[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Radios

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 8

File: Baofeng-UV-5RC-5.jpg (132KB, 520x520px) Image search: [Google]
Baofeng-UV-5RC-5.jpg
132KB, 520x520px
How ya doing /k/? I need a pair of radios that need to be durable, water resistant (at least), and have enough power to save my ass if I get hurt in the desert. The wife and I are going on a 3700 mile road trip and want radios to communicate as we'll be in different vehicles, and I could use them for riding around in the desert/general outdoor/hunting use.

I'll take this to /out/ if y'all want, but I've seen radio threads on here before, so radio thread.
>>
>>30997709
Price range? Desired Bands? APRS features? Wattage output? Handheld? Mobile/Base?
>>
Should I get a MBITR or Harris?
>>
File: rca001.jpg (82KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
rca001.jpg
82KB, 576x432px
>>30997753
looking for not spending much more than $200-$250 on the pair. Bands aren't terribly important. APRS would be nice but not really in the budget. Wattage would just be max for the money. Mobile heavily preferred.
>>
File: FT-2900R_thumb.jpg (88KB, 350x270px) Image search: [Google]
FT-2900R_thumb.jpg
88KB, 350x270px
>>30997807
Then you are looking at a Yaesu FT-2900. Mobile mounted 2 meter monoband radio with an output of ~75 watts. Rugged as a radio can be as it doesn't even have a fan, just an aluminum heatsink. Have one in my truck, and has served me well for about a year. Comparable radios include Kenwood's TM-281A, Icom IC-2300H, and Alinco DR-B185HT.
>>
File: hankypanky.jpg (155KB, 780x840px) Image search: [Google]
hankypanky.jpg
155KB, 780x840px
>>30997892
I'll check it out anon. I appreciate it. Have an image!
>>
File: hogs_vs_tannerite.webm (246KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hogs_vs_tannerite.webm
246KB, 480x360px
>>30997945
No problem! And consider getting a license too if you don't have one. The amateur radio hobby is definitely a lot of fun. Especially the HF and digital modes.
>>
>>30997892
If aprs were a requirement, what would be your most inexpensive recommendation?
>>
>>30998081
http://www.wcares.org/special-interests-3/aprs/aprs-what-are-my-options/

APRS has been an emerging function on the consumer market for a few years now. More manufacturers are offering built-in APRS function, but you will have to pay for it. Outside your budget you mentioned. BUT there are other non-factory APRS systems out there. I would recommend the Mobilelinkd, as it seems to work for people. You can also venture down into more experimental territory with just a Raspberry Pi. Check the link out for a list of APRS devices.
>>
File: 1470516353965.jpg (262KB, 642x610px) Image search: [Google]
1470516353965.jpg
262KB, 642x610px
>>30997709
Got to be that fag, but FUCKING GET A LICENCE. You can do more than just listen if you get a fucking license. You learn about the hobby and are a value to the community in the event of SHTF if you get a fucking license.

>ibn4 hurrdurr don't matter if there is no FCC
It still allows you to be a better member of the community if SHTF. You can contribute in a way that is beneficial rather than just talking without the etiquette that allows for smooth, functional professionalism.

And if you are licensed, what is your region code. I'm a 3, PA.
>>
>>30998257
Because screaming at people over the internet to get a license is going to make them get a license. You're a lid at best.
>>
File: 1413335935570.jpg (15KB, 211x211px) Image search: [Google]
1413335935570.jpg
15KB, 211x211px
>>30998257
dude calm down

>>30997892
good choice, this is a great rugged rig

>>30998081
The cheapest way by far would be to get a shitty android phone and have it run APRS droid. I bought a refurbished android trackfone for $10 on amazon and just put APRS droid on it. I'm going to install it in my car so that it just gets charged whenever the cars running, and it'll just remain on (with APRS off) otherwise. It's actually pretty neat what you can do. I have it so when the phone gets USB power, it starts up APRS droid, and when USB power is turned off, the phone shuts everything down and it can go a couple weeks on its internal battery.
>>
>>30997892
>That saxy orange LCD
Oughh my nipples are can only get so erect.
>>
Handheld midland CBS radios...some blister pack motoroola radios like mh230r...or wouxon kduv1d radios with the firmware expanded with frs/gmrs/murs freqs programmed
>>
CB
>>
File: HankKill.jpg (179KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
HankKill.jpg
179KB, 1920x1080px
>want a radio in case shtf
>know if I get one it'll sit around unused because any time I use it I'll just hear a bunch of old men talking to each other about random shit
>>
>>30999104
Buy a baofeng uv-5r?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.