[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gun Friendly States for Programmers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2

Question for you, /k/:

I'm a computer programmer currently living in the Midwest that wants to move somewhere with more job opportunities, but I don't want to live in an anti-gun shithole like California, Massachusetts, or New York.

Are any of you computer programmers that can recommend a good area? I mostly program C and C++ for video games, rather than web stuff.
>>
>>30957431
>video games
Possibly Virginia? You could commute to DC. Georgia... there is some stuff in Atlanta. Checkout gamejobhunter.com
>>
>>30957467
Thanks. I didn't know about this site at all. I've only ever used gamasutra.
>>
Texas, look around Austin. Be aware Austin is the worst part of the state, though- full of Californian refugees.
Georgia has some tech jobs in Atlanta, I hear.
>>
>>30957492
I've made my career living in blue towns in red states, so I could probably handle Austin, provided I could get out of town now and then. I'll check it out. Thanks.
>>
>>30957431
WA, but good luck getting out here, they sweat your game devs for pennies and then kick you out the door.
>>
>>30958315
That's true for most of the industry now...
>>
Utah is supposedly becoming a conservative tech paradise.

Colorado is iffy, but they don't enforce their shitty gun laws at all.
>>
Isn't Chattanooga good for comp. Sci?
>>
>>30958315
I was actually looking into WA this week. I was surprised at how good their gun laws are. Not as many studios as CA, but it seemed alright. Shame to hear the culture is bad for devs, though.

>>30958427
I'm lucky to work for a large(r) indie so we can mostly ignore the bullshit other game devs have to handle, though we do crunch occasionally. I'd disagree with you, though, that the industry is getting worse. I think it's actually getting better. I know of fewer devs regularly crunching than before, though I'm relatively new to the industry (been in it a few years).
>>
>>30958450
Utah, huh? hmm. That could work. Get myself a Mormon qt and defile her. Conservative tech paradise is what I wish existed: like California's tech industry, but not full of ultra-leftwing idiots.

Colorado looked alright, but it's trending into another liberal shithole. Would love to make it a regular vacation spot, though.

>>30958482
Hell if I know. I don't think most people could even find it on a map, desu, though maybe it's a really nice town.
>>
>>30958486
It's game dev work in general. You guys went into work in a field they knew you loved, makes you easy targets. After all for every one of you that complains there's a few lining up to work for video games.

>>30958427
Maybe if your skill aren't up to par.
>>
>>30958563
I'm from Montreal. Most I know even remotely attached to the field have to deal with shit from ubisoft, EA, Activision or squeenix. I mean, there's Phil Fish, but that's Phil Fish...
>>
>>30957565
Cedar Park is just outside of Austin, bit of a commute but it's red af
>>
>>30959802
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

>>30959737
The former Eidos crew up there in Montreal are cool af. I've always liked working with them. Too bad Canada hates fun.

>>30958563
Yeah, you're right about the industry in general. Lots of predatory work practices. The whole industry needs to get this sorted out if we want to mature and retain talent.
>>
Indy has a bustling tech sector growing

I work down there as well
>>
Madison, WI has a growing tech sector, and we could always use more hasgunz voters to make sure Walker stays Governor.
>>
>>30960288
Madisonfag reporting in
Sheriff is actually fairly based here in Dane county.
>>
>>30957431
Charlotte, NC is BEGGING for programmers and our economy is doing pretty damn well. We have really good self-defense laws and the only fuckery we have is the "pistol purchase permit" which is gay but its way out thanks to our based Senators
>>
>>30957431
Denver/Boulder has quite a lot of tech opportunities. Usually I say fuck off we're full but we need more non lib pussies to balance us out. Gun laws are pretty good here desu.
>>
>>30959971
It's really Quebec that sucks. The language politics alone make it a toxic work environment.
>>
>>30960288
I'm a Madisonfag now
>>
>>30960350
Yeah I've been considering NC but I didn't know what to make of the permit. Glad to hear it's on its way out.
>>
>>30958486
I can reccomend WA, seeing as I live there, just don't believe the memes about how bad our laws are. You will almost certainly be working in the Seattle area if you do programming, but for innawoods shooting I don't know of a better state. Plus, the whole place is beautiful and green, and thankfully theres a good effort to keep it that way.
>>
>>30957491
>Gamasutra

Avoid like the fucking plague
>>
I live in austin but seattle might be better. there are no public lands to shoot here.
>>
>>30960808
Yeah, let me just avoid using the job listings on the definitive industry website like everyone else I know, because one of their unaffiliated SJW bloggers pissed you off.

