[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats your favorite battles fought by Smaller nations.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 33

File: Jadotville.jpg (46KB, 620x330px) Image search: [Google]
Jadotville.jpg
46KB, 620x330px
What's your favorite Wars, Battles, Engagements or Special Operations carried out by a small nation, or just small armies. Any time period just badass stuff by the underdogs.

I have a few, but my favorite I think is one I only read about recently.

Siege of Jadotville, fought by Irish UN Peacekeepers in the DRC in Africa. the 'A' Company, 35th Battalion of 155 Irish troops, led by Commandant Pat Quinlan, was surrounded and attacked by (Varied reports) up to 500-5000 Katangese troops, Belgian, French and Rhodesian mercenaries and Belgian settlers, the Katangese also had an armed CM170.

They held out for 6 days under shelling from a 75mm, jet bombing and mortar strikes by a 81mm, along with mass wave attacks from the enemy, with only light arms and a 60mm mortar to defeat them.

The Katangese suffered over 300 dead and 1000 wounded, while the Mercenaries reported 30 deaths.

The Irish ended up having only 5 wounded in action.

With this being said, in the end the Irish, who had lost communication with their HQ, were forced to surrender, as they had ran out of ammunition, food and water after the UN relief effort had failed to reach the camp. A radio message sent to the HQ by the Irish before communication broke down read
"We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey" (of course).

It was reported that Merc officers were seen shooting deserting Katangese soldiers to try and stem rout within their lines.

The troops were released from captivity a month later after negotiation with the Katages, the battle was later covered up by the Irish Defense Forces, presumably out of misplaced embarrassment over the surrender of the troops, (Even though they had ran out of ammo food and water!), and only reviewed and recognized again in 2005.

>yfw You will never get to blast Mercs and niggers with an FN FAL and a Vickers MG in the jungle heat while drinking whiskey.

feelsbadman.jpg

Post your stuff guys, please, I love these kind of things.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cuito_Cuanavale

>South Africans and Cubans fight a tank battle in Angola
>>
File: 00bee3_5589883.jpg (625KB, 2464x1648px) Image search: [Google]
00bee3_5589883.jpg
625KB, 2464x1648px
>>30986928
Aw fuck yes, this thread is already worth all that typing, thanks anon, gonna get a nice drink and dig into this.
>>
File: Operation Dingo.png (19KB, 283x641px) Image search: [Google]
Operation Dingo.png
19KB, 283x641px
I feel that this is mandatory for all of these threads.
>>
the Polish-Soviet War
>>
>>30986996
It deserves to be.
>>
>>30987014
>smaller nations

it's a remarkable war though because it was the time when the hopes for the world revolution were destroyed

also because poles were too greedy in that war and annexed some land they got that soviet invasion in 20 years and were forced to give the land back

poles are despicable things always ready to strike your back
>>
>>30987063
They seem to mostly hate Germans and Russians, which is alright by me.
>>
Even though they ultimately were pushed back, I think its mandatory that the Finns Vs. Soviets Winter War is mentioned here. Simo Häyhä and all that good stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_War
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annexation_of_Portuguese_India

This is mainly funny because Portugal got cucked by the rest of NATO so badly.

Not only did they refuse to help, but Portugal physically couldn't ship weapons to reinforce the colony because no country would let them use their airports.
>>
>>30987063
>always ready to strike your back
Thats how i feel about Russians
>>
>>30986996
>>30987037

Uh, no it fucking doesn't. They have a small fleet of attack jets, bombers and attack helicopters, shooting at a disorganized guerilla force of only infantry.

This is like calling Americans predator strikes battles, or pearl harbor a battle.

>Inb4 Rhodies dinndu nuffin, dey wuz outnumbered!

Oh no, I'm a lone soldier, armed only with a small loan of multimillion dollar attack aircraft.
>>
>>30987230
I am unsure why you're upset.
>>
>>30987230
Any type of competent military could fend off early jet attack craft and push on 200 men with only basic AA equipment.
>>
File: image.jpg (125KB, 616x999px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
125KB, 616x999px
>>30987014
ah, the war where Russians got btfo by taking immensely lopsided casualties in multiple battles
>>
>>30987280
>he said as if that wasn't most wars involving Russia
>>
>>30987063
You seem to be harboring dangerously friendly feelings for the Soviet Scum. The Poles saved Europe from the communist hordes.
>>
>>30987313
>You seem to be harboring dangerously friendly feelings for the Soviet Scum. The Poles saved Europe from the communist hordes.
I'd call him a slavaboo, but I guess that counts for Poles too
>>
>>30987172
I would feel very betrayed if I were them man, wtf.
>>
The Ethiopia-Eritrea War is pretty interesting

Two African countries fight a full scale conventional war in a desolate desert shithole, with trench warfare.

