[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bush Survival tips for a Newbie

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: tumblr_inline_n6laiqaImT1sc4697.jpg (44KB, 357x238px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_n6laiqaImT1sc4697.jpg
44KB, 357x238px
Ive been hunting small game and such since a kid but now im a man i want to start staying out bush for a while at a time hunting big game, So /K what are your tips
>>
I have a good couple knives and a .22LR thats extremely reliable, Anyone have any links or books to read that are helpfull
>>
Bumperino
>>
File: 1455953839200.jpg (106KB, 488x589px) Image search: [Google]
1455953839200.jpg
106KB, 488x589px
>Clear water is drinkable straight up
>Carry at least 5 knives
>Food, Water, Fire, Shelter (in that order)
>Watch a few episodes of bear grylls before you set off

Have fun OPerino! You'll be fine! :D
>>
Learn to-
>Navigate
>Find clean water or purify sources
>Take a medical kit and how to deal with common injuries
>Make and maintain shelters
>A communication means to get out if you get injured or sick

I used to do a bit of search-rescue and frankly unprepared people piss me off because they're fucking idiots who do stupid shit in the first place.
>>
>>30991108
Where in the east coast would be a good place to walk around and live in the woods with an ak or ar for hunting?
Also I have a bag a few knives, plenty of bottles of water.
I have a /k/ and /out/ list of things I'd need but where to go is the question.
>>
>>30991121
US or Australia- I'm the latter, but I know the US east coast a little bit
>>
>>30990817

Always remember: two is one, one is none. So whatever you take, double it, then double it again if you're serious. I take it so far as to put an extra backpack rolled up inside my pack in case it gets a rip or broken buckle.

Another survival tip is batoning. Batoning is extremely important skill to learn and practice every chance you can. I suggest carrying some really large knives for batoning, some regular sized ones for batoning and food prep, and a few smaller ones for batoning and opening snacks.

Bring tons of matches. They dont leak gas like a lighter and will still work when wet unlike fire steels.

Bring a water bottle, if you live in a wet climate empty is fine and saves on weight. Remember the adage to avoid giardia and other illness: "Water's clear? Drink, no fear! - Water brown? Shit's abound."

Folding chairs are great for survival, keeping you dry and comfortable enough to think clearly. They are light and cheap, bring at least a couple.

Finally: jerky. Lots and lots of jerky. You don't even need to hunt if you have enough jerky at the outset, since that's basically what you're hunting for anyway. In fact I would argue this is possibly more important than batoning, but I dont want to open that can of worms on here.

Good luck!
>>
>>30991130
>ak
>ar
>for hunting

Yeah, nah cunt, it was pretty obvious which country he was in. Try and get a Cat C/R for recreational hunting, you will get your shit pushed.
>>
>>30991159
>jerky
>In fact I would argue this is possibly more important than batoning, but I dont want to open that can of worms on here.

I've covered all my bases.

I buy the really cheap jerky, the kind that's all dry and harder than Chinese arithmetic. Then I practice my batoning on that before I eat it.
>>
>>30991055
Youre a bad troll. Try harder next time.

>>30991159
Not all clear water is good to go, youre forgetting bacteria which you cannot see

OP you want to purify all the water you find before you drink it unless:
1. You are sure it's pure
2. It's coming straight from a spring

Never underestimate the damage bacteria can do if you pretend it's not there. I learnt that the hard way paddling around Tasmania.
>>
>>30991055
>literally the opposite of what you should really do
I hope no one is retarded enough to sincerely believe that you need food over warmth and water.
>>
>>30991565
explain where you will get the energy to find water, start fire, and build a shelter around it without caloric intake. wouldn't expect an armchair survivalist to understand this concept but work requires energy requires calories requires food.
>>
>>30990817
never baton with a knife.
bring a small axe to chop wood.
>>
>>30991723
It takes a while to starve to death. Wind and wet can kill you in less than half an hour.
>>
>>30991565
>that post
and that is how you spot someone that's never set their foot anywhere near the 'wilderness'
>>
>>30991723
are you fucking diabetic? you can go days without eating. Days! fuck, you can actually go weeks without eating it just won't be fun.

Do you know how long the average Rescue takes? 3 Days. if you can make shelter and signalling and just shit on your ass for 3 days theres a really damn good chance you'll live. if you run around trying to hunt deer with a rock you'll freeze to death after tripping into a creek and I will laugh at your obit
>>
>>30990817
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P73REgj-3UE
>>
>>30992856
Not him but i am diabetic. My solution? Disconnect from insulin. The lack of insulin will keep your blood glucose normal(ish) for a while, and if you are smart you will plan right anyway.

but a person would die of hypothermia in winter way before i died of hypoglycemic shock unless i went full retard
>>
>>30993060
Best channel on youtube in my opinion. Recently he discovered iron and I hope he skips the bronze age and moves into the iron age.
>>
>>30993060
>>30993087
its pretty cool but you wouldn't want to do that in a survival situation. the smaller the shelter the better
>>
>>30990817
>I guarantee your knife is too big and heavy
A good bushcraft knife has a 4-5" drop-point blade, yet all the "survival" knives I see advertised are these humongous clip-point Bowie knockoffs. Even a lot of the "good" ones.
>carry 3 separate ways to start fire
Bic lighter (not the gas station knockoff that's 99 cents) in a ziploc sandwich bag. Storm matches in a separate ziploc sandwich bag. Either a ferrocerium rod or a fire steel (whichever you're better with) in a *third* ziploc bag.
>learn to read a topo map
Also own a topo map for your area and the areas you intend to be in, and carry them.
>>
>>30990817
You are going to die.

How long you can hold that off though is dependent on your skills
>>
>>30993106
I know, i'm just contributing a somewhat relevant and definitely cool thing. His whole channel is like that. Smelting iron, making baskets, slings, kilns, axes, stuff like that.
>>
>>30993131
how long do you think until he discovers electricity?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.