[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trauma Bag. I was hoping someone had a list of essentials for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 19

File: 820OR.jpg (197KB, 600x508px) Image search: [Google]
820OR.jpg
197KB, 600x508px
Trauma Bag. I was hoping someone had a list of essentials for a trauma kit. I'm making one for my work truck (arborist) and I figured the injuries would be similiar to combat wounds.

Hopefully this is /k/ related because I trust /k/'s opinion.
>>
File: 1468575888488.jpg (87KB, 755x964px) Image search: [Google]
1468575888488.jpg
87KB, 755x964px
>I trust /k/'s opinion
>>
>>30927709
Clp, dragon dildos, bandaid, tampon, safety blanket, tourniquet, lube, lots of lube, cold packs
>>
If you don't know what to put in the trauma kit, you won't know how to use one either.
>>
>>30927935
I was really just looking for a copypasta list. I have most of it done.
>>
>>30927944
No, what >>30927935 was saying is that if you don't know what you want beforehand, you won't know how to use it, and it will ultimately be a waste of time and money. It's not an issue of simply amassing all the gauze and wraps, it's knowing how and when to use it. Instead of wasting $150 + on a trauma kit, go spend $100 for a course from your community college on first aid. The classes are good, and it will give you a good perspective for what is genuinely useful for a trauma kit.
>>
>>30927992
idk man I'm not him but it's pretty hard to fuck up just a whole bunch of gauze
>>
>>30928022
trauma usually implies shit like tourniquets that you surely can fuck up
>>
>>30928127
that's why I'm letting him know it's hard to go wrong with a whole bunch of gauze

Contusion?
>gauze
Abrasion?
>gauze
Puncture?
>gauze
Burns?
>special gauze
Laceration?
>gauze
>>
>>30927709

Do you have any training? If you're not trained, than fuck the bag and get training. You can improvise bandages, etc, you can't improvise medical training / knowledge.
>>
>>30928211

You don't even need special gauze for burn. Just wetting the gauze will prevent it from sticking to the skin.
>>
>>30928211
gauze, ACE wrap, athletic tape and super glue. Will handle anything short of shit requiring stitches.
>>
>>30928713
So regular or general gauze comes wet? No, it comes dry. Special applies in all cases not general.
>>
>>30928730

It does not, in your kit your should keep ointments and other essential shit. Put it on the gauze and put it on the burn. Not that hard to do you fucking retard.

Also not talking out of my ass. Did couple yrs as a corpsman...after which went and joined the local fire department, was aparamedic for like three yrs....now I'm a RN for a ED(emergency department) at a hospital. So unless you got more training / real life experience, you can go fuck yourself.
>>
File: 389526_5161577.jpg (89KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
389526_5161577.jpg
89KB, 1366x768px
>>30928817
thank you for your service mr real american hero

maybe next time you'll read the thread
>>
>>30928817
See that's why OP started the thread
>>
>>30927709
I feel like you'de be better off with a basic IFAK or simply enlarging one slightly instead of going full trauma kit. Most of what you'll be doing is stabilization until proper medical care arrives.

So,
Tourniquet, Gauze Isreali Wrap,, Nasopharyngeal Airway, Chest Seal (optional), Duct Tape/Medical Tape, Lube, EmergencyThermal Blanket.

If you want to enlarge for "trauma" kit, plus up on Isreali Wraps, Gauze, lubes/ointments, thermal blankets. Hemostatic (gauze) is optional but helpful. Again I cannot stress this enough, you are there to stabilize the patient until proper medical care arrives. If you want to do further, take classes and receive proper training. As is I highly encourage everyone to take basic first responder training even for basic stabilization.
>>
File: 1443909359395.gif (491KB, 440x360px) Image search: [Google]
1443909359395.gif
491KB, 440x360px
>>30927992
get the fuck out of here with your logic and reason

where do you think you are, anyway?

picture unrelated to post content
>>
>searches for clotting agents
>phrase not found

good lord you faggots are daft
>>
>>30928947
You need to know certain things about clotting agents before you use them anon. Celox will probably kill someone with a shellfish allergy. Neither Celox nor quikclot can be used on joints of limbs. Etc, etc, etc..