There were also Mig on Mig dogfights, supposedly with Ukrainian mercenaries flying the Migs on one side and Russian mercenaries flying them on the other.
>>
>>30987333
East Slavs =/= Western Slavs

slavaboo is only an insult to east slav bydlos

>>30987063
yea dos ebil poolacks always bullying poor russia
>>
>>30987345
Now that sounds like a good read, thanks anon.
>>
>>30987343
Basically, it happened right as most of Europe had decided to write off the whole colonies thing, and pretend they did it voluntarily as opposed to it being the US and USSR agreeing on something for once.

Salazar, the generalissimo in charge of Portugal decided to go full speed in the opposite direction.

This is also how Portugal found itself fighting simultaneous wars in Guinea, Mozambique, and Angola.

>those last two went red for a while
>>
This is as good a time as any to remind everyone that Gaddafi had mechanized infantry and armored divisions get blown the fuck out by pic related.
>>
File: pinsn.png (7KB, 314x277px) Image search: [Google]
pinsn.png
7KB, 314x277px
>>30987280
well it was like the civil war time semi-militia that invaded poland

soviets revenged for that, btw like 20k+ of those prisoners were executed and then the polish president crashed when he flied to grieve them

not to count what germans and ukrainian nationalists did to poles

>>30987292
wew
>>
File: image.jpg (164KB, 478x1062px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
164KB, 478x1062px
>>30987280
>Minimum Russian strength: 104,000
>Minimum Russian casualties: 110,00
somehow the russians found a way to take more than 100% casualties
>>
>>30986916
>you'll never be a WWII/Algeria vet turn mercenary between the 60s and the 80s
Why live. French Africa was so much better before.
>>
>>30987434
polish historians are not very good with numbers
>>
>>30987434
Joseph Stalin was so butthurt about it that when Germany offered a joint invasion of Poland, he had every Polish officer he could find killed by the NKVD.
>>
>>30987230
Calm your tits, faggot. This is a thread about /k/'s favorite battles, not a thread about symmetry in combat between opposing combatant forces.
>>
>>30987450
and russian historians dont like telling the truth
>>
>>30987461
truely took being assblasted to the next level
>>
File: WarIranIraq[1].jpg (286KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
WarIranIraq[1].jpg
286KB, 1600x1200px
out of all the wars for decolonization of africa the congo crisis was always my favorite.
also the iran iraq war always piqued my interests.
>>
>>30987505
>what it feels like to chew 5 gum
>>
>>30987450
Neither were Russians since they kept getting ass whooped all the way victory despite having technological, logistical and numerical advantage. It's basically the Rocky Balboa method of fighting wars: get your enemy exhausted by using your face to block his punches and injure his hands.
>>
>>30987491
that's bs though, stalin wasn't a /k/-fag to feel butthurt for such a reason. he executed them because it fit him, likely because it was expensive to hold them alive or to dangerous to release or something

>>30987474
well, this table is an example of polish historians not being very good with numbers. btw i take that 10k missed poles were mostly actually dead (why would they be missed otherwise) so the k/d is about the same with the major causalities it were those who were captured or deflected

that's fighting a barely organized at that moment soviet forces, gj poland, no wonder you fell like an apple in 20 years
>>
File: RISE.png (401KB, 1038x537px) Image search: [Google]
RISE.png
401KB, 1038x537px
>>30987063
Sad day indeed. Although, I'd say the Bolsheviks would have never really brought about Marx's dream of worldwide Communism.
Mensheviks might have, though. They seemed more like Marx-literalists.
>>
>>30987567
>likely because it was expensive to hold them alive or to dangerous to release or something

It was mostly because he wanted to keep Poland under his control.

The officer corps was the first obstacle to that.
>>
>>30987542
wew

really, name me one such a war. this soviet-polish war they didnt have these advantages, the ww2 they didnt have these advantages (and still won), what else? possibly the winter war, but it was mostly because finns had a heavy line of the fortifications, and also soviet union won that war (finns claim that stalin wanted them losing their independence so just paying money and giving away a chunk of karelia is not loss blah blah blah), soviet jap war they suddenly didnt have these advantages too, jap ships were western-built, aphghanistan they had them but they lose it in a similar way how usa lost vietnam (and with less casualities than usa)
>>
>>30987230
>10,000 strong force
>Can't defeat 200 infantry and 30 aircraft
>Said force loses 8,000 men
Dude, it's impressive no matter what. 80% casualties from a force that's 2% your size? They got fucked up.
>>
>>30987567
Yes he was, Stalin's notoriously childish tantrums and schizophrenic mood swings were legendary, the fucker held so much grudge against people who humiliated him that he had Leon Tolstoy erased from Soviet Collective history.
>>
>>30987661
Chechnya
>>
>>30987474
this desu, so much of their history during the USSR era is fabricated
>>
>>30987661
To be honest, the Soviet-Afghan War was embarrassing compared to the Vietnam War.

