[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ruger LCP

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

File: ruger_lcp_2.jpg (386KB, 3255x1839px) Image search: [Google]
ruger_lcp_2.jpg
386KB, 3255x1839px
What is the general consensus of this pistol? I'm tired (back problems) of carrying around my G19, even with a decent belt and holster. I'd like something I'd be able to carry at all times, even in gym shorts.

Thoughts /k/? I'm pretty convinced I'm going to get a 2nd gen model or custom model
>>
The LCP is a great gun to throw at your attacker, after you shoot everyone around him.
>>
>>30995788
The whole "carrying a gun in gym shorts" meme is overrated. Before I get into that, I have to admit that I'm a little troubled by your statement that a ~32 ounce Glock gave you back problems, but I'll assume that's just an exaggeration meant to make the point. If not, then seriously seek medical help. A fully loaded Glock is really quite lightweight relative to the things people normally put on their bodies (backpack, winter jacket, photography gear), and the placement of it on your belt shouldn't put ANY strain on your back, so if it is, then there is something seriously amiss with your health.

The LCP is quite small and diminutive. I used to own one and I tried to like it - I even got really good at shooting that heavy trigger to the point where I could put 6 shots in a silver-dollar-size group at 7 yards - but drawing the gun from my pocket and presenting it without any fumbling around or having to re-grip it was...let's just say, challenging.

I can't recommend something like a Sig P238 highly enough, but the LCP is just too small, IMO. Protip if you think you're going to carry even an LCP in gym shorts, the gun will still weigh down your pocket pretty much, and since those kinds of shorts are so loose, it will probably shift around so the muzzle is pointed up at your head. Try a belly band holster or a similar body-hugging deep concealment type holster if your shorts are too light duty to take a belt.
>>
>>30996035
1) Although the back problem was slightly exaggerated, I have sciatic nerve issues. After about 3-4 hours of carrying around my G19, it becomes tiresome and uncomfortable. I have an Alien Gear 3.0 CT holster, and a Hanks Belt, I've tried reinforced as well. 31oz is a bit much for everyday carry to me.

2) I'll take everything you said into consideration, my other option I'm considering is a G42. I'd really like to be able to pocket carry something as well as IWB/AIWB if I'd like to. Thanks for your input. My local range has one available for rent, I'm going to go play with it; I've already played with the G42
>>
>>30995788
its great, it goes with me everywhere. tiny and light, decent caliber. the trigger is really long with a long reset, but i guess it makes it safer. the sights are non existant. but you are carrying this for defense within a few feet
>>
I have 3 pocket pistols, including the LCP. DESU, it's my least favorite. I'd take the S&W bodyguard (super comfy finger grooves) or keltec p32 (~9oz LOADED) any day of the week over the LCP.
>>
>>30996099
I have hip/sciatic issues too so I get it. They're ok but really popular because they were at the forefront of a growing market of new gun/conceal owners. Anything from major brands that is out now to compete with the original is just better because the designs have improved. The originals are not recommended. Ruger updated the .380 as the Custom and the 9mm LC9 as the S to fix trigger issues, etc.
>>
>>30996099
I appendix carry a Glock 42 and it's pretty nice. Easy to shoot and lightweight. Definitely won't conceal as well as an LCP but even compared to a Glock 19, it'll feel super light.
>>
>>30996117
Thanks for your input
>>30996227
I've heard some crap things about the Bodyguard, but that p32 seems neato. Although I'm not sure I'd carry a .32 acp; .380 is already enough compromise for me
>>30996251
Yeah. I don't plan on getting the original, only the 2nd gen/remodel or the custom
>>30996293
I need to lose my gut so I can appendix. (5'9 180lbs) I've shot the G42 at the range, it's pretty sweet. If I end up disliking the LCP I'm going with that.
>>
My wife loves her LCP now - but right out of the box the trigger is absolute shit. By the time you've squeezed the gun like you're trying to strangle a demonic bullfrog's eyes out, and by the time it eventually goes bang there's no predicting where the bullet went.
The year after I bought it for her, Ruger came out with their "updated" model with the skeletonized RED trigger, as if to advertise "we know our old trigger sucked...try this one!"
As far as I'm concerned, Ruger should advertise a free trigger job on any "old" LCP sent to them. Trigger pull is a little tough to accurately test in the gun shop. I paid too damn much for the gun because my wife liked it, and another $100 to fix the shitty trigger that neither of us liked. Ruger won't be seeing another dime from me on another firearm purchase until I see them unfuck their mistake for everybody else that might not want to pay for a trigger "upgrade," or not want to go through the hassle. They shouldn't have to.
Probably a bit much to ask that they send out a prepaid shipping box to anyone with an "old" LCP who calls them, and then send them back a usable firearm.
>>
The LCP custom (with the red trigger) is my favorite pocket carry.

I've tried an S&W Bodyguard but the trigger is absolute shit, the shittiest trigger on any gun in existence.

The non-custom triggers on the LCPs are also bad, the only usable one is the custom version. The custom version also comes with sights, which some people don't like, but you can put an old slide on a custom frame to get the best of both worlds.

