[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the 1911 obsolete???

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 154
Thread images: 22

File: IMBEL M1911A1.jpg (170KB, 1620x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMBEL M1911A1.jpg
170KB, 1620x1080px
Who knew there was a “Safe Space” for Glock owners.

Love this article.

http://www.ammoland.com/2016/08/glock-vs-1911/#axzz4H3GkY8m5
>>
This is good material.
>>
>>30997885
>>30998041
>1 poster

Same fag
>>
>Glocknade owners confirmed for lazy shitbags who don't clean their guns and can't hit the broad side of a barn
Hit the gym and get a double stack 1911 and there's literally no point to a Glock.
>>
>>30999243
You literally just debunked your own argument. The Glock already is double-stack and people who haven't hit the gym can use it. It's accessible to everyone.
>>
>>30999812
>gun that panders to obese neckbeards
>gun made for the US military
gee i wonder which is better, based on what you said
>>
>>30997885
>full size 7 rounds single action semi-auto
why not buy revolver instead?
>>
File: image.jpg (51KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51KB, 625x626px
>>30999243
>>31000829
>>
Anything meant for combat that has a 7 round capacity is obsolete bar none.
>>
>as long as dumping a mag into a target at 10 feet is seen as more desirable than hitting the X ring at 10 meters.

Fucking 110%, extra credit, grade A, can't be beat bantz.

I'm surprised he didn't have a montage of chubby dudes shooting at man sized targets a few arms lengths away then bragging about how they did it in less than 2 seconds.
>>
>>31001862
>implying the glock can't punch out a x-ring at 10 meters
Shit shooters detected. If you put in the work a typical 9mm Glock is capable of 3" groups at 25 yards. If you are willing to go with a fitted barrel, handload, and do some trigger work 2" is not unheard of.

Also literally who is Don Mcdougall? Statements like
>Most of the Glock Clones have tighter tolerances; they shoot flatter and tighter groups. They’re also just not a popular. They require a bit more care (cleaning) than the original. See the pattern yet?
just prove he knows nothing. Thinking the 8" groups at 25 yards M&P or the croatshit XD are more accurate or somehow flatter shooting is a sign that he hasn't bothered to do any real work with a plastic pistol.

Also holy shit why do people still think bullseye style shooting is somehow inherently superior to fast shooting up close? Shoot at the pace dictated by target difficulty, not at the pace dictated by your ego or fuddy "we wuz accurate and shiet" nostalgia.
>>
Single action trigger > DAO/Striker nuff said.
>>
>>30999243
The first and only time I ever shot a double stack 1911 was terrifying.
It was a para ordnance pistol, don't know if it was before they were sucked into freedumb guns or whatever they're called.
Anyway, I pulled the trigger and it magdummped the whole fucking mag and I almost took my fucking head off, never again.
I'll stick to muh 9mm and cz75.
>>
File: Snapchat-198073711935606528.jpg (837KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-198073711935606528.jpg
837KB, 1440x2560px
>>31001923
>Implying Glock owners can be capable of shooting groups
Well, anybody can shoot groups actually, but it's a sure deal that no Glock fags can shoot less than 3 foot groups at 6 feet
>>
File: 1371944345736.gif (2MB, 240x103px) Image search: [Google]
1371944345736.gif
2MB, 240x103px
.45 ACP is not obsolete

.45 strong
>>
>>30997885
>people in the comments claiming that .45 will knock people over
>>
File: Adamantium_Coated_Projectile.gif (668KB, 236x158px) Image search: [Google]
Adamantium_Coated_Projectile.gif
668KB, 236x158px
>>31001949
if it can destroy tanks why would it knock people over
>>
>>31001949
If you beat them over the head with the pistol then yes.
>>
>>31001966
It was the fucking plane that did
>>
>>31001949
it will knock people over because the targets will laugh at the shooter using .45 over 9mm
>>
>>31001984
How dare you bad mouth best handgun ever made and it's cartridge? It was co-invented Steven Cult and Jebediah Marurice Browner so it has to be best.
>>
>>31001764
wow do you throw your gun down and give up when you only have seven rounds left?
>>
>>31001966
>>31001984

Thats the joke.

that being said, i find it annoying when people overemphasize one attribute.

fundamentally we are talking m1911 vs any modern decent polymer pistol. M&P, XD, Glawk brand Glock, they tend to be pretty similar.

That said, lets compare.

first, single action triggers are great. Everyone can admit this, glock triggers arent bad but we all know glock triggers arent the best ever.

