[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any use for traditional armor today?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

File: maile.png (115KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
maile.png
115KB, 250x250px
Not against firearms or at all in the military, I mean. I'm not suggesting putting marines in full plate.

But would, say, chain-mail, provide decent protection from non-firearm attacks from modern things, like say a hammer or a modern knife?

Would a steel breastplate provide any protection against small calibers?
>>
knife, yes. hammer, by the gods no.
>>
>Knife
Chain may stop it depending on the construction, ring size, and tip thickness/width of the knife stabbing you
>>
>>31010590
RIOTERS IN EASTERN YUROP
>>
Yeah sure, I mean clearly a steel plate if made good enough will stop a bullet and mail was good against most everything but just getting the shit beat out of you.

Back in the days they even used ring mail to stop pistol bullets. And by "the days" I mean like 1920.
>>
>>31010634
>hammer, by the gods no.

What about mail with a leather jacket layer?
>>
>>31010590
Useful if you expect to be attacked by a shark.
>>
>>31010787
pretty much this. Might also work against some wild animals. Don't know how plate mail stacks up to a bear suit.
>>
>>31010590
I'd wager even a thick gambeson with other heavy clothing would weaken knife attacks by quite a margin, and do alright against blunt weapons.
Chain would add protection against stabbing and slashing, nothing against blunt though. But, really, in my opinion it's not worth it. Both weight-wise and cost-wise. Weighs and costs too much for normal usage if you're just some average joe walking around.
A plate harness, provided it was made well, would provide excellent protection against pretty much everything besides blunt, in which case it would certainly help but not as much as it does against slashes and stabs.

I don't know much about modern armors (so correct me if I'm wrong) but if I remember correctly, there's something called AR-500 steel plates they use in modern armor?
>>
>>31010663
>Knife
>Chain may stop it depending on the construction, ring size, and tip thickness/width of the knife stabbing you

I imagine if hat its not butted rings (costume mail), it would at the very least keep the whole knife from going in. You might get the tip.

As well as stop all slashes.
>>
>>31010826
Dis , Only real functional use
>>
Mail still disperses some force, you would do much better against a claw hammer with it than without it.

For practical purposes a concealed stab vest is a much better idea these days.
>>
I don't know what these cucks are talking about but mail is not that awsome at stopping a stab. If the tip is broad then u have a chance. But really, the idea behind chain mail when it was invented was to keep your limbs on ur body. It takes a sword slash and turns the damage into that similar to a baseball bat... instead of lopping it clean off
>>
>>31014919
Knives these days aren't made to penetrate chain mail, the vast majority would get stopped before any serious damage happens simply because the blade is too broad
>>
File: 1398467467581.jpg (3MB, 1927x2748px) Image search: [Google]
1398467467581.jpg
3MB, 1927x2748px
>>31014919
A knife has to be both narrow and strong to penetrate mail. That is why knives with this sort of blade were common.

Problem is its not good at cutting or utility.
>>
>>31010590

During WW1 they experimented with plate armor. The US used a vandium steel alloy where a 18ga sheet would stop a .45 at point blank.

As for chain? You can make the weave tight enough to stop a knife from stabbing you and reduce the damage from bludgeons, but it'd take a month to make a shirt without machine assistance.
>>
Would wear one around for strength training as a civilian thing probably doesn't have much military use, probably wouldn't want to wear it for more than a march pace though shin splints suck and who wants achey knees?
If it doesn't stop a knife it'd probably do a good job at making the injury less severe than if you weren't wearing it. Could fuck up a blade pretty good too wrecking the edge knife vs metal is going to screw up the blade or outright break it maybe. Getting shot would be pretty bad with those the rings would probably break and get pushed into the wound along with the bullet.
>>
>>31010590
Zombie protection.

All those movies are dumb you could just literally put on hockey/riot gear and be impenetrable to zombies.

Also riot protection.
>>
>>31010590
German Police use chainmail when dealing with crazy people wielding knives
>>
>>31012854
>For practical purposes a concealed stab vest is a much better idea these days.

Do stab vests tend to cover the arms and legs?

I'm thinking of chain-mail sleeves.
>>
>>31016104

That's pretty rad
>>
knife? sure
high quality steel plate against a pistol? Sure, see those AR500 plates, some high grade modern steel formed into a breastplate can help.
Anyone with a rifle? hahahaha it's just that much more metal being poked into you faggot, should have thought of that before weighing yourself down
>>
>>31010590
mail is pretty much impervious to slashing attacks and pretty darn resistant to stabbing (unless you're attacking with a needle).

