[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Enfield SMLE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 14

File: mkiii.gif (55KB, 720x266px) Image search: [Google]
mkiii.gif
55KB, 720x266px
Anyone ever had any experience with the Enfield series? Getting my gun license soon and I'd like to own one. What are the ups and downs/best variant of the SMLE?
>>
>gun license
can you own a rifle with a magazine that big? Even if it's internal?
>>
>>30974790
Yes.
>>
>>30974733
>Anyone ever had any experience with the Enfield series
Yes, surely at least one person on this overpopulated planet of 7+ billion people has handled and shot one of the most abundant surplus rifles on the market

>What are the ups and downs
Learn to google

>best variant of the SMLE
Again, a trite question whose answer can be found through a simple google search.
>>
>>30974733
Really isnt any down sides with an SMLE, the only thing I dont like is that 303 is rimmed and Rim lock can be a bitch some time. Lee-Enfields are great rifles and are super fun
>>
>>30974733
Get a Lithgow Enfield
>>
>>30974845
can you be trusted with real weaponry, using a bullet that real?
>>
>>30974852
Go fuck yourself faggot,
How dare OP ask a firearms related question on a firearms board
>>
>>30974733
>ups
There are none

>downs
They're associated with autistic virgins who will only ever date moldy, shitty refuse surplus made by the lowest bidder for the military as well as one of the top 3 most cucked loser countries in the world.

Get a real gun, preferably from a country that actually won WW2, faggot.
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 278x200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 278x200px
>>30974885
> the allies didn't win
Retard
>>
>>30974899
Where's britain's colonies today, and its relevancy now vs in 1939?

Oh wait, that's right: it's all gone.
>>
>>30974899
>Bongs did anything useful in the war other than host Americans
lol
>>
>>30974932
>>30974927

>moving goal posts to cover your retardation

Also the war was all but over when the Ameritards moved in, "claimed" victory and went home with minimal losses and zero damage to the infrastructure of their nation

Cowardly tbqh
>>
>>30974884
Your post shouldn't be necessary but for fucks sake I am tired of these little shits telling everyone to google. And holy shit look at this pretentious fucker, look at how much he typed just to tell OP to google it.

Fucking try hard Melvin fuck.
>>
>>30974986
Reminder that the only people who have problems with necessary quality control are those who are incapable of meeting necessary minimum standards.
>>
i own a '56 ishapore smle no1mk3 with a refinished stock. it's the tits.
>>
File: 481540468.jpg (141KB, 377x456px) Image search: [Google]
481540468.jpg
141KB, 377x456px
>>30974977
>things Bongs actually believe
>>
>>30974977
The US didn't have a war on their soil, it isn't really their fault that they share a land mass with a poor Mexico and a friendly Canada instead of Germany. Perhaps they should have got troops on the ground earlier but from what little I understand their government was split and wouldn't commit all the way to war, but would agree to the lend-lease instead.
>>
>>30974977
>war was all but over when America joined
>Germans are still deep in Russian territory
>Germans are still in Africa
>Germans still control all of Europe

Sure thing bud.
>>
>>30975080
>implying a significant portion of the US population didn't think we should let yurop burn, only to go bloodthirsty when the nips attacked
>>
File: 176129089_0fcdc542de_b.jpg (166KB, 767x1024px) Image search: [Google]
176129089_0fcdc542de_b.jpg
166KB, 767x1024px
>>30974977
>>30975101
>>
>>30975022
You're also assuming he hasn't already done some research. His is a weapons board, intended for the discussion of weapons. Asking questions about a weapon is well within the confines. This isn't a matter of "quality control" you sloppy cunt, this is a fuckhead being a fuckhead in a thread where his fuckheadedness is both unhelpful and and annoying.
>>
>>30975080
>it isn't really their fault that they share a land mass with a poor Mexico and a friendly Canada instead of Germany.

That is actually a pretty interesting alt history what if right there.