In terms of magazine capacity, theres a clear winner here. Plenty of Glock models to choose from with a wide variety of magazine sizes and barrel lengths, but within reason your typical Glock will carry more rounds, which is good. They also make Glawk .45 problem solvers if you are THAT set on it.

aftermarket seems pretty even. The 1911 has been around for about a century. The Glock has international customers by the millions.

in terms of Carry, a thin 1911 may be more comfy than a doublestack. But by making a 1911 double stack, you just removed that advantage by making it fatter and heavier. Also, the hammer is one more thing to get caught on, especially if the hammer is back and ready to shoot.

Honestly in terms of accuracy, i question the importance of an inch or two at 30 yards. You're typical person wont have to shoot someone so precisely with a pistol that far away. If you are in the service, you should be using your rifle anyway. I think bringing up new triggers is a bit dishonest; we are comparing guns AS-IS. This isnt "cherry-picked m1911 with an extra benjamin or two in features i installed" versus "stock Glock", nor is it "super glock" versus "RIA stock". It should be "stock glock" vs "stock double-stack m1911".

Overall, doublestack closes the gap, but it still remains in Glocks favor. Anyone using a 7-round full-size pistol is deliberately harming their combat effectiveness as a sacrifice to the Fudd gods.
>>
File: handgats.jpg (936KB, 1428x1219px) Image search: [Google]
handgats.jpg
936KB, 1428x1219px
I actually want a 1911, but way too much backlog of guns I need to get before it.
If only I had more money.
>>
>>31002121
>wanting a 1911
>not based hi power
>>
>be at range
>be practicing drawing from conceal at different distances <25m, different angles and multiple targets
>fat 60 year old dude shooting 1911 from a bench at 100m waddles to yell at me and get the ro
>the ro tells him it's allowed and if he doesn't like it go find another private range
>before he leaves he goes "if you bought a foghty fy you wouldn't have to practice shootin the target mo than once heh heh heh
>>
now I want a 1911 to accompany my Glock

they'd have that kind of snarky love hate, peanut butter and jelly friendship toward each other
>>
>>31002111
What about traditional barrel rifle vs polygonal?
I heard glocks have problems with solid lead rounds.

I was thinking of getting a glock or a 1911, single stack looks like a better grip for me. Manual safety, thumb safety both kind of have an appeal since none of my other weapons have it would make me a little more comfortable having some safeties to engage on one weapon and the grip safety seems a lot more practical than a second trigger safety.

I really don't see a downside to having seven rounds because it's a lot better than none, I really doubt anyone that would want a fight is going to think
>lol only seven rounds loaded
>>
10mm > .45 ACP
>>
File: noice.jpg (24KB, 233x256px) Image search: [Google]
noice.jpg
24KB, 233x256px
>>31002121
>own CZ 75
>picking up Colt AR pretty soon from FFL
>next up on list is Mossberg 500 / 590 or 88
>hopefully will have enough saved up before November to buy a Gov't 70 / 1991 / O1911ANVIII
>>
>tfw I own both
>>
>>31002320
should i get glock 20 or ria 10mm 1911?
>>
>>31002417
Glock 40
>>
>>31002431
I fucking hate glocks why cant cz make a 10mm
>>
>>31002278
>problems with solid lead rounds
unless we are talking about some post-SHTF scenario how is this even going to effect you
>seven rounds better than none
this>>31001758?
>>
>>31002488
>implying I don't have a revolver
I honestly trust my full lead semi wad cutters a lot more than an FMJ round with a nose cone design. I'm sure hollowpoints work but its a special snowflake round with one specific purpose
>>
File: man of culture.jpg (88KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
man of culture.jpg
88KB, 1024x576px
>9mm vs .45
How to spot someone who knows literally nothing about calibers.

>>31002320
This man has the right idea.

>>31002445
If you got the cash, you could always go to a gunsmith and have them make it a 10mm.
>>
>>30997885
>wow
Several scrolls of pure memes
>>
>>31002669
I will never understand why people would use pure lead in >current year
>>
>>31002049

