[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/gem/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 368
Thread images: 30

File: 1381860918159.gif (3MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
1381860918159.gif
3MB, 320x180px
/meg/- Military Enlistment General
Let's argue about lying on SF86's for two more threads edition

>Discord
https://discord.gg/0y3eBT2ji4rHI4TM
>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

OP template
http://pastebin.com/sb5Gv1dW

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/6764857
>>
My post from the other thread

>be me
>want too be muhreen and do muhreen stuff
>have sick grandparents
>would kick myself in the ass the rest of my life if I wasn't there when one or both of them passed away. (Like if I was at boot or deployed)
Wut do?

I could do reserves, but then won't get to do cool shit
>>
>lie to MEPS
>don't lie for TS

o-ok
>>
So, how do I enlist in the American military if I'm a dirty Snowback (Canadian)?
>>
File: 1458346986684.jpg (214KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1458346986684.jpg
214KB, 1920x1080px
>>30946364
ahahahaha is that one of the supposed "WOMENZ FIGHTING ISIS"?

oh fuck im dying
>>
>>30946568
You need to be a lawful resident in the US, then you apply just like everyone else.

As a fellow foreign faggot looking at enlisting I've read up some on it. If you're not a US citizen you're going to be limited with which MOS you can pick because you can't get a security clearance unless you're a US citizen.

So you'll have to apply for a service that requires no security clearance, but once you're a citizen you can possibly get a Secret clearance, TS clearance is never going to happen.
>>
>>30946619
Damn, if only I were in the 1970s when America was just picking Canadians up left and right for 'Nam. I've considered either the US or Russia (I speak Russian fluently thanks to family), but I imagine the former is a lot easier to do.

If I apply for a service after I'm a citizen, do you suppose I'll have just as much chance to get whatever as a regular American would? If not, should I not even bother with America and serve my current Nation's military and just hope our stockpiled Leopards get some use eventually?
>>
will answer general questions, particularly army related
>>
>>30946661
You don't need to be a citizen to join, just have a green card. You'll get your citizenship after you join the armed forces.
>>
>>30946718
I'll be able to apply for combat roles and all that? I'm likely looking for maybe Armoured or Mechanized. I've always loved A/IFVs.
>>
>>30946766
Yeah, the jobs that require no security clearance are the grunt jobs like infantry, artillery, tank crew, cav scout, mechanic. Etc.
>>
>>30946776
That makes sense. Sorry, I've been awake an unreasonable amount of time and for some reason thought that I needed clearance for having a great time in an AFV. If I can also get citizenship from service, that's double great. As a semi-tangential question; do they typically look down at Canadians, or any foreigner in the military for that matter? Not that I entirely care about being the divisional punching bag, it's just something I'm curious about.

Either way, thanks for the deets, anon.
>>
>>30946812
I assume they'll give you lots of shit for being a canadian. Just like anywhere else.

Also if you do get a US citizenship while serving you will have to give up your old citizenship.
>>
>>30946712

>>30946267
>>
>>30946619
How can you even get a green card outside of marriage? Don't you have to be highly qualified and brought in by a company?
>>
>>30946963
Yeah, immigrating from another wealthy country is extremely difficult if it isn't for family relations like immediate relatives or spouse.
>>
If you fill out the part of the paperwork where it asks for your health insurance information, are they going to take that and check your medical records?
>>
>>30947154
Too late
>>
>>30947154
My post isn't even about that
>>
How could an American go and join the Foreign Legion?
>>
>>30946364
OCS candidate here was accepted
what branch best sells me to law enforcement. I am thinking post army career, really wan Armor am well aware how branching ceremony works to by the way
>>
File: 21331.jpg (545KB, 2500x1656px) Image search: [Google]
21331.jpg
545KB, 2500x1656px
>>30947505
>CS candidate here was accepted
>what branch best sells me to law enforcement. I am thinking post army career, really wan Armor am well aware how branching ceremony works to by the way
>>30947505
>>
Just scheduled my first RSP Nasty Girl drill with a DS

Is it as intense as the first days of BCT will be?

I hope so, desu
>>
>>30946364
So I signed a guaranteed aptitude area contract with the Air Force. Code is 9TM44. So I won't know exactly what i'll be doing till i'm in basic. Anything I should know/expect?
>>
So when does coming off leave not tear your heart out? Its not even the goodbyes it always hits either in the airport or back in the barracks when you would give anything just to be sitting with everyone for 5 more minutes. Does that ever go away?
>>
>>30947964
It's only 9 months, you pansy
>>
Any Tank Crewmen here? What's your experience been like living in a box with 3-4 other people?
>>
>>30948123
When do I get into that mindset?
>>
File: 1470283295545.png (1MB, 972x806px) Image search: [Google]
1470283295545.png
1MB, 972x806px
>>30946364
Hey guys,

I take it there are some enlisted soldiers in here, so I'll ask my questions.

What kind of work T-shirts do you use/get?
Can someone post a picture of the packaging or the brand name? Does the clothing distribution still come from the DSCP?

Also, how do you like the riggers belts compared to the old canvas?

Thanks ahead of time.
>>
>>30946364
lying how??
>>
Are TS investigations just as anal for reserves as they are in active duty?
>>
File: Beavis.png (28KB, 122x121px) Image search: [Google]
Beavis.png
28KB, 122x121px
>>30946364
where can I download "Gay Army"?
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkt1vAX0MRM
>>
>>30950025
Explain to me how it could possibly make any sense for it to be any different.
>>
>>30947154
Stop living in a 3rd world shit hole then
>>
>>30947964

I can't stand leave for more than a week. It gets a lot better if you don't hate your job. Military life with BAH is also ten times better.

Source: 60 days banked right now.
>>
>>30950869
civie here,

You guys get a month of paid vacation right?

How do you spend your leave?

Example
>1 week back home with family
>1 week in Vegas
>2 weeks in travelling through Europe
>>
>>30946364
I want to be in the military, but I also want to go to college. Wat do?
>>
Where on the special operations spectrum do Rangers lie? From what I've read their primary responsibility is raids, as opposed to more long term operations carried out by Army SF or other forces.
>>
File: reloading.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
reloading.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
How are my odds at re enlisting with a RE3?

or am i fucked for life?
>>
>>30951467

One week Vegas.

One week with family for Christmas.

5 days bundled with two weekends for a 9 day "local" vacation.

That leaves me with about 10 days unused per year which I just bank for terminal.

Military also get a lot of random days off and sham days depending on where we are.
>>
Any aussies here? Joining infantry in 2 months is the school of infantry harder than kapooka?
>>
>>30951486

ROTC is the obvious choice. With SMP if you're over-motivated. Doing college while you're in is also possible, but risky.
>>
>>30946364
Torn between getting my AS in RN and getting medical experience in military, or doing coolguy shit like Aircrewman or Special Missions Aviator

I mean, who else can do coolguy shit in military planes, right?
>>
>>30951486
Join up. You can always do college later when you actually have the money to do it, plus you can get a degree funded by your military (depending on your role). No point putting yourself in debt when you clearly have doubts about going to college; don't bother if you aren't going to be dedicated to it.
>>
>>30947462
>Fly to Legion recruitment center
>Knock on door
>Gib passport
>Pray you are one of the few selected
>>
>>30946398
Happened to me while in basic. The grandma who raised me for my first 2 years of life and who I truly loved unexpectedly died while I was in basic. It fucked me up so bad I could barely function that week. I had a dream of her saying how proud she was of me and hugging me and holy shit I couldn't sleep that night.
>>
>>30951649
> Doing college while you're in is also possible, but risky.

Do you have any information about this?

Couldn't I be a reservist?

>>30951770
> You can always do college later when you actually have the money to do it, plus you can get a degree funded by your military (depending on your role).
I have the money for college, but I want to know if I can do both at the same time, if possible.
>>
>>30952001
>I want to know if I can do both at the same time, if possible.
You can't. Joining the military isn't like going to stay in a dorm. You can be trained and get qualifications during your time, but you won't be able to attend a college or earn a degree until after you finish your tour.
>>
>>30952001
Being a reservist probably won't scratch that itch and it's really hard to go active later unless you're SMP.

>>30952024
BS. Depends where you are. Cushy desk job? You can probably do college.
>>
>>30951769
Special Missions Aviator.... do you know what that word means anon?
>>
>>30947505
cops dont care what branch you were in. any combat arms, or "maneuver" as they call it now, will do
>>
>>30952283
Actually cyber or MI will sell yourself to law enforcement way better than any bullshit combat arms job. Law enforcement, especially the high-end federal shit, isn't anything like being a soldier. They want STEM skills and clearances, not the ability to ruck and shoot.

But, sure, an Armor officer can score a gig as a beat cop. PS, beat cops make a fuckton less than military officers in almost all cases.
>>
>>30952420
law enforcement is not in the same realm as being a fed. youre right about working beyond the state level, but below that they will literally take anyone.
>>
>>30952420
>cyber
top fuckin kek anon. i'd love to hear your credentials to be spouting such horseshit
>>
>>30952468
Buttmad much that CY is the most coveted branch now? Hard to beat for civilian credentials.