Also consider KAHR 380s and Sig P238s.
>>
Girlfriend and I rented an LCP at the local range. The 3 mile long trigger pull made me instantly hate it, sights are shit too. To kick it all off, she picked it up off the table after loading a magazine and attempted to rack a round. After she struggled for a while I took it from her expecting a simple issue. After I couldn't get it to rack, I noticed the slide pin had slid out a couple mm's and had to be pushed back in before the slide would even move. Have no clue how or when inbetween shooting the pin moved but long story short, my girl literally signed for her new Sigp238 Sports12 today. Fuck the lcp
>>
File: EDC.jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
EDC.jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
>>30996502
Nigger, if you paid over $220 for your LCP, you deserve every bit of hosing Bill Ruger's ghost gives you.

Here's mine:
>>
File: Sigp238.jpg (37KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Sigp238.jpg
37KB, 640x480px
I'm a Sig fan so gotta post the far superior LCP alternative.
>>
>>30996637
>I've tried an S&W Bodyguard but the trigger is absolute shit, the shittiest trigger on any gun in existence.

I really want to try out a Bodyguard despite this. Galloway Precision makes an aftermarket trigger for it that fixes the ridiculous travel on it.
>>
>>30996785

All range guns are trash. Shame on you for making a judgment on a firearm because you used an abused and unmaintained rent pistol.
>>
The LCP is a fine pocket carry pistol. The long, heavy trigger is by design so you don't inadvertently discharge the weapon unless you intend you.
>>
>>30998307
I blame the loosness of the pin inside the gun, if it is designed in a way that lots of use causes the pin to wander is even more of a reason to say nope.email
>>
Tough trigger.
Terrible sights.
Annoying recoil.

...but God you can shove that little pistol anywhere.
>>
Its a good little pocket gun. It only weighs 12 ounces fully loaded. You hardly notice it is there and a 380 is certainly good enough for close range defensive work. I personally like the trigger. It is smooth and consistent yet heavy enough and a long pull so I feel very comfortable carrying it in a pocket holster.

The sights are close to non existent. It is a up close quick and dirty point n shoot defensive pistol, not a bullseye competition pistol.

Recoil is a bit uncomfortable and very snappy due to the extremely light weight gun. Its a deep concealment carry pistol, not a range gun. I hate the recoil and im not even recoil sensitive. for fucks sake, I put 40-50 rounds of full tilt 500 s&w mag through my revolver each range trip without much pain.
>>
File: 20160608_115540_Richtone(HDR).jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160608_115540_Richtone(HDR).jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
I have both the LCP and a body guard. I hate the LCP, it is awful to shoot, it rusts, and has a terrible trigger. You hold a bodyguard and an LCP and you will know right away that they shouldn't even be compared. The Bodyguard is leagues ahead.
>>
>>30998226
This. Holy shit the LCP is crap. I had one and every time I fired it the frame pins would move out. Bodyguard or 938 OP
>>
I had a Kel Tec P3AT as a motorcycle gun. I hated it. I can't imagine an LCP is much different. I also wear 2xl gloves.

I got the Sig P3AT on sale for $599 with night sights. With a pinky extended mag, it fits like a glove.

And as >>30996035 mentioned, the p238 is awesome and can't be recommended enough.
>>
How does Lcp compare lc9s pro recoil wise?
>>
>>30998226
238 is such a nice gun to shoot. That crisp as fuck SAO trigger is really nice, too bad the actual physical trigger is plastic shit. I still need to get an aluminum trigger.

I've shot the LCP (non-custom) and it is a miserable gun to shoot. You have next to no trigger control; it feels like you're squeezing the gun to death just to get a shot out.

I would be interested to shoot the custom to see how it compares.
>>
>>30995788
it's plenty good, get the red trigger one as the pull is better.

carry IWB if you run or your going to have it swinging around in a pocket and its gonna hit you in the balls. Happens with my phone, doesnt feel great.
>>
>>30997777
This, I paid 225 WITH TAX AND A BOX OF GS.
The guy at my shop can't move em because the locals believe fuddy five is the only thing that can stop faulty farm equipment.
>>
>>30995788
I love my lc9s is great.but that might just be me biased against .32 and .380

recoil is snappy but its not that bad if your not a pussy.
>>
>people saying LCP has worst trigger pull in existence
>have obviously never finger banged a Rhino stubby

Not saying it isn't bad, but I promise it's not the worst. On the other hand, I 100% recommend the p238. If you don't mind wheel guns, check out the Ruger LCR. Absolutely loved mine. THAT trigger felt amazing.
>>
>>30998862
I like your guns anon
>>
>>30997777

Damn dude, looks we we carry the same shit...lcp and the front pocket wallet.

