[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scope talk

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (125KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
125KB, 500x667px
I got a question /k/, and as a relatively new shooter im hoping ya'll can help me.

When looking through a scope, specifically in a prone position, I'm having a hard time getting my eye close enough to the end of the scope for the whole picture to show, what I mean is that I don't like shooting with the black outline that you get on the inside of the optic when you aren't close enough to the scope, do I need a shorter stock? Is it positioning? And does shooting when the lines are there yield worse accuracy or nah?

I'm also a big fan of non-ghillied snipers in Iraq and Afghan so if anyone's got some cool pictures in that field then general sniper thread I guess.
>>
File: image.jpg (54KB, 564x374px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54KB, 564x374px
>>30970138
>>
File: image.jpg (99KB, 799x535px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99KB, 799x535px
>>30970181
>>
eye relief can vary by scope, some you need to be at an exact distance from to see through clearly while others allow a bit of 'wiggle room' so to speak. get behind it then move your head until it looks good then re-mount as needed.
>>
File: snipers.jpg (675KB, 1919x1440px) Image search: [Google]
snipers.jpg
675KB, 1919x1440px
>>30970138

Black outline is bad. Blurry outline is bad. Your eye needs to be in the so called "eye box" to have clear picture.

The further you push the scope to its limits, the more finnicky the eye box becomes.
>>
File: image.jpg (94KB, 500x326px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94KB, 500x326px
>>30970547
>>30970491

Thanks to you both, it sounds like my positioning sucks, Its a fixed stock rifle so I can't do much about that, I guess I'll just have to work on stance.

Have a picture of a marine as thanks.
>>
>>30970138
Watch this all the way through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rLfYLM48Ms
>>
>>30970138
yes, you need a shorter stock. Usually you can remove some stock extension, half a centimeter actually does a lot.

But you can alter your shooting position, though it is suboptimal.
>>
>>30970897

Post your setup. We can't help you if we know nothing about your hardware.

>No rifle model
>No scope model

Are you sure you're old enough to post here?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4896x3177px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4896x3177px
Optic quality and eyebox/eye relief varies drastically with scopes and generally a lower $ scope is less forgiving, and has lower light transmission.

Go find yourself a Schmidt & Bender, high end Vortex, high end Nightforce, Swarovski, Trijicon, etc and observe the huge difference. They are expensive AF but you will see why people pay 2-4 thousand for glass, aside from that of course the durability and usability is better.

That said you can get into a 5-600 dollar optic and find one that is pretty comfortable to look through.

It's no fun when you have an optic with poor eye relief and a small eyebox. Do some shopping and save up your shekels friendo
>>
File: IMG_0333.jpg (125KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0333.jpg
125KB, 640x480px
>>
His scope position might be off too. Often the scope can be moved forward or backward a tiny bit. But it can matter a lot.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.