[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Revolvers for CC

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: gun.jpg (30KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
gun.jpg
30KB, 600x400px
What's the drawbacks of having a revolver for CCW? I am looking at the Shield and it only has 1 more round capacity than a revolver. Just the reload speed with a semi auto is better or something?
>>
>>30953304
Any modern standard caliber auto is better in almost every way except weight maybe, but to be honest? Most of the time you won't need to do much more than pull it out.

But if you get lucky and need more than 5? You'll never live it down. Literally.
>>
>>30953304
You can LARP as a wild west gunslinger
>>
if your a cowboy a revolver is probably better if you have to beat a dead horse
>>30953343
>Any modern standard caliber auto is better in almost every way except weight maybe
is that why a strong revolver frame can load rimmed/semirimmed/nonrimmed cartridges, more bullet types that would jam loading into an auto, and depending on the frame strength pack stronger powder loads?
>>
Get a Ruger in .327 fed mag. Six shot snubbies with very close to .357 mag power.
>>
>>30953304

The only drawbacks are lack of capacity. And yes, modern semis are very reliable, and yes, revolvers aren't infallible. But a revolver, like the one you posted (I'm actually thinking of buying a 442 when I ever get around to getting my LTC) generally presents less opportunity for mistakes on your half or failures on the gun's half.

As far as reloading goes, in almost any scenario where you pull your CC reloading won't be an issue, but if you feel it is go with a semi

I think a J-frame S&W is fine for what most people need; conceals easily, .38 special is just fine for most situations (are most common calibers better? yes, but fine=good enough), as is 5 rounds, and personally I'd sooner carry a small S&W revolver than a small semi, even though, as I stated earlier, the likely hood of failure with both is small. That said, my aunt recently bought a Glock 42 to defend her house, because she has small weak hands. We took it to the range to test it out - couldn't get through a magazine. It would do this weird thing where the trigger would stay locked back and it wouldn't cycle the next round. Now, I'm sure many will jump to point out to me that it was a limited batch thing, which I recognize, and it doesn't mean that 99% of the time any new semi auto will cycle, but still. If I'm gambling my life I'd go with a revolver. Here I am admitting my bias, before y'all rip into me

OP, do some research, shoot a bunch of different guns, and go with what YOU feel good about. Remember, any responses you get, including mine will be biased. The most important thing is to get comfortable with whatever you choose, and think about all the different things that can go wrong in the scenarios that make you want to carry a gun, and always be ready to do something else besides pull it out a slot a floppy
>>
I like revolvers and even I think they are obsolete to CC today. If you're gonna limit yourself to 5-6 rounds by carrying one you might as well pack full power .357 loads
>>
>>30955069
Ruger LCR comes in 5 x .357mag or 6 x .327fedmag.
>>
>>30953304
Drawbacks
>less capacity
>.357 gets the boom without the effect out of a snubbie

Advantages
>442s and lcrs fit in the weight range of pocket .380s
>you don't need to do a malfunction drill on a tiny slide with high spring tension
>>
>>30953304
usual complaints are
>lack of capacity
but there are plenty of autos that hold the same ammount
>slower reload speed
which is true, releasing and putting in a new mag is just faster unless you get jerry michulek speed
>little bulkier, depending on what you compare it to
a .38 vs a single stack 9 for example, the 9 is going to be slimmer. Thus might not be a problem for you but it is for some. I carry a snubnose sometimes and it takes getting used to after carrying an auto
>>
File: S&W 38 airweight.jpg (95KB, 760x1017px) Image search: [Google]
S&W 38 airweight.jpg
95KB, 760x1017px
I carry this S&W 38 Special Airweight. It is old (from the 70s) but was my dad's before he gave it to me. It isnt fun to shoot, as the bang is big and the handle is small, but I figure the day I need to use it, I am going to be close, and wont need to pull the trigger more than once.
>>
Taurus raging judge magnum: 3" barrel
6 rounds of federal .410 handgun 000
20 9mm sized shots at 1,200 fps.

I was impressed. Thinking about buying one.
>>
File: taurus-1-tau_2_513039.jpg (60KB, 650x415px) Image search: [Google]
taurus-1-tau_2_513039.jpg
60KB, 650x415px
>>30957162
http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=877&category=Revolver&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=
>>
>>30957162
>trusting your life and your hand to a Taurus
RIP in many many pieces
>>
>>30953304
Just get a glawk OP
>>
>>30957186
Have you seen the video of the Brazil cop shaking a 24/7 and it firing on safe?

I think it's Micheal J Fox's gun
>>
>>30953304

I've carries a Smith 642 for years in my front pocket. I work in a business casual place, and front pocket seems to be the most practical fit for me.

I tried a couple of the tiny 380's, but I think they were too malfunction prone when shooting one handed, or anything less than a "at the range" grip. Off hand shooting was very unreliable, but maybe my hands are weak. Either way, if it doesn't work, then into the trash, ya know?

J-frames shoot fine in either hand, and still works great with a bad grip.

I would not recommend using a 357 though. Buying them is fine, but just use 38 spec. People actually damage their hands shooting 357 out of a lightweight gun.
>>
a shield has at least 2 more rounds then that snubie and a longer barrel and 9mm is a better round then 38 special. I carry IWB and the wheel guns are just too fat. Single stack 9 is where it's at for iwb.
>>
>>30958542
Even single stacks print with pocket carry though. Revolvers are the way to go if you want to carry in your pocket.
>>
>>30958962
This. I pocket carry a snubby and even though the cilinder is thicker, that's not the part that prints in pockets. It's the grip. And pocket revolvers have really nice and small grips.

And pocket carrying is completely comfortable. And extremely quickly to draw from.

One time in the mean streets of L.A. two thugs walked up to me at night. Obviously I wasn't going to draw on them for just that. If i was IWB carrying my Glock 26, I would have to have lifted my shirt, and reached awkwardly, and kept my hand on my gun obviously ready to draw and thus potentially escalating a situation that wasn't going to go anywhere to begin with.

But I was carrying my pocket snubbie so I had my hand inside my pocket already holding my gun and having a hand inside your pocket doesn't necessarily scream "GUN!!!"

If there's one thing I've seen from liveleak videos, it's that every damn milisecond matters. Almost every single gun fight I see ends in the first few shots.

More so than reloading and capacity. Reliability, speed of draw, ease of access, and concealability are the most important aspects for self defense.
>>
>>30959746
>More so than reloading and capacity. Reliability, speed of draw, ease of access, and concealability are the most important aspects for self defense.

This. As a fellow LLer for a super long time, as stated most gun fights do not require a reload. (unless in brazil, but than thats only a slim portion of them and are usually cops just putting lead into the robbers.) If you havent been on LL just browse through all thr gunfight videos. No one wants to get in a shoot out and most people (robbers and CCW holders) typically run first chance they get. So get something that you find comfy. Personally once I get my CCW im going should rig for my wheelgun. Im in my car alot and its just the most comfortable for me. Pocket revolver would be my next choice however.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.