If you just want to be a local cop, go apply. OCS is crazy overkill.
>>
>>30952545
jesus christ you guys never quit trying to self validate, do you? why do you find it necessary to spend your free time on a sengalese turtle growing forum trying to convince other people that your chosen specialty is actually relevant and comparative to real combat?
>>
will be around for a bit to answer
>>
>>30952579
who are you faggot
>>
File: 1413709490566.jpg (172KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1413709490566.jpg
172KB, 1024x768px
>>30946364
Hello all I know this is a MEG thread but this question involving LEO and MIL question
I was accepted into OCS (Army)
I love Armor, but want a career is law enforcement afterwards when I am said and done with the armor, any opinion on the matter

>I am familiar with the branching procedure and well versed in what will happen
MI, Mp and armor are my top three
>>
>>30952613
11b, deployed
>>
>>30952635
if youre in afg i know you arent doing jack shit
>>
>>30952615
you dumb cunt did you not see some people already replied to your stupid ass question
>>
>>30952640
Like most deployments have been, 90% isn't jack shit, the other 10% is missions.
>>
>>30952615
>Attention whoring this hard
>>
>>30952651
I apologize but I try to get as many answers as i can
>>
>>30952704
then listen up faggot because i'll tell you one more time and that's it.
they are only going to care that you:
A: are a veteran
B: were an officer

combat mos or experience is a bonus
>>
File: 1402772403142.png (790KB, 862x719px) Image search: [Google]
1402772403142.png
790KB, 862x719px
>>30952676
I was accepted into Navy OCS, can i get attention
>>
>>30950869
I lost more than that when I got out.
Shit staff never told me there was a cap.
Never went on leave other than 4 day weekends.
Even volunteered to do CQ on Christmas twice.

For those looking to get in, if you do well on your asvab, it gives you a lot more power than you think.
I'm not talking about 79.
If you get 92 or higher, that's top tier and you can barter a lot more.
>air force recruiter said piss off because you're a highschool dropout?
>army recruiter took you to get your GED, then you scored a 94 on the asvab?
>go back to air force recruiter and watch him start kissing your ass
They get bonus' for enlisting someone, but they get another bonus for getting a top tier candidate in.

92+ on asvab also gets sign on bonus (last I checked they change the bonu list constantly though).
Hazardous MOS's also get bonus'.
Not just talking about EOD, but lame shit like fueler.
So as an example- 94 asvab ($7k bonus) and fueler ($20k bonus) just for signing your name.
>>
Anybody here an EM in the Navy?
>>
>>30952983

>Lost when I got out

You just take it as terminal leave. You don't lose leave when you ETS, you just lose leave when the fiscal year rolls over.

And your recuiting info is old as fuck bro, and probably the reason why people think that they can roll in with a high ASVAB score and barter their way through being completely disqualified otherwise.

It isn't 2009, they don't need anyone with a pulse now. I have seen guys with great ASVAB scores get shut down entirely because they had a GED, or relegated to shit jobs. Bonuses are still around, but anything over a few grand is very rare. In fact, they just shut down reenlistment bonuses entirely for the Army. That's for everyone, including the Tier 8+ shit.

Recruiters acting impressed at your ASVAB is the oldest trick in the book. 90+ are a dime a dozen, and even if you get a 99 and the recruiter say "wow, that's the highest I've ever seen!" they're lying through their teeth unless they just started recruiting.
>>
>>30952615

Better to not hate your time in service and then build your career afterwards than it is to branch something you're miserable in for the credentials. Will Armor set you up well to do law enforcement? Probably not, but you can always do shit on the side.

That said, officer duties are mostly the same regardless of branch.
>>
How does the option 40 trick work? I checked the FAQ and the army ranger site, and around the interwebs. From what I gather, the recruiter will tell you to go ahead and fill it out, but will then try and convince/trick you into doing some other gay MOS
>>
>>30953840
>meg FAQ, the one that called me a fatass
>>
>>30953840
Opt40 gets you into RASP. You'll go to Airborne school, then RASP after completing BCT / AIT.

Just stick to your guns in the recruiting office and they can't fuck with you if you won't sign a paper you don't intend to sign.

They use all sorts of scare tactics and 100% of them are BS. You pick what you want, and that's that.
>>
I fell for the meme and shipping out for the Navy as a nuke in 1 month. I just have one question, is STAR reenlistment worth it or should I just get the fuck out after my times up? Seems like a decent amount of money.
>>
>>30946364
Nigs, I'm going back to the army after having three failed jobs since I have nothing left.
Scared of doing meps again.... aka the no food or drink for 12 hours challenge.
Even if I get through that, more scared of basic training because I'm such a big softie.
Tear up about the little things....
>>
>>30953983
>RASP
Refugee & Asylum Seekers Project?
>>
File: fugray.jpg (48KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
fugray.jpg
48KB, 800x800px
>depressed
>drinking too much
>angry all the time but also doing p much nothing ever
>generally losing control of my life
>easiest contact to medical, psychological, and social professionals is through the military

>don't wanna go tho lest I lose my job because "lol anon is unstable, better release him"

what now
>>
File: police.webm (3MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
police.webm
3MB, 320x180px
>>30952615
>I want to drive tanks!
>my end goal is to be a cop though!
>>
File: judge_dredd_by_davinci41.jpg (112KB, 820x680px) Image search: [Google]
judge_dredd_by_davinci41.jpg
112KB, 820x680px
>>30954829
God bless our boys in blue.
>>
>>30954829
/k/ will literally defend this
>>
Anyone who flies planes (preferably fast ones) in? I got some questions
>>
>>30954829
they really should stop resisting
>>
>>30951626
are you the guy from the other thread who said he was gonna kill himself at great lakes?
>>
>>30946364
I really want to deploy to Africa, should I shoot for 68W? Seems like kind of the place they'd be needed
>>
>>30953840
Option 40 isn't an MOS, it is an option on top of another MOS.
>>
>>30955205
Lol no... i got passed
RTC and A schol
>>
Is it possible to get a few GF's while enlisted?

I'm not talking about marrying the first girl who pays attention to you for that BAH, that is a recipe for disaster.

I'm talking about managing a real vetting process... Dating n shit takes time if you want to find the right person to start a family.
>>
>>30954829
don't you get tired of posting this
>>
>>30956136
or being an Officer for that matter...

too much responsibility and all.

can your gf even come over to your on base apartment to bang?

somebody add some input
>>
>>30952024
>you won't be able to attend a college or earn a degree until after you finish your tour.
That's bullshit. Most of the people in my shop are doing school on the side.

I finished a BS in CompSci last year. Two others finished their Master's recently.
>>
Hey guys, I have a question.

I got a fucky diagnosis after having a bad time on adderall and staying up for three days when I was 19. They pink slipped me into a hospital, gave me a young adult social worker, and put me on SSI. I've since gotten the diagnosis amended to general anxiety and bipolar disorder, and I'm working on getting that nullified so I'm not some sort of fucked up psycho on paper. I'm talking to the Social Security office today to explain my situation. Furthermore, I have a threatening domestic violence charge from when I was 18, and cannot use firearms due to the Lautenberg amendment. The charge was just a verbal thing.

This was all 7 years ago. I looked into firearms rights restoration and its possible to do.

I used to be a shithead, but I've been a damn saint for 7 years and have been slowly getting the shit that looks bad on paper pecked away.

My question to you is, if I get my record expunged, and have a psychiatrist write me a clean bill of mental health, will I be able to enlist in the U.S Army or possibly be waived in? I had a friend who had his bipolar diagnosis amended and he's an Army Ranger now.
>>
File: 2manypups.webm (3MB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
2manypups.webm
3MB, 720x480px
>>30946364
Whats the best maintainer job in the Air Force? I know they all suck but which one sucks the least?
>>
>>30957371
For flightline maintenance (not backshop like NDI, AGE, etc.), I'd say comm/nav > GC > EE > hydro > jets > crew chief.