>Mujihadeen were constantly infighting and had no unified command, whereas the VC and NVA were excellently led
>Soviets literally never stopped doing armored sweeps, as if they were in the Fulda Gap
>US figured out how to COIN and introduced CORDS three years into their war
>Soviets losing entire columns to Muji ambushes and having all of their weapons looted before anyone responded
>most of the weapons for the Mujis came from China and Poland, "fellow" communists
>US waltzes in 12 years later, and holds the country for 15 years with about as many casualties as a single bad year of fighting for the USSR

To be fair, the DRA made ARVN look like gods, and the Mujihadeen were a lot better than the Taliban.
>>
>>30987429
What the fuck did you say? Seriously, I can't fucking understand what you're typing. Did you run it through a translator 20 times before pasting it in the text box?
>>
File: 1418586251625s.jpg (3KB, 107x125px) Image search: [Google]
1418586251625s.jpg
3KB, 107x125px
>>30987686
>>
File: 1459788150658.jpg (120KB, 1324x800px) Image search: [Google]
1459788150658.jpg
120KB, 1324x800px
the congo crisis is a personal favorite
>you will never look this aesthetic while going into combat
feelsbadman.jpg
>>
>>30987686
That has to be the most depressing war in recent history.

Both countries had a perfectly rational reason to want to go to war.

It ruined both countries.
>>
>>30987661
Yeah, and sometimes i wonder why all of Eastern Europe/Former Warsaw Pact despise you and view your people, culture and country as a cancer then im reminded by shit like this
>>
File: UQpHuvR.png (145KB, 567x345px) Image search: [Google]
UQpHuvR.png
145KB, 567x345px
>>30987661
>breakdown into broken english
>technically we won
>not a real loss

The vatniks are getting worse every day
>>
>>30987834
whoops sorry vatnik, meant to quote this post
>>30987567
>>
>>30987734
>>US waltzes in 12 years later, and holds the country for 15 years with about as many casualties as a single bad year of fighting for the USSR

i dunno what you mean but soviets were there for 10 years and had four times less causalities than americans in vietnam, americans where there about 12 years or so i believe

>>30987685
i guess you mean trotsky and he assassinated him for pure political reasons

>>30987686
the first war was when the country was in an abysmal state after the soviet regime had collapsed (you likely can't imagine the state of the crisis) and its army was in abyssal state too, after that when it got a bit better, it suppressed insurgents
>>
>>30987870
I was talking about the US war in Afghanistan.

It went a lot smoother than the Soviet one.

To be fair, the US was up against a weaker opponent.
>>
>>30987870
i think he meant was we showed up 12 years after bydlos left and we performed /took less casualties in a longer war against relatively the same insurgents
>>
>>30987859
and what exactly offended you in that post? that i assumed missed as dead who weren't counted for and buried after the battle?
>>
>>30987890
do you seriously compare a war in 80ss with a war in 00ss....
>>
>>30987870
>he assassinated him for pure political reasons
Yeah, sure. Keep telling yourself that.
>>
File: cro.png (24KB, 208x613px) Image search: [Google]
cro.png
24KB, 208x613px
Croatian War of Independence
>>
>>30987922
>me
>in charge of not be a retard
i was attempting (lol) to respond to >>30987429
by saying i wonder why they all hate russia/russians and view them as cancer
>>
>>30988024

oh, you are just a butthurt pole

you know, when you are bragging how you won one war you might be remembered how you lost another
>>
>>30987429
>Soviets revenges for that
By commiting a massive war crime and being massive dicks, as usual. Fucking subhuman Russians
>>30987661
>Finns had heavy fortifications
Literally propaganda straight from the time period. The Finns were holding rudimentary defense lines and were still giving the Soviets absolute hell.
>>30987791
Fucking love 5 Commando and Mike Hoare, kicked all sorts of ass and sent that faggot Che running.
>>30987870
>assassinated Trotsky for purely political reasons
Like every other member who was formerly in Lenin's inner circle? Stalin was a cold brutal psycho, he was systematically removing threats (real or imagined) to his rule. While somewhat understandable given the situations he found himself in, but he took shit to the next level.
>>
Definitely the 2006 Israel-Hezbollah war

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Lebanon_War

A lot of lessons learned for both sides
>>
>>30988051
American with German grandparents but A for projection Gommisar

anyways
>lost one war won the other
Poles won in 1920, they won in 1945 and won in 1989
>>
File: image.gif (323KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
323KB, 200x200px
>>30987870
>assassinated for purely political reasons
Crimea was invaded for purely politcal reasons
Russia was allied with Germany for purely politcal reasons
German women were raped by Russians for purely politcal reasons
>>
>>30988124
>By commiting a massive war crime
the war crime came as a by-product, poland really hadn't to annex the land after that earlier war, i personally see nothing wrong that ussr took it back (even though nowadays it belongs to ukraine). it's kind of funny btw, germany and pro-german ukrainian nationalists did way more war crimes against poles than merely killing 20k pows which almost wasn't a war crime by then standards (afaik ukrainian nationalists killed like 5 times more polish civilians, that's leaving aside germans who killed 6 mln poles) but poles love those regardless, germany and ukraine are their best friends who never did anything wrong. they lick the butt of whoever the strongest currently and kick whoever is weaker

>Literally propaganda straight from the time period.
the line of mannerheim is a literally propaganda, ok