did the reasoning for this just completely fly over your head? I feel like it did
>>
>>31002851
Well depends what your using it for but for close range it has its uses
>>
>>31002885
You might feel a way and all but I'm a hell of a lot more lethal with seven rounds of whatever as I am with 17, that some dumb shit wanting to push their luck with that doesnt seem to understand I could of turned things lethal without bullets.
>>
>>31003366
I know this is just some edgy b8 but...
>I'm a hell of a lot more lethal with seven rounds of whatever as I am with 17
Does your shooting suddenly go to shit when someone hands you a double stack?
>>
>>31003422
sometimes my shooting is fucking terrible with a 10 and 20 round magazine, shoot as much as I can even if it's just trying to pull down a grouping.
it's just the whole round count debate is all about I have more rounds than you in my weapon. How many rounds do I have on my person? If it's equal to the other person the last thing they should worry about is me running out of bullets and being less of a problem at a distance.
>>
File: PolygonalStandardRifling.jpg (8KB, 324x209px) Image search: [Google]
PolygonalStandardRifling.jpg
8KB, 324x209px
>>31002278
>I heard glocks have problems with solid lead rounds.
Allow me to educate you, anon. Here's some history:

>Lead rounds are dirtier, softer, foul more in the barrel
>Glock's semi-polygonal barrels aren't chrome-lined
>This means lead fouling + no-chrome lining = pitting, rust
>Glock got tired of people shooting lead and not cleaning their barrels
>Amend manual to say, "Don't shoot lead bullets"
>Myth begins that Glock don't work with lead bullets
>No one can explain what doesn't work exactly

Feel free to stop reading, this is just explanations on the barrel.

Polygonal barrels are great, they allow for greater longevity, accuracy and velocity, but they can't be chrome-lined: at best it would result in a barrel that's more costly to produce with no benefits. The trade off is you need to clean them if you shoot lead or corrosive ammo through them before any problems set in.
>>
So yesterday I purchased a gun for the first time. My dad gave me a CalTec .32 when I moved out of the house, but this was my first purchase.

I went down to a pawnshop a few blocks from my house and picked up a Rock Island Armory 1911, new still in box. I got the gun and 100 rounds for $600 flat.
I've wanted a 1911 for years now. They're one of the prettiest looking gun, in my opinion, and I just hate how boxy and blocky Glocks are.
This is mainly going to be a fun gun for me. I don't have a CC (yet, just moved to Seattle a year ago and haven't gotten around to it) and my job has a rule that anyone who brings a weapon will be terminated, so I'm not even going to carry it most days.
The man behind the counter warned me that I'm going to have to put a few hundred rounds through her before she'll start playing nice, but I was wondering what else I might expect from her. Also, I promised my best friend and his wife I'd teach them how to shoot one of these days. Should I get her broken in before I try to use her for teaching?
>>
>>31002320
what if I like both
>>
How are the norinco 1911's recently? I'm seeing a lot of people saying that they were great years ago, but I don't know if anything has changed these days.
>>
File: 20160816_095130.jpg (4MB, 2322x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160816_095130.jpg
4MB, 2322x2322px
>>31002417
RIA 10mm.

Nothing against glack, but I love my 1911
>>
>>31003911
>Should I get her broken in before I try to use her for teaching?
Probably.

Drilling how to clear the weapon in case of a malfunction is fucking important, but requires familiarity with weapons safety and the weapon you're handling. If it's their first time shooting it's just an easy way to ruin a range trip and make things unsafe.

That said, long as you strip the RIA down and grease it properly, you should be fine. I'd recommend a small bottle of Froglube - it's expensive as hell, but it beats the shit out of all the other lubricants in a few tests and one bottle will last you forever. Smells good too.
>>
>>31003911
Careful with JHP in the RIA. Ive had a few FF with winchester stuff
>>
>>31001941
might as well just go 10mm.

I winter CC my vanilla as fuck full size 10mm 1911 and sig p938 otherwise.
>>
>>31004012
I don't plan on shooting hollow points at a range, that's just a waste of money. FMJ is probably all I'm going to have for her.
>>31003998
Should I give her a good cleaning before taking her out? I wasn't sure I needed to, like I said she's still brand new and never fired.
>>
>>31004057
If shes brand new, then yes, absolutely clean her.

Would you eat produce you havent washed yourself?
>>
>>31004049
I'm planning on getting a 10mm Glock actually
>>
>>31004074
>Would you eat produce you havent washed yourself?
Um... yes? Should I not be doing that?
And I'm going to have to give her manual a good long read, it's been years since I was shown how to clear a pistol. Now I miss my grandpa.
>>
>>31004057
if your RIA comes packaged like this one
>>31003992
then yes, full strip that thing and soak it in HOT water/dish soap til that shit is gone. immediately fan dry and re-lubricate

unless youre totally inept mechanically and dont think you can rebuild the mechanism, but at least get that crap out of the barrel, slide, mainspring housing, and hammer spring housing. the part's you'll never need to disassemble again are the ones that will probably get gunked up with the factory lube left on them

never trust that the factory has properly lubed the weapon, or that the oil it comes coated in is good for the gun if kept on it
>>
>>31003521
I heard lead turns it into a glocknade
>>
File: 10496683_1.jpg (93KB, 1500x954px) Image search: [Google]
10496683_1.jpg
93KB, 1500x954px
It was obsolete before it was even made.
>>
>>31004057
Addendum to what >>31004117
said,

Be careful with the water. Worst feeling on earth is having your first gun get rust in somewhere you didn't initially know existed.