Well, I'm fairly certain of the first three, anyway. The last three all seem about equally shitty.
>>
>>30946364
Can anybody tell me what i'm in for as a 9TM44
>>
What's the rule on wearing a uniform off base? Like when I'm finished with bct are you allowed to wear it to church or something
>>
>>30957815
It seems cool now but the mere thought of it will make you cringe hard after you've actually earned that uniform.
>>
File: retarded.gif (2MB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
retarded.gif
2MB, 240x180px
>>30957815
What is wrong with you?
>>
>>30954829
> TFW a lot of these cops got away with it
>>
Why is it that every army band member sergeant or higher?
>>
>>30958390
>>30958387
It's called pride why join if you hate the uniform
>>
>>30958882
There's lots of E4 actually. Anyone that stays in for more than 1 enlistment makes Sergeant usually because Band start at E4.
>>
>>30959645
Are you kidding me?
>>
>>30950141
>stop living in a 3rd world shit hole
>implying the Middle East was a complete shit hole until us Americans tried to give everyone "the freedums"
>>
If I have chrons disease (had a flare up or two but dosent effect me now) can I join the amry or any other branch?
>>
File: Mutant Snake.png (475KB, 558x472px) Image search: [Google]
Mutant Snake.png
475KB, 558x472px
Hey /meg/ I passed marine validation today. I'm cleared to ship next month.
the RS gunnies are pretty convincing with their Moment of Truth speech, but I noticed inconsistencies. Today at first they were like "If you're hiding something, we will find out, you'll get x-rayed in boot camp" then turn around and say "listen, at the moment of Truth at boot camp if you fess up to something you've hidden, they don't have time to get waivers and medical documents, they'll send you right home" They don't have time to gather medical documents and shit, but they'll give you the full nelson when it comes to your physical.
>>
>>30959645
>It's called pride
First off you faggot you havent even served yet and youre gonna lecture us who have on pride?
Second its not called pride, its called being a giant attention whoring faggot whose looking for handouts.
Literally never wear your uniform off base if you dont absolutely have to.
>>
>>30954805

Find your nearest AA meeting. You may or may not find out that drinking isnt your problem, but rather your solution to you problems. Then you can get down to causes and conditions of what youre going through.
>>
>>30959839
I think you're just autistic
>>
>>30960131
Walking around with your uniform is what's autistic m8
>>
>>30960131
Everyone here is telling you you are both stupid and lame for wearing your uniform in public. Btw you dont even have it yet fag.
>>
>>30947854
Expect to be a fucking mechanic
>>
>>30952545
>OCS is overkill
Yeah, fast tracking yourself to Special Agent or Precinct Captain is 'overkill'
>>
>>30959715
>Le ebul Americans are responsible for everything in the middle East
>>30959718
No that's a serious autoimmune disease, no way they'd let you. I don't they let diabetics either
>>
>>30959645
>why join
Paycheck, job skills, college money

>if you hate the uniform
It's part of the job. I generally don't hate wearing it at work, but that doesn't mean I want to wear it outside of work.
>>
>>30960291

Anon, it isn't fast-tracking if you have to take on another whole career beforehand. If you want to be a local cop, nothing will get you there faster than just being a local cop.
>>
>>30947505
Doesn't matter what you put on your branch wish list if you're active duty. You won't get it.
>>
>>30948535
>What kind of work T-shirts do you use/get?

Duke

>Can someone post a picture of the packaging or the brand name? Does the clothing distribution still come from the DSCP?

Only the terrible shirts go through DSCP. You don't want those. Spend a couple bucks more and get the Duke shirts, they're worth it.

https://www.dukeathletic-tactical.com

>Also, how do you like the riggers belts compared to the old canvas?

I think riggers belts are expensive and heavy for no good reason. Virtually no one needs them.
>>
>>30958882
The players in the special bands are automatically promoted to E-6.
>>
>>30957512
Thanks. I'm going in open mechanical; just want to get the least shitty. I think I'm going to try back shop. 2A7X1 seems pretty good.
>>
How hard is the 12K mos to get? I have no shop experience or knowledge but could probably ace the ASVAB, standardized tests are my bread and butter.
>>
>>30946364
As someone who actually served in Army intel:

Do not lie on your SF86.
Do not lie on your enlistment form.

Matter of fact, try not to lie in general. You're pre-boot. You've earned nothing, and the the SNCOs who will be receiving you - the people who can end your career before it begins with only a pen - the last thing they want is a civilian trying to get in lying to their face.

If you want to have any kind of career in government after military service, do not lie on your enlistment or clearance paperwork.
>>
>>30956374
On this topic, I've seen this varies by shop. Some are extremely busy. Some are not. Some allow servicemembers to do homework while at work. Some do not. Don't bank on being able to double dip.
>>
15u

I did good yeah?
>>
>>30963113
Yeah. Aviation is okay. It's not as cushy as intel, but almost as retarded as infantry. Wheeler AAF and Hunter AAF are pretty nice. Maybe you'll go there? Lots of spots overseas, too.
>>
>>30956660
You can try; but remember you'll be up against people with a better background than you, and as an employer who would you rather take?
>>
>>30956660
I went through Basic with a guy who claimed to be bipolar. He was hilarious or scary depending on the time of day. He washed out, but I don't think he was taking meds.

You should work as hard as you can to correct the record for yourself.
>>
>>30962615
Metal shop seems decent, but I don't think you get any choice as open mech.
>>
>>30963721
The Air force gives me a list when i'm in basic of the jobs available. I'd only get to pick jobs that the school starts near the end of basic and are in the mechanical field.
>>
>>30962668
there were literal retards at my BCT with 12K and 12N so it cant be that hard. like 40ish asvab and stupid, 88M tier
>>
>>30963822
What's a "average" asvab score? What's "high"?
>>
>>30963914
id say 65-85 (there's a lot of non booksmart kids that take it) is average and above 95 is high
>>
>>30963914

Technically the AFQT score is a percentile score, so 50 should be average.

Realistically, the very low end of the scale are less likely to take the test at all and can't join the military, so the average for serious candidates is probably in the 60s.
>>
>>30963805
In that case, looking at the newer AFSCs (I haven't been flightline since 2003), you want to avoid these like the plague:
2A3XX Avionics Systems
2A5XX Aerospace Maintenance (except EW, which used to be decent)
2A6X1 Aerospace Propulsion
2A6X5 Aircraft Hydraulic Systems
2A6X6 Aircraft Electrical and Environmental Systems

These are the career fields that are on the flightline all the time. These are the career fields that fall directly under the pro super's thumb and get fucked.
>>
>>30963914
at my bct, between 30 and 60 was normal, at my AIT its all 80-99
my basic was intel, artillery, and truck drivers, my ait is all intel
>>
>>30946364
And 68w's lurking? What's AIT like? Are 68w's generally older? I'm 18 and I feel like most of the people my age went for combat arms or got stuck being 88m and 92g cuz they just wanted to join
>>
>>30964212
Also what's the rule about bringing books to basic? I have an emt book that I'm studying. Will they make me throw it away?
>>
>>30964759
>Also what's the rule about bringing books to basic
Dont you think youll have enough going on? When exactly do you imagine youll have free time to just casually read?
>>
>>30964038
Thanks. I'm trying not to get fucked and this is the answer I needed. I don't even mind shit work, I just want enough time to get my BA degree and not live on the flightline. What did you do?
>>
>>30946364
Qt grill
>>
>>30964959
Don't you get an hour to yourself to write letters? And also Sunday's are more lax?
>>
>>30966094
In navy boot when i went through yes sunday mornings were more lax, but you still dont wanna read. We used to take a long ass relaxing shower
>navy gay hur dur
you have to anyway, on sundays they used to give us this special gel scrub to prevent fungus spreading or some shit.
Polish your boots and study your training guide or blue jacket manual. Plus literally just spacing out and relaxing and talking with other people. Its only a few hours you dont wanna waste it reading another book. Plus when i went through in 2010 you stripped naked when you got there and sent everything on you back home in a box. So we definitely couldnt keep some random book even if we wanted to.
>>
File: Belt02.png (957KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Belt02.png
957KB, 800x600px
>>30962191
>Duke

Thanks for answering my questions Anon, I almost gave up.

The reason I said DSCP is because the BVDs are pretty nice.

What belt do you like?

When I say "riggers" belts I mean pic related.
I don't mean those with cobra buckles.

Besides the weight and price how are the cobra buckle units though?
The Nylon looks pretty thin. Would they be able to support hook suspenders?
>>
>>30966762

Army doesn't get stripped, and is sometimes allowed to keep a book of military or religious nature.

I'd recommend bringing one, BCT has plenty of downtime.
>>
>>30968007
>Army doesn't get stripped, and is sometimes allowed to keep a book of military or religious nature.
>I'd recommend bringing one, BCT has plenty of downtime.
Wtf is this a joke??? You mean to tell me army bct is easier/softer than the navys?
>>
File: 200.gif (2MB, 450x244px) Image search: [Google]
200.gif
2MB, 450x244px
>>30946364
>>
>>30968065
Relaxin Jackson might be the easiest BCT. I've talked to female Drill Sgts and they said that women had all sorts of things that I couldn't fucking believe. The Drill Sgt said after she got fed up with them, she stole their razors, perfumes, and make up. That place turned twice as nasty.

At OSUT on Benning we were allowed a bible and that was it. They hand them out for free at the church services on Sundays. I would not call that OSUT soft in any way unless you're in the cycles where they're testing how they will be training women.
>>
>>30965145
>What did you do?
I was comm/nav from 1995-2003.

Then I joined the guard (extremely easy to retrain in the guard) and jumped around different comm jobs (3C0, 2E2, RT Trans, Cyber Surety and then back to what is now Cyber Transport).

