[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me everything there is to know about the M113.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: US_M113_in_Samarra_Iraq.jpg (2MB, 2940x1915px) Image search: [Google]
US_M113_in_Samarra_Iraq.jpg
2MB, 2940x1915px
Tell me everything there is to know about the M113.
>>
Shit light aircraft armor crampt hot as a motherfucker dad served and fought Saddam's asshole troops said that vehicle is sorry excuse for a vehicle sometimes fumes would be in interior from the engine all of this info is second hand maybe there's a crewman on /k/ somewhere
>>
>>30996634

Its called the Gavin and its replacements have been stellar failures. Stryker and Bradley, i am looking at you.
>>
>>30996767
t. Sparky
>>
>>30996634

The M113 Gavin was the best light tank ever made.

Had we upgraded to M113A8 spec Gavins gliding into the mountains of Afghanistan and Pakistan would've found Osama Bin Laden instantly.
>>
>>30996634

Nightmare against IEDs and totally obsolete now.

The IDF hates them but has to use them because the Jew money that /pol/ goes on about doesn't actually exist to replace them all with Namers ASAP
>>
>>30996755
Does being a son of a grunt make you too stupid to understand the importance of punctuation marks?
>>
>>30996886
Perhaps?
>>
It has an M, two 1's and a 3 in its name.
>>
>>30996767
Civ here, I thought the Bradley was well received?
>>
>>30996909
It also looks like people can get inside it. Not too sure on that one though.
>>
>>30996801

Yeah i was just doing some baiting but on a more serious issue, what is the M113's real nickname? I mean, all the 'Murrican vehicles got a name but the M113 seems to be the only one without a proper name.
>>
>>30996928
I think that I saw a machine gun on one of them too
>>
>>30996926
Until the Gulf War it was repeatedly made out to be the BLUNDER OF THE CENTURY, the same way the F-35 is now. Even today you have morons who watched Pentagon Wars and maybe a few blacktail defense videos and took them at face value.
>>
>>30996926

In conventional warfare.

It was garbage in the insurgency.
>>
>>30996942
I don't think it ever got a real nickname in American service. Gavin memes aside I've only heard it referred to as 'APC' or just 'M113'.
>>
>>30996942
It doesn't have one. A lot of American vehicles don't have them, but you might have the impression they do because of how well known ones with names are.
>>
>>30996926
It is, don't listen to retards on 4chan
>>
>>30996974
It did fine in the Iraqi insurgency, it's "flaw" was how often it was used for situations it wasn't meant for because it was the only thing available with armor.
>>
>>30996634
It's being replaced with a turretless Bradley.
>>
>>30996955
I heard that some even have tracks.
>>
I see its armour being shit on a lot, I guess it wont hold up against HMG fire but how does it hold up against GPMG or intermediate cartridge rifle fire? I assume the later models have better armour?
>>
>>30997117
We got through the front with close range 7.62 from a G3 during my days in the army, but thats not exactly a realistic scenario. 12.7 rapes it though
>>
>>30996755
>namefag
>cant into punctuation
like clockwork, /k/
>>
>>30996634

It's a bitch to drive in Arma

BTR master race
>>
File: 1409016613924.gif (388KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
1409016613924.gif
388KB, 500x382px
>>30996965
>Gulf War

>repeatedly made out to be the BLUNDER OF THE CENTURY

>killed more Iraqi tanks than the Abrams

It may have had some crappy issues, but it was far from a blunder
>>
>>30996942
M113. that is its name. In the USAF the few peices of shit we have lingering around are called "Em One Thirteens" They are entirely toys of security forces, but even they hate them with a seething nuclear passion as motorpool wont touch them. So guess who fixes them?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/886_Expeditionary_Security_Forces_Squadron

The ones that actually deploy are better.

Aside from that Turkey or probably israel has some of the most evolved M113s on the world, which is sort of like saying you have the most kick ass big wheel in town.

M113 was a replacement for armored cars, back when wheel tech was weak. Its made to get troops from point A to B and withstand anti infantry fire. It still does that, but its too damn slow, and cant handle a modern threat environment like an MRAP or MATV.

Still better than a fucking Humvee if survival is your game. Seriously, I would rather be in a sand rail, or stripped down humvee than a regular unit in a convoy.
>>
>>30996634
We used them in an ambulance configuration. They were good for keeping up with tanks on rough terrain over wheeled vehicles. A3 steering and power were vastly better than the A2. Oh and moving the fuel tanks to the outside made more sense. Having the ambulance litter racks were convenient for sleeping.
>>
>>30996942
Everybody I knew who served in/around them called them tracks.
>>
M1068s are comfy little commo truck/shelters.

air conditioning, lots of vertical space for your radios and other gear. plus it allows taller soldiers to sit upright while working inside one.

they won't get stopped by anything off road. unless it is that one time you throw a track in a foot of Louisiana mud at JRTC, right before a tropical storm hits. So you end up camping the night inside it, during the storm. though it was dry and cool inside. Plus there was a laptop to watch movies and pog bait in the cooler. in the morning the hercules finally shows and drags you to solid ground.
>>
>>31000546
>they won't get stopped by anything off road. unless it is that one time you throw a track in a foot of Louisiana mud at JRTC, right before a tropical storm hits. So you end up camping the night inside it, during the storm. though it was dry and cool inside. Plus there was a laptop to watch movies and pog bait in the cooler. in the morning the hercules finally shows and drags you to solid ground.

Was stationed at Polk and our ASV ran into mud so deep we, quite literally, bottomed out almost to the doors. We were stuck inside and i was in the basket. Had just enough signal to stream anime and we snacked on MRES until the next day when a HemmitHauler was able to hook us out.
>>
cant believe no one posted that Pentagon Wars clip yet.
>>
>>31000698
So i dont get it bradleys a good ifv?
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.