Acetone will work as a de-greaser, wet a napkin and go to town, let it evaporate, then give it a wipe down with new lube.
>>
>>31004076
if you like the lack of safety features go for it, i'm looking at getting a glock 20 or 29 myself soon.

1911 is my ideal manual of arms and only SA/DA 1911 would be better to me. fewer safety features for EDC is unacceptable to me.
>>
>>31004140
>>31004117
Thank you for the warning. I drive by a Cabela's to get to work every day. They were recommended to me if I wanted to get a good but inexpensive cleaning kit. Any recommendations in that regard?
>>
>>31004117
>>31004140
yeah, if youre not 100% stripping this thing to the last spring and screw and relubricating dont do this. lots of tiny parts to lose that will brick your gun.

rust isnt really an issue unless, again, you fucked up and left a spring housing assembled when you dunked it in water, then left it unlubricated and undried after. hot metal air dries fast.
>>
>>31004117
>if your RIA comes packaged like this one
Does RIA even come new in box with lube on it?
I tried looking up some of my handguns online, one was dripping with lube couldn't find out what kind easily I'd have to shoot off a message to the manufacturer but at least I'd know it'd work.
Other one new out of box could function without a lubrication agent and it for a while like any other weapon it could function, and didn't have a manual I can find. I've only heard about one really expert person talking about the kind of malfunctions happening with that sort of handgun and they mentioned nothing about maintenance.
>>
>>31004124
>I heard lead turns it into a glocknade
If you never clean the barrel, yes, it would.

Lead leaves a lot of deposits, so if you sat there and shot lead all day and never scrubbed out your barrel then you'd eventually squib you gun. Barrels get horrendously dirty from lead fouling very quickly, so if you plan on shooting more than 200 rounds you should probably bring a bore brush and some CLP for the range.

Let's not forget most lead ammo is hand-loads, so the Glocknade could be a combination of back pressure and hot loads, hot loads themselves being the majority of the causes when it comes to polymer guns exploding in the first place.

As an aside I tried casting lead bullets for a bit. It's... a process. You can save a good chunk of change when you get into it, but personally I didn't think it was worth the effort (so now I still have over 150lbs of wheel weights sitting in my garage).
>>
>>31005101
Glock can go fuck themsevles if they think I'd put down half a grand on a barrel that can't lay down lead, it's in most HP and FMJ's. Sounds like they're a real fuck to deal with. I wouldn't even buy one of those things second hand now.
>>
>>31002248
Firearm blog actually has a series of comics literally about a glock and 1911 solving crime together called "Glocky and McColt"

I kinda wish I were going.
>>
>>31005198
For clarification they mean you can't do straight lead bullets, as in something with no jacket.

Most JHPs have a brass jacket on them. The issue is with the side or base of the bullet being lead so that the rifling and the gas respectively do not cause the lead to come off the bullet and foul up the barrel.

JHP bullets tend to have open noses though, with exposed lead, but these do not contact the barrel walls or the propelling gasses, so it's a non-issue.

And FMJ is literally a "Full Metal Jacket". A lead core doesn't matter since it's jacketed with brass. For that matter, a decent bullet caster, or any manufactured lead bullet is also generally lubed to minimize the lead coming off as well, but it doesn't completely remove the issue either, and you would still do well to brush out your barrel after shooting or if you plan to do more than 200 rounds in a go.

If it's truly an issue to you though you should also nix H&K, Khar, IWI, Noveske, and Rainier just to name a few other polygonal barrels.
>>
>>31005281
>nix
I'm a colt fanboy desu so that's pretty easy, none of those were on my to buy list but I'll remember most of those.
>>
>>30997885
>and precision shooting is no longer a valued skill.

And into the trash that article goes
>>
>>31005281
>IWI
I would make exceptions for that one depending if it was a magnum research or not
>>
>>31005301
>I would make exceptions for that one depending if it was a magnum research or not
Not sure, I may have mixed up IWI and Magnum Research TBQHWY

Magnum Research is owned by Khar after all.
>>
>>31002851
That mushroom.
>>
>>30997885

the only obsolete thing about 1911s is the magazine capacity. and its hammer fired.
>>
>>30997885
The cartridge is definitely obsolete.

