[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think my local police department may be trying to fuck me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

File: BadCop.png (26KB, 244x323px) Image search: [Google]
BadCop.png
26KB, 244x323px
I think my local police department may be trying to fuck me

>Own small pawnshop
>required legally to send over any items that come in my store to local sheriffs office
>I also send copies to the town office out of courtesy
>do this for every single item I have ever gotten in
>recently sold a gun on gunbroker
>guy who won the auction went to his local police department to register it (no idea why anyone would do that) and it comes back stolen
>I think its bullshit so I call my town detective and ask him to run the serial
>sure enough it is stolen
>detective has been on my ass the past 4 days wanting to know why I don't run serial numbers
>explain to him not only do i not have access to a national database of stolen firearms, but that I do what I am required to do by faxing
>goes on a long rant about how hes not going to have a pawnshop in his town dealing in stolen goods
>he has talked to the guy who sold it to me once, yet hes bitched at me every day for the past 4 days like I am the criminal here

What the fuck /k/, is there really anything else I could do? I am debating telling him next time he calls me that if he has anything else to me he can contact my lawyer.
>>
Get a lawyer now.
>>
>>30968122
Who sold it? Are they a cop or related to a cop? Why would they be on you but not care about them? Seems very fishy. Smells like a setup. Theyre trying to put you out of business or take over using that stolen gun.

Also, very possible the person could have sold it then later reported it stolen. Why wouldn't it come back as stolen when you faxed the info over?
>>
>>30968142
Fpbp.
Lawyer up, dude.
Best of luck to you.
>>
>>30968155
It didnt come back as stolen because bumfuck small local police departments "are understaffed and just dont have the manpower to run every serial" (thats a direct quote from the detective on my ass).

>Some guy who lives about an hour away sold it
Seems fishy in hindsight considering we are a pretty small store

>No idea, he said he believes the guys story
The dude told us one story when we sold then gun, me and my employee remember the story because it was a very unique gun, then told the detective another story. I explained this to the detective and his response was "hes just being so helpful with the investigation that I dont think hes the one who stole it. The gun was apparently reported stolen about 5 states away (and about 10 away from the guy I sold it to). So I personally doubt its a set up, although its really strange he is putting more attention on me than the dude who sold me a fucking stolen gun.
>>
Pawn shops really are shitholes
>>
>>30968285
Mornin' officer.
>>
>>30968122
Lol, the PD is trying to redirect blame to you because they fucked up by not running the serial number.

they have a limited amount of time that they are REQUIRED by law to run that serial number through a fed database. I believe its 6 hours after receiving your inventory notification, though I could be wrong.

They fucked up and didnt do it, now someone is going to be shitting on them for it. My guess would be its the same guy or a friend thats responsible for not doing his job thats trying to push the focus on you.

I would suggest an attorney.
>>
>>30968122
how do you buy and sell guns at a pawn without an FFL?

And if you have an FFL, the how do you not know what the laws are?
>>
>>30968511
I do have an FFL and I am following all of the laws.
>>
So, why DON'T we all have access to the stolen guns registry?
Apart from bandwidth there's no good reason to keep the common man out.
>>
>>30968511
You don't, where did OP suggest he did?

FFLs can't run serial checks on their own, if they think an item is stolen they'll ask their local PD to run the serial (which they're supposed to)
>>
>>30968551
I didn't think it was stolen because he knew the exact model and how much they sell for. Normally shady situations involve people having no idea how much shit is worth.
>>
>>30968172
>understaffed
My left nut. I'm a dispatcher. We have 4 cops on any given shift, but it only takes me about 5 minutes to run a serial
>>
>>30968122
Get a lawyer now, you are not just fighting the PD, but the town. Get copies of all the data you sent them, and do it now, get it secured it multiple places and safely. Finally remind yourself, you fulfilled your obligation to send them the data for the gun, they failed in theirs to check it.

They allowed a stolen gun to be sold and bought in your town, not the other way around.

They will never admit wrong doing, and will destroy you and your business before that.

With your lawyer, be proactive, get the lawyer to see a judge, bring the paperwork, and document the name of the dective and the number of times he has visited and what he has said. You need to engage with some basic CYA right fucking now.

Also what kinda gun was it man?
>>
>>30968586
What gun was it anyway?
>>
>>30968122
stop talking to him he is trying to bait you into incriminating yourself regardless of the truth. Refer him to your lawyer next time, shouldve done that from the beginning.
>>
>>30968122
>What the fuck /k/, is there really anything else I could do?
Get a lawyer and tell him not to come back without a warrant
>>
Why are you even talking to pigs? Nothing good will ever come of it, as any lawyer worth his salt will tell you. Do what is required by law, and keep your mouth shut.
>>
>>30968285
>pawn shops really are in shitholes
ftfy

