[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Laser sights

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1401403764000-M16.jpg (33KB, 534x401px) Image search: [Google]
1401403764000-M16.jpg
33KB, 534x401px
Hello my friends, now I'm no milfag just a hobbyist. So can someone explain to me the purpose of a laser sight? In all online fps games I've played they have served zero purpose and only given away my position. What are they used for?
>>
>>30970874
Seems pointless on anything except for a pistol in my opinion. I wouldn't mind having one on my home defense pistol in case of a nighttime burgulary or something but that's about it.
>>
Most used by the military are infrared to be used in conjunction with NVGs.
>>
>>30970874
Lasers on military weapons are almost exclusively used for night fighting where the laser is IR old and visible only through NODs.

The military rifle lasers have a visible setting, but those are mostly used for zeroing them as best as possible.

There are extremely high powered lasers which are put on military rifles sometimes for the explicit purpose of being a non-lethal way to make local civilians stay away. An Afghan knows that if a bright ass laser shines on him he'd better either stop moving and put his hands up, or turn the fuck away if he's at a checkpoint.
>>
>>30970972
what if the gay ass insurgent just happened to loot a gen 1 NVG from god-knows-who

or what if it's a sputnik sniper with a night scope?

>>30970966
why not night sights?
>>
As said before, lasers are useless except IRL laser +NVG.

In FPSs they are a convenient way to increase accuracy without going full handwave.

At the ranges a visible laser would be used, one could roughly align the sights or even point shoot/CAR faster than looking at where the dot is and adjusting by moving the dot.
>>
>>30971062
Just for the convenience of putting the laser on the intruder and pulling the trigger in case the situation is hectic. It sounds pretty autistic but thats my logic behind it. I don't think I'll get one anyway unless I find some sort of amazing deal on one.
>>
>>30971062
You use IR lasers the same way you use lights, sparingly with light discipline, not walking around with the laser just on all the time.

>why not night sights?
Dedicated night optics are very situational and usually fairly bulky. Combing a laser with NODs is a simple, effective solution. There are dedicated night and thermal optics, but not for everybody the way lasers are.
>>
I like one I got quite a bit but I can activate and deactivate it very easily without unnecessary movement. Honestly biggest selling point for me is it's just fun to have and I get to play around with some theories about it.
Really depends on what type of laser. Laserlyte has some really cool stuff like a laser rear sight, I just like some of their ideas and think it has some potential.
>>
>>30971187
also what they do in FPS games is usually lower your hipfire spread, like you get a cone of fire in videogames and when you shoot the bullet goes somewhere in that cone, the cone of possible spread where it goes can get wider from stuff like running. Lasers in those games are suppose to make the cone a little bit smaller. full autofire your gun in those games at a wall or something and watch the marks that show up you'll see the cone im talking about
>>
>>30971062
>why not night sights?
Can't use night sights with NV googles/monocle.
>>
>>30970874

I have crimson trace grips on the pistol I carry. I shoot with them turned off as well, but I figure what colour hurt to have it?

I have some traditional style laser sights on some .22 pistols also because they look sweet.
>>
>>30971248
just slap a PVS 22 infront of your ACOG/aimpoint/whatever

otherwise; vid related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr_XHhaxWng
>>
>>30971062
They've been starting to use lasers that can only be seen through thermal sights
>>
>>30970874
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEfnxoOCSXI
useful for knowing where your muzzle is for point shooting in close quarters
>>
>>30971292
1) Pretty sure those don't work with ACOGs

2) Now you would need to issue people additional night optics

3)Soldiers would need to carry these addition optics on top of all the other "good ideas" they need to carry.

The IR laser system is lightweight, unobtrusive, and it works. People who've put a lot more thought into it than you like it.
>>
>>30971355
>1) Pretty sure those don't work with ACOGs
pic
>2) Now you would need to issue people additional night optics
>3)Soldiers would need to carry these addition optics on top of all the other "good ideas" they need to carry.
oh im sorry i thought we were talking about personal/single use.
>>
>>30971375
>Pic

What pic?
>>
File: PVS22_13-1.jpg (473KB, 1024x890px) Image search: [Google]
PVS22_13-1.jpg
473KB, 1024x890px
>>30971569
oh wait shit
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.