What advantage does .45 ACP offer over 9mm or 10mm?
>>
>>31005604
A larger diameter hole, but in pistol calibers it doesn't matter much.
>>
>>31005604

>.45 Annihilating Colored People
>>
>>31005573
I keep seeing people complain about this, and only 7 shots, but the one I just bought has 8+1 round capacity.
>>
File: glock 80 problem creator.jpg (3MB, 2859x2263px) Image search: [Google]
glock 80 problem creator.jpg
3MB, 2859x2263px
>>31005991

a glock 21 can hold like 12+1. thats 44% more stoppan powa
>>
>>31006121
I don't... I don't need that many bullets.
>>
>>31005991
>7 shots
That's the 1911 hater for you.

All modern Gov't or Commander 1911 magazines are 8rds, CMC makes solid 10rd mags but obviously they stick out-- inconvenient for carry, but as backup mags they're fine.

Still, it's a hard thing to argue. Most people against the 1911 aren't .45 fans anyway, and when that becomes the case then there's no reason to continue even debating the platform because then you have to win a caliber argument, and that's not going to happen. Secondly, even if they like .45 ACP they will just as soon tell you a Glock 21 is an easy 13 rounder, even the Glock 30 is a 10 rounder as a sub compact.

That's the only real valid argument against any 1911-- capacity.

Everything else is really subjective-- hammer fired, external safety, old design, barrel link, steel frame, etc. All of those have their strengths and weaknesses.

Personally though I don't think anything beats having a gun you have utter confidence in. It's comfortable, it's reliable, even a bad 1911 has a better trigger than most semi-autos.

Here, have a seven shot 1911.
>>
>>30999243
I've never seen a double stack 1911 at the gun stores I've been to, and I really want to hold one before I buy it. Where would I find one?
>>
>>31006183

id rather shoot the colored guy in my house 13 times than 8
>>
>>31005573
>Hammer fired obsolete

Holy kek.
>>
>>31002278
Tbh i truly like thumb safeties despite my defense of poly pistols. I bought one with a thumb safety, and think they should be on most guns. I think if you are doing passive safeties it should be like the Springfield XD and have trigger + grip, but thats me.

7 rounds is way better than none. Carry a 1911 if thats what you have. But the concern comes from "what if i run out of ammo". Granted, the typical person wont have to dump the whole mag before bad guy is dead or runs off, but... you never know? No one has ever complained of having TOO much firepower and ammo. The reverse however...

Dont get me wrong, the 1911 isnt a bad gun. Its a nice design, great for its time, and well made ones with all the fixin's easily keep up. But a king only sits on his throne for so long...
>>
>>31006235
I wouldn't even shoot someone 8 times.
When my grandpa, dad, and uncle were teaching me how to shoot they taught me to fire twice in the center of mass, then check your target. If it's still moving, fire twice more. Keep doing this until either you run dry or the target gets to you.
And if anything can keep moving after that, it doesn't fucking matter what you're going to do, bend over because you're fucked.
>>
File: 1451162309852.jpg (145KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1451162309852.jpg
145KB, 640x480px
Why not both?
>>
>>31006256
I like what... deltonics? Deutonics? Did with their 1911. THAT is how you modernize it.
>>
>>31005198
Pretty sure he's talking about unjacketed lead bullets
>>
>>31005298
Yeah like the guy has never seen hickok ring the far gong with his... And doesn't realize glocks come in .45.
>>
>>31004202
RIAs come in a taped up plastic bag literally filled with oil, the gun is completely drenched in storage oil and should be 100% strip cleaned.

they ship from the phillipines by sea
>>
>>31006273
You never know how shit can go down

>www.policeone.com/police-heroes/articles/6199620-Why-one-cop-carries-145-rounds-of-ammo-on-the-job/
>Officer shoots bix nood 14 times with a 45 ACP Glock 21, six fatal shots before shooting perp in head three times
>Perp was still alive for a bit after that
>No drugs or alcohol in perp's system

Obviously a super rare case, but still, we carry because of the rare case that we need to pull a gun. Despite this story I still prefer having a 45 1911 over a 9mm Glock 19 (that I do carry from time to time).

