[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Katanas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 15

File: 9703db82c9cb64f7289452d34456ca0c.jpg (191KB, 736x1150px) Image search: [Google]
9703db82c9cb64f7289452d34456ca0c.jpg
191KB, 736x1150px
Honestly, I think the people who shit on Katanas are far more annoying that actual neck-bearded fedorites. I get it, there are some photos and videos of people who look way too dweebish with Katanas. But whatever, man.

Just saying you like like the sword, or god forbid you actually try practicing with it, you are instantly pelted with derision and called autistic. The number of autists that call someone with an interest autistic is ridiculous. Its like this...

Guy with Katana.
>"I like thing"

Online retards.
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

That applies to all sword owners, but Katanas in particular.

Whether or not the Katana is a good sword or not is a different debate. I think it fits the sidarm role it was intended for, its most comparable to the European messer than it is to the sabre, and that its not fair to compare to European swords of the same time frame because Europe was technologically ahead. But whatever.
>>
Realistically speaking, liking a katana is no different from liking swords from any other country that you have no ethnic background with. Like a person of Germanic heritage liking scimitars, or a Frenchman who likes claymores.
But as for why katanas, it's because liking swords is already considered a hobby for autistic nerds and if you like katanas then you're an autistic nerd who is also a weeaboo.
>>
File: katana - kataaaaaana.png (1MB, 1439x602px) Image search: [Google]
katana - kataaaaaana.png
1MB, 1439x602px
OP, you sound triggered as fuck. The doctor gave you those lithium pills for a reason.
>>
This tbqhwyf. People who think katanas are the greatest sword ever are clearly retarded, but people who sperg out at the mere mention of one are doubly retarded. Katanas are good for what they were intended for: cutting down unarmored peasants, seppuku, and use as a sidearm.
>>
>>30995818
Just like with furries, the plague is gone, but the echo of it's cure still remains. It wasn't a case of a few people looking like weebs, much like furries wasn't just a case of a few people who like to dress up as animals(hence the years of permaban), and the camgirls of /b/ wasn't just a few girls who liked to get on camera(thus the case of le epic me-me of tits or gtfo, again, lasted years longer than the actual camgirls).

You are however right that the online retards seem to mostly be petty manchildren who've been here for, at most, a year, and simply echo "board culture" to be cool.

Oh, and neither the sabre nor the messer ever got either religious or spiritual significance, It was more like the sword was for vikings.
>>
I would like to get an officer's kaigunto.
>>
>>30996026
>much like furries wasn't just a case of a few people who like to dress up as animals(hence the years of permaban)

What were they doing? Posting furry stuff everywhere? Or were people just hating on them because of all the fandom drama in the early half of the 2000s? Because the furries are still here, man. Like, everywhere.
>>
>>30996105
No, i am specifically referring to the drama of the early half of the 2000's, it lasted a damn long time, and while "posting furry stuff everywhere" is technically true, it also fails to convey just how annoying it was.
>>
>>30996026
>furries, the plague is gone

hahaha
try to look for catgirl or genderbender etc stuff on e-hentai and you will see how the furry plague is gone, it's full of their fresh and on-going comics
>>
>>30996157
yes, and 1: that's not 4chan, hence gone. 2: if you think that's the worst of the furries, oh you poor naive fool, how i envy you.
>>
File: 1450497199370.jpg (61KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1450497199370.jpg
61KB, 500x375px
>>30995818
someone is
T R I G G E R E D
>>
The katana was a good sword, but it's overrated in my opinion.
>>
Just came to say that my great great uncle fought in Okinawa.
He shot a Jap officer and stole his Katana, which is being passed down to me once my Grandmother passes.
Her condition isn't good /k/, I'm gonna have a WW2 Katana soon.
>>
My grandfather possessed two at the time of his death. He brought home more than that from Japan, but broke some splitting stovewood with them. So much for the legendary katana huh guys?
>>
>>30996157

If I only have to see it when I choose to, fine by me.

> Catgirls

Stop now, anon. Just like Fedoras -> Hawaiian shirts or NTR -> Gay, don't walk that narrow line unless you're okay with what happens when you inevitably fall.
>>
>>30996156
Funny thing about that is, after a while, it wasn't even actual furries riling people up. It was just run-of-the-mill shitposting that people freaked out about because they didn't like thing. If they had acted like adults and just ignored it, it never would have been an issue.
>>
It really is an ass pain for people who have a genuine interest in swords and shit.