Things I hated about the flightline:
Not just hard work, but thankless. For all your hard work, you get nothing.
Surrounded by rednecks.
Snow, pouring rain, blazing heat... and still get treated like dogshit.

Long hours of hard work day in and out for years wears you out, so at the end of the day, you're not going to want to do a bunch of school. I didn't even start on my degree until I got off the flightline. Now have a CompSci BS.
>>
>>30968254
It always depends on the company and cycle. My BCT in Action Jackson was hell. Ya we got to see all those other companies have an easy time. We WERE allowed to keep one book, we just never had a single moment to read. Never got a single minute of personal time my entire basic and only two 5 minute phone calls
>>
Fort Jackson

What should I expect?
>>
Anyone here get an ortho consult at MEPS? Just wondering how it goes
>>
>>30951637
Boiiiii you got no idea..
>>
>>30968696
>>30968254
my AIT has a mix of kids from sill, jackson, and benning, here's what I've noticed
sill has great dicipline but shitty PT. we are great marchers, know a lot about dos and donts with rank, courtesies and customs, etc. but we are absolute shit with running and PT in general
benning i expected to be the most squared away bunch, but in actuality ALL they are good at is PT, they suck at everything else. can't march, dont know shit about customs courtesies or rank other than sgts, and they're generally just super fucking moto all the time
jackson is trash, those guys can run, that's about it. no dicipline, cant march, dont even know the most common cadences, shit PT, always late etc

just my two cents
>>
>>30968471
Shit. Cyber Transport, System Ops, and Surety are the jobs i wanted. I'm still waiting to see if a job opens up but after talking to the other trainees in DEP who've been there longer than me, i should feel lucky for having a job at all.
>>
Talking to AF recruiter next week about OCS with career in Intel. What amount of drug use will DQ me?
>>
Anyone know how hard it is to get an age waver for flight school, I was reading navy max age is 26.5 for starting flight school, I'll be 28 by the time I have my 4 year.
>>
>>30970104
Sill sounds like fort Chill
>>
>>30952024
Maybe un the grunts but everyone else i know goes to community or online. Even victory units when they arent deployed can take a clep
>>
>>30970375
Well, if you get tired of whatever ADAF gives you, there's always the guard, though many units are scarce on AGR (full time) billets and promotion can be a bitch.
>>
>>30970624
Thanks, I think that's something I'll do if I'm not happy where I'm at when I get out. Promotions and pay aren't even anything I'm concerned about, training, school, and experience are all I care about. Any other advice about making the most of it?
>>
>>30970505
There's no general answer, but it typically experimental pot when you were young is about as far as they'll look the other way
>>
>>30970978
Will drug use come up in a poly for TS?
>>
>>30971028
That's not how polygraphs work. You don't get one "for" a TS. You may get one after getting a TS, for certain projects.

The answer is yes, though, depending on what you get into.

Either way, if whether it will come up on a polygraph influences whether you're going to tell the truth, don't even bother joining.
>>
>>30971085
the pastebin said to lie, dummy.
>>
>>30971110
BRB editing the pastebin to tell you to off yourself.

95%+ of people in the military never get a polygraph. Stop listening to dumbass combat arms vets about how they were high when they went to MEPS in 2007 and it was totally fine. Different time, different job. They don't know what they're talking about.
>>
>>30971085
I wouldn't lie during a poly. That would be retarded. I've heard from others that lifestyle questions aren't typically asked in the Air Force for Top Secret clearance, just thought I'd ask here.
>>
>>30971144
thanks for your insights. have a nice day.
>>
>>30970710
The biggest mistake I made in life was starting out on the flightline. If it hadn't been for that, I would've retired years ago (I did years of weekend-only time as guard after retraining to comm).
>>
>>30971028
>Will drug use come up in a poly for TS?
Not for a CI poly.
>>
>>30946568
Just join Canada's military. US military is massively cucked and everyone's morale is shit.
>>
>>30947146
You don't have health insurance and don't remember the last time you went to dr because you never get sick.
>>
>>30947635
Get drunk as fuck friday night so you're killer hungover sat, drink energy drink and don't sleep sat night. Some 20 year old cunt will yell at you and have you stand at parade rest.
>>
>>30950025
Yes.
>>
>>30946364
What are the chances of me getting a waiver to join the Air Force if I took a knife to school when I was a kid? I was only charged never convicted of anything. I heard they need pilots pretty badly and I'm almost out of college.
>>
>>30950077
I got it from kickass (RIP)
>>
>>30951562
>Rangers
They are on a spectrum but not the special operations spectrum
>>
>>30951769
RN is a 4 year degree, an AS in nursing is literally worthless.
>>
>>30954067
Worry about not being an hero first.
>>
>>30954686
>the no food or drink for 12 hours challenge
Wat? they don't do fasting blood test at meps dipshit.
>>
>>30954805
Chaplain, nigger.
>>
>>30956660
Its a long shot to get a waiver for that but worth a try.
>>
>>30957815
dress or service uniform allowed, not working/battle uniforms or whatever the camo ones are called.
>>
>>30958882
most have masters/doctorate degrees from top music programs.
>>
>>30951792
That easy?
One million thank yous my brother,may Allah guide you in your travels.
>>
>>30964759
Can bring small bible/koran/book of mormon.
>>
>>30968065
>army bct is easier/softer than the navys?
PT is harder but in every other way is much easier than Navy.
>>
>>30971028
no poly are bs anyway
>>
>>30966941
I think it's all down to the quality of the belt rather than what it's called. Obviously a $50 belt is going to be sturdier than the $8 issue belts. I have a Blackhawk belt without a cobra buckle and it's aight. A lot thicker than the standard belts, which means that it can actually hold up a holster without falling to shit.

>The reason I said DSCP is because the BVDs are pretty nice.

The brown thunders? Those things are awful.
>>
>>30972311
How much was your BH belt?
Is that what you always use?

>The brown thunders?
Yeah, I liked them. What don't you like about them?
>>
Ok hey guys, question about the IST

Currently in the DEP and I'll ship out in February. I took my second IST today and I cut my run time down by a full minute ( from 15 to 14, terrible, I know ) but I still lost a minute at least by walking.

I'm really just a terrible fucking runner I actually collapsed when I finished, took me a minute or so to get back up and stop being such a bitch. But seriously I need to cut my run time down by a lot. I'm fine on every other part of the IST but I'm shitty at running. Got any tips?

> inb4 hurr durr just run faggot

That's not what I'm asking. I'd like to know if there's some sort of routine or technique I should use to improve my endurance and speed consecutively.
>>
>>30970513
yes, our battery was afraid of heat casualties all summer so they cancelled a lot of PT and runs. they set us up for failure, really, because we do a lot of running and PT in AIT lol
>>
> leave in 30 days
> finally get gf

How FUCKED am I?
>>
>>30973915
You mean how KEKED
>>
File: 1445441043716.png (820KB, 1280x534px) Image search: [Google]
1445441043716.png
820KB, 1280x534px
Hey /meg/ I leave for PI next month, I passed validation yesterday AND the IST they had at the pool function today. I want to soak up as much advice as possible. I'm going to follow the Sgt. Major's advice and volunteer as much as possible so the DI's are sick of seeing my face and leave me alone, but I'm also going to keep under the radar and just conform with everyone else. Any other advice?
>>30972928
just run faggot.
seriously. Land on the balls of your feet, wear decent shoes, and work on your breathing.
AND DON'T EVER FUCKING WALK.
Even if it's just a shuffle, you keep running. That's the only way to improve your cardio. If you shuffle or jog when you're tired, you'll miss the passing time by seconds instead of minutes. There is a girl at my station who has been in the DEP for months and still runs 18 minute IST runs. It pisses me the hell off.
>>30973915
Jody doesn't wait until you're a marine to steal your girl.
>>
USAF enlisted aircrew here. Former C-17 loadmaster, current Special Missions Aviator in initial qual training for my new aircraft. Any questions about these jobs or Air Force in general, I'm here.
>>
>>30974467
Hello, yes.
Did you join the Air Force and as a follow-up what color should I paint my room?
>>
>>30952420
have accounting degree by the way
>>
>>30961077
WRONG military experience is what they want
>>
>>30972249
Honestly that sounds pretty good. Id rather workout harder but do less gay shit overall.
>>
>>30974780

Being a cop is entry level, anon. You don't need 3-5 years of military service to get an entry level job.
>>
>>30974467
Did you enjoy 344th as much as I did
>>
Who fort bragg here?
>>
So when does MEPS call your references? Before or during boot camp?
>>
>>30975661
I'm getting my airborne physical and taking my PT record in the next couple of weeks to drop my airborne packet, so me in the next couple of months, hopefully
>>
>>30975661
2nd bde 325 on Ardennes
>>
File: 1469901270658.gif (492KB, 314x144px) Image search: [Google]
1469901270658.gif
492KB, 314x144px
>>30946364
Calling all ARMY
This may seem like a weird question but bare with me. I was in the Navy and have a comparison question,

Do people in the Army stand duty or watch?