The good news is that if you're not a medical professional you generally can't be held liable for trying your best and killing the patient anyway. gl hf
>>
>>30928984
>if you're not a medical professional you generally can't be held liable for trying your best and killing the patient anyway

patently false. only in states with good samaritan laws.
>>
>>30929010
that's generally all of them
>>
>>30928947
can't do anything a god bandage won't in untrained hands
if you need it to do more you probably need a doctor
>>
>>30929012
In fact all 50 states and the District of Columbia have Good Samaritan laws
>>
File: Screenshot_20160809-192942.png (235KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160809-192942.png
235KB, 1440x2560px
This is what's in my home first aid bag. Hope it helps
>>
File: Screenshot_20160809-192947.png (206KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160809-192947.png
206KB, 1440x2560px
>>30929144
>>
File: 1461796567746.jpg (85KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1461796567746.jpg
85KB, 640x640px
>>30929144
>>30929163
Thank you anon
>>
http://practicaltrauma.com/m/

Plus a way to call medical help. Be that a cell phone or a radio if innawoods
>>
>>30929197
You're welcome. I love threads like these. Hopefully more people join in on the conversation

I also have a few odds and ends in there that aren't on the list. Like emergency blankets. Granola bars and fruit snacks incase someone's sugar is low (no diabetics in my immediate family but you never know who'll be around) a few little pamphlets and cards on patient assessment and field medical shit.
>>
>>30929265
Oh and a spare baofeng programmed to gmrs, frs, some ham repeaters in my area and all EMT dispatches in my county
>>
>>30929265
Emergency blankets are stupid important hence why I included them in my list prior. Hypothermia is no joke and trauma induced hypothermia is pretty much 100% fatal.
>>
>>30928022

>what is assesing a wound
>what is cleaning a wound
>what is choosing correct disinfectant
>what is sterile dressing
>what is proper pressure on wound
>what is immobilizing protuding objects

There's many ways of fucking up "apply gauze to booboo" my friend. Most of these ways involve endangering your patient's life
>>
>>30929389
>what is wasting time and letting patient bleed
>all that time trying to play doctor
>could've been stabilizing patient
>let REAL professionals deal with disinfectant and shit
>>
>>30929020

All the legal protection in the world won't ease your conscience if you fuck a buddy up
>>
>>30927709
For actual injuries, fuck ton of gauze in various sizes and shapes, tape, steri strips, splints (since you're leaving it in the truck i'd go for a more rigid standard splint rather than the sam splint shit). Maybe a tourniquet if you think there's a possibility of losing a hand or foot or something, I don't know, I didn't select "repair a damaged tree after a storm" on that question in high school.

What'll be more likely is your basic "this is annoying the fuck out of me" stuff like >>30929144.

Follow those and you'll be in good shape. Don't fuck with NPAs or needles or anything like that that you actually have to put inside a body. Your goal is to tape up and cover the outside so it doesn't fall off while you're driving to a hospital.

>>30929389
>what is doing the best you can without a medical degree

There's a marked difference between making a would stable enough to not die en route to a hospital with actual professionals that can worry about the finer details, and bleeding out with nothing but trees watching you.

Stop being a faggot. I guarantee you also don't know what you're doing but just want to shit up this thread.
>>
>>30929436

It takes a second to asses a situation, and it's not "playing doctor", it's basic fucking first aid to ask someone if they're allergic to iodine before slathering them in it

Also
>while your buddy bleeds out
Plenty of people cause their friends to bleed out because they try and remove something like shrapnel or another object that's poking out of them, thinking it'll help

Or they cut off circulation from tying a bandage waaay too tight
>>
>>30929495

>basic first aid
>medical degree

"The best you can do" can hurt the person you're trying to assist even worse. Moreso when you're in a remote area.

If you can accept the cops will never come soon enough in a home invasion, why is it so hard to believe the ambulance will take its sweet time too?
>>
>>30927935
No OP, the guy above isn't wrong. Tourniquets are some of the most vital items to have in a CLS bag, but I bet you don't know how to use them and there effectiveness is null than.

Tourniquets
Chest Seals+chest decompression needles
Israeli bandages
Treating anything
Treating shock

You need to learn how to do this shit man.
>>
>>30929528
we are discussing BASIC first aid here you retard not basic paramedic response. You don't bother having a fucking conversation with someone regarding iodine and hemostatics if it's serious enough to bring out a damn trauma bag/IFAK in the first place. Your STABILIZING the patient until PROPER medical care is reached. Hence the multiple times multiple anons have repeatedly said to attend a training course! One of the first things they teach is to leave pokey shit alone and immobilize them.
>>
APRN here