Lots of bullshit comes out of their blogs, and they're obvs leftwing, but they're still the definitive industry magazine and the place to look for work.

Unless you know of a better job board?
>>
>>30957431
The south has a pretty good selection of companies
Georgia and tennesee notably
>>
>>30960514
Yeah, I've heard the gun laws are bad. How are gun laws in Seattle?
>>
>>30960852
In Seattle proper it's not the laws about guns it's the laws about buying them. They instituted a tax that effectively ran all the shops from the city. Course just outside there's quite a few ready to serve.
>The Good
1. Shall issue permit, head to the office with a license slap $50 get finger printed and in a month or less you have a CCW
2. No specific weapon bans (outside of SBS/Machine Guns)
3. Can manufacture SBRs
4. No mag restrictions
5. No buying ammo online restrictions
6. No Income Tax

>Bad
1. I594 which makes doing private sales a bit annoying and adds about $20-50 overhead to each sale
2. Gun use tax charged on all out of state purchases (I find that telling the seller to not include a price memo allows me to self declare)
3. Rent is a bitch
4. Traffic is a bitch
5. Annoying people fuck up the beautiful land that we all share.
>>
>>30957431
Austin, Texas
>>
>>30957431
I don't know about the current job market, but both Utah and Missouri are major data center states.
>>
Utah is one of the fastest growing industries, especially with tech companies. At least from what I hear. Most people are crazy conservative and it's pretty fun friendly here, but if you're like anti-Mormon or something then I'd go somewhere else because we're everywhere, unless you're ok with really smiley overly nice people.
>>
>>30957431
>Videogames
You dont have a job and you will never get one
>>
>>30961548
Stay jelly. I've been full-time at a video game studio doing netcode and graphics for a couple of years now.

>>30961519
I'm not anti-Mormon, but they weird me out. Better than a bunch of Jamals or nogunz liberals, though.

>>30960904
Thanks for the detailed info!
>>
>>30958520
Yeah I don't wanna jynx or anything but I don't see based Utah changing their gun laws for the worse ever. Plus I've heard that's the place to go for tech in the midwest.
>>
>>30957431
Doesnt Utah or one of those have a growing programming sector. Its where the NSA and a couple other big companies have their server farms and shit.
>>
>>30964073
Whoops shit, shoulda read the thread. Yeah Utah Op.
>>
File: Screenshot 2016-08-12 20.14.15.png (141KB, 786x583px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2016-08-12 20.14.15.png
141KB, 786x583px
>>30957431
I am also in tech and moved to Shitifornia a few years ago for the jobs. Every day my desire to flee this shithole increases.

I am planning to move to Colorado in the next few months, hopefully in time to help keep it from voting blue.

>REEEEEEEEEEEE COMMIEFORNIANS STAY OUT

I lived in Colorado before moving to California, so it's not the same -- I'm just moving back. I will always vote for preserving gun rights, so don't worry.
>>
Huntsville Alabama is a nice fat hub of government contractor jobs for all types of engineers and comp sci folks, granted there isn't anything preventing you from being able to get a security clearance.
>>
>>30963926
>>30964073
>>30964087

I've been really surprised to see Utah come up again and again in this thread. I didn't even know software development was a big industry out there. I'll take a much closer look at Utah next week.

>>30964185

REEEEEEEEEEEE COMMIEFORNIANS STAY OUT
>>
>>30960904
>1. Shall issue permit, head to the office with a license slap $50 get finger printed and in a month or less you have a CCW
Protip: you need to have been a WA resident for the past 90 days continuous before you apply. I moved here in May and still can't get a CPL. On the other hand, if you can find an FFL that does transfers and processes 4473s quickly, long guns couldn't be much simpler.

On the other hand, a WA CPL covers unrestricted loaded car carry, so that's cool to look forward to.
>>
>>30958450
+1 for this. Utah is basically becoming Silicon Valley 2.0, but with the benefit of a heavily Mormon population that filters most libs out
>>
>>30957467
Definitely VA if you can get a job at Bethesda in Maryland. An Alexandria/Fairfax commute to Bethesda wouldn't be too awful.
>>
>>30957492
>>30957565
>>30959802
>>30959971
Former Austinite/UT grad here.

Literally don't ever bother with downtown Austin. The rent is literal anus and the people are fucking dipshits. Cedar Park and Westlake/Lakeway are the best places for a red voter, desu. A bit snooty and women-with-overpriced-handbags but that shit is anywhere with people who aren't against guns.
>>
>>30957431
not /k/ related
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.