That was easily one of the worst parts about being in the navy and on a ship and i was wondering if people in the army go through the same thing.
>>
QUICK REMINDER

90% of suicide cases in the U.S. military are committed by POGs

Non-combat arms are the mental cases, while combat arms is well adjusted.

http://www.wbtv.com/story/32237685/mental-health-questions-arise-after-suicide-of-two-ncbc-sailors
>>
File: free shrugs.jpg (34KB, 449x642px) Image search: [Google]
free shrugs.jpg
34KB, 449x642px
>>30977225
Quick reminder: the Army has the highest rate amongst the branches.
>>
>>30977174

It's called being on "duty" in the Army. You're usually put on a roster and serve one day on CQ or Staff Duty duty every month or two.
>>
>>30977225

Surely this has nothing to do with the fact that most people in the military (by far) are POGs.
>>
>>30977448
Is that it? Is it hard or annoying at all? Christ i had duty every 6 days stateside and on deployment every 3 days in port. Guaranteed at least one 5 hour watch plus loads of other bullshit.
>>
>>30946398
Talk to them about it. See what they say. Request anyone you'd be talking to
Not too say anything if they pass. That's the best advise I can give you.

When I was at boot, I told my family NOT to wright me at all. It would only make me miss home more.

Not to be a cunt, but in your journey from boy to man, you'll grow colder as a person and it will make it a little easier. Keep your head high, anon, and always follow your dreams.

Semper fi. Carry on.
>>
>>30977225
This is like saying white people commit the most crimes. Who gives a shit? Look at the rates.
>>
>>30977532

You're basically guarding a phone.

Keep in mind Army folks get put on "detail" too, that's random non-job duties that can get assigned to anyone. That can be as short as "sweep this hallway" or as long as "go be a gate guard for two months".
>>
>>30977782
>Keep in mind Army folks get put on "detail" too
Well see thats my point, i had no idea. I dont even know what the hell that is or how it works since we dont have it i the navy. Anymore info you can share on how that works?
>>
>>30977839

Like I said, being "on detail" encompasses pretty much every random extra assignment. Some people will spend most of their careers on detail (especially those without garrison duties), and some people will hardly ever do one.
>>
>>30977933
>especially those without garrison duties
What the hell is that now?
Bro you gotta realize the navy is completely different. You are basically talking to a child right now, it seems obvious to you but i have no idea what these things are.

So basically while you are stateside you get sent on these "details" which are like general base assignments that they whore out to people?

If you arent on "detail" what else would you be doing? Just bullshitting all day?
>>
File: 1445647708148.gif (223KB, 256x170px) Image search: [Google]
1445647708148.gif
223KB, 256x170px
Shipping out in about a month for Army BCT.

Not gonna lie /meg/. The hardest part is not being able to smoke weed for at least the next three years. Anyone else know that feel?

>inb4 hippie degenerate, where I live nerds, hippies, rednecks, liberals and conservatives all smoke weed
>>
>>30977970

>If you arent on "detail" what else would you be doing? Just bullshitting all day?

Depends on your job. If you have one that can actually work without being deployed, you do your job most of the time. If you have one that can't work while deployed, it's usually like 20 % "training" (PT, setting up equipment, going out to the field), 50 % sitting/standing around waiting for something to happen, and 30 % details (cleaning shit, mostly).

There's a fuckload of downtime in peacetime Army. A lot of the time details are more to keep soldiers busy than actually accomplish a task. "Go pick up trash for five hours" actually means "disappear and don't get in trouble". That's when you head back to the barracks to play Xbox.
>>
>>30977998
Everyone smokes weed, anyway if you cant give it up then yes you are a degenerate.
>>30978009
Ok all that makes sense now thank you. Typical military bullshit just with a different name than we had. It sounds way better to me than navy duty though. We had to bullshit and waste time in the same way except we are stuck on a ship doing it.

When you are on detail are you temporarily attached to that detail so to speak or do you still report back to your Unit or whatever at the end of every day? Also do these details reflect on you in a positive light in any way? Like if you volunteer or something will it look good or just make you look like a try hard faggot? Are any of them actually cool and fun?
>>
>>30971985
Who the fuck told you they need pilots?

The Military is facing some cutbacks right now, pilot training is lengthy and expensive as shit.
>>
>>30955514
Civil affairs reserve always go to africa. Why do you want to go to africa?
>>
>>30978803
It's been in the news. All over the place. The air force is short 700 pilots.
>>
>>30962276
I never looked up the 48g mos and it's an officer's position? How do you get into 48g? Do you have to be like o-3 promotable to qualify? And how does it compare to a civil affairs officer?
>>
>>30952261
What it mean
>>
Trying to re enlist with an RE-3P

Either I can spend a few months trying to get back into the Marines, or I can do some paperwork and ship out with the National Guard within two months.

Probably a 50% chance to leave with the Marines and a 99% chance to leave with the Nasty Gurls.

I feel like there is no right choice in this situation
>>
>>30975494
More than you did. A guy fell off the roof when I was on CQ there.
>>
File: 1309363970112.jpg (87KB, 953x950px) Image search: [Google]
1309363970112.jpg
87KB, 953x950px
I want to become a private contractor but first i need experience.
>What's the best branch to be a reserve in for that kind of job eventually?
(I won't enlist in the military full on because I like being able yo lucre where I chose)
>>
>>30972007
>>>30951562
>>Rangers
>They are on a spectrum but not the special operations spectrum
Then how is Airborne the minimum requirement for Special operations? Gtfo if you don't know what you talking bout boi
>>
I just took a practice advancement exam. Is 101/175 good for a first try at it?
>>
>>30980218

I should say for Navy EM
>>
>>30979818

Since most contractors are IT guys and shit, your best bet would be to get something with a clearance and access to some kind of computer or office worker training.
>>
File: 1303099026486.jpg (30KB, 319x418px) Image search: [Google]
1303099026486.jpg
30KB, 319x418px
How does one go about mailing things to deployed people, anyhow?

I've got a buddy over in yonder desert I've known since middle school, and I'd like to surprise them with some snacks and shit from home.
>>
>>30980629

they have an address depending on the location. my ship has it's own address and it'll get to me even if we are underway and not in homeport.
>>
>>30980645
Is there any way I could acquire that without them knowing about it, so it's a delightful surprise that comes out of the blue as opposed to something they're waiting who-knows-how-long for?
>>
>>30980629
They have access to everything - including the whole line up of Amazon.com. You sending them candy and shit would be like sending your next door neighbor candy.

They don't need anything except personal letters or video messages.
>>
>>30980666
>They have access to everything - including the whole line up of Amazon.com.
When I went to Colombia a few years back, I about ran out of food that I brought with me (there wasn't a commissary or chow hall, just local businesses) because my stay was extended. Amazon and Walmart were perfect for getting plenty of food I was used to (mostly Lipton/Knorr Rice & Noodles).
>>
>>30976184
I'm still in reception but I'm gong to the 525th
>>
>>30979818
Reserve won't give you enough experience to make much more than min wage.
>>
>>30978969
Most officers basically just are office managers and there's not much difference between MOS.
>>
>>30975758
Never.
>>
>>30972075
This, but there's a pretty good chance he'll get the DQ for it in Great Lakes, those docs up there drop bodies with the medical exams
>>
>>30982167
DQ for what?
>>
>>30977448
Army is easy mode in military confirmed. Even coasties get confined to the boat for duty, you guys are never at work
>>
is anyone else completely shocked at how fucking nerdy the army is? i went in expecting a bunch of GI joes, but its mostly pokemon, magic the gathering, dungeons and dragons etc etc. /meg/ you didn't prepare me for this
>>
>>30982401
You forgot the furries and bronies.
>>
>>30982415
I've yet to meet those yet, maybe they hide it well. I'm on a joint base with army navy marines air force and like 4 coast guard, I'm sure I'll see them soon enough if they're here.

and air force girls are so hot, wtf
>>
>>30978803
http://www.airforcetimes.com/story/military/2016/07/18/air-force-leaders-plan-incentives-fix-fighter-pilot-shortage/87245740/
>>
>>30982460
You at goodfellow for training boy?
>>
If I had a hairline fracture on my forearm when I was 12, will MEPS find out about it through x-ray?
>>
>>30982519
How the fuck should we know you retard? Are we doctors? do we know what your fracture looks like now and if it's visible?
Did you report it to your recruiter or not? I don't remember being X-rayd at MEPS so you'd probably be fine but good fuck dude
>>
>>30982533
easy man, just didn't know if MEPS x-rays everyone regardless of what was reported.
>>
>>30982489
:^)
>>
>>30982519
the only time you'll get an xray is if you get hurt at basic or ait and they have to xray you.
you will not get xrayed at MEPS
>>
>>30982401

This is all up to where you are. Joint commands with all of the branches in one place tend to be focused on Intelligence field jobs. Unsurprisingly, those kinds of jobs attract hordes of autists.

