[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dragnov SVD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (362KB, 640x417px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
362KB, 640x417px
I've been looking into getting an M14/M14 for some time, however recently I've started doing some research on comparable weapons to weigh my options. The Dragnov SVD fills a similar role and is common on battlefields around the world, however I've noticed that they are very rare among gun owners in the US. I'm curious as to why this is, expecially since AKs and SKSs are so common. Any thoughts on this? Also, how does it stack up against the M14?
>>
what kind of hand placement is that
>>
There was one shipment into the US before some import ban. They sell for 20k+. You can get a tigr or a Chinese for around 4k, if you can find one.
>>
>>31000403
The "come at me, bro" stance.
>>
>>31000392
wouldnt a VEPR be a good comparison?
>https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/russian-vepr-7-62x54r-23-detail.html?Itemid=0
>>
>>31000446
It fills the same role as the SVD, however it operates on the Kalashnikov system rather than the Dragnov. It's a designated marksman AK variant, while the SVD is completely different design.
>>
>>31000544
The vepr is definitely not a designated marksman ak, its just a civilian ak variant built on a rpk receiver. Please stop posting because you clearly don't know what you're saying.
>>
>>31000618
>>31000618
Your right, it's not used in the designated marksman role in any militaries currently so I should not have used that term.

However, the link provided compares it to the Dragnov (a true designated marksman rifle) and lists several features commonly found in designated marksman rifles. It's an AK variant with a focus on accuracy and increased range. Considering many DMRs (though not the SVD) are developed by modifying standard infantry rifles for enhanced accuracy and increased range, I don't think I was that far off.
>>
>>31000392
SVD compared to M14 is just not very good.

- Fuckhueg, long as shit, even with folding skeleton stock it feels like you're shouldering a shovel
- Has trouble feeding from magazines that have more than 10 rounds due to the round used
- Scope mount is proprietary, I believe it's not even standard dovetail/AKN type
- MOA 3 at best, doesn't outperform a high quality AK with optic or any other DMR.

It would be alright if it costed low as shit, but 20k+ for it is just too much.
>>
>>31000403
That's the kind of hand placement used by someone that knows their weapon, their position, and intends to hit what they're aiming at.
>>
>>31000913
>"uncomfortable", even though that varies by person and you've never held one
>PSO-1 scope that fits on SVD and AK but somehow both rails are different
>trouble feeding from literally just longer magazines
>rifle is confirmed ~1MOA by people who have actually used the rifle
>>
>>31000618
actually the VEPR would be a great "DMR" although if you are going to be a bitch for "muh accuracy" then stop looking at the M14---it's accuracy was basically a national embarrassment. (before you get butthurt look into how much money the army threw at it to get it to the meager level it is today)

The VEPR, M14, and SVD are all more accurate than you, and more accurate than you need for a practical "DMR"

Don't sweat it so much, and pal, stop being a know it all.

If you want a slav gun, VEPR is best bet.
>>
>>31000618
>>31000980

i mean god damn the tabuk is "militarily recognized" as a "sniper rifle". just because someone said something was a certain thing doesn't mean it was true.
>>
>>31000953
For your information, PSO-1 scope isn't just one universal item, but rather numerous versions due to the fact that it's range-finding reticle needs to fit the weapon's caliber. ie PSO-1 7.62x54R is not effective on 7.62x39 or 5.45x39. 9x39 also has it's own version of PSO-1.

I believe that SVD's Night vision devices do not fit other soviet rifles, thus I assume that there are differences in mounts.

As for longer magazine, if it was that simple, quadstack mags and ammo drums would've been adopted ages ago. 7.62x54R performs fine out of belt, but stacked in magazine over 10 rounds there might be feeding issues. Because of that, 20rnd mag is a rarity.
>>
>>31001020
>>31000913
What is the cause of these feeding issues? Considering a 10 round magazine was standard issue this would be a major flaw. Did the Russian military ever address the problem and attempt to fix it?
>>
File: VS-121.png (251KB, 956x256px) Image search: [Google]
VS-121.png
251KB, 956x256px
>>31001113
>>31001020
I believe the issue was due to 7.62x54R being what it is, an old rimmed cartridge.

Can't say that the issue was addressed, since besides the feeding issues, 20rnd mag just got in the way of using rifle while prone (after all, it was marksman rifle compared to M14's service/battle rifle role). Later on, SVU-A/S could've made use of extended 20rnd magazines due to presence of automatic fire, but even then majority if not all SVUs were issued with 10 rounder. Even now, VS-121 (Hey guys, let's make bullpup SVD! - > Hey guys, let's not cut the barrel down when we make our SVUs!) still uses 10 rnd magazines.

SVD-K maybe has the capability to reliably utilize higher capacity magazines due to being rechambered into 9.3 Brenneke off-shoot, but there's not much need for the role it was created for.
>>
>>31000403
the stand in breadlines all day stance
>>
>>31001020
If the same rail as the Tigr, then the scope mounts are different from the AKs, AK clamps will fit on them, but shake loose after 2-3 shots.

There are universal mounts that fit both however, which is what my Kobra has.
>>
>>31001296
>>31000953

Since Tigr was based on SVD, I'd say it uses same mount.
>>
>>31001178
I suppose if they fixed the feed problems, the addition of a bipod could have helped with the issues when firing prone with a 20 round mag. Anything larger would probably do more harm than good due to the increased weight. Did soldiers ever report problems in combat for the 10 round mags being too small? If they thought it was enough, no reason to mess with it.
>>
>>31000913
>>31000953
Your both right. With standard ammo your looking at around 3 MOA but the Russian military issued special sniper-grade rounds which were capable of 1 MOA
>>
>>31001372
Doctrine demanded that SVD user seeks out officers, machine gunners and such to precisely attack them rather than lay down suppressive fire, so I guess magazine capacity is a non-issue when you have RPK, PKM and other AKs to compensate for your lack of fire volume. Since that part of doctrine didn't change and more weapons for this role were made, it worked OK.
>>
>>31001428
>Russian military issued special sniper-grade rounds which were capable of 1 MOA
#1 It's called match grade ammo not "sniper grade" ammo
#2 They don't mass produce it because that would be stupid. They would literally have to setup 2 production facilities and 2 procurement chains for the two types of ammo and the russian military sure as shit isn't going to do that when a only a fraction of a percent of their forces are even issued an SVD
#3 the match grade ammo was only used to rig their MOA tests. Using Match grade ammo in virtually any rifle will improve it's accuracy. This can not and should never be an indicator of it's average MOA.
>>
>>31000403
Sometimes known as the "artillery hold," this is much more common in air rifles than normal firearms. The fact the rifle can move freely after firing increases the firearms accuracy, as the harmonics of the weapon as a whole are not compromised by a tight grip. Look it until. It's actually quite useful if you can compensate for the recoil properly.
>>
>>31001743
So wrong, but so right.
>>
>>31001704
>using decent ammo is rigging an accuracy test
lolno
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.