Yours from saddleback too?
>>
>>30998276
I'm not certain that it is physically possible for any .380 trigger to suck worse than the LCP.
While I do like tinkering occasionally with gussying up a gun that I really like, I despise buying something new that needs substantial work before even being usable.
Ruger needs a recall. I have a Blackhawk and a Redhawk. After this LCP, I'll be damned if I'm buying another Ruger. AFTER a trigger job, it's fine. Out of the box - complete shit. And I mean the kind of utter shit that it would be if the gun had a two-round mag with burrs on the feed lips and new mags cost $100 special order level of shit.
>>
>>30997777
Yeah, I paid too much by a long shot. I wouldn't have paid half what I did if I had known what a shit trigger it had brand new. This is seriously the worst gun purchase I've ever made, and I've bought Ravens and RG revolvers. At least they worked like an actual damn gun.
Ruger needs a no-questions-asked recall for a trigger job for ANY owner of this gun, or they need to go out of business. Fuckwads.
>>
>>30998307
Bullshit. If anything, the LCP's shit trigger may have been improved by having a few hundred or thousand rounds put through it at a range, but regardless, it was trash out of the box because of the shitty trigger.
Resale value? I snap up any deal on a used gun and do some minor gunsmithing myself. I don't think I'd buy another LCP for $100 at this point unless it had already had a trigger job and I personally tested it for a few mags worth of rounds.
This is beyond doubt the shittiest trigger in existence.
Their "new" red trigger model is better from what I hear, but to me it amounts to the equivalent of the Ford Pinto installing a fluorescent orange fuel tank on the roof rack to prove it's not the model that's going to burst into fucking flames.
Ruger needs to fix their damn mistake.
>>
>>30996035
>Protip if you think you're going to carry even an LCP in gym shorts, the gun will still weigh down your pocket pretty much, and since those kinds of shorts are so loose, it will probably shift around so the muzzle is pointed up at your head.
Just get a holster that has a sawtooth clip and carry it IWB.
>>
>>30995788
It's gonna pull down gym shorts a bit, and flop around a lot. Make sure your shorts have zippers. Also use Underwood xtreme penetrator ammo, only copper defensive rounds with .380

I like the m&p bodyguard 380. Never gave me an issue. Comfy and locks back on the last round unlike the lcp.
>>
>>30998329
Yeah, that may be the Ruger party line. Now ask why the "new and improved" model has a red skeletonized trigger that DOESN'T have that "long, safe trigger pull." It isn't just long, it's fucking brutal. Or maybe ask why no other pocket pistol in existence has such a shitty trigger that requires that kind of length and force to pull. My wife has to squeeze the hell out of it. I find the trigger pull weight merely annoying, but the length of trigger pull means that 100% of the time, you can't hit shit because your entire hand has to shift left (if you're right handed) to get to the break point.
I can silver-dollar three rounds from 15 yards with any of six different handguns. I couldn't reliably milk-jug one round out of three from 10 yards with this POS trigger. A $100 trigger upgrade makes it acceptable, but shame on Ruger for not fixing that out of the box. It isn't by intentional design for safety, it's by negligent design for expedience.
>>
>>31002855
>Also use Underwood xtreme penetrator ammo, only copper defensive rounds with .380

http://shootingthebull.net/blog/final-results-of-the-380-acp-ammo-quest/

This site breaks down the performance of pretty much every .380 round on the market and shows exactly which you should buy.
>>
>>30998393
Meh, I expected shit sights for a pocket .380, as I don't buy that kind of gun to pick flies off of fencepostss. I also expect a lot of recoil in a gun firing a decent SD round when the gun itself weighs next to nothing.
What I didn't expect is the worst trigger I've ever experienced. I had half a mind to leave the shit trigger in and use it to demonstrate to folks just getting their CCW why they need to seriously consider the feedback the trigger is giving them before deciding on buying their first gun.
Would be nice if Ruger even acknowledged this and sold an inexpensive replacement trigger, or better yet, just repaired any gun with the original trigger.
>>
>itt: one ruger owner will not stop talking about getting triggered
>>
>>30998474
If you "personally like the trigger," no way do you have one of the original LCP's prior to the "new improved RED SO YOU KNOW IT DOESN"T SUCK AS MUCH" triggers, or you have one that someone has done trigger work on before you got it. The standard trigger is by far the worst I've ever experienced in any handgun.
Seriously, with the original trigger, that would be like someone saying they like they "personally like the view" from a house with no roof.
>>
>>31003029
One owner?
Try dozens of reviews, and hundreds of Ruger owners, even on Ruger's own forums. He ain't the only one having stock trigger issues.
>>
>>31003071
>itt

If reading 4chan is too difficult you might consider Hooked on Phonics.
>>
I have not shot the LCP but I did handle it in the store and tried the trigger. I bought the Taurus TCP insted. It was 179 and about 60 bucks less then the ruger and I felt it had a better trigger. I usually carry a Kahr PM9 IWB but for the "gym short days" this does pocket carry with a rubber plug behind the trigger for safety. I have about 150 rounds through it so far with no problems but it is kinda snappy and not much fun to shoot.
>>
>>30995788
I have the lightest possible commercial pistol, in gym shorts it needs a belt and some kind of holster. It's light but gym shorts are held up with elastic that wouldn't even hold up a knife without you stopping to pull up your pants at some point.
Gym shorts can't really accommodate anything aside from covering up the area it covers.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.