The secret truth about facial hair standards in the US military is a good 20 % of people would probably have neckbeards if allowed.
>>
I have a peanut allergy, how fucked am I if I try to join the Air Force under space systems operations?
>>
>>30982070
My co worker washed out of the navy and yet he still got to be a contractor. He had a connection with someone in the company but I know him & another contractor so I'm hoping they're gonna be connections I can use. The important part is being accurate af is what co worker told me. So in terms of shooting precision, is any branch better than the other for that?
>>
>>30982848
I'm not a rocket scientist like you but I would avoid peanuts.
>>
>>30982832
lots of Top Gun staches at my base, it doesn't look as cool as they think it does
the px/bx has a comicbook/card shop with friday night magic, across from a gnc and fitness smoothie bar. you're either a barrel chested freedom fighter or a magic the gathering nerd here, no real in-between
>>
>>30982869
Fucking christ nobody is going to hire you as a designated marksman with a few months of training and 2 week ATs. The best you could get is armed security at a secured location checking IDs all day.
>>
>>30982869

A good 80 % of the guys I served with are now contractors. None of them were particularly good shooters, and most of them are fat now.

You might want to rethink what it means to be a contractor. It's mostly support roles.
>>
Is this a good workout? I plan on doing this every other day w/ a cutting diet
I'm 6'0 and 215 pounds.

I plan on joining the Coast guard later in the year, which should give me plenty of time to chop the fat off.
I'm hoping this will help me increase all around strength/endurance.

Stretch
Intervals
15 tight pushups (chest to ground or to fist sized object)
If burned out on pushups before at 10 sets, begin going on knees.
6 inch leg raise for 45 seconds
Repeat pushups
Flutterkicks for 30 seconds -4 count
Repeat pushups
Forward plank for 60 seconds
Repeat pushups
Regular plank for 60 seconds.
Repeat till burnout on ALL exercizes.
Rest at 10 sets for 1 minute and then continue

Boulder shoulders: 3 sets of 12
Dumbell curls:
3 sets of 12
Sun worshippers: 3 sets of 60 seconds -4 count
Lateral raises: 3 sets of 12
Bat wings: 3 sets of 12, hold for 10 seconds.
Stretch

Stretch
Running
Run 1 mile
Rest 2 minutes
Sprintervals for half mile
First quarter mile:
Walk curves, sprint straights.
Second quarter:
Duck walk curves, sprint straights.
Walk 1 lap for cool down.
>>
File: 1465026348861.jpg (225KB, 698x960px) Image search: [Google]
1465026348861.jpg
225KB, 698x960px
>>30983360
bro this is way too complicated.

just do stronglifts 5x5 - every other day,

push ups, sit ups, C25K - off days (the days you don't stronglifts)

cut one meal from what you currently consume daily, replace it with a protein shake with one scoop of whey.

you're pretty big, so diet is the most important part to losing weight.
>>
>>30982070
>Reserve won't give you enough experience to make much more than min wage.
That's why you get a degree to go with your skill (and you pick a job that actually involves skills that are valuable in the real world).
>>
>>30983360
wtf dude. do a shitload of pushups and situps, do 60/120s every other day, jog as far a you can (doesn't matter how fast you go, just go for distance) on the opposite days.
if you can do 70 pushups and 70 situps and do a sub14 2 mile, and can run 4-5 miles at a 10 minute mile pace, you will be considered a PT stud. its all about the final PT test, nothing else matters.
also, eat a lot at BCT. don't buy into that "go green" shit, because you'll lose fat AND muscle. you need every calorie and gram of protein they'll give you. instead of lettuce get spinach. instead of mashed potatoes get broccoli. instead of a snack or cookie get trail mix. eat the whole MRE, even the junk food. drink a whole canteen before bed every night. refill your camelbak 2-3 times a day. use salt on everything
>>
>>30983605
>30982869 wants a degree in kebab removal.
>>
>>30983484
Also, would cutting dinner for a brotein shake after PT be good like you suggested?

>>30983698
I'm capable of running a 7 minute mile but it ends up being 8:30, my first half mile is usually 3:15-3:30 ish. Endurance fucks me up a majority of the time.

Could you guys help me reform my shit?
I get what you're both saying, just have good upper body strength/running. But what about pulling muscles? Its not as important in the CG as it in say, the Marines or whatever, but Wouldn't my plan help me just like what you're both suggesting?

Right now what I'm looking at is this:
Every other day:
Stronglifts 5x5
60/120's
Cool down jog of 1 mile

Off days:
20 pushups
Leg raise for 1 min
20 pushups
Plank for 1 min
15-20 pushups
Flutterkicks for 1 min
Sit ups for 1 min, at least 40 per minute pace.

Still too much?
>>
>>30982730
Kek. I was Air Force. Lots of hot ladies. Right after I left, like I mean a week or two, they integrated the AF dorms so now make and female rooms are next door and you. Can have females in your room as long as the door is open.

Heard it's a fuck fest now
>>
>>30984046
this topic is useless without pics!
>>
>>30984046
yeah we have mixed dorms now, by branch. there's some cute girls in my building from a different company. the door open rule must be for AF because my sgt said we'd get art15 just for knocking on a female door lol. i could be wrong because i'm new and haven't figured out the rules yet
>>
I fucked up and got suspended from my uni, I'm thinking of joining the air force?

Any tips?
>>
>>30984415

Get a job you want. If the Air Force won't give it to you, go elsewhere. Being in the Air Force with a job you hate is not better than being in another branch with the job you want.
>>
>>30984549
Is there a page somewhere with all enlisted jobs?

Also, do I have to be an officer to be a pilot? Not my first choice, but at least I'll learn something
>>
>>30984581
>Is there a page somewhere with all enlisted jobs?

Literally the Air Force website.
>>
>>30984581

You can check out the Air Force website, or just Google around. The other services have sites that list out jobs too.

Pilots in the Air Force are all commissioned officers. If that's the route you want to take, you need to get back into school ASAP and probably look into AFROTC.
>>
>>30984581
>Also, do I have to be an officer to be a pilot?
Yes, but not in the army. You can become a warrant and fly choppers.
>>30984046
>>30984078
>>30984321
You guys are still green if you think this is a good idea. They arent as hot as you think they are and it def aint worth it. Never never never fuck with military girls. Way safer just to take your chances off base.
>>
>>30984657
>>30984659
>>30984664
thanks guys

how long after taking oath will I ship out to BMT? Because I really won't have a place to live for too long
>>
>>30984700
Case by case basis, i knew people in the navy who left 2 weeks later and others who had to wait 10 months.
>>
>>30984700

Air Force generally takes a while. Could be 6+ months. If you want to ship as fast as possible, it usually means compromising on job choice.
>>
>>30984727
>>30984763
Is there like a sign on bonus of some sort?

Becuase I wouldn't have money to survive for 6 months as it is now
>>
>>30984794
Bro again, case by case basis. And you wouldnt get it right then anyway.
Everything in the military is a case by case basis. Also sounds like you didnt think this through.
>>
Now that females can join combat roles are there alot of them in infantry?
>>
>>30984873

No, I'm pretty sure they're waiting for a lot more of them to sign up before they start actually pushing them through training en masse. Much less issues if you do a training cycle of infantrypersyns that is one-third female as opposed to 99% dudes and one girl.
>>
File: Marine Liaison.jpg (490KB, 2231x1350px) Image search: [Google]
Marine Liaison.jpg
490KB, 2231x1350px
>Well anon the contract is drafted, all that's left is the interview. See, I put in your social security into our social media database, and it seems you post a lot on this site called... 4chan. What is a trap, anon?
post your pokerface, /k/
>>
File: Right Arm of the Forbidden One.png (207KB, 338x498px) Image search: [Google]
Right Arm of the Forbidden One.png
207KB, 338x498px
>>30985481
>>
>>30984794
go to the air force. ask to leave asap. they need maintainers
>>
Can someone explain how student loans work?

I served for 5 years, I'm thinking about going to Flight School. Which costs $75,000 and I'm just curious how student loans work so I can go?
>>
>>30985573
what's a maintener do?
>>
>>30985779

Maintains
>>
>>30985865
Goddamnit, at least tell me what they maintain
>>
>>30984794
Navy seal and nukes are about the only things that give signing bonus now.
>>
>>30985938

Kek, I wasn't the guy you asked.

But, I dunno nigger. It's mechanic work. So if you're a F-15 maintainer. You work on those sexy ass birds
>>
>>30985691
/k/ isn't your personal VA didn't they brief you on this when you were in?
>>
>>30986026

I'm just asking about how student loans work? It doesn't have anything to do with the VA.