we dont have those in white neighborhoods. just sayin'.
>>
shit that didn't happen: the thread
>>
>>30968737
yeah you do, except in white neighborhoods they're called "consignment shops" or "thrift store"
>>
get lawyer
tell cop to fuck himself
>>
>>30968172
Sorry man but you were the only one in this chain of advents that had the(maby not legaly) responsibility to make shore that you are not selling a stollen gun, you are the one that owns the shop right so it comes down to you
>>
>>30968737
Yes, yes we do have them.
>>
>>30968761
Its the responsibility of the pd to run his serials because oter people dont have access to the database. Thats why he turns in his paperwork. Cant you read?
>>
>>30968495
This
>>
>>30968172
Sorry man but you were the only one in this chain of advents that had the(maby not legaly) responsibility to make shore that you are not selling a stollen gun, you are the one that owns the shop right so it comes down to you
>>
>>30969200
0/10 troll
>>
>>30968737
No, white neighborhoods have them. They're always shitholes.
>>
>>30968142

The only answer.

>being hassled by the cops
>i-if this doesn't stop i m-might get a lawyer!

Getting a lawyer is the first fucking thing to do when you have legal trouble anon.
>>
>>30968122

If it is true that you faxed over the paperwork on the gun, you are fine. I would get an attorney just in case though.

If you want my honest opinion I think the cop or detective got bitched at for not actually checking the shit you send over, or someone above him did and he's just pissed off and knows it actually isn't your fault.

Basically
>If I'M getting yelled at, YOU'RE getting yelled at!
>>
>>30969200
If he sent the info to the police, then he followed his duty. So unless the cops expect him to be telepathic and instantly know whether the item is stolen without having access to the stolen goods database, I guess he'll just have to require that the police confirm or deny, in writing, whether each individual item is stolen.

>Hey, what's the status on these fifty item checks?
>Hey, what's the status on these seventy two item checks?
>Hey, what's the status on these ninety six item checks?
>Still waiting for confirmation, officer
>GIMME DAT PAPERWORK

I'm sure the cops will love it.
>>
Stop talking to him. Hire a lawyer, and be pro-active in this matter.

He's blame shifting and in a small town, police love to do this kind of shit. Ignore him and lawyer up and let the lawyer do the talking.
>>
>>30968122
get a lawyer, they're trying to cover their asses by shitting on you

literally get a lawyer RIGHT NOW. Close 4chan and pick up your phone.
>>
>>30968122
Maybe the faget posted gun on /k/ and someone reported it stolen
>>
>>30968122
If I were in your position, I would ask the children who browse K for legal advice.
>>
>>30968122
Let me ask you this, it's your city attempting to upscale? Would you say the appearance of a pawn shop hurts the image of the town? Or perhaps isn't the image it might be changing to, if it is in fact changing.
>>
>>30968753
>"thrift store"

....what fucking kinda shitty town do you live in pawn shops pretend to be thrift shops?
>>
YOU'RE TALKING TO POLICE ABOUT A CRIME THAT YOU WERE INVOLVED IN (if not responsible for) AND YOU DON'T HAVE A LAWYER!?!?

RULE 1: DON'T TALK TO COPS WITHOUT A LAWYER
>>
>>30968807
shit, that nigger can barely spell.
>>
>>30968761
>advents
>maby
>legaly
>shore
>stollen

Holy shit.
>>
File: 1444186233244.jpg (182KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1444186233244.jpg
182KB, 1200x900px
>>30968155
>>30968172
Now, I haven't read the whole thread yet, so pardon me for being a gay retard, but didn't you say you have to send it all in to the PD anyways? Why in fuck's name would they get mad at you for not running the serial WHEN YOU COMPLIED WITH THEM AND GIVE IT TO THEM? Why would they not fucking run it themselves, what's the point of legally being required to send it to the cops first?

Something seems real fucky here. Even if nothing's up, lawyer up and take specific note of that, I feel like that'd affect the case.
>>
>>30969626
>RULE 1: DON'T TALK TO COPS
Fixt
>>
>>30968531
The same reason we can't all run background checks.

???????
>>
File: image.jpg (30KB, 284x384px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30KB, 284x384px
>>30968122
If you committed no crime, and by you faxing the serials to the PD, it would be their fault for not doing their jobs.

Pawn Shops aren't required to be tapped into the databases, that's the PDs job.

I would tell that detective to fuck off and get off your property, sounds like he's just trying to fuck with you.

I would seek professional law help and get advise from a lawyer, most pawn shops have one on speed dial.

There is no reason for that detective to come into your store an start hassling you, especially if there are customers inside.

I've been a manager at a local pawn shop. The only time I liked to see cops was when they came to retrieve stolen property and to get rid of punks.

There was a patrol sergeant that headed the stolen property, had some fancy name, other than that, I try to avoid them as much as possible.

We where a very legit pawn shop, had all our records and staffing in order, still we would get these fake ass narc officers coming in to try to fence stolen property and just general shady stuff to get us in trouble.

This sounds really fishy, seek advise from s lawyer quick.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.