How would WW2 even turn out if Nazi Germany somehow shared a border with the US?
>>
>>30974864
You. I like you.
>>
>>30974932
Bongs literally kept the war going, if britland had surrendered Hitler could have turned his full resources and attention to slavland and the Americans wouldn't have given a fuck. I'll leave it to others better qualified to wonder about the impact on the atom bomb development after British surrender, the differences in how Barbarossa might have gone, and how much the US would have done against Japan with a united Nazi Europe potentially supporting their eastern ally.
>>
>>30974733
Check the bore before you buy most enfields have been shot to shit, so make sure there is rifling in there,
>>
>>30975022

Goddamn that is the cringiest try-hard workplace alpha thing I've read in a long time.
>>
>>30974733
You need a license to own a gun? What kind of commie-ass shithole do you live in, /k/omrade?
>>
>>30974885
>>30974927
>implying any of this has anything to do with how good or bad of a gun it is
>making it nakedly obvious you're only into this shit to associate yourself with what you perceive as tokens of power

Fuck all the way off.
>>
>>30975080
The US population was vehemently against joining the war, as you say it was considered a European war. Americans in general were very isolationist, especially after ww1. Roosevelt (was it Roosevelt? Then Truman later right? I get mixed up sometimes) anyways the president at the beginning of the war was very much in favour of joining but had to work hard to convert his government and then citizens. Lend lease was the best he could do.
Incidentally, Churchill in his "fight on the beaches" speech after taking power specifically mentions that if Britain was subjugated, that the overseas empire would continue the fight, and that the "New World" (the US) would come to the defense of the old. This was a direct appeal to America, and in particular its natural resources and industrial might, which he was in awe of. Hence lend lease to take advantage of that industrial power.
>>
>>30975503
I had forgotten that fact. Yeah, the country had been weak forever and was finally getting strong, but was really still afraid of getting into fights. Hell, WW1 only had americans in it because the president at the time made some bluff that he would go to war if Germany sank any more of their ships and then they did anyway and he felt that he had to.
>>
>>30975466
I live in Australia. I believe the gun licensing requirement is a good thing - but the additional crap they pile on top of it is ridiculous.
>>
>>30974852
Your a fag
I've got two and have enjoyed them but the sight leaves something to be desired OP
>>
>>30974977
>All but over
Germany controlled all of Europe exept GB, most of North Africa and the Middle East, most of west Russia
Japan owns all pacific west of Hawaii exept Austrailia

Way to downplay the worlds largest army, economy, and manufacturing center.
>>
>>30975254

Probably not very well for the Germans
>>
>>30976274
And that's not even accounting for Canada invariably sending down its own troops to aid US forces. We may be the big sweetheart watering a garden nowadays, but time was the Germans were fucking TERRIFIED of us, because we quite flatly did not give a single, solitary fuck.
>>
>>30976377

You talking about Canada?
>>
File: image.jpg (31KB, 305x283px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31KB, 305x283px
>>30974852
Did the RO yell at you again for shooting bi metal you autist?
>>
File: enfields_5-26_I.jpg (808KB, 1024x739px) Image search: [Google]
enfields_5-26_I.jpg
808KB, 1024x739px
>>30974733
>best variant of the SMLE?
The Rifle Number 4 is the best variant of the Enfield. No.4 has nice micrometer aperture sight for distance shooting, and a large quick-to-align "ghost ring" for a short-range battle sight. It also has a heavier barrel profile that doesn't whip as much as the earlier SMLE or heat up as quickly, making it a little more accurate.

On the other hand, SMLE/No.1 rifle has The Marne(s), The Somme(s), Ypres(s), Gallipoli, Lawrence of Arabia, the Hundred Days, a dozen British colonial conflicts, Dunkirk, North Africa, Kokoda, and Burma.
>>
Sup OP

No.4 Mk I owner here, heads up if your fixed on buying one follow this guide, make sure the barrel and the breach isn't worn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsNCqqWgZZA

They are big rifles, so if your of smaller stature consider going for a jungle carbine or even and M44 Mosin.