I'm not gonna read this thread because I'm a shitlord but

Do not
Fucking
Do
Anything
You are not qualified to do

Seriously.
I don't wanna see "chest decompression" or tracheotomy even on a list unless you KNOW you can do them.
>>
>>30929805
fuck do they actually use NCDs in the civilian world?
>>
>>30929857
>thread is about putting gauze on cuts
>"DON"T DO ANYTHING"
solid advice 2bh fám
>>
>>30929886
>cuts
He didn't say first aid kit, he said fucking TRAUMA bag you fucking retards.
>>
>>30929455
As apposed to what, sitting there and watching someone bleed out while I watch? You think I would sleep easier?
>>
I wonder how long them newfangled thrombin-fibrin bandages keep in storage.
>>
File: first-aid-kit.jpg (260KB, 1024x861px) Image search: [Google]
first-aid-kit.jpg
260KB, 1024x861px
>>30927709

Compiled from past first-aid threads;

Alcohol swabs
Band-Aids
Batteries
Bic lighter
Butterfly bandages
Caffeine pills
Chapstick
Cotton balls
Duct tape
Emergency blanket
Eye wash kit
Flashlight
Gauze
Glasses repair kit and/or extra contact lenses
Hard liquor
ID and info
Iodine swabs
Liquid bandages
Magnifying glass
Meds (allergy, pain, Benadryl, etc.)
Metal wire
Mirror
Moleskin
Multi-tool
Needles
Notepad
QuickClot
Rehydration salts
Rubber gloves
Rubber tubing for tourniquet
Safety pins
SAM splints
Scissors
Sewing kit
Snake bite kit
Super Glue
Surgical skin stapler
Surgical tape
Swiss army knife
Tick pen
Tweezers
Twine
Vetwrap
Water
Water purification tablets
Whistle
>>
File: trauma bandages.jpg (17KB, 315x315px) Image search: [Google]
trauma bandages.jpg
17KB, 315x315px
>>30931513

I'd add Maxi-Pads as trauma bandages.
>>
>>30927709
What do YOU know how to use? Put that in your kit. Anything else is a waste of space and money.
>>
File: 2016-07-30 20.51.52.jpg (3MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-30 20.51.52.jpg
3MB, 1836x3264px
>>30927880

Some of us know what we are doing.
>>
>>30928984
>celox will kill someone with a shellfish allergy
This is still a thing? People still believe this?
>>
>>30929870
Yeah, it's not hard

Boy Scouts teach literal children and the military teaches kids with barely a high school diploma how to do this shit, it's not hard
>>
>>30929870
No, tension pneumothorax and hemothorax only happen in the military.
>>
Op here.

Thanks for all the info everybody. Dont worry I dont plan on doing anything I dont know how to. Im more concerned about stabilizing until help arrives because we work in some really remote locations.

As far as training, I have already enrolled in some classes.

Thanks everybody for the input, I definetly had missed some essentials. Feel free to keep them coming, I know some of you really know your shit.
>>
File: 1469759651698.jpg (70KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1469759651698.jpg
70KB, 500x500px
>>30931833
>dat fentanyl
>>
The best training I got when I was in the Corps was the live tissue training we did on a sedated pig. Best real world training.

This is what I would suggest.

Tourniquets
Gauze
Combat gauze or similar
H-Bandage
Israel bandage
Chest seals front and back
NPA
Trauma Shears
Duct tape
Non-latex gloves(these are to keep you safe)
>>
I hate the little bitches who for every first aid kit thread cry about muh first aid class. All op wanted was a list. You can't provide that then fuck off.
>>
>>30929612
why do you think someone in a remote area would call an ambulance first
>>
>>30928022
>>30928211
>>30928713

Please, just spend $150-200 on a first-aid class, you will learn so much more. That's what got me started on becoming an EMT then paramedic. You're just going to be hurting someone else if you don't have the proper training.
>>
if youre gonna get gauze get celox for all purpose plus its cheaper but you can always run safe with combat gauze but its more expensive
>>
>>30932302
>splint
I'd add one since a falling log could fuck up an arm or leg.
>>
>>30932649
How would putting a clean pad of gauze over the source of bleeding and applying pressure possibly hurt the guy bleeding to death?
>>
>>30927992

This.

I think it would be best to get first aid training and then practice that at least every 6 months because like me, you will forget the stuff if nothing ever happens.

