[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

cleaning my new old gun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

I got my first gun recently, and have cleansed the massive amount of cosmoline from it, and now I am trying to clean the bore. I have run twenty patches through, as well as two bore mops and they are all black as soot. Am I doing something wrong? Is this normal? I want to keep her happy and willing to work, so any tips from people who know more than I do would be great.
>>
I never got a clean patch through my mosins until I bore brushed the fuck out of it.

After I bore brushed the fuck out of it there was no hiding from how bad the pitting was :/
>>
>>30979808
Well that isn't inspiring. But thanks for the horrible thoughts in my mind.
>>
>>30979815
Yes, Russian conscripts didn't take very good care of equipment. How many times have you heard "you can clean an AK with a shoelace"?
>>
>>30979835
My tears are proof of many times. Just while I have you here, whats the factual info on hops 9 eating gun barrels. Yay or nay?
>>
at least your wood looks great
I have the opposite with a mirror clean bore and the most beat up wood you can think of that's still in one piece.
>>
>>30979849
Thanks! Pic related are the only real blemishes. More wood dings like that on the other side. All in all though I think I got lucky.
>>
I have been cleaning this thing like a rabbit fucking another rabbit. Constantly. Pic is best I can get of bore with phone camera. It is basically like that all the way through far as I can tell.
>>
Is it odd to feel like a new parent after buying a gun? I just want to make sure everything is perfect and I keep finding tiny patches of cosmoline and it drives me insane!
>>
>>30979845
Never heard of that, possibly delicious new fuddlore. I used hoppes on all of my old mil sure and haven't seen anything like that. Old primers will eat your rifle if you don't clean the salts out. Ppl will tell you to use windex or urine, but hot water or modern gun cleaners will do just as well
>>
>>30979902
Woof. Mine looks worse actually, as in the barrel is rusted out. But I don't know what to do with it. Sell it for parts? Sacrifice it to the gods and throw it in a bog?
>>
>>30979765
I use bore tech eliminator and clean these piles of trash in like 30-45 minutes of mainly waiting , also hoppes is toxic and has ammonia which doesn't like steel especially if it's not all removed
>>
>>30979999
I knew about the old primers. When i was younger my father got a mosin, promised to give it to me for my birthday so I could hunt with it that fall, and after he shot of little paper bag of bullets through it he stuck it in the closet and when he cleaned it 8 months later little metal shavings poured out. Also as to the hops, >>30980022
There is another person saying the same.
>>
>>30980047
Don't listen to anyone without researching. Ammonia corrodes steel and its no secret.
>>
>>30980054
I know, I had just been previously informed by the bottles it came in, the guu running the firearm section of gander mountain, and a bunch of old guys that hoppes, and hoppes bore doctor with lubricating oil or whatever wouldn't hurt my gun. Now I am more than a tad worried and wondering what sort of oils and such I will need to replace the hoppes cleaner and lubricator I have been using to store the rifle inbetween having time to clean it further.
>>
>>30980099
I'll tell you what I use, I've spent hundreds of dollars and years finding what worked best and while nontoxic.
For cleaner I use bore tech carbon remover and copper killer or you can use eliminator which is like a mix of both of those, as far as oiling I use slip2k ewl because it's also nontoxic, for long term storage I use corrosionx and make sure I spray it outside and then not touch the liquid. This way has kept my guns free of rust for years as well as keeping them cleaner than they came new. If you get the bore tech stuff make sure to buy their jags so you don't get false positives with certain brass jags.
>>
>>30980054
>ammonia in windex neutralizes primer salts
>pee in barrel
>ammonia in hoppes will eat through a Mauser
This fucking board
>>
>>30980022
>toxic
So dont drink it?
>>
>>30980099
Hoppes won't hurt your guns. These fags are talking about the corrosive salts / buildup from corrosive AMMO. Hoppes and oil won't EVER hurt your gun. EVER. EVER. HOPPES WILL NOT HURT YOUR GUN.

What will hurt your gun is if you don't clean it thoroughly after shooting corrosive ammo. You can't shoot corrosive ammo and just apply a little hoppes / oil and expect your gun not to die like with other guns shooting non-corrosive, you need to clean the absolute fuck out of that bitch and remove all the salts and powder.
>>
>>30980122
>what is chemistry
Water neutralizes those salts lad not the ammonia.
>>30980131
What is human skin?
>>
I am learning so many new things. I think I will choose to spend more so I don't shoot corrosive ammo, clean with hoppes, and then after I scrub it good, lubricate with some other oil type stuff.