>Like every other member who was formerly in Lenin's inner circle? Stalin was a cold brutal psycho, he was systematically removing threats (real or imagined) to his rule. While somewhat understandable given the situations he found himself in, but he took shit to the next level.
stalin was a psycho indeed, but not somebody who would execute people for imaginary butthurts, he wanted the absolute power and executed whoever could threaten it
>>
>>30988186
you make unrelated statements for purely political reasons too?

also
>Crimea was invaded
wew
>>
File: image.png (234KB, 516x1599px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
234KB, 516x1599px
>>30988239
>the war crime came as a by-product, poland really hadn't to annex the land after that earlier war, i personally see nothing wrong that ussr took it back (even though nowadays it belongs to ukraine). it's kind of funny btw, germany and pro-german ukrainian nationalists did way more war crimes against poles than merely killing 20k pows which almost wasn't a war crime by then standards (afaik ukrainian nationalists killed like 5 times more polish civilians, that's leaving aside germans who killed 6 mln poles) but poles love those regardless, germany and ukraine are their best friends who never did anything wrong. they lick the butt of whoever the strongest currently and kick whoever is weaker
>"20k wasnt really even a war crime!!"
>mfw
See stage 3, only a vatnik will have this backwards literal subhuman logic
>>
>>30988164
>they won in 1945
they didn't won, they were freed from germany also were forced into the warsav pact.

>and won in 1989
yet again they didnt won, they were freed from the soviet influence because ussr collapsed

"winners" lol'd, like other countries do the heavy lifting and affect their fate and then they stand up and claim they have "won"

really polandball-tier indeed
>>
>>30988257
when your military illegally crosses into a country with the intent of being a hostile combatant its called an invasion anon, but im pretty sure in russian its called """"liberation"""""
>>
>>30988276
try to read with your eyes instead of your ass, i didn't say what you ascribe to me
>>
>>30988294
>they didnt won in 1945
your grammar, fuck. Anyways, Poland was a member of the allies, the allies won. Poland therefor won. Literally deal with it
>warsav pact
Poland won in 1945, was subsequently occupied until 1989 when they overthrew their communist government. Restoring independence and kicking out occupiers counts as a victory anon

>heavy lifting
Countries the size of New Mexico cant afford using mass waves as a way of war
>>
>>30988300
>with the intent of being a hostile combatant
do you know there were really no fights during that annexation?
>>
>>30988312
20k almost*** wasnt a war crime

is that better my room temperature iq bydlo friend?
>>
>>30988349
yeah sorry i dont get my news from Pravda and RT, poor russia being bullied by evil West again
>>
>>30986916
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Pork_Chop_Hill
>Thailand
>Colombia
>Ethiopia did especially well

Go little foreigners go!
>>
>>30988348
>your grammar, fuck
i dunno why non natives always try to fix english of other non natives even when it is a perfectly grammatically correct simple past sentence

>Poland won in 1945, was subsequently occupied until 1989 when they overthrew their communist government. Restoring independence and kicking out occupiers counts as a victory anon

sure thing, except you didn't kick out anybody, you were freed by the soviet troops in 1945 and then soviets voluntarily left your country in 1989

>Countries the size of New Mexico cant afford using mass waves as a way of war

poland is almost of the size of germany. also when you lost such a chunk of your population anyway you could try i dunno to fight instead of simply being slaughtered
>>
>>30988365
"by then standards"

it's a war crime but less serious than killing civilians which you seem to forgive to germany and ukraine

>>30988387
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annexation_of_Crimea_by_the_Russian_Federation
>>
>>30988239
The crime to me is more of the fact that the USSR went to great lengths to conceal Katyn and there are many who still deny Soviet complicity in the act. I'm well aware of what the Germans and Ukrainian nationalists did to the Poles, but that doesn't shrink nor lessen the degree of the crime commited by the Soviets. All three parties violated Poland, that is something that can be acknowledged. As to the Poles getting close to the Ukrainians or Germans, that may have something to do with the fact that while those countries mistreated Poland greatly, they didn't occupy it for almost 50 years, install a brutal as fuck Communist shit government, and treat them like utter shit the whole time. Moving on
>Mannerheim Line was propaganda
No, but Soviet propaganda greatly over-represented it's actual abilities by portraying it as something akin to the Maginot line, when in reality it was a series of blockhouses, wooden/earthen bunkers, and basic trenches.
>last bit of your post
Nothing wrong with what you said, I can agree with that at least.
>>
>>30988447
>USSR went to great lengths to conceal Katyn

because it wanted help from the allies and those cared of poles for some reason
>>
>>30988399
>t is a perfectly grammatically correct simple past sentence
except where it is not

>sure thing, except you didn't kick out anybody, you were freed by the soviet troops in 1945 and then soviets voluntarily left your country in 1989
Again, Im American. And Poland wasnt freed by Russians in 1945, they occupied the country, theres a difference between liberating a country and occupying it. When you kick out Nazis oppressive government and install your own oppresive government it isnt an liberation, we liberated France, Belgium, and The Netherlands.

