[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was the wheellock phased out by the flintlock? Mechanical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: 1401144590904.jpg (447KB, 1124x947px) Image search: [Google]
1401144590904.jpg
447KB, 1124x947px
Why was the wheellock phased out by the flintlock? Mechanical differences aside, the wheellock seemed to have less drawbacks than the flintlock - accidental firing and the like.
>>
Wheellocks are very expensive to manufacture- they need to fit like a mechanical watch. Flintlocks are much simpler and cheaper to make.
>>
>>31009493
Wheelock was far more expensive to produce and very difficult to repair if broken.
>>
File: wheellock.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
wheellock.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>31009649
>they need to fit like a mechanical watch
Sure, like a toy watch...
>>
>>31009667
Now do it with hand tools and supplies available to the average 16th century gunsmith, and make it reliable and sturdy enough for repeated firing.
>>
>>31009698
They knew about gear ratios since at least the 14th century.
>>
>>31009797
so?
>>
>>31009797
Knowing about something does not make them easy to produce.
>>
How did the idea of mass production not become a thing earlier?
>>
>>31009915
You need interchangeable parts for that, which requires a level of precision in manufacturing pretty much impossible without machine tools.
>>
>>31009838
>Do everything in wood beforehand
>Get iron/steel
>Forge flat and into rough 'circles' of 2 sizes
>Punch holes into 'circles'
>Make spring lathe
>Get a file/rasp
>Make steel 'circles' into circles
>Make circles into gears
>Forge a rough |_| shape for a gear box
>Punch holes into gear box during forging
>Forge pins
>mock up gear box
>forge weld small gear to large gear where necessary
>put together pins, gearbox, and gears
>make another steel circle
>turn it into a file
>put into gearbox
>make a stock to house the gearbox
>Have linear trigger travel that turns gear box and pushes the file wheel (whole gearbox) into a flint.
>include a return spring (15th century technology)
>>
>>31010057

Wow, that sounds long and tedious as hell. Guess we'll make those for the richfags. Regular folks get an easy spring loaded lock and hammer with flint.

>ty for making my point for me fag
>>
>>31010095
>Clipping stock into smaller pieces
>Forging flat and circular
>Using a pole lathe
>making gears
>forge welding
>hard/tedious
Sure..... If you're a serf.

The worst part would be making the file wheel. You could even cheese it with the gearbox by making it out of wood if basic forging is too hard...
>>
>>31010149
Flint locks were easier and cheaper to produce. Your assertions don't change that.
>>
>>31009649
What about the flintlocks accidentally firing that the OP's asserting? I've never heard of anything like that.
>>
>>31009493
Wheel locks are expensive, delicate (clock work spring), and slow to load because you have to wind that bitch up with a key.
>>
>>31010335
My point was that wheel locks were only precision things for their time because they were designed poorly even given the technology of the time.
And that the same core concept for the action could have been executed much better.
>>
>>31009950
>without machine tools
Machine tools aren't the limiting factor for interchangeable parts, they can be made entirely by hand if required.
The thing that made interchangeable parts possible (read: really take off) was the invention of the micrometer.
>>
>>31009493
holy shit those are beautiful. are those like the colt python equivalents of 1760?
>>
>>31010457
This guy knows what's up.
>>
>>31010457
>you have to wind that bitch up with a key.
did they not understand thumb screws or were they just focused on the asceticism of the piece?
>>
>>31009493
wheellock offers only marginal advantages in terms of reliability and reducing chances of misfires.
But at the same time it extreamly complex in comparison and the wheel have to be replaced regularly to to keep reasonable rate of misfires.
>>
>>31009915
it did, but it wasn't possible with certain types of products until later.

for example, Venetian ships were mass produced, as were early printed books, crossbow components, etc.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.