I may nix the 19 though (I have an opportunity in the future possibly) and get a 30 if nothing else. I would rather carry 45 when it really comes down to it.
>>
>>31004143
So you'd rather have a cz?
>>
>>31005281
Im curious, why are the heavier and very hot loads, like buffalo bore 10mm, usually unjacketed?
>>
>>31006377
If i had the choice of a full steel 9mm i'd probably go for a CZ or m9 yes. but then again it's not a sexy 1911.
>>
>>30997885

The only thing pretty much I dont like about 1911s is that they're Single Stack no matter what kind of ammo they're running.

I saw a picture of a double stack 1911 once and it wasnt pretty, a rare version I guess.

But they should have at least 1.5 Stack and allow a 10 or 12 capacity like the Socom pistol.

The frame can be widened, the grip panels flatter so that it doesnt take up more space in the hand.
>>
>>31006395
buffalo bore 180gr JHPs (in my hand right now) are copper jacketed lead

they only have a 200gr FMJ and a 220gr unjacketed cast lead round that i know of

only non jacketed HPs i can think of are relatively light but very hot loaded solid copper HPs designed to splay out in a specific pattern
>>
>>31006405
M9s are aluminum framed and still heavy as fuck...
>>
>>31006496
Hmmm, i guess i was wrong. I seem to remember unjacketed bullets on the stuff that they recommend for bear defense.
>>
>>31006291
I looked at that picture for about 3 minutes trying to comprehend what it was.

After I figured it out... I like it
>>
>>31006191
you forgot about single action
only thing going for .45 ACP is that it is potent FOR A SUBSONIC ROUND
if you don't care about capacity might as well go with revolver, as some people pointed out
>>
>>31002445
cz 97 is .45

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CZ_97B
>>
File: Casull.png (755KB, 1920x1090px) Image search: [Google]
Casull.png
755KB, 1920x1090px
>>30997885
it aint gonna stop me from getting a custom made long slide 1911 in 454 casull hellsing style. (yes its possible)
>>
>>31006395
>Im curious, why are the heavier and very hot loads, like buffalo bore 10mm, usually unjacketed?
I can only speculate.

Looking at their site the pure lead 10mm rounds are the heaviest at 220gr, and they're also the cheapest.

The simple fact of the matter is that if you have a 200gr 10mm vs a 220gr 10mm with the same amount of powder then they should have the same velocity at the muzzle, but the 220gr being heavier will have higher energy transfer.

They had probably forgone jacketing the bullet to make it as heavy as possible since lead is a dense, cheap metal.

>>31006502
>M9s are aluminum framed and still heavy as fuck...
Heavy compared to what? Other full sized, metal framed semi-autos? I believe it's the lightest among those competitors IIRC.
>>
>>31006528
Same t b h. Don't think I'd buy one in .45ACP but the aesthetics are on point.
>>
>>31006518
their 220gr "bear defense round" is a solid lead flatpoint, i think i misread your question thinking you mean unjacketed hollow points. you can ofcourse drill a hole in it but that kinda defeats the purpose if it's not jacketed.

no jacket so they can fit that extra weight in there mainly, jackets arent a foil-thin layer.

basically an unjacketted 220gr slab of lead at 1300fps is going to spread out and fuck a bear up as much as a 180gr JHP, without losing as much penetration.

would probably be considered overpenetrating for self defense against people
>>
>>31006530
>you forgot about single action
I forgot grip safety too, there's a few more things I could probably think up but those were just examples of preference. I could drum up an argument for single action if you'd like me to.

>only thing going for .45 ACP is that it is potent FOR A SUBSONIC ROUND
Do we really wanna do a caliber war right now?

>if you don't care about capacity might as well go with revolver, as some people pointed out
But even a high capacity revolver like a S&W 327 (38spl) only just matches the 1911's 8 rounds, if we don't count the chamber. And that thing is bulky as a pig.

Plus revolvers, while they may have good triggers, are double action unless you take the time to cock the hammer for every shot. Very few semi-auto revolvers were ever made, and none of which are in production AFAIK. Even then a 6# DA pull can be reliably achieved, but it's not common and requires modification. The 1911 trigger is reknowned, and most are within 5# stock, give or take half a pound.

Not to mention if I want a 5" BBL'd revolver I am probably looking at something with at least 2" extra OAL.