Other than that, smoothest bolt in the world...
>>
>>30976794
this
no1 for pedigree
no4 for functionality
>>
>>30976377
Canadians soldiers did some pretty hard ass shit. I always ship US + Canada.
>>
>>30976794
I am enfield noob, which is which in the picture?
>>
>>30977068
No1. Mk.4 is the top one with the longer stock and nose cap, it was the one used in
WWI and in a reserve/ second line capacity after
No.4 Mk1 is the bottom one with a bit of barrel sticking out, it was the main rifle of the UK in WWII
>>
>>30974858
can't you avoid rimlock by making sure the rim of each round on top of a cartridge is forward of the rear rim so the top rim doesn't get behind a round under it?
I can see how it'd be an issue with stripper clips but from what I've heard of every other magazine fed semi rim or just rimmed cartridge loading it right avoids that problem.
>>
>>30977068
Upper rifle is No.1mk.III*, lower rifle is No.4mk1. Prior to 1926 the No.1 rifle was officially known as "Rifle, Short, Magazine Lee-Enfield Mk.III*. In '26 the Brits changed their nomenclature.
>>
>>30974986
They tend to come out on the weekend it seems. They like to patrol /k/ to tell people to google stuff because they ran out of coloring books to fill in at work and want to look at pretty pictures when they get online on their days off
>>
>>30977119
Virtually impossible to rim lock an enfield
>>
>>30975113
>Implying this is a bad thing

We should've. Woodrow Wilson's intervention was a mistake, if it wasn't for the Nips we woulda stayed out of it and eventually established friendly relations and trade with the Reich, while Britons starved to death
>>
>>30975254
They would take a good chunk of the country -in 1938-40' era, but every city would basically be Warsaw Uprising, non stop.
>>
>>30975503
What exactly was the overseas empire going to do? Hitler wanted to install a fascist government in Britain, his territorial quest was limited to Europe and slav land - the only british colonies that would encounter Germans in any number are oil rich Africa and the middle east, the rest of greater britannia and the commonwealth wouldn't even be worth engaging
>>
>>30976377
Germans seemed to have a thing for executing Canadian POW's, so whatever ya'll did to piss them off, it worked
>>
>>30977535
Canadians had a strong war crime game in WWI
like bayonetting hospital patients en masse strong
>>
If you want something nice and brand new looking, get a No.4 Mk.2

many of them were never issued, have great looking blonde wood on them, and none of the war-time corner cutting as they were made in the 50's mostly.
if you want something historical, then it would depend upon if you like ww1 or ww2 more.
>t. no.4 mk.2 owner
>>
>>30976794
Some (I don't see many) No4's had the 2 position flip rear - the micrometer is far better for shootan
>>
>>30977521
*North Africa.
>>
>>30977546
>like bayonetting hospital patients en masse strong

Link?
Sounds like a good laugh
>>
>>30976274
How many tanks did the US have around 1939?

Also, the US got BTFO in their first engagements in WW2, despite having superior gear, necessitating rapid restructuring of their military command system.
Costly at the time, but probably even worse during the defense of their homeland.

I don't know if the Germans would have an overall chance of winning, but early on they'd be taking states just as fast as they were taking European nations.
>>
>>30977549
It's too bad L42A1's were only released in a trickle surplus to the states. From what I hear they are still in armories/storage.
>>
>>30977631
Not nearly enough.
The first US medium tank started production in 1939.
Besides that it's WW1 shit in storage and M1 Tankettes (less than 200 made) and M2 Light tanks - of which the 37mm gun version just STARTED production in 1939, all previous M2 Variants had .50/.30 MG's
Production of the M2 totalled only 700 tanks, all variants.

Germany had thousands of Panzer 1's and Panzer 2 tanks by then, and a few hundred Panzer 3 medium tanks in 1939.