>also when you lost such a chunk of your population anyway you could try i dunno to fight instead of simply being slaughtered
Poland had the 4th biggest army in the West. They also had the largest resistance movement in occupied europe. They fought despite what your falsified history books say. Your people were slaughtered, When your military takes takes the most causalties and no one even comes close, thats called getting slaughtered. When your military uses mass waves and loses 60 million (s i x t y) men, thats called getting slaughtered.
>>
>>30988518
>Poland had the 4th biggest army in the West
i dunno why it succumbed so fast then

may be because they tried to attack tanks with cavalry charges?

>When your military uses mass waves and loses 60 million (s i x t y) men, thats called getting slaughtered.

polish books indeed, you increased the number of dead by more than two and only 1/3 of those were servicemen, most were civilians
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties_of_the_Soviet_Union

nope, they died fighting with what weapon they got, not their fault their weapon at first was worse, germany lost around 5+ mln dead soldiers at that front too which is not that far from 8.6 mln soviet soldiers, that's despite they completely devastated the soviet forces at first

poles meantime were slaughtered like cattle
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Sitka

While Thomas Jefferson was president, the Russians were fighting it out with the Indians in Alaska.
>>
>>30988629
>i dunno why it succumbed so fast then
probably because you dont know anything about the war (big surprise) the Poles army (4th largest) was formed in France and were disbanded in 1946
>may be because they tried to attack tanks with cavalry charges?
nice b8, not surprised that russian history books believe this tho

>most were civilians
just like most of the Poles casualties, you both were slaughtered "like cattle"

nope, they died fighting with what weapon they got, not their fault their weapon at first was worse, germany lost around 5+ mln dead soldiers at that front too which is not that far from 8.6 mln soviet soldiers, that's despite they completely devastated the soviet forces at first
yeah nah, they died like cowards, you probably havent read accounts and diaries from German soldiers but they didnt die fighting, they died because after surrendering at the first sight of Panzers they were put on their knees and executed. Literally "Next".

Was the 60 million worth it? Your country just ended up becoming a shitheap (as it was before the war), ended up getting embarrassed by us repeatedly during the cold war, slowly disintegrated and collapsed not even 50 since your were invaded. Your people stood in foodlines because of the failure of the state, and now even Putin cant stop Russias economy from crumbling faster than the Warsaw Pact. The largest landmass country in the world literally has an economy the size of Spain's. Embarrassing. All your people accomplished was turning into the butt of our jokes for 70+ years
>>
File: Operation Eland.png (15KB, 356x413px) Image search: [Google]
Operation Eland.png
15KB, 356x413px
>>30987230
Fine, anon, have this one instead.

>inb4 hurr durr doesn't count because they drove right into the middle of the enemy base, called an assemblage, and killed fucking everyone
That's called tactics, anon, it wins the battles.

>>30988752
>nice b8, not surprised that russian history books believe this tho
They did though. And it was somewhat successful because they charged from the flank or rear and were armed with anti-tank weapons.
>>
>>30988752
dude, i gave you a link with numbers and you simply ignored it, wew

also i see it like you try to invent any insult imaginable to quench your butthurt. people back then didn't have much choice but to fight (or to be slaughtered like poles), do you imply germany wanted to bring democratic liberation or what? i dunno how you brought putin here

poles are funny indeed

p.s. btw i have like 1/8 of polish blood, i used to like poles but when i actually began to meet them on the internet i got ashamed of it, they are one of the most disgusting nations
>>
>>30988861
I know it happened, they used cavalry to tow AT guns or some shit, them charging tanks with sabers like they time traveled from 1669 is Nazi propaganda and its not a surprise to me that Russians unironically believe it
>>
File: Untitled.png (153KB, 315x820px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
153KB, 315x820px
>>30986916
Britain Blown The Fuck Out
>>
File: Bay of pigs Invasion.png (116KB, 319x777px) Image search: [Google]
Bay of pigs Invasion.png
116KB, 319x777px
Cuba showing America who's boss
>>
>>30986916
>falklands

is toppest
>>
>>30988888
>dude, i gave you a link with numbers and you simply ignored it, wew
>believing russian numbers
>ever
'no'
>also i see it like you try to invent any insult imaginable to quench your butthurt.
all facts bruh
>people back then didn't have much choice but to fight
Like the Poles did right?
>do you imply germany wanted to bring democratic liberation or what?
no im implying the Russians were just as bad for Poland as the Germans were

>poles are funny indeed
3rd time ive said i was American but i guess vatniks arnt keen on listening (big surprise)

>they are one of the most disgusting nations
id give that honor to russians desu, theres a reason why literally all of europe except like belarus view russians as a form of cancer. Theres a reason why Lithuania, Estonia, and Latvia (former USSR republics lmao) joined NATO

anyways you didnt answer my question: was losing 60 million to mass waves worth your country maintaining its shitheap status?
>>
>>30986916
The finno korean hyperwar, what a damn tragedy
>>
>>30988987
rip jackie chan
>>
>>30988968
>>believing russian numbers
>'no'
you prefer to believe the numbers you personally invented on the spot? i believe that that estimation from the time when the archives were opened in the beginning of 90ss is actually larger than the earlier general estimations, i recall a european book printed in 80ss where they were estimated ~1/4 less. generally when you see an unnaturally high estimation it's either propaganda or some historian tries to make a name for himself