Oh, and once again, pitch black shit still on patches after lots of cleaning, Am I doing the gun equivilent of scrubbing the seasoning out of a cast iron skillet? If so, please stop me.
>>
>>30980138
I bet you wear latex gloves when working on your car too, fag
Do you also wear sunscreen wussy?
>>
>>30980153
If I come in contact with fluids I do, enjoy your cancer at 40.
>>
>>30980152
http://www.nationalboard.org/Index.aspx?pageID=182
it's not fuddlore
>>
>>30980166
Isn't that more or less pure amonia though? Wouldn't the little used in gun cleaners mixed with all the other shit and not left sloshing around inside for ages be more or less fine?
>>
>>30980158
>Rifle goes through two world wars
>mellinial owner is afraid to clean it because "muh chemicals"
I hope my grandfathers ghost haunts the shit out of you
>>
>>30980180
it doesnt matter that there is small amount, given enough time it will do damage to steel, the key is to clean all of it out but that can be very difficult with certain guns, especially ones you can't use a degreaser on
>>
>>30980189
>given enough time it will do damage to steel
Given enough time, WATER will damage the steel. Fucking clean it with what ever cleaner your using, then oil it. It's not rocket science you fucking aspies.
>>
>>30980180
I just checked my 112 year old swede, 98 year old Winfield, and 99 year old Mauser. All cleaned with hoppes. No damage. It's like saying "lye can burn your skin, so I do t bathe with soap"
>>
>>30980189
This. Some guns like AKs are incredibly hard to get into and with some painted finishes using a degreaser or brake cleaner will ruin the finish.
>>30980188
Open up a dictionary next time you try to argue with someone. They will take you more seriously if you can spell proper. If you can refute the science then don't try.
>>30980201
So will air and light and just about anything else, that doesn't mean you intentionally have to be a dumbass about it. Besides ammonia is shit for cleaning guns, especially compared to new millennial products :).
>>30980212
I have 100 year old rifles too, but that doesn't mean ammonia isn't bad for steel m80.
>>
>>30980220
Corrects my spelling and then misspelled "can't"
Guess I can throw your argument out the window then!
>>
>>30980226
Missing an apostrophe isn't bad spelling rather bad grammar. Care to continue proving your an idiot?
>>
>>30980234
>your an idiot
>your
>>
>>30980226
>misspell cant
where?
>>
>>30979765
>hexa mosins
aren't those supposed to not be used at all because how much fucking round it shot ?

also OP, you just don't clean a barrel with patches and bore snake oh and one more thing

never ever put oil in a barrel
NEVER
>>
Me: sticking a screwdrivr in your dick isn't a good idea
You: sticking a screwdriver in you dick is a good idea. You can't spell!
Me: you misspelled can't
you: it's actually grammar, not spelling, so I win :^) also, hoppes will destroy your gun that's managed to survive 112 years, 3 wars and corrosive ammo if you soak it in straight ammonia. Better buy snowflake solvents and cleaners for that 200$ mosin

Fuck this board got autistic these last 6 months.
>>
>>30979765

>hex receiver

you did good, OP.

What solvent do you use?
>>
>>30980245
>. If you can refute the science then don't try
>>
>>30980131

>you have to drink a chemical in order to be poisoned by it

... Are you merely pretending?
>>
>>30980254
>he can't find the misspelling
>he doesn't understand the difference between grammar and spelling
>arguing about grammar online
>thinks someone else is autistic
go back to elementary school.
>>
>>30980254
>Fuck this board got autistic these last 6 months.

Is that how long you've been here? Because it's always been this autistic since.
>>
>>30980243
funnily enough that mistake is still a grammar and not a spelling mistake.
>>
>>30980257
Thanks, I was excited to get it. I am new at gun cleaning so I got hoppes 9 and hoppes 9 gun medic : cleaner and lube.
I am hoping those are decent, and if the cleaner and lube is a bad choice, what should I get to keep it safe while being stored all year until target shooting and then hunting?
Also, pic related is what is stamped on my gun, I know it is 1927 and is a hex, if anybody can fill me in on what the rest means I would love that.
>>
>>30980267
I've thought about it and you're right. I will never clean a rifle with hoppes. Also, shooting it will damage it and stress the metal. And air/humidity will cause rust.
From now on whenever I buy a firearm I will immediately put them into Mylar bags, add dessicants, and place in a climate controlled storage room underground.
Because if wiping a bolt clean with a proven solvent before you oil it is a no go, surly shooting it would cause the damn thing to explode.
>>
>>30980278
About a year and a half, honestly.
>>
>>30980234
>My grammar sucks
>lets mock this guys spelling and completely miss the point of the conversation.
>>
>>30980249
Well my hex missed the first world war, and was made of better stuff than the mid war guns when they were cobbling them together. I have hope that she will do just fine.
>>
>>30980290
It's a Dragoon made at Tula.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRef02.htm
>>
>>30980394
You are an extremely helpful kind of person. Thank you plenty.

If there is anything else I need to know as a newby to maintinance, let me know. Other than that, I guess, show off your favorite guns or new purchases?
>>
>>30979765
my 1934 mosin has some pitting, and first time cleaning it was a bitch, every patch came out black for the first 30 minutes of cleaning the bore. i used hoppes black powder cleaner and lube and it worked well, but not as nice as hoppes pure solvent.

i have red army standard lead core ammo, runs pretty dirty, and therefore the bore cleaning takes a while. i use copper wire brush to get the gunky shit out of the barrel, then run a bore snake through a few times, then alternate between the copper brush and hoppes soaked rags until they come out clean, aka not black. i can never get the rags to come out brown as hoppes is, its always a little gray
>>
>>30980290
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks01.htm

cant find the other website i found earlier that goes really in depth to the markings and what they mean.
>>
>>30979765
Run a patch with hoppes through, run a brass brush through, and run a remington squeeg-e through to finish it off. Just keep repeating that process.
>>
>>30979873
You chose well for your first.
Hex receiver Nagant.
>>
/k/ you have been extemely helpful, if you were here I would offer you some venison and egg burritos that I made for breakfast.
>>
>>30980291
>surly shooting it
????????????????????????
i'm a different guy btw
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.