Then again, we had Christie and tons of fucking prototype designs - we would have had a quickly manufacturable design in similar vein to the Soviet BT series (based heavily off of a Christie design with a christie suspension) starting major series production before the Germans could secure their first state.
We would have rolled
>>
File: 20160728_164303.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160728_164303.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>30977549
pic
>>
>>30976885
No. 1 Mk 3 owner checking in. This sums it up nicely.
>>
>>30974733
>>30974845
You a kiwi?
>>
>>30977186
>anyone that calls me a dumbass is part of a huge conspiracy against me

Yes, because you, a person of no distinction, has ideas that really are that important.
Autism, everyone.
>>
>>30978383
How did this shitpost make any sense to you when you came up with it?
I gave no ideas or claims about ideas, I was inferring asking questions isn't a wrong thing to do. It's rather ironic you'd accuse me of arrogance for it when it takes a certain amount of humility to ask a question in the first place when you want to learn.
I'll give you this though
>Autism, everyone.
Perfect way to rest your case, because you have it.
>>
File: Battle Claymore.jpg (260KB, 857x1143px) Image search: [Google]
Battle Claymore.jpg
260KB, 857x1143px
>>30974733
>Anyone ever had any experience with the Enfield series
Yes

>Getting my gun license soon and I'd like to own one
nice, what country? fellow Ausfag?

>What are the ups
Well the up side is they're fucking awesome, the most interesting and unique bit about them is they have a lightning fast bolt with a short bolt lift which cocks on close rather than on open and is positioned right next to the trigger, this means there is no resistance at all when you open the bolt and you dont notice the resistance from cocking when you slam the bolt home. after firing, you basically just flick your hand back and forward and you're ready to fire in less than half a second. much faster than the actions of the other major milsurp rifles, in the case of the no4 you also get some of the best milsurp sights out there. it also has a 10 round magazine rather than a 5 round, it is a relatively heavy rifle firing a relatively mild round which makes it a very nice and comfortable rifle to shoot, no bruised shoulders here.

>what are the downs
.303 is a cunt to find, you can get lucky and get some cheap surplus, other times you're stuck buying expensive factory loads. it has a weird lock up, one tiny rear locking lug and one long lug which just sits over one bit on the receiver, while this is definitely weaker than two massive front locking lugs like a mauser, ive never seen or heard of one failing so i dont see any issue. some people bitch about .303 being rimmed, but the magazine angles the rounds in a way which arranges the rims properly so you will never get rim lock unless you purposely fuck it up when loading by hand

>best variant?
there are a heap of different ones, but generally speaking, you have two types, no1 mk3 SMLE. and you have a No4 mk1. the SMLE (like in your pic) its the one which fought all through most of the wars, then you have the updated No4 mk1, the biggest change is a much better rear aparture sight.

but yeah anyway, theyre cool, get one
>>
>>30974885
>preferably from a country that actually won WW2, faggot
That's why England speaks German ja?
>>
File: 15313912_2.jpg (24KB, 1200x283px) Image search: [Google]
15313912_2.jpg
24KB, 1200x283px
I've got an Ishapore 2A1 (Indian SMLE clone chambered in 7.62 NATO) here that my uncle left behind, is it any good?

I doubt we'll be able to do much with it since we live in Commiefornia and my family isn't that into guns.
>>
>>30974733
that is a different looking SKS. How much is it paid?
>>
If you can, get an ishapore 2a1.

It's basically a No 1 mk III* that fires 7.62 real fucking NATO.
>>
>>30980061
I own one (along with a .303 no 1 mk III* and a no 4 mk I*), and I like all three of them. If you want to shoot .308 make sure to get your headspacing checked. I had the headspacing checked on mine and it works with .308 winchester.
>>
>>30974858
Do Enfields have an interruptor like the Mosin?
>>
>>30980825
a what now?
>>
>>30975040
Lol literally worst variant
>>
>>30974733
We have a Mk. 3 in the family thats been used for hunting ever since WW1. Its got cut down sights for deer stalking that the Grandfather reckons are good to 400 yards at least. Would post a pic if it wasnt two hours ago
>>
Are Gibbs .308 mock jungle carbines alright?
>>
>>30981379
Which model?
The ones they made on No1 recievers are definetly not all right.
>>
>>30974852
just refrain from posting in the future.
>>
>>30980825
They don't no
>>
File: 20160708_193955.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20160708_193955.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
.308 Enfield best Enfield tbqh famalam...

