[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shooting and Doping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

So the current Rio Olympics have been dogged by doping with a significant number of athletes being banned from competing from failing drug tests.

Doping mars a lot of high-level sports; could it ever be countered by attaching more prominence to static skill-based rather than fitness-based sports? Are there any relevant performance-enhancing drugs for shooters or are sports like trap and archery practically un-dopable?
>>
Just make everyone compete high as a kite
>>
>undopable
>Since they promote lower heart rates and reduce tremors, beta blockers have been used in professional sports where high accuracy is required, including archery, shooting, golf and snooker. Beta blockers are banned by the International Olympic Committee. A recent, high-profile transgression took place in the 2008 Summer Olympics, where 50- metre pistol silver medallist and 10-metre air pistol bronze medallist Kim Jong-su tested positive for propranolol and was stripped of his medals.
>>
File: image.jpg (18KB, 231x218px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18KB, 231x218px
>>30945105
>knowing half the guys you hunted with in college were gold medal trap shooters in high school
I don't know if I want those pothead goobers dove hunting with me or winning a medal.
They act like 5 stand is golden tee golf

But they have O/U's in stainless steel cases.
>>
>2287
>not using Jet (best chem) to slow time and place more accurate shots
Only a synth would say no to a nice inhalation of Jet.
>>
I think that, by now, the only solution is going full on Futurama: forget about anti-doping and let everyone compete using whatever they want, or even make it mandatory. Unless a way to instantly test for every conceivable performance-enhancement substance seconds before the competition begins is created, people will continue to dope, and pharmaceutical companies will continue to come up with new stuff to fly under the drug test's radars.

Things might get fun when mind-controlled prosthetics get cheap and efficient enough, though; either we'll get a Formula 1 scenario, where the Paralympic Games will be used to test new technologies, ideas, concepts and models, or we'll get the following situation:

>Sir, we might have a problem
>What is it?
>The (regular, non-paralympic) marathon is over
>And? It is supposed to end some time or another
>It was finished in 82 minutes, by a man born without both legs
>[BEFUDDLEMENT INTENSIFIES]
>>
>>30945105
/sp/ not /k/
>>
Steroids let you train longer, improve your reflexes and your reaction times.

Beta blockers make you less twitchy.
>>
>>30945443
>Fallout 4

[TRIGGERED]
>>
File: image.jpg (15KB, 127x73px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15KB, 127x73px
>>30945472
[ HIDDEN ]

also, pic related for this thread?
>>
>>30945486
>tfw you didn't know about this your first playthrough.

That goddamn game had so much bullshit holy fuck. It took me like an hour and a half to figure out I had to switch the fucking controller. I'm literally still mad and I was like 12 at the time.
>>
>>30945105
There are performance enhancing drugs for shooting.

The big one is beta blockers
The suppress muscle twitches and movements.

Anti seizure drugs, anti Parkinson drugs, even alcohol in small amounts.
>>
Are you allowed to smoke before olympic shooting?
>>
>>30947042

Do beta blockers have long-term effects?
>>
>>30948977
wtf is a beta blocker?
>>
>>30945105
>>30945158

alcohol is actually a banned substance in archery/shooting because in low doses it lowers heart rate without negatively affecting hand-eye coordination.
>>
>>30945105
Yea for sure there are diaphragms( i thinks thats the spelling) that you can take to lower heart rate to steady your aim
>>
>>30945105
Alcohol counts as doping in shooting. Also a bad idea for obvious reasons.
>>
>>30945453
fuck off retard
>>
I love beta blockers

The name is so ingenious. They do just that, block the beta in you.

It's great for getting rid of performance anxiety and that can be applied to all aspects in life.

Got a date you don't want to fuck up? Beta blocker it up!

Got that once in a life time interview with a Fortune 500 company? Beta blocker it up!

Playing a violin solo in front of all the mad cute concert qts? Shit nigger, beta blocker it up!

Take a beta blocker and you become a flawless performing alpha male who sleeps with everyone's mom.