Chefs also use gloves made of mail when filleting meats, as the knife very often slips and slices against the hand holding the meat.
>>
>>31010590
Unless you live in an area with regular unrest, or are planning on going into one, any benefits of this seem to be outweighed (put unintended, but hey it fucking works, I'm rollin with it) by how cumbersome it would be to constantly wear something that heavy.
>>
proper welded maille should protect very well against your basic shivs and such. Especially modern stainless armor for butcher's gloves and shark suits, with the tiny rings welded by a machine.

but if you get shot, I can only imagine it would make things much worse, with metal shrapnel entering the wound.
>>
>>31010590
www.mailletec.com
these niggas sell welded maille shirts for about 400$

not very pretty to look at but it's relatively cheap since it's partly machine made
>>
>>31010590
Modern high rated stab resistance armors are essentially brigandine suites.
>>
>>31010590

Lower end bullet-proof vests ARE steel breastplates.
>>
>>31010590
gambeson and maille stopped swords 1000 years ago, they'd stop knives today
Breastplates could stop penetration from firearms for a good while, mainly at longer ranges though, they'd penetrate more often than not at close distance
>>
>>31018556
>they'd penetrate more often than not at close distance
Even at close range, breastplates were usually enough to stop early pistols, but larger caliber muskets with longer barrels were able to punch through.
While this is not the most accurate reproduction armor, or the type most people think of, but it should give you an idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSxFY917UH8
>>
>>31018602
yeah I was talking about muskets and arquebuses, but yeah they served well against early pistols
mounted pistoleers were still good shit though
>>
File: cheeki_breeki_armour.jpg (454KB, 900x619px) Image search: [Google]
cheeki_breeki_armour.jpg
454KB, 900x619px
>>31010590
In a civil unrest situation a leather gambeson or chainmail would be better than nothing.
Just look at the Knights of the Ukraine Riots.
>>
>>31010753
skip both, go gambison
>>
>>31012835
Some knifes were designed to either break one link or to go to a lethal depth with out breaking a link. The first type is highly uncommon these days, the second it (or things based on it) is still some what common among fighting knifes.
>>
Yea I've seen pictures of German police special forces wearing them when they were arresting a chainsaw wielding guy in his home. Poc related.
>>
>>31015530
>not good at slashing
ftfy since you dont seem to know anything about bladed weapons
>>
>>31016395
Hey, if American cops can pretend to be cowboys or oper8rs, then German cops can pretend to be knights.
>>
What about leather armor, or scale armor?
>>
>>31019888
Your comment is irrelevant, mail stops both cuts and slashes. And rondel daggers are bad at both.

You still need a specially designed knife to effectively penetrate mail.
>>
>>31011345
Correct about the plates.

Unfortunately, if we're talking about a breast plate, say circa 1800 that heavy cavalry would wear, AR 500 is too heavy.
Anyone with a plate carrier will tell you that they are not light, and they only cover the vital upper chest.
The plates that were used back then we're typically not the 3/4 inch thickness we see in battle rattle today. The thickness varied, of course, but it was almost gauge thickness. Very thin. This is also partially why soldiers could move so well in a suit of armor.
Don't get me wrong, anything that you can put between you and a bullet I'd great, but the armor of old is not designed to withstand firearms.

Knife attacks can almost definitely be stopped by mail, depending on the weave pattern. Thrusts are more likely to bypass mail, but slashing attacks are stopped very well. And so are sharks.

As an anon said above, padded armor is your only hope against heavy blunt weapons like hammers. A gambeson would work well, i think. Anything you can use to dissipate the force of impact over a larger are will help.
>>
>>31010590
Chainmail would be good for animal attacks, like sharks or dogs, but mostly sharks.
>>
>>31021927
>The plates that were used back then we're typically not the 3/4 inch thickness we see in battle rattle today.
http://www.allenantiques.com/Armour-Breastplates-Collection.html
>>
>>31019888
There was nothing wrong with what he said. Cutting and slashing aren't necessarily the same the former can be a second intention movement.

I assumed on top of that he meant they weren't great for cutting in an out of combat context since even in the most violent of times knives were still majority utility weapons.
>>
>>31024371
3/4 of an inch > 3mm
>>
>>31010590
hammer? no, but with a gambeson under possibly, itd def help rather than having nothing
depending on the shape of the knife and tip, mail could be useful, but today a gambeson would probably be the most practical out of historical armor

but still probably not much, i dont think a gambeson would be seen as normal or really convenient for you yourself except in winter, but a gambeson would help more than mail against a hammer blow and DEFINITELY knife cuts or stabs. its basically just a thick ass padded jacket.

plate stopping bullets? very unlikely, tempered plate, small calibers maybe but wearing plate to stop a bullet is like entirely impractical

TLDR the only historical armor thatd be useful today would be a gambeson/aketon/padded jack (its literally just a thick ass coat) because its very VERY good at protecting from cuts and against a modern pocket knife or something youd encounter, very good too
but even then you can only comfortably really wear it in daily life when its not very hot
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.