[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cleaning a pistol stored in oil

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: tmp_14520-images(5)-1337862954.jpg (6KB, 278x181px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_14520-images(5)-1337862954.jpg
6KB, 278x181px
My sister in law buried a chrome plated pistol in a metal tin filled with oil a long time ago and is considering retrieving it.

My question is what would you use to clean a gun that has been soaked in motor oil for years to remove the oily residue?
>>
oil burns so you can simply burn it away
>>
>>30977150
Hoppes/brake free. Question is, why?
>>
>>30977178
What are you asking why to?
>>
>>30977150
4# steel wool
>>
The gun has surely dissolved by now. just throw the tin away into the ocean
>>
>>30977150
How about disassembling it and wiping it down with an old sock or something? It's not like the oil soaked into the metal or something.
>>
>>30977246
This, duh
>>
Disassemble and soak in mineral spirits for about 15 minutes. If the shit is baked on for some reason ( dunno why it would be) then hit it with brake or carb cleaner.

Reassemble using some proper gun lube. All of this assumes that it was put up clean and free of rust.
>>
>>30977150
Rinse it with kerosene, let dry on a towel overnight, then Dawn dish soap and hot water. Really hot water. Rinse thoroughly with more hot water. Use a blow drier to get all of the water off, do this while it's still hot.

Afterward, apply the lube and preservative of your choice.
>>
>>30977150
did you even dig it up yet?
>>
>>30977311
No, she needs permission from the owners of the farm she used to live on.
>>
>>30977407
if its in a tin box it is very likely the box has rusted through. retrieve the pistol and then post your thread.
>>
If it's hard chrome or electroless nickel then any normal solvent should work. If it's old style nickel plated with a copper base then many solvents will dissolve the copper underneath (if there are any dinged/exposed parts) and peel off the plating
>>
>>30977150
Is that even a legitimate method of preservation?
>>
Please explain your sister's motivation OP. What drives a woman to bury a gun and to do it in such a peculiar manner?
>>
That's actually a great idea, I'll have to remember that for shtf

Take it out and put it in a plastic tupperware full of diesel or kerosene or fuck even simple green
>>
>>30979516
she wanted to protect the gun from rust. seems simple enough.
>>
>>30977178

>break free

clean oil with oil, real smart.
>>
>>30979516
it's not the worst idea ever. In lieu of cosmoline or elaborate waterproofing methods, simply leaving it in oil will keep out moisture out and prevent it from rusting. It could hypothetically last a very long time depending on how well it was sealed and the type of oil used
>>
if the oil isn't gummed up, just wipe it off.
if it is gummed up, soak it in gasoline.
>>
>>30979530
Oil can dissolve oil.
Chemistry, nigga, do you understand?
You don't go and use water to clean oil. Water is a polar molecule and can dissolve things that are also polar. Oil is non-polar, and as a result, can only mix with other non-polar molecules.
>>
File: 1471203057240601211164.jpg (2MB, 2160x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1471203057240601211164.jpg
2MB, 2160x2160px
Have a story similar to this on my hi power. Whether it's bs or not, I don't know. Mississippi flooded northern KY in the 90s. Knew it was coming. Put it in a bucket of oil. Turns out his house didn't get flooded. Left it for unknown period of time. Pulled it out and it's rusted to fuck. Not pitted but surface rust. I'm thinking maybe the moisture existing on the gun was trapped and rusted? Or should it have mixed with the oil? Pic related. It's Nazi marked
>>
>>30979503
I doubt that oxygen levels in oil are going to be particularly high, which is what causes metal to rust to begin with. Oil used to lube guns also serve to prevent water from touching the metal and oxidizing it as well.

So I could see it as a way to preserve a gun
>>
For long term gun storage, grease or oil? Is it a good idea to seal it in one of those food sealer bags too?
>>
>>30977311
>>30977407
>>30978157
You should definitely make a thread and post pics when and if you get the pistol back.
>>
File: 1460946202311.png (2MB, 1177x783px) Image search: [Google]
1460946202311.png
2MB, 1177x783px
What about dry storage with a fuckton of those silica packets? Will that be enough to preserve the gun for a long time?
>>30981422
>>
>>30981475
cosmoline and wax paper. stop trying to reinvent the wheel.
>>
>>30981422
Motor oil is shit at preventing corrosion.
ATF is a little bit better.

tqbh if you want to drown your gun in something for storage, do it right and drown it in cosmoline.
>>
>>30981542
If you can get moisture out you'll be fine, but doing that is hard I've been thinking about making a product similar to those vacuum bags for stuff like this. Won't spill all the details though.
>>
Would degreaser not be the best option? It seems to work fine when I need to clean oily engine parts.
>>
Literally just wipe it off
>>
>>30981371
Or use an emulsifier to make the oil water soluble.
>>
>>30982155
the entire gun would then have to be oiled again to prevent rust

>>30982119
>ATF is a little bit better.
>using a thin shitty detergent filled oil to prevent corrosion

GREAT IDEA
>>
>>30981514
This, so much this
>>
>>30982119
>Motor oil is shit at preventing corrosion.
>ATF is a little bit better.
Yeah, if you don't like you dog.
>>
>>30982132
Let me guess, aluminum coated plastic.
>>
>>30977281
this
>>
>>30983964
Nah man it's jet fuel cause that can't melt steel.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.