No body really cares if you're talking about a specific sword (that isn't the Katana) since they just assume it's a hobby. But if you start talking about the Katana or just say swords in general, you get railed by people calling you an autistic fedora fag or you get railed by the autistic fedora fags.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (219KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
219KB, 1920x1080px
>>30995818
kukri
>>
File: Snapshot_20160414.jpg (52KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Snapshot_20160414.jpg
52KB, 640x480px
>>30997838
To what I know, WWII Katana's weren't very high quality to begin with, but I don't remember if I heard this right or even who from, so take it worth a grain of salt.
But cool, regardless. The one I got in a flea market was made by some guy out in Cali who specializes in these things for some reason, but he makes them up to spec for use in Kenjutsu and such.
>>
>>30997887
Well you don't use any sword for splitting wood. That is terrible for it. Especially for a delicate one like a katana.

They were made for slicing, and even with 3 different hardnesses of metal in the blade, it's long, thin form makes them especially fragile. desu your gramps was a fucking idiot using one like a hatchet.

Then again I guess WWII vets wouldnt know shit about swords
>>
Katanas are just heavy sabers with a hand and a half hilt.
>>
>>30995818
We've been saying that for-fucking-ever in your last paragraph.

you're just a triggered faggot who can't keep calm at all, you're no better than the guys you mentionned
>>
>>30995993
This tbqh
>>
File: 20160816_001438.jpg (955KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20160816_001438.jpg
955KB, 2560x1440px
>>30997838
They're neat to have for the story, but like another anon pointed out, they aren't terribly high quality katanas.
>>
>>30995818
It's just a reaction to people believing in it's myths and saying it's fact, like it was being used to cut through gun barrels or it could cleave two people in half etc. But the backlash has gotten ridiculous now and it's sounding more like insecure Eurofags having to shit on it in every way to feel better about themselves. It's like they don't even want to recognize it as any sort of decent sword.
>>
>>31000353
I've always heard/read that shin gunto were more status symbol rather than actual practical sword. Also serves as a replacement/surrogate if you weren't born into samurai family with a sword passed down generations or you didn't want to lose that sword passed down generations. I've seen one in a nearby antique shop, but I doubt it's real.
>>
File: Trump vs Huffington.jpg (27KB, 634x240px) Image search: [Google]
Trump vs Huffington.jpg
27KB, 634x240px
>>31000555
>>
>>31000364
If it breaks hitting wood, it'll break hitting bone as well.
>>
>>31001705
There's a difference between proper technique and using a specialized tool like a common ax. Besides bone is no where near as thick or hard as wood
>>
>>30995818
raipers are clearly superior comit seppuku now you cuck
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (49KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
49KB, 1280x720px
>>30995818
Is this you?
>>
>>31001787
Rapiers are pretty fucking based. This anon has a point.
>>
People who have real Katanas have >600$ ones
And they do not obsess over it

The thing is the majority of people who own Katanas have a 40$ Walmart one and act like it is like their anime.

Another reason people don't like Katanas is they have so many idiotic lies that people believe and are horribly overrated. You have little reach, barely any hand protection, and the style you use the Katana in is not useful unless the other person is fighting the same way.

The reason I don't like Katanas is because people think they can instantly cut someone in half
>>
95% of people who have katana are massive fucking dweeb. What you're espousing OP is the same as claiming that you read playboy for the articles.
>>
https://youtu.be/wAkCLpMtjlM

This is why people dislike Katanas, due to association with spergs.

> I found this by youtube searching Autist with a Katana.
>>
File: Dadao.jpg (115KB, 685x517px) Image search: [Google]
Dadao.jpg
115KB, 685x517px
>>30995818
>>30998899
Dadaos are better, easier to use, more reliable/versatile and easily forged from railroad steel.

They break knives/bayonets and bend Katanas like Candy. Not-to-mention, they are infamous in Urban combat.
>>
>>31001903
Might as well just get a halberd.
>>
File: Dadao2.jpg (35KB, 500x460px) Image search: [Google]
Dadao2.jpg
35KB, 500x460px
>>31001906
Halberds are too unwieldy and can get trapped in tight corridors, which can be lethal in Urban CQC.

