[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/bpg/ Black powder general # 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (257KB, 2093x608px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
257KB, 2093x608px
Homebrew edition
Post your flintlocks, cap and ball, or percussions, this is the place to ask questions and make tripfag-esque boasts.

Pic unrelated, trigger warning; Mugabe
Who here is /bpk/? (Black powder kits)

Pic unrelated, trigger warning: Mugabe
>>
How much does a good breech-loading rifle go for?
>>
>>30985381
Anywhere from 250~ to 2000+++ depending on authenticity. I recommend building one yourself as it is somewhat cheaper and more "enlightening" and personal.
>>
File: 20141220_200127.jpg (776KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20141220_200127.jpg
776KB, 3264x1836px
BP is good fun, just really dirty. Got into casting my own lead balls. I definitely have a greater appreciation for the old technology.
>>
>>30985531
Casting is an art on its own, but be careful anon, metal buttplugs RARELY work
>>
tl;dr: the least successful general
>>
File: DSC00760.jpg (3MB, 4207x1155px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00760.jpg
3MB, 4207x1155px
I just got this (ignore the Ruby, it's just there because). Any tips on making the ignition more reliable? I tried knapping the flint. It only sets the powder in the pan off about half the time.
>>
>>30986835
If there aren't sparks depending on the model, you an adjust sometimes how much of the flint strikes the striker, and that is usually what dictates ignition. If there are sparks it is your powder.
>>
>>30987010
My frizzen striking surface is smooth as balls, could this be part of the problem?
>>
>>30987572
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-741184.html
This should clear that issue up,
but you might want to make some posts on black powder specific forums if problems continue, those guys can help you fix the gun specifically.
>>
>>30987752
Thanks.
>>
>>30987833
Sorry I couldn't help more, I'm only the /bpg/ janitor basically.
>>
>>30988488
That's alright, I'm gonna go to a gun shop and get some flints and a powder measure tomorrow. They specialize in black powder so they ought to carry that
>>
>>30988512
That guns a beaut, by the way. We could use more regulars around here too
>>
>>30988520
I also have a '51 Navy by Pietta in .36. It's a shame this general doesn't get a whole lot of attention. I love ARs and AKs as much as the next person but black powder is just as cool
>>
>>30988707
There's nothing quite as badass as a foot long .50 cal handgun!
>>
i cant find a decent flintlock pistol who makes them nowadays>? i dont want a percussion and i dont want that ugly 90 degree kentucky pistol grip. i just want an aesthetic as fuck british redcoat style pistol
>>
File: n600768__7.jpg (110KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
n600768__7.jpg
110KB, 1200x1200px
I'm going to buy an untouched long gun off IMA, but I'm unsure which to get first (I plan on getting all three eventually)
>P-53 Enfield
>P-64 Snider-Enfield
>MkIV Pattern B Martini Henry
I'm also going to pick up a one of the cheaper "parts" P-53's regardless of which decision I make. Just to experiment on with cleaning techniques and to use for parts once I eventually get one of the more expensive ones in better shape. Plus, if its in good enough condition, I might end up with TWO enfields!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-8DaM6BtrA

note that I dont have any non nig-riged reloading equipment yet, so If I got a Martini it would be awhile before I get to shoot it. But I'm always paranoid about stock levels and I dont want to miss out.
This will also be my first BP gun.
>>
>>30990995
Check dixiegunworks, they have a wide selection. Also check your lgs
>>
>>30991924
if you want to put in the time to maintain your Martini and measure powder, it is worth it. An enfield is less work in general, but bp is unique.
>>
>>30992001
I've always wanted to get a P-53, even as a kid if you asked me to name a gun I wanted that would probably be it, watching a lot of the history channel and living in the south does that. And since its marginally cheaper to get one of these as compaired to a repro, and vastly cheaper than a time-period original, I will definately be buying one soon.

Martini's and Sniders just look like a lot of fun to reload for. I'll probably end up filling ammo cans full of modified shotgun shells for the snider, and paper cartridges for the p-53 while I'm watching forgotten weapons or inrange or something. I like "hands-on" and project guns.
>>
File: 1858 and savanelli.jpg (2MB, 4190x2384px) Image search: [Google]
1858 and savanelli.jpg
2MB, 4190x2384px
>>30990995
http://middlesexvillagetrading.com/
http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/guns-for-sale-pedersoli.asp?l=en
>>
>>30992046
I prefer projects too, which is why I build my own guns most of the time. Best of luck anon, when you buy make sure to post it on /bpg/!
>>
If you were to replace the smokeless powder in a round with black powder, how bad would the performance drop?
>>
>>30992963
>>30992963
Depends on ignition, quantity, compression, powder grain, etc. If it hasn't been done often before, there is always a good reason.
>>
File: ss1756rt.jpg (13KB, 471x201px) Image search: [Google]
ss1756rt.jpg
13KB, 471x201px
>>30992073
>http://middlesexvillagetrading.com/
holy shit

http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/NEWess1756.shtml

thats exactly what i have wanted my whole life. thank you!!!! holllly shit. yes!!! are these guys pretty legit? this is a quality gun right, it can handle real lead ball?

awesome pic btw
>>
>>30992963
In high velocity small bore rifle rounds performance would be dismal. However certain rounds can actually preform more or less the same. .45 ACP is an example.
>>
>>30985336
Bought myself a Remington revolver, but before I was able to shoot it I had to undergo root canal therapy. It wouldn't be that bad, but it turned out that unlike most humans I have 5 root canals, make it cost almost double, so I had to sell it.
>>
>>30994622
ah shit! get it again when you come back into some money, they are fun to shoot. very low recoil and soft shooting
>>
BAMP
>>
>>30994289
>>30992963
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfzQ4uKvE7c
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.