>3rd time ive said i was American

why are you so keen to defend poles then lol
i never saw a non-native who would defend another nation with such tears and butthurt as you defend poles
polish american or something?
also i missed it, frankly i dont read you very attentively since i dont take you very seriously

btw i doubt that "mass wave" it's how a native speaker would say it but im not sure, so i semi-doubt that you are a proper american
>>
File: Greater Somalia.jpg (862KB, 1009x1155px) Image search: [Google]
Greater Somalia.jpg
862KB, 1009x1155px
Buckle up faggots, because it's time for the tale of the Great East African Cripple Fight.

So back in the Cold War, everyone was scrambling to get a puppet state in East Africa to allow them to exert influence over shipping through the Suez Canal. By the early '70s, the US had settled on Ethiopia, while the Soviets had responded by propping up Siad Barre in Somalia.

While both received support from their respective allies, they had widely different goals. The Ethiopians ended up focusing on the use of small numbers of high-quality equipment, particularly with respect to their air force. Meanwhile, Barre blew away Soviet funds on massive amounts of equipment - everything from aircraft to tanks and small arms. Driven by the idea of uniting "greater somalia," he funnelled resoures into terrorist groups in neighboring Ethiopia and Kenya in hopes of uniting the Somali peoples under one desolate, hilariously poor state.

Well in 1974, a coup in Ethiopia overthrew the US-backed "Empire" of Ethiopia, and, after some human rights abuses were committed, the Carter Administration withdrew support for Ethiopia. Meanwhile, the chaos surrounding the coup weakend the government, as various rebel groups moved to gain independence. Barre siezed upon this, funneling more supplies into terrorists in Ogaden, in eastern Ethiopia.
>>
>>30986916
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Chawinda
The only time muzzies impressed me. Might have something to do with them not being arabs.
>>
>>30986916
>Katangese forces estimated at 500-5000 people.
>Suffered 300 dead, 1000 injured
>500-5000
>500-...
>>
>>30988156
ha for fux sakes stop talking about that war
>>
File: 20160225_192324.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160225_192324.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>30989154
So, as things deteriorated for the new Derg regime in Ethiopia, Barre took it upon himself to invade. In July 1977, practically the entire Somali Army invaded Ogaden, working alongside Somali-backed terrorists. Invading without a formal declaration of war, the Ethiopians thought they were just fighting unusually well-prepared terrorists until MiG-17s started shooting down their transports as they tried to resupply encircled garrisons.

Well only after Ethiopian F-5s started shooting down Somali fighters did the Ethiopians really start to understand the gravity of the situation. The Somalis rushed into Ethiopia along pretty much the entire border, overrunning nearly all of Ogaden within a month and stopping only after some desperate defenses at Dire Dawa and Harar.

Fortunately for the Ethiopians, Siad Barre was retarded. The Soviets were surprised by the invasion themselves and fairly unsupportive of the whole war. Soon after it became apparent that Somalia had invaded, the Soviets had started looking at shifting support to the less aggressive Derg regime in Ethiopia. Barre saw the writing on the wall, and tried to negotiate with the West for arms shipments all while visiting Moscow to keep the Soviets neutral. He failed at both of these things. As the Soviets moved to support Ethiopia, Barre decided the best course of action was to immediately expel all the Soviet advisors in the country. Meanwhile, the West wasn't too keen to support a country invading its neighbor unprovoked, so the most Barre got was nominal support from the West.
>>
>>30987434
>somehow the russians found a way to take more than 100% casualties
hey, Soviets invaded Finland with few hundred thousand troops (400k to 760k depending on sources, overall 998k over the course of the war) in 1939 and later, after Stalin was dead, Khrushchev claimed as many as million Soviet casualties, meaning the sent 998k troops throughout the war and lost over a million.
>>
File: Castro and Mengistu.jpg (612KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
Castro and Mengistu.jpg
612KB, 1280x800px
>>30989374
Well the Soviets didn't take to kindly to Barre expelling all Soviet citizens at gunpoint, so they got pretty spiteful. Originally, the Soviets planned to just send advisors. But when Barre expelled 20,000 Soviet citizens and advisors, the Soviets launched the largest strategic airlift effort they'd performed since WW2. 225 transports ferried supplies from Tashkent to Addis Ababa, coming in for landings every 20 minutes. They brought with them 600 T-55s and T-62s, 300 IFVs, and over 400 artillery pieces.

Support also came from Yemen, who supplied a sizeable number of MiG-17s and MiG-21s to replace the dwindling numbers of Ethiopian aircraft, and Cuba, who sent 18,000 troops. The Soviets even gave the Ethiopians intelligence gathered from sattelites, which allowed the Ethiopians to launch a devastating airstrike on the sole Somali air base close enough to reach the battlefield.