I'm asking here because there is a shit load of college kids in these threads.
>>
>>30986055
Just walk up to the bank and be yourself
If you can get federal loans that would be nice, apply to FASFA and shit dunno if they cover flight school but they might depending on your income.
>>
>>30986202

Ok, I hope so. I have a great credit score if that matters. Because I know they don't take the GI Bill. So I need to take a $75,000 loan
>>
>>30984664
Na bro I've been in over two tears now. Live off base. AF girls are hot. Lots of cuties. Sure there are some troglodytes and bull dykes but overwhelmingly cute
>>
File: edd.png (290KB, 600x361px) Image search: [Google]
edd.png
290KB, 600x361px
>>30985691
Did you already use GI bill or get pic related for raping a Filipina?
>>
File: flightschool.jpg (52KB, 288x220px) Image search: [Google]
flightschool.jpg
52KB, 288x220px
>>30986228
You know post911 and montgommery are 2 different things?
>>
>>30983992
>would cutting dinner for a brotein shake after PT be good like you suggested?
Absolutely. Protein shake after a work-out is research backed to produce great results in gains and recovery.

As for your routine it looks good, but I would put 60/120s and mile long jog into your Off days. StrongLifts has squats every work-out, your legs will be beat if you intend to run afterwards.

Make sure you learn proper form and always do full range of motion, if you can't finish a rep properly you need to lower the weight to make progress.
>>
>>30986530
>>30986562

GI Bill will not cover Flight Training unless you go through a degree oriented program. Even the Montgomery won't. It only will cover the testing certifications. Not the training.
>>
>>30986530

I have 31 months remaining of the GI Bill. But college was shitty as fuck. And I don't want to go back. It was really depressing
>>
>>30986719

There you have it, folks. You can give vets all the resources in the world, but a certain percentage just don't want to use them.
>>
>>30986430
>Na bro I've been in over two tears now
wow over 2 whole years

>>30986430
>AF girls are hot. Lots of cuties
Still, dont shit where you eat. Im telling you ive seen it come back and bite people in the ass big time. Maybe when you are young and a low rank you can get away with it but later in your career you are gonna want to stop that.
>>
>>30986764

I didn't join the benefits
>>
>>30986818

*for
>>
>>30985779
its not fun. working on planes.
>>
>>30985691
>Can someone explain how student loans work?
Damn nigga, you extra dumb.
>>
I'm trying to enlist but they say my trade is already full.
Waiting is hell
>>
>>30986764
At least this guy knows his limitations. Most idiots are so stupid, they go to college like it's a ticket to riches, not realizing that they aren't cut out for anything that actually requires thinking and that even if they get a degree, nobody wants to hire their dumb ass.
>>
>>30988146
Imagine having your leg blown off.
>>
>>30988159
And then get sweet disability bucks?
Sounds good.

Besides, what I'm going for, I'd never be in a position to be in bodily harm.
Only psych harm and I'm already an alcoholic. So what more can they do to me?
>>
>>30988151

Thanks for the support brother. I hated college, it's not a good fit for me. I had a bad time there
>>
>>30986613
Okay so more like this;
Stronglifts 5x5

Off days:
20 pushups
Leg raise for 1 min
20 pushups
Plank for 1 min
15-20 pushups
Flutterkicks for 1 min
Sit ups for 1 min, at least 40 per minute pace.
(Above set is done twice)
60/120's
Cool down jog of 1 mile

Im most likely going to adjust once I do a test on how many of what I can do in one go/how fast I can run before pussying out.
Should I implement something else to help with pulling muscle or will stronglifts cover that?
>>
>>30988338
What's a "strong lift"?
I can do the rest of what you say, but that's the thing I don't know.

And you should increase "Plank for one minute" to at least 1:20. I could do 1 minute of planking when I was a flabby piece of shit.
>>
Hey /k/ so I'm seriously considering enlisting in the armed forces after getting my bachelor's degree, what do y'all think would be my best option if I wanted to go the medic route?
>>
>>30988381

US Coast Guard
>>
>>30988403
Why coast guard?
>>
>>30988372
stronglifts 5x5 is a group of exercises designed to cover major muscle groups. Just google image that shit. Lotta diagrams.
>>
>>30988458
Ok cool.
I do that in my routine anyways, just not in that name.

Though one handed rows seem better than barbell rows. Due the lack of pressure on the back.
>>
>>30988410
Coast guard or Navy, best branches Medical. Now if you're saying combat Med, Army. Navy/CG can possibly fuck you over and have you never seeing combat.

Navy/CG will help you in the post military life for medical fields as Corpsman/HST is Nurse and up training while Army is EMT-B/EMT-P depending on MOS.
>>
>>30988495
Am I still talking to the same person from before or is this another bro-anon whose helping?
Eitherway, would it be overkill to implement burpees in my routine as opposed to regular pushups? Like sets of 10 before planking or whatever.
>>
>>30988502
What would be the difference between Navy and CG? Also do you think there's a way I can see combat and still get that med training for post military life?
>>
>>30986613
>Absolutely. Protein shake after a work-out is research backed to produce great results in gains and recovery.
Bro science 101, it cant hurt but it isnt going to help all that much.>>30988495
>Due the lack of pressure on the back.
wtf?
>>30988523
Bro wtf are you trying to do? Whats your goal? Where are you atm in terms of fitness/strength? If you are still doing sL5x5 you are most likely still pretty weak no offense.
>>
>>30988523
I asked what strong-lifts were, so maybe I'm who you asked?

In any case, I'd do burpees on the off days where you can't get to the gym and just want to work out at home.

At the gym, you can work the muscles that burpees do but on a better level.
Why do squat jumps when you can do barbell squats?
Why do push ups when you can do bench press?

Honestly, so long as you're doing something, you're making headway, but I like free weights at the gym because it really pushes you.
>>
>>30988563
>Also do you think there's a way I can see combat
What do you mean? You mean actually shoot people? Cause that will never happen in those branches unless you go Seal. If you mean support SF though you could go Navy and become a spec ops medic.
>>
>>30988590
Well I meant combat in any branch and still get good med training, but I guess that's a no for Navy/CG
>>
>>30988563

Navy and Coast Guard is similar in a sense. Lots of travel, sea life. The main difference is the USCG has multiple missions, USCG does life saving, sea-way navigation, drug interdiction, as well as National Defense during times of war.

The Navy's primary role is National Defense.

It is possible to be in a combat theater with either of those branches. The Navy and Coast Guard have field hospitals they set up on shore to treat wounded. Or you could work aboard a ship in hostile waters as well
>>
>>30988574
>>Due the lack of pressure on the back.
>wtf?
If you're slightly off balance the weight of the barbell isn't on your lats but on your back and that can lead to injury.
With one handed rows, you have your body supported so the only muscles activated are your lats.
>>
>>30988611
So just to be clear, the best shot I have of getting good med training is being a sailor?
>>
>>30988574
I'm 6'0, 215 pounds, run a 8-9 min mile but start at a 7 minute pace because endurance is bad. I'm just trying to lose weight, decrease mile time, be able to do at least 5 pull ups, and increase strength all around.
>>
>>30988609
Navy has SARC,
Army has SOCM, 18D
Coast guard has nothing.
All will give you Paramedic level training/certification.
Navy Hospital Corpsman/Certain Army 68X MOS's/billets will help you with hospital trainings in the civvie world.
>>
>>30988609
>Well I meant combat in any branch
Again, if you mean actually shooting people then the only thing for that is army SF 18D. Otherwise you will just be in a support role.

>>30988614
Bro thats the most retarded shit ive ever read.
>If you're slightly off balance the weight of the barbell isn't on your lats but on your back and that can lead to injury.
You could apply that same logic to literally every compound movement. Also what do you mean on your lats? The weight is never "on" your lats. The lats arent used that much in horizaontal rowing movements only in vertical rows aka pull ups. Your upper and mid back are hit far more. Also how the fuck would you loose your balance?
I think you should stop talking about things you clearly dont know anything about.
>>30988649
Ok listen to me, the best way to loose weight is cleaning up your diet not working out.
Which is easier, eating a snickers and coke and then working out or somply not eating the snickers and coke?
Im not saying working out cant help but if you try and go overboard you will rebound and end up worse than you were. Stronglits is a good routine for beginners so id keep that and add in low intensity cardio and core work on days in between and thats it. You dont need more than that in the beginning. 1 hr on a stair master or rowing machine and ab wheel rollouts are all you need in between. At least in the beginning. Just clean up your diet. That should be your main focus by far.
>>
>>30988669
How hard is it to get into Army med training, cause honestly I'm not too excited about being a sailor
>>
>>30988690
I'm cutting all Soda, sweets, junk food from my diet, so far not just completely. I'm going to completely stop tomorrow. I understand where you re coming from, but I've done these intense trainings before and I can handle this shit brah.
>>30988704
Army is the ONLY branch that can guarantee you an MOS once you've qualified for it (physically and on the ASVAB etc) You can talk to a recruiter and get 68W with an Option 40, which can land you as a SOCM. Alternatively you can go Option 4 where you can choose whether or not you want to be an actual ranger medic or just airborne medic. The anon above you is correct though. The only type of Medic's that actually see "combat" are 18D's, SARCS, or SEALS that took the "18D" course.
>>
>>30988704

You could go so medical in the Air Force
>>
>>30988739
>Army is the ONLY branch that can guarantee you an MOS once you've qualified for it
Wrong, the navy gurantees rates as well.

