[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people use PCCs as short range defensive weapons when

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: 1471118508265.jpg (439KB, 1785x1320px) Image search: [Google]
1471118508265.jpg
439KB, 1785x1320px
Why do people use PCCs as short range defensive weapons when semi auto shotguns exist?
>>
>>30985110
>Why do people use PCCs as short range defensive weapons when semi auto shotguns exist?

Recoil. Capacity.
>>
>>30985168
I suppose that makes sense for larger engagements but I'll take 12 round mags of buckshot over 30 round mags of 9mm for home defense. If 24 or 36 volleys of buckshot can't kill all the invaders I've got a serious fucking problem.
>>
>>30985110

Some of us live with other people. Also, you can't silence a shotgun well.
>>
>>30985110
What the fuck is he pulling with his right hand?
It's a fucking shotgun what the nigger is he doing?
>>
>>30985466
Its a thumb over bore grip.
>>
>Shotguns are generally longer, meaning a smaller reactionary gap
>Shotguns have lower capacity and are slower to load
>More recoil means slower follow up shots if you miss or the first shot doesn't hit
>Generally easier to mount a light on a PCC, but some modern shotguns nullify this a bit
>It's easier to train a noguns with a PCC than a shotgun
>It's easier to store a PCC because you can just put in a mag when you need it rather than keeping it loaded

Here in Australia PCCs are pretty common because we can put stocks on semi auto handguns, but we can't own semi auto rifles or shotguns.
>>
>>30985534
>thumb-over-port grip
FTFY
>>
>>30985569
>Or if the first shot doesn't hit
I meant to say
>If the first shot doesn't kill
>>
>>30985579
>remove hand grip
>>
>>30985569
>what are box fed shotguns
Recoil is your only valid point.
>>
Are we talking regular rifle length or SBRs?

>>30985793
length is still an consideration. For example:
Sub 2000, 29.5" OAL
Vepr 12, 38.5 OAL
>>
>>30985110
You can put quite a few rounds into somebodies chest quickly, and any quality self defense ammo is doing a good amount of damage.
Also less muzzle flash etc.
>>
>>30985110

mah stopping powah
>>
>>30985110
so many nogunz ITT

there are a few issues
the first is that a shotgun causes a lot of random damage, which is inconvenient; but more seriously it can mean you can't shoot at all without risking collateral

then there is the low ammo capacity, six-eight shots and you are out
and reloading is time consuming and easy to fumble under pressure

then there is ammo ergonomics, pick up a mag and I have 30 rounds
how many shotgun shells can I grab at once?

then there is the issue of penetration, at close range a shotgun will blow through an unarmored target, potentially hitting something behind them
conversely shot can fail to penetrate body armor, or objects

then there is target saturation, sure a shotgun shell is a lot of lead, but how much lead can be unloaded into an area?
if you were say, shooting through a wall (not generally recommended)

then there is the effect on soft targets, it's not a video game; if you shoot someone six times in the foot they don't die
the real world effect of a bullet wound is hard to predict, hits to arms, legs, even the chest/head can produce mixed results.
many kinds of bullet wound are fatal, but few will stop someone returning fire. When you realize this the importance of accuracy, and the value of having many fast follow up shots becomes apparent

there are other issues too, like barrel length, overall weight, control-ability, muzzle flash
>>
>>30987746
This. All of it. Shotguns are great and I love them to death, but they simply have too many drawbacks to serve as a home defense option for some people. Hell, even most rifles in intermediate calibers have the same problems with over-penetration and barrel length.
>>
>>30985207
But you can say the exact same thing about a PCC while having faster and more accurate shots, often with a smaller and lighter gun that isn't manually operated and substantially quieter.

I love shotgun, I grew up on shotguns and they remain the poorfag special of HD.That doesn't stop me from seeing the benefits of volume of fire, superior control and faster reloads. Sure most sd situations are brief and don't require a firefight, so what's the point of even having this discussion?
>>
>>30985110
>low capacity
>higher recoil
>arguably worse reliability depending on the model
>less precision at range
>longer OAL because of legal barrel limits

The better question is why do people use PCCs when short barreled ARs and AR "pistols" exist.
>>
>>30985569
Wait you can get handguns in Aus? I thought it was damn near impossible the way semi rifles are.
>>
>>30988537
I try to dispel the "shotguns is a close quarter weapon" myth where I can

personally I think they are much better suited to medium range, defensive positions where the spread increases the chance of a hit compared to a rifle, stopping power is less important because you can wound+wait, you have time to reload and take cover between shots

>>30985569
...unless you have an adler 12g
you make good points

>>30985793
semi auto shotguns are marginally more unreliable on the whole when compared to modern rifles

however mag fed/box fed shotguns are awful, they fail to cycle often, fail to eject sometimes, fail to feed often

this is a very serious issue for home defence where you may only get time for one or to shots

I think the issue is largely to do with the shotguns shells themselves, brass bullets are hard and uniform, but shotgun shells are soft and can deform

which neatly is why the shotgun in OP's pic exists, the revolver cylinder is super reliable

for the record I think ausbro is right on

>>30988685
it's still very hard, the system is designed to discourage people
it varies by state but a centerfire semi is two categories higher than a bolt action

however ALL pistols are a special category only for target shooting (.22's and blank firing pistols included)

which makes it considerably easier to get a semi auto handgun than a rifle
>>
>>30985579
It's clearly the joke. He's making fun of TOB fags
>>
>>30985569
As far as recoil is concerned semi-auto shotguns actually have generally less recoil than manual action shotguns due to the design being recoil operated and thus lightening the kick.

Unless you have some out there design like the street sweeper you should be good.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.