So by early 1978, the front had ground to a halt after the Somalis had burned out their offensive, and the recent Ethiopian airstrikes had effectively removed the Somali air force from the war.
>>
>>30989281

r u 12
>>
>>30987434
>more than 100% casualties

I dunno, maybe a bunch managed to become casualties multiple times? Its not like russia is above using walking wounded as cannon fodder.
>>
File: Tienhaara.png (17KB, 327x515px) Image search: [Google]
Tienhaara.png
17KB, 327x515px
battle of Tienhaara (Finland vs Soviet Union, 22nd to 23rd of June 1944)

Finnish forces on Karelian Isthmus had been a losing battle while retreating all week when after the loss of Viipuri the 61st infantry regiment, fresh moved from Svirt front, took charge at Tienhaara and held against the Soviet 108th corps, bringing the Soviet advance there to a halt, the results of this battle contributed to the events that led to the battle of Tali-Ihantala, the largest battle in history of Northern Europe & a legendary defensive victory for the Finnish Army which allowed the exhausted army, demoralized after the retreat from the 1939 border, to regain their fighting spirit which in turn contributed to a series of defensive victories that lasted until signing of the armistice.

After the battle of Tienhaara Mannerheim himself called the regiment commander Lt Colonel Alpo Marttinen and promoted him to full colonel, Marttinen moved to USA after the war and along a number of other Finnish officers joined US Army.
>>
>>30989512
well if you read that table like 80% of casualities there are either pows or deflectors, i guess one guy can be both, but likely it's some biased historians, most of those numbers in almost any such table are a subject to question
>>
>>30989506
no, i lost a relatives to the Israelis, plus hezbollah wasn't even treating us good, talk about other wars not this one wasn't a bright thing
>>
File: somaliamigsmt_3.jpg (80KB, 640x376px) Image search: [Google]
somaliamigsmt_3.jpg
80KB, 640x376px
>>30989492
And then the fun part comes.

So the Somalis spent the winter ferrying supplies in so they could launch a final counteroffensive to secure all of Ogaden. Unfortunatley for them, the day they chose to launch that offensive fell on the exact same date the Ethiopian/Soviet/Cuban counteroffensive came.

On January 22, 1978, the Somalis concentrated the 130 or so remaining tanks they had at Harar, only for them to be stopped dead in their tracks by the heavily reinforced defenders. A couple of hours after the Somali offfensive burned out, the Ethiopians responded. At Harar, the Ethiopians launched an attack, while the Cubans swung north around the mountains out of Dire Dawa. The Ethiopians managed to cut off Somali forces in Karabara Pass, while the Somali army fell into a rout.

The Somalis fell back on Jijiga, holding the town through February. However, this gave time for the Ethiopians and Cubans to prepare another devastating assault. In early March, the Cubans used Mi-6s to ferry BMDs, ASU-57s, and infantrymen to the rear of Jijiga, allowing the allied forces to launch a coordinated armored assault on the town from both sides. The town fell within a day at the cost of 3,000 casualties and most of the remaining heavy equipment of the Somali army.

After the fall of Jijiga, Barre belatedly ordered a withdrawal from Ogaden. While the Somali army fell into a rout, the Ethiopians chased them to the border, finally mopping up the last stragglers at the end of March.

On paper, the casualties looked fairly even. Both sides lost similar numbers of men and equipment. However, the Ethiopian Air Force managed to keep the F-5s that made up its backbone intact while downing half the Somali Air Force over the course of the war. Worse, while the Ethiopians had suffered heavy losses of equipment, the Soviets were happily restocking them, while the Somalis had managed to alienate themselves. After the war, the Somali Air Force pretty much ceased to exist.
>>
>>30989616
ty anon
>>
>>30987598
Fuck of and die red.
>>
File: 1430556140879.gif (183KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1430556140879.gif
183KB, 480x270px
>>30987505
>the iran iraq war

I am so pissed that there are almost no photos of this war.

I've seen that goddamn Highway of Death "my mom would think war is what she sees on TV" picture a million fucking times, but there isn't a single image of militias of children running into a minefield or a fucking modern day gas attack anywhere.