In addition, the Dadao typically has a thicker blade, which you can use to cut wood/vegetation or slice off heads.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 4595x2155px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 4595x2155px
Remove tutsi
>>
>>31001895
> talking shit about our savior Will Keith
>>
>>30996156
So basically you got triggered by anthro stuff.
>>
My grandfather brought back two "jap swords" (actual journal entry) after some smaller island landings where he set up airfields after a marine landing. I've tried to read his army records and can't read the handwriting from the official stuff but his "group" was tasked with combing the island for japs while the air corps was building strips for bombers.
From what I can tell some of the islands had imperial Japanese holdouts and his team killed them and he got some souvenirs between 1943 and 1945.
All of his souvenirs post-war were kept in his house on the Texas border and at some point during the 80's his Mexican wife's family stole them from the attic and sold them in pawn shops in Mexico.
Family legend has it that when he got Alzheimer's he buried some shit on the family land, and not that long afterward Texas highway patrol found him mumbling along looking for the grocery store.

So if you're a Mexican in the Coahuila area go dig near Lake Amistad you may find some cool stuff.
>>
>>31001922
Different anon here.
You literally don't comprehend how sperg-tastic the old furfags were. Everything had to be forced to fit them in and if it didn't they'd spam threads with cries of fursecution. Think of the average /pol/lack reeeeing to a jew post now magnify it by a thousand and you'll have a vague idea of how bad they were.
>>
>>31001911
So a halberd/pole ax variant? Neat.
>>
>>31001948
You're talkin to a furfag though, that was there, it's old hat. Like anything there's a very vocal minority that's blown up with a group of people who aren't even part of the interest, and just post it because it annoys people.

Now I'm not saying it shouldn't have been removed off most of the boards, as boards do have more specific purposes than furshit, but pretending it was some big widespread yiffening is just, wrong.
>>
>>31001968
I don't think it was as bad as many say, but the sheer volume of the faggotry from a small group makes it seem that way in hindsight.
>>
File: image.jpg (244KB, 863x1188px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
244KB, 863x1188px
>mfw I restore pieces but don't often get to talk about it because of sperglords

Damn autists fucking up hobbies
>>
>>31001985
Of course it does, but two or three loud annoying fags can turn into 10 or 20 pretty quickly on 4chan. Honestly it was a mix, yeah some people were legit autistic faggots, and yeah there were a lot of people who did it just to get a rise out of people, but the ones who did it for the rise wouldn't have been anywhere near as successful is people were just like, eh that anthro shit is weird but whatever.

Both sides had autistic fags, some posting furfaggotry, some legit triggered by it.
>>
>>30995818
There is only like 1 legend of a western sword and like a billion of katana ones. They're just more noteworthy of a weapon
>>
File: 1383937030095.png (1012KB, 800x1458px) Image search: [Google]
1383937030095.png
1012KB, 800x1458px
>>31001895
will keith is actually pretty based
>>
>>30995818
Most swords were sidearms
Polearms were the shit you fucking weird sucking faggot
>>
>>30998021
I've never had that problem with it. Most people think my katana is pretty cool I let them play with it.
>>
>>31001843
>The reason I don't like Katanas is because people think they can instantly cut someone in half
A fit strong man with technique can wreck you with anything sharp.
These threads make me dread running into some fuckwit off his meds with a katana. It seems to be the weapon of choice for troubled shitheads.
>>
>>31001895
>hating on Will Keith, the bane of bottles
get out
>>
File: italian-bastard-sword.jpg (72KB, 326x1189px) Image search: [Google]
italian-bastard-sword.jpg
72KB, 326x1189px
>>30995818
my pet interest is Bastard swords and side swords
(think heavy duty rapier)
lots of inertial kinematics and very strong wrist are needed to make any decent slash with them but they are mostly for poking ppl

what I find interesting about the katana are its one handed uses
like cutting from a draw or being able to dual wield them (Miyamoto Musashi ???)
uh this guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muramasa

part of the appeal is that so much more lore and method has survived compared to the European genesis where most of what I can find are German mercenary schools
and even they require a little interpretation
>>
The one guy with the nall ninja katana fucking kills me every time.

https://youtu.be/VyfTwdiKzWU
>>
>>31002133
I wasn't fit when I got a katana. Technique had a lot of time to brew either way trained or untrained it was pretty fucking dangerous.
>>
>>31002198
>lots of inertial kinematics and very strong wrist are needed to make any decent slash with them
Elaborate.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.