Just because I would prefer an 8rd 1911 to an 18rd 92FS for instance doesn't necessarily mean I would want to switch to a revolver, there's several more factors to consider. It's like saying if you don't like your Mustang's gas mileage then why don't you buy a bicycle?
>>
>>31003521
>Polygonal barrels can't be chrome-lined
What is a CZ-82?
>>
>>31006718
>I could drum up an argument for single action if you'd like me to
go ahead then

>Do we really wanna do a caliber war right now?
gas .45 fag, caliber war now

>regarding capacity
standard revolver:6
1911:+2
how often 6 rounds wouldn't be enough, but at the same time those two bonus rounds would be?

>regarding trigger weights
are you going to competitive shoot attacker to death?

>regarding length
correct me if I'm wrong but average .357 shot out of 3" barrel would still have more energy than average .45 out of 5" barrel

> It's like saying if you don't like your Mustang's gas mileage then why don't you buy a bicycle?
More accurately would be:
If you don't like your Mustang's gas mileage then why don't you use something else to every day driving?
>>
>>31005335
Well now it is I forgot about that, I mean some of their older stuff if it were still in good shape.
>>
>>31006718
>Do we really wanna do a caliber war right now?
Don't bother, hollowpoints users are like the weaboo katana enthusiasts of the 9mm vs 45 bullet debate
>>
>>31002111
For fucks sake, you're a lame try hard piece of shit.
"Combat effectiveness"
What a meme.
>>
>>31006395
Because they're done by boutique shops and it's much easier to just cast hardened lead than it is to bond copper onto a lead core in an pre-expanded form then fold the bullet closed like the makers of modern JHPs do.
>>
>>31006943
>how often 6 rounds wouldn't be enough, but at the same time those two bonus rounds would be?

About as often as those 15-17 rounds would be.
>>
File: 1470969415056.jpg (4MB, 4711x3144px) Image search: [Google]
1470969415056.jpg
4MB, 4711x3144px
>>31001764

What about this?
>>
File: IMAG0139.jpg (2MB, 3024x5376px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0139.jpg
2MB, 3024x5376px
>>31001758
>>31001764
>>31002111

>7 round capacity
>>
>Is the ______ obsolete???
Dumb question. dumb thread. A 1911 is a perfectly viable bullet launcher for defensive use, ditto a revolver. Is anyone else tired of fucking everything being compared Glock constantly? Many of us simply do not like the design at all and never will, so it's not "the" standard against which all else should be compared. Also, constantly hearing about how you NEED to spend at least $1,500 on a 1911 and become a master gunsmith if you're going to use one for carry or home defense gets real fucking old.
>>
>>31011937
>now that I have 8 round, I will be unstoppable
>>
>>31012101
>8 rounds > 7 rounds
>this triggers the faggot
>>
>>31006943
>Single action
The 1911 trigger owes a lot to it being a straight pull trigger like it is, you can't make something like that as a double action, it would have to have a higher bore axis, additional parts and be a hinged type trigger.

>Caliber wars
Still don't feel like getting into this one. Your puny little socialist round has nothing on the stronk American round that only true patriots carry.

>Capacity
Eight is greater than six, does this really need explaining? Plus part of the allure of the 1911 is it's ergos, part of that is it's width, only a 5-shot revolver comes close to the 1911 width, and those are still fatter.

>Trigger weight
A 6lb DA trigger is still long, and unless tuned, most DA revolver pulls aren't great, OK at best. 6lbs itself already requires you to change the revolver, and it's not improving the feel only the weight. Maybe I will shoot a competitive attacker to death.

>357 v 45
Have you shot 357? Yes, it has more energy (approx 200ft-lbs on average), and more velocity. I'd rather shoot 45 all day than 357 for an hour.

>If you don't like your Mustang's gas mileage then why don't you use something else to every day driving?
Because I like driving my Mustang, I'll fully recognize that the gas mileage sucks, I won't argue the fact that there's higher MPG cars out there. But if I want the most MPG I can get a Prius with a vegan boyfriend to ride shotgun with me. But maybe MPG isn't the most important factor to me, not when my Mustang can go faster, has better handling, more options, more history, more comfort, and I can belong to an elite club of people that meet up so we can all jerk off on our Mustangs. Then MPG is just a give and take at that point: I'll give up MPG so that everything else is better.
>>
>>30997885

This the fuddiest shit I've read in ages
>>
>>31001932
>(((para ordnance)))
>>
File: 20151011_140210.jpg (735KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20151011_140210.jpg
735KB, 2048x1152px
>>31001936
Fight me irl

>1st month shooting a handgun
>only range distance is 25 yards
>>
>>31012258
>17 round > 8 rounds
> this triggers 1911fag
>>
>not 17 round magazines
what
>>
>>31014030
>simply point out that there are 1911s with 8rd cap
>"8 rounds so now I'm unstoppable!!!!@!"
>kek at the autistic commentary
>"muh 17rd capacity! 1911s are gay!"