>Inb4 poo in the loo gun
>Inb4 trash

The gun I got was 300, the only things I've had to do is fix the forestock a bit because of oil saturation, sight it in, replace the spring/follower in the magazine and that's it, other than that it shoots like a champ (mil spec 7.62 NATO, NOT .308)

When SHTF it will be a welcome addition to my arsenal, and it's a fun raifu till I get started working after school and get an M1A or FAL
>>
>>30981621
It's a Quest II, based off an Ishapore.
>>
>>30981840
Saying Ishapore doesn't help.
308s based on the 2A and No4s are okay. any made off the No1 action are suspect.
>>
I can buy a No4Mk1 for $270, but it's rusty and below fair condition. Buy or no?
>>
>>30982293
No, $80 more and you can get much better than fair condition.
>>
>>30974885
SMLE's were used by the winners in Afghanistan.
>>
I've got a no 1 mk 3, two no 4 mk 1s and a real jungle carbine. They shoot great and I reload the brass. No 4 mk 1 is an amazing feeling rifle for innawoods.
>>
Avoid the Jungle Carbines. They're not great to shoot.

The only real downside is that .303 is expensive. It's the best issued bolt action rifle ever, by some margin.
>>
>>30984682
You can get wolf copper washed steel case for a little more than 7.62x54r if you look.
>>
>>30985997
Looks like, assuming there aren't any holes drilled in it, or something ground off. Get a new stock for $50 and it'll be gtg
>>
>>30985997
Yes, So far the gun is worth a couple hundred.

So he has a sportified Enfield which they changed the stock after the war.

You can find the orginal wood for a couple hundred and that will drive the gun up like to 600 - 700$
>>
>>30980825
lee metfords do, but your ww1-2 lee enfields do not to my knowlege. at least no.4's dont.
>>
>>30986079
>>30986090
thanks I'll pass the word along
figured I'd get rid of the pic cuz im a retard who forgets to block out peoples faces
>>
>>30986106
What kind of Enfield is it? Year, Mark?
>>
>>30986175
mark 4
didn't find out year
i think it's one of the Australian ones
he got it from some chill old dude at a gun show
>>
File: 1469998622566.jpg (38KB, 800x792px) Image search: [Google]
1469998622566.jpg
38KB, 800x792px
SMLE No. I Mk. III
>>
>>
what bayonets work on my no4 mk2, and what extra kit/goodies should I get to go with it? I got just the rifle and a leather sling.
>>
>>30986325
No4Mk1,2, and 3
No7Mk1
No9Mk1
>>
>>30977521
In his words, something like "step in to the defence of the old [world]"
Sends troops and liberate, basically.
If Britain was invaded the government and royalty would have been flown to Canada where they would plot the liberation effort. Churchill expected a good solid resistance to be formed against a Nazi puppet regime (his "fight on the beaches... never surrender" speech) and he fully expected to return and reignite the war with the aid of the Americas. The US president at the time was his friend and wanted to intervene but public opinion was so heavily isolationist that lend lease was the best they could do. Also by all accounts the US military wasn't in great shape and I think he started revitalising that as well.
>>
File: 1460960237942.png (360KB, 497x604px) Image search: [Google]
1460960237942.png
360KB, 497x604px
>>30974852
how can someone post so much and say literally nothing
>>
>>30974733
Yes. I actually own a Savage made Lee Enfield No4 Mk1*. The one I own is one of the earliest ones. The stock that is on it right now is the sporter stock (Previous Owner did it). Just cleaned it up and looks like brand new. The only problem that I can find on it is that when the safety is off and I actuate the bolt, for some reason it doesn't go back in all the way cause bout halfway back, it gets stopped by a catch. The only way to release said catch while reloading is to pull the trigger. Is this normal like a safety feature and if not, how do i fix it?
Thread posts: 101
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.