[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the /k/ judgement on piston ARs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: Piston.jpg (55KB, 1024x486px) Image search: [Google]
Piston.jpg
55KB, 1024x486px
I want to know what the /k/onsensus is.
>>
>>31003857
From what I know you use piston for short barrel/pistol style ARs.

Piston work better in short barrels than gas does. It also helps keep the stuff clean.
>>
ZM LR 300 never
>>
Any info on Ruger SR556? They've come down in price just recently.
>>
>>31003893
>It also helps keep the stuff clean
This is nonsense, it's just another part you need to clean.
>>
File: 3b1e59df.jpg (62KB, 700x504px) Image search: [Google]
3b1e59df.jpg
62KB, 700x504px
>>31003857
>>
>>31004168
Insanely good rifle.
>>
>>31003857
It's nice because I don't get carbon buildup in the chamber, but it's annoying because I have to take my 556 completely apart to clean built up carbon of the piston. Not that there's really any issue with some carbon buildup, but I'm anal about my rifle being clean.
>>
>>31004190
Sounds plausible, Ruger stuff is sometimes diamonds, mini-14, P-94 etc.

>>31004205
What are you using?
>>
>>31004205
>It's nice because I don't get carbon buildup in the chamber
You're a liar. The majority of chamber carbon is due to the left over contamination in the barrel being pulled back into the chamber during case extraction.
>>
>>31004215
Sig 556 swat patrol. To clean my piston I spilt the lower, take out the bolt, take my forend apart which isn't hard, then take the gas mechanism out and then can clean the piston. Itd probably help if I was shooting cleaner ammunition, but that little whore eats through everything I feed it.

>>31004223
Well then there's some other reason why I have very little carbon buildup in the chamber. Should've said don't get much, but still.
>>
>>31003857
Unless it's no compromise, they are hyped shit
>>
>>31003857
A solution looking for a problem. Most experts in the AR15 community figured this out when the bottom fell out underneath the DI AR market where anyone could build/buy one off the shelf for 650 dollars and run it hard without issues.

DI AR's are fine and run for tens of thousands of rounds without any problem.

Carbine gas 16" rifles are slightly overgassed with a short dwell time which suprisingly helps with cycling weak/varied loads of ammunition at the cost of accelerated parts wear which you wont really see unless you do magdumps since most civilians fire their rifles in semi automatic.
This problem is mostly mitigated by undersizing gas ports and installing heavier buffers and recoil springs. Midlength gas systems outright fixed dwell times at 16".
>>
>>31004251
>Well then there's some other reason why I have very little carbon buildup in the chamber. Should've said don't get much, but still.
Yeah, I'll take physics over your anecdote.
>>
>>31004223
This man(or woman) is correct.

>>31004251
How many rounds do you put through it on average monthly? Try to answer without exaggerating or doubling the actual amount please.
>>
>>31003857
Well, I had one.
It was very accurate and fun. You do get an amazing amount of accuracy from the cheek weld even without a stock and rapid firing it is pretty accurate too because of the cheek weld and 2 hand grip and low recoil.
If you live in a state like Ohio, you get to enjoy the privilege of it being a pistol, which your concealed handgun permit applies to. Meaning you can keep one loaded in your car unlike if it were a rifle. Lastly, it has about as much energy (depending on barrel length) as a .44mag which is pretty awesome with a 30 round magazine. I'd recommend getting at leat the 10.5" barrel as an absolute minimum though. Not only does it look boss but it is just barely enough to get you over that magic 2,500fps where 5.56 has it's magic.

As for the bad things.. it's a ton of noise and flash and you can't really EDC it like a normal handgun. The longer barrel of a rifle makes for a much quieter gun without the huge fireball. The pistol can scare the shit out of other people at the range. Not sure if you think that's a positive or not. So you have to decide what you want.

An AR pistol makes a perfect truck gun IMO, however, a full length rifle makes a better weapon... other than a good EDC pistol that is.
>>
>>31003857
ARs already have a piston, that's the bolt-carrier.
>>
>>31004372
I thought you said pistol AR.
Piston ar's are cool but I wouldn't pay extra.
>>
>>31004380
Literally the only piston ar I would buy is the mr556 if it was 800$ less and don't have those retarded takedown pins
Also not chrome lined
>>
>>31004307
Not an ar person, nor have I kept track of the situation for the last couple years. But how did ars get so cheap? Are these $600-700 guns like the S&W M&P15 and Ruger AR556 just junk, or is there an over-supply that lead to the current situation?
>>
>>31005012
The patent on the AR-15 expired long ago. The equipment needed to manufacture an AR-15 no longer costs as much. Now that there are many AR-15 manufacturers instead of just a few, more AR-15's are being made then ever before, and the market has become saturated.

Anyone that wants an AR-15 now can basically have one because of all of those factors.
>>
>>31004330
If I'm having to average for the entire year, it would be around 100-150 with 150 being a high estimate. The past three months it's seen roughly 1000 rounds, and it's going to see at least 300 more through it before I get too busy. During this time I've cleaned it once, after ~800 rounds and while there has been carbon in the chamber, it's been nothing like what's in my regular ar, a dpms oracle, which had seen about 600 rounds of ammunition before cleaning.
>>
>>31005012
You hit the nail on the head.
The M16/AR15 became public domain and free to manufacture in the late 80's.
Colt, Bushmaster, Armalite and DPMS were the only games in town before the ban.

The AWB sunset in 2004 and the 2007-2012 rolling scares raised demand of the black rifle.

Early on in the scare supply was low and there was greater demand for raw forgings and small parts so US manufacturers even went out of country to import cheaper and more numerous ar15 forgings and parts from places like Taiwan even.

Cheap parts availability caused every small/medium sized gun manufacturer that had the facilities to CNC raw AR-15 forgings and could outsource AR-15 parts to go into full on manufacture mode of ar15's and initial investment was much lower than other gun designs. Profit margins were very high for the platform because of this.
>>
don't get a piston AR if you don't want to spend decent money on it. The cheap ones are worse than DI IMO because of metallurgy issues with the actual pistons. My Adams Arms broke a piston after roughly 3k rounds. Not saying they are all shit, just expect to pay snowflake prices for a snowflake rifle.
>>
>>31005243
What's considered a cheap piston AR? Would the Ruger SR556 be considered a cheap one?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.