This is why nobody likes glock owners.
>>
File: 5373943799_0309a98f75_z.jpg (64KB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
5373943799_0309a98f75_z.jpg
64KB, 640x512px
>>31005991
>image saved from the depths of time
>>
>>31014380
> implying people with glocks don't own 1911s or revolvers.

Fudd .45 buddy the other day, "why would you buy a glawk?"

me, "same reason I drive a Silverado and not a Range Rover. Muhfugger is reliable and cheap- what's not to like?"
>>
File: IMAG0096.jpg (1002KB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0096.jpg
1002KB, 4096x2304px
>>31015390
>Muhfugger is reliable and cheap- what's not to like?
I can't even argue with that logic.

My original point was simply that there are 8rd cap 1911s. You're right tho, I should have said glock fanboys rather than throwing all of you under the bus.
>>
>>31014380
>simply point out that 1911s with 8rd cap is not an argument
>"look mom i can do primary school math"
>so can I
>implying that I own a glawck

Look dude, I like 1911,it is very fun to shoot, but as practical sidearm it was made obsolete in 1935 by Hi-Power.

If I ever were to carry, full size, single-stack, single action pistol would be last thing I would choose.
>>
>>31015585
You're a troll, right? All I did was point out to the posters saying "7rd cap" that there are 8rd cap 1911s. Why are you getting so butthurt over a simple observation?
>>
>>31015681
>troll
>butthurt
make up your mind friend

>All I did was point out
would you be more happy if I just responded with something like:
>ok, but that doesn't matter
>>
>>31005198
You don't actually know how guns work do you?
>>
>>31015786
OK not a troll just a scathing faggot. Gg.
>>
>>31015564
I know what you mean about the fanboys. Still love the plastic fantastic arms but my heart is with the all metal chunk of goodness. Current favorite is my Wiley Clapp SP101.
>>
>>31015833
That's harsh my friend. How could I know that you weren't some retard that thinks 1 bonus rd make 1911 somehow better?
>>
>>31015872
>1 bonus rd make 1911 somehow better

was never said or implied.

8 is not 7. A simple concept, although apparently tough for some to grasp.
>>
File: 1470198029041[1].jpg (40KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1470198029041[1].jpg
40KB, 657x527px
>The Glock was made to provide a handgun to an Austrian Army that is more of a show piece
kek. yes glock was designed for its cosmetics

>As a major caliber man stopper with accuracy, there is nothing better
>pistol
>manstopper
>there are people browsing /k/ right now who still think pistol cartridges have "stopping power" by virtue of their caliber
>>
>>31015987
>implying you won't fall the fuck over if you get hit with a .44 magnum or two
>>
>>31015971
We have settled our differenced, so no need to be salty about it.
>>
File: IMG_0657.jpg (2MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0657.jpg
2MB, 4000x3000px
Everyone should have both!!!
>>
>>31016056
This nigga gets it.
I've got the Springfield MilSpec too, good choice friendo
>>
>>31016000
must be true, hittin me with that triple aught buckshot trips
>>
>>31016000
you are right triple digit man, but it is psychological stopping power, not physical
>>
>>31015806
I'm not a gunsmith but yeah I understand how mechanical functions work. Glock pistols simply doesn't sound like the kind of thing I want or need.
>>
>>30997885
How many planes has a Glock taken down?
>>
>>31015585
this
>>
>>31016056
I'll be honest, I want a G20 mostly so I can turn it into a mechtech carbine with extendo mags and a red dot. In terms of pistols I prefer the 1911.
>>
>>31005198
>>31016318
>Glock can go fuck themsevles if they think I'd put down half a grand on a barrel that can't lay down lead, it's in most HP and FMJ's.
Yup. Sure you do.
>>
>>31015987
No, anon, he's saying that the Austrian Army is a show piece.

Which they are. They haven't been militarily relevant for over a century now.
>>
>>31016573
Yeah sure try dealing with customer service sometime. A barrel that can't handle a traditional substance like lead? Sure you can jacket it but doesn't sound like their really not going to stand behind their product if you put lead in it in anyway.
>>
>>31016546
That's a much better reason than muh cawadoody.
>>
>>31000829
trick question, the 1911 satisfies both of those criteria
>>
>>31019613
That's because obese neckbeards have better taste than the US military half the time. Just look at anime. The military has shit taste in anime.
Thread posts: 154
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.