FUCK
>>
File: Screenshot_20160815-092013-01.jpg (136KB, 1080x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160815-092013-01.jpg
136KB, 1080x768px
Too bad the UN and African Union stopped Morocco from getting back its rightful clay
>>
>>30990392
you can some video footage on the google easy
>>
>>30989545
Do you need a safe space, Lebi?
So only let me remind you:
"Lieutenant general Halutz, what do you feel when you drop a bomb?"
-"A bump on the wing"
>>
>>30988476
>Cared of poles for some reason
I don't know what the fuck you're trying to say, but yes we did give a shit about the Poles and expected the Soviets to treat them right like the rest of Eastern Europe. Obviously we should've known better than to trust the Communists.
>>30988629
>Attack tanks with cavalry charges
Oh I'm laffin, you seriously believe that?
>>30988888
>Someone disagrees with me, they must be Polish/Ukrainian/Baltic
You vatniks never fucking change, guess fetal alcohol syndrome is rampant in your country considering how fucking stupid most of you are.
>>try to invent any result
The only one inventing any shit is you.
>>30988944
We pulled support of that operation at the last minute leaving our allies to die (fucking thanks Kennedy). An international embarrassment to be sure, but we put Cuba in their place later on in the Cuban Missile Crisis and slowly constricted them into irrelevance in the present day. Within a few years, the Fidel and Raul will most likely be dead along with the crusty old fucks in the Cuban politburo, and one of the last few bastions of communism will finally fall.
>>30989018
>Why are you so keen to defend Poles
Do we need a reason? You fumble around with your shitty grammar and constantly try and attack the character of the anons you respond to while pulling shit out of your ass constantly. You are the same as every other Russian fucker on the internet, spouting lies and propaganda while trying to reclaim your former power, something that will never ever happen. You lost the Cold War, and with it your large international presence. So fucking deal with it.
>>
>>30989616
Interesting read, thanks anon.
>>
File: white pepe.jpg (122KB, 880x646px) Image search: [Google]
white pepe.jpg
122KB, 880x646px
>>30986928
>>30986992
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dNi--acWe0

>I will never fight communism in white Namibia
>The white man only ruled Africa for 200 years
>>
>>30987063
As an old finnish proverb goes: A russian is a russian even if you fry him in butter.
>>
>>30990700
couldnt have said it better myself

>itt: one vatnik got rekt harder than the russian economy
>>
>>30989018
>you prefer to believe the numbers you personally invented on the spot?
Yeah, Russian """historians""" are keen on fabricating and changing history

>why are you keen to defend poles
>lol
lol why would i not? i like their story, their persecerence and bravery during war stories is incredible especially consideriny their circumstances, truely the most based country in europe and its just icing on the cake that both of our nations view your "nation" as cancer and Polish sovereignty keeps putin up at night

>i dont read you very attentively
what a surprise, the russian doesnt know how to read, actually not that surprising considering your vodka based diet and the state of your schools
>i dont take you very seriously
clearly cared enough to keep responding
>>
File: 1446082376238.jpg (675KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1446082376238.jpg
675KB, 1920x1080px
>>30986916
I wish I could operate inna jungle :(
>>
File: Untitled.png (20KB, 314x477px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
20KB, 314x477px
>Eastern Han BTFO
>>
>>30986916
Both of mine come from WWII abouts. The Fino/Russian War and the Belgian Army at the Battle of Dunkirk
>>
File: MotherLand Strong.png (309KB, 315x1195px) Image search: [Google]
MotherLand Strong.png
309KB, 315x1195px
This battle never gets mention
>>
>>30997947
> 467,000 men
> 1,325,000 casualties

Somethings not adding up, anon
>>
>>30997982
The battle lasted three months. People got hurt more than once.
>>
>>30998331
Hahaha looks like about 3 times per person
>>
>>30998331
>>30998344
It's not that people got hurt more than once. The figure is quoted as the strength of the 39 divisions.

When dudes got killed they were replaced, the replacements then got shot too because they were Austro-Hungarian and therefore the only nation able to beat Russia in a who - can- be - more -of- a -fuck-up- in- ww1-contest
>>
>>30998456
Austria-Hungary was playing with some severe handicaps though. What was it 12 different languages in the military and none of their commanders had any actual experience with war?
>>
File: ussr_wwiii_map.jpg (42KB, 500x365px) Image search: [Google]
ussr_wwiii_map.jpg
42KB, 500x365px
>>30988294
>they didn't won, they were freed from germany also were forced into the warsav pact.

Nah, after all we achieved bittersweet victory. After all we get decent borders, we rebuild the country and get partially independence. Yeah we were in Warsaw Pact and in case of 3 World War we would be totally fucked up but at least we haven't end like some soviets states (Ukraine for example).

Such is life of flat country between east and west. Everyone wants it to drive their tank from one side to another.

Fun fact is that Poles made only ~69% of Polish population in '20 and now it is about ~99,9%.
>>
>>30986916
Rhodesia is always the best. BUt pic related is p good too
>>
>>30989616
it always tickled me that whenever some shit went down in cold-war Africa Cubans were there to fuck shit up
>>
>>30986916
From Canada, the Prince of the Devils Brigade
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Prince
>>
File: cc-1917.jpg (117KB, 900x980px) Image search: [Google]
cc-1917.jpg
117KB, 900x980px
>>30988239
>>
>>31001633
Exact opposite happened in the Baltics tho
>>
>>31001633
you forgot the part where Poles are xenophobic now (wont accept kebabs) and are building up their military because of the betrayal shit we put them through, scars heal but never go away

>Poland now is """whiter""" than Germany because of kebabs pouring into Merkels Wonderland
>Poland now has more than double the amount of tanks Germany has
the irony is incredibly satisfying
>>
>>30988968
Nobody lost 60 Mio soldiers in ww2.
If you count every dead worldwide you can get that number
Thread posts: 135
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.