Combat Strength Training?
: pic related (Sniper One)
i can't see to find them online
thanks
>>
>>31017801
do you fool around with Tor?
>>
>>31017848
yes, i do browse sometimes. is there a download link or a library you can lead me to?
>>
>>31017867
http://3cpleimu2getp5q7.onion/library/

a lot here. not sure if your's is, but worth checking. Leddit's Tor sub has huge lists of libraries so you can peruse and not have to talk to those flagons.
>>
>>31017889
thanks, will check it out
>>
>>31017801
Sniper One was bretty gud, 5/5

Too bad I lost my copy and can't remember the name of the town they were stationed in
>>
>>31016638
Reading this now. Fucking amazing story. I noticed he mistakenly calls the PPSh 41 a Kalashnikov.
>>
>>31017937
You had a physical copy?
>>
>>31016638
Also "the forgotten soldier". French-German sent to eastern front, from 1942-45. Fights in all 3 battles of kursk (?) And is a truck driver, has to choose which wounded to abandon when truck gets too heavy and sinks in the mud. Very riveting and saddening.
DEFKON 2, highly recommend
>>
>>31017942
Paperback copy, yeah. Actually, it might still be around here somewhere.
>>
What are some titles for highly recommend WW1 books?
>>
File: img_bk_wine_war.jpg (66KB, 500x756px) Image search: [Google]
img_bk_wine_war.jpg
66KB, 500x756px
>>31014568
Basically, a bunch of French people somehow found something to be even more butthurt about than outright Nazi occupation. The fact that the wine crops got ruined.

I laughed when reached the anecdote where the Americans spiced up the expensive frog liquor gifted to them with medical alcohol.
>>
>>31018171
Oh right, DEFKON 4. The book is mostly just french people going on and on about how special their wine is and how big Charles De Gaulle's cock was.
>>
File: team yankee.jpg (59KB, 293x475px) Image search: [Google]
team yankee.jpg
59KB, 293x475px
>no team yankee
it's like you guys don't like stopping the russians from swarming through the fulda gap
>>
>>31014568

>Low level Hell
Someone on /k/ recommend this book a while ago. Definitely a good read.
DEFKON RATING 3

>>31016638
DEFKON RATING 2
This was a really good book.
The part where they are being overrun by the T-34s was incredible.
>>
Book about badass operator with ALS. Defkon 4.
>>
>>31017938
That's not the author's fault.
When the book was translated from german to English, some things got messed up.

There was a character early in the book he called Sargent Black, later in the book, he was referred to as Sargent Schwartz.
In some places, shrapnel is referred to as splinters.
>>
File: One Second After.jpg (34KB, 279x498px) Image search: [Google]
One Second After.jpg
34KB, 279x498px
I rarely read fiction, but this is probably one of my favorite books I've read. Great story of a small town surviving an EMP Pulse and banding together in the aftermath, kinda makes you think of Jericho if anyone's watched that. DEFCON 1.5
>>
>>31018432
I miss that show. Sucks that it was only a season
>>
File: image.jpg (52KB, 640x461px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52KB, 640x461px
any of you fags know any good books about the Warsaw Uprising? Looked into it on wikipedia and it got me hooked
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.