>but I've done these intense trainings before and I can handle this shit brah.
If you can handle it then why did you fall out of it? Plus again if you are still doing SL 5x5 then they cant have been that intense cause thats a barebones beginner program. But still, all that shit you guys were talking about is meme shit. Burpees arent going to do shit for you. You are much better off stick to SL with maybe a few accessories on those days.
For example calves and 1 bicep or tricep excersise. Maybe something for traps. And doing cardio and core in between. With all the benching and OHPing pushups arent going to help in fact theyll probably hurt your progress.
>>
File: rows.jpg (35KB, 839x427px) Image search: [Google]
rows.jpg
35KB, 839x427px
>>30988690
>I think you should stop talking about things you clearly dont know anything about.
Bruh.
I can't believe that I had to draw this for you

When you're doing one handed rows, all the parts of your body that are not active are braced against the bench.

When you do barbell rows, there is nothing to brace you. You've got to use your whole body to hold up the bar.
>>
>>30988786
>When you do barbell rows, there is nothing to brace you. You've got to use your whole body to hold up the bar.
Why is that bad? Its harder for a reason.
Also some people dont do 1 handed rows that way you fucking dyel. You can stand and put 1 arm out on a rack or wall, plus 1 handed t bar rows.

Again why is barbell rowing bad? its supposed to be tough, it works more muscle and allows you to move more weight. Whats the problem?
>>
>>30988779
Yeah, I'm guilty. I've DONE stuff like that before but that doesn't mean I've stuck to it. Its my senior year and I want to put myself on a crash course and get fit. I can't do a pull up, something that will fuck me over in the CG. I just recently attended an ROTC esque camp which kicked back the moto in me. I can do roughly 38-40 situps per minutes and I start tapping out at around 70. I can do 40 pushups at 90 degrees or about 22 chest to ground w/ arms in tight. I just can't run or do pullups and I still have a decent amount of fat on me.

I'm at a loss here now, could ya just map a brief on/off day schedule? Cause I can't make "basic" lists w/o adding more.
>>
Idk I sorta miss navydepper
>>
>>30988779
>Wrong, the navy gurantees rates as well.
Well I'll be damned, maybe I should join them
>>
>>30988819
All I've said is that barbell rows are more prone to injury than one handed rows are.
And it is.

That's all I'm saying.
Barbell rows aren't bad, but if you're just someone starting out (and that's what we're talking about), going first with barbell rows are going to end up with that person hurting their back.
>>
>>30988786
I do it with the dumbell, easier on the shoulders for me anyway
and besides barbell rows are usually done on the same day as DL, in the SS program iirc which can't be good for your lower back, might exhaust it too much leading to lower back issues and bad form
>>
>>30988860
That's because the Navy has a career of living in a shoebox sucking dick.
You go out for years and only come to port to fuck prostitutes.

The Navy of any nations is always desperate because you see civilzation the fewest amount of times.

If you're American, don't be Nuke. Because that's like Navy faggotry amplified to the Nth degree.
>>
>>30988880
>easier on the shoulders for me anyway
I've got really bad shoulders too.
How do you do military presses? Or exercises like that?

One my shoulders sometimes crap out and refuse to lift above my head.
>>
>>30988845
Look man i get where youre coming from
First priority is cleaning up your diet
This will help you loose fat and recover from your workouts.

Stronglifts is a great program, like i said id add in other full body movements. Perhaps pulldowns until you can do pull ups, dips, lunges.
On the days in between do cardio. Shoot for an hour. You want to keep youur heart rate elevated to help increase your Vo2 max. Flexibiliy and mobility should also be a focus. Read the fit sticky to get your footing and additional advice.

>>30988860
Ya i was navy it was fun
>>30988866
You are copletely fucking wrong. SL5x5 is a begineer program and it has barbell rows, deadlifts and squats. Again its fucking meant for beginners. Its not hard at all are you autistic or have you just never lifted before?
>>30988880
wrong
wrong
wrong
SS doesnt even have rows it has PowerCleans
SL has rows on bench day not DL day

>>30988886
Wrong wrong wrong
You see ports every 2-3 weeks. It aint that bad. Plus you only deploy once every 2 years on average and then you go to shore duty and relax

STOP FUCKING GIVING ADVICE IN THESE FUCKING THREADS IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT
>>
>>30988914
>You see ports every 2-3 weeks.
Oh wow.
That sounds sooooo great.
I better sign up for Navy right now.
21 days living in a prison cell? Psh. That's easy.
>>
>>30988848

What happened with him. He finally ship?
>>
>>30988912
side lateral raises have helped, front lateral raise is shit. it helps hit part of the shoulder that's usually underdeveloped
>>30988935
washed out of basic
>>30988914
I don't know why I thought SL had them together. Anyway I think the dude should do both dumbell and barbell.
>>
>>30988932
Sorry i didnt realize you were such a fucking pussy.
What did you expect the military to be like?
Ships these days are extremely nice, televisions, computers, A/C, warm water, gyms. All kinds of shit, it aint as bad as it used to be. PLus traveling the world for free is fun as hell and very worth it. I loved the 4 years i did and i dont regret it one bit.
>>30988954
>Anyway I think the dude should do both dumbell and barbell.
It cant hurt, but again why? He doesnt need to. Instead of doing a 2nd horizontal row he could like i said add in a vertical row. Doing pulldowns/pullups will help him far more than a single arm row would.
>>
>>30988975
So if I join the navy, depending on the ship, I could end up traveling around and still get med shit done? or does it not work like that?
>>
>>30988954
>side lateral raises have helped
Thanks mate.
I'll try it out, though I'm sure my weak shoulder will have me doing like fucking 10 lb or some shit.

I can hear my shoulders grind and crack when I move them under their own weight. Like shit, if I raise my arms above my head they pop like M80s.

I hate my body. It's has always been a failure. I just hope to beat it down long enough to be worth something.
>>
>>30988914
Thanks for all of your advice so far for my fitness routine/diet shit. I went to fit for help and all I got was being called a fag. Not that that's not expected, but its obviously not as helpful as your advice.
>>
>>30988338
Looks great, really solid routine.

>pulling muscle
IDK what you mean, but if you mean putting on some muscle/strength gains StrongLifts is all for that.

Forgot to mention that there is a StrongLifts 5x5 official app on Google Play, tells you what to lift next, and keep track, super easy to use.

Stay motivated!
>>
>>30989004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsmeXwHu6W0
>>30988975
oh he should be doing pullups and pulldowns i thought that was a given. Pullups are the best excercise for back
I'm still in the camp of DB>BB row but whatever
>>
>>30989019
>The one anon whose really late to the party
I meant like, muscle to help me w/ pullups, climbing ropes etc.
>>
>>30989002
>I could end up traveling around and still get med shit done
Of course, why wouldnt it? You seem like yu have done literally no research on this yet. Navy HMs can and usually are stationed on ships same as any other rate. And yes you travel same as any other rate would.
>>30989008
Did you read the sticky, they dont spoon feed on fit which i like, unfortunately i do here though. You cant just ask random questions, you need to read and do your own research first.
If you actually care about this shit go look around online and read read read.
Educate yourself first than ask questions here and there to clarify and clean up small details.
>>30989019
idiot
>>30989028
bar allows you to move more weight which will translate to strength gains better

http://stronglifts.com/barbell-row/

Its safe and better overall.
Nothing is a given here, most people are borderline autistic and lazy and stupid.
>>
>>30989050
>>30989050
>>30989050
>>
>>30989034
Use the Lat Pulldown Machine at the gym, adjust the weight.

Build up your strength, you'll get there.
>>
>>30989046
I hadn't done any research no, I was just beginning to look into this.
>>
>>30989046

Now I have done research but I never really found a good plan to stick to. I tried cutting and that didnt work as school lunches didnt really help w/ calorie counting and I cant cook for shit for my own means.
>>
>>30989028
Thanks, bro, for that shoulder shit.

I've found that when I rotate my shoulder a bunch of times before lifting, I felt the pain lessen.
But with that specific shoulder exercise, I'll try to aim to reduce it even further.

I thought I was on /fit/ but I know know now that no /k/commando goes into battle with weak muscles.
>>
>>30989058
cont...

Use the Lat Pulldown Machine on your Barbell Row day.
>>
>>30989088
That dude makes some really good videos I'd check them out he has good rotator cuff exercises which can help strengthen it in another video and in the end if the video I linked
>>
>>30988914
>port every 2-3 weeks
Wouldn't that just depend on your ship? I'd imagine SSBNs don't see any land for months at a time.
>>
>>30989276

>>30989050
>>30989050
>>30989050

Yes, those are a special case though. Theyre deployments are much shorter. But in general its not a bad rule of thumb.
Thread posts: 368
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.