10/10 will abuse again in the foreseeable future
>>
>>30945105
It doesn't matter Americans can only shoot air guns
>>
>>30945105

I would imagine they would take something to lower heart rate/blood pressure and probably a muscle relaxant
>>
>>30948977
>>30949178
They are used for heart conditions. And anxiety.

The long term side effects are ED and diabetes.

Short term
The runs, upset stomach, head aches
>>
>>30949427
that's diazapam moron
diaphragm is the actual muscle you use to breath
>>
>>30950072

>50 meter 3 position rifle doesn't exist
>trap and skeet don't exist

Do you even issf
>>
>>30950363
But they aren't Olympic sports. I wish full bore biathlon was still a thing. How things are going, even rimfires and air guns will be given the boot in the coming years and they'll start shooting laser guns. They already do in junior biathlon in Europe.
>>
>>30945443
Jet only gives you +20 ap, what are you on about?
>>
File: PARDINI RAPID.jpg (409KB, 1500x688px) Image search: [Google]
PARDINI RAPID.jpg
409KB, 1500x688px
>>30950420

They should replace the shotgun sports with at least rapid fire pistol and 50 meter rifle, which are both shot wit .22 rimfire guns in the Olympics. The whole point of 10 meter air rifle is to put the pellet in the same hole, and you don't need a powerful rifle to do that.
>>
>>30950448
Jet, in Fallout 4 actually slows time down (in the game) allowing you to use your AP mopre effectively and generally giving you another shot in VATS

Kinda weird way to change it up but that's what they did
>>
>>30950420

trap, double trap, and skeet are all olympic sports. the US will probably sweep skeet like they do every year.
>>
>>30945105
I don't give a shit until they bring back the good olympic sports:
>Military pistol individual/team
>Military rifle individual/team (various distances/positions)
>Dueling pistols
>Football
>Tug-of-war
>Underwater swimming
>200m Obstacle Race - Swimming
>Small bore rifle
>17-Man Naval Rowing Boats
>Leap frog
>Pigeon Racing
>Bicycle polo
>Cannon shooting
>Running Deer Shooting

And until these sports are added:
>Slam ball (contact basketball with trampolines for acrobatic dunks)
>Sepak takraw (asian ninja volleyball)
>Everything from the X-Games
>3 Gun
>Chess Boxing (3 minutes of chess, then 3 minutes of boxing. Win by ko or checkmate)
>>
>>30949178
any girl that's over 5/10
>>
>>30951544

>17-Man Naval Rowing Boats

I read this as throwing boats and was very sad when I reread it.
>>
>>30945105
On a related note Kim rhode is a trap skeet shooter for the US is going to become the first woman to win medals in 6 straight Olympics, and is pro gun as fuck.
>>
>>30950518
I see the problem.
You're confusing Jet with Turbo.
TURBO slows time.
>>
>>30952875
No he's right, Jet slows down time in FO4. Turbo did the same thing in other FO games but they removed that in the newest one.
>>
>>30945465
You got 0/3 on the steroids and 0/1 on the beta blockers...thanks for playing go read a book on physiology and be stupid somewhere else.
>>
>>30945158
>kim jong-su
No relations
>>
>>30950054
I lucked out badly. Unspecified primary hypertension (stage III) equals unlimited Atenolol for life. I became far, far less of an asshole when I started taking it. Of course, the whole "there has probably already been enough damage done that you'll need new kidneys before you're 40, and have a stroke before 50" kinda spoils it.
>>
>>30955044
You lucky dog
>>
>>30945105
Didn't realize Ash Ketchum was an Olympic shorter
>>
>>30950054
It'll also give you erectile dysfunction after a while, so enjoy those QTs if you can.
>>
File: legends of the hidden temple.jpg (24KB, 446x337px) Image search: [Google]
legends of the hidden temple.jpg
24KB, 446x337px
>>30951544
Olympic-grade Hidden Temple when?
>>
>>30955518
And minigolf, and rodeoing.

In fact, why isn't rodeoing an Olympic sport? It's popular in both the Americas.
>>
>>30951544
>football
Wait, how come this was removed? We have hockey/basketball/soccer. Seems like the rest of the world was just upset the states would win every time.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.