Also, having ways to locate yourself, signal people and vehicles and call for help would be good. So, flares, GPS, lights, a map etc. are just as important as gauze.
>>
>>30929612
cops have to deal with non-emergencies.
ambulances will almost always know that they have an emergency on their hands once you call them.
>>
>>30932945
Because you could be wasting your time applying pressure to a laceration when you should have immediately wrapped it with tape and focused on the fact he has a C-spine injury, or a compromised airway. You can live with a little less blood, you can't live without air, or a working spinal cord. On average, you have 5 liters of blood, and you can lose about one liter without passing out/dying. If you give me a PT with a massive laceration on his leg that gushing blood, I'll figure out what my priority is, then focus on the bleeding if there is nothing else that requires my immediate attention.

What I'm saying is, sometimes just pushing gauze in the wound can cause more harm than good to the PT.
>>
>>30933062
This is first aid being discussed in this thread, not BLS skills.
>>
>>30933059
>ambulances will almost always know that they have an emergency on their hands once you call them

Spend some time on an ambulance

>What seems to be the emergency at 3AM
>HurrDurr I stubbed my toe
>>
File: 1469960355953.jpg (34KB, 330x549px) Image search: [Google]
1469960355953.jpg
34KB, 330x549px
>>30933110

To be honest, taking a look at someone's airway is at the very core of first aid.

Do not make up idiotic "this thread is about...and not about..." type of rules just because someone else is better than you at taking care of people.
>>
>>30933189
I've never seen a first aid bag come with an airway kit or a BVM.
>>
>>30927709
For arborist type injuries.

QuikClot, CAT, bandages, and trama wraps, a regular standard medikit

Most likely you won't need the quickclot or cat, an EMS unit will have all the stuff on the rig to handle traumas, just make sure you tell the 911 operator what the injuries are so when EMS arrives they can take care of the situation.

I carry a medium sized bag in my toolbox in my truck. It's got quikclot, CAT, trauma wraps and other gear, even got a free AED from the company. I've never used anything but a finger bandage and I work for my local railroad company.
>>
>>30933222
I have. I think it's all to common to have them in standard household kits now.
>>
>>30933062
If you just got shot the last of your worries is spinal alignment and dont get into airway problems cuz if dick nuts doesnt have kings or cric sure carry d-needle for nemo but blood loss is number 1 in the field
>>
>>30929816
Yes, God forbid someone with real training chime in on a first aid bag you autistic cunt,

Personally I'll listen to EMT anon before you every time. Deal with it.
>>
>>30935024
I have to disagree, we always ensure PT has stable airway and C-spine support (C-spine depends on injury) before we deal with their other shit.

A few months ago, I had a trainee doing his observation hours by riding with us. We get a call for a biker that kissed the road, and arrive on-scene to find him laying in the gutter with his right leg mangled all to hell. Worse, I can't see his foot (turned out his bike had rolled over him and snagged his right foot when they were tangled together, popped it off so it could land in a weed patch). I check for SoL, he's A&O X 2 so I get his airway set up, place the c-collar on him, and start to asses his other injuries before I roll him on a backboard (this is when I saw for sure the right foot was AWOL). My trainee was freaking out about the foot, and wanted us to stay and find it, so I laughed and explained that he could live with no foot, but he couldn't live if we didn't get him to the ER lo mas pronto posible. He went along with it, and we all had a lighter-tone chat after the PT was dropped off about what to focus on with a trauma scene.

Sometimes, you can't see the forest for all the trees. Don't zero in on one problem with a PT, look at everything.

BTW, some cops found the foot later on and he got it reattached with partial functioning.
>>
>>30931833
Can I have your morphine?
>>
>>30927909
I'm a emt p.
This man is correct
>>
>>30935400
Nigger you should have tourniquet and spent at least a minute looking for foot if dude was stable, or at least not laugh about it. It's important to find people's body parts they will be mad forever if they find out you just left without trying or at least requesting that others look.

I dunno I see your point but why did you laugh at your trainee, he knows it's important to reattach body parts
>>
>>30929816

Checking the state of the injured person, slapping some disinfectant and wrapping them up in gauze is the most basic of first aid. I feel bad for anyone who gets hurt near you if you think that's some paramedic level shit

And yes, you can fuck it up badly enough to leave the person even worse than if you had done almost nothing
>>
>>30930282

As opposed to taking a first aid course if you know the job you're getting into has a reasonable chance of traumatic injury
>>
File: image.jpg (54KB, 919x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54KB, 919x720px
>>30935418
>>
>people actually seriously unironically suggesting tourniquets

You know how I know none of you have ever taken a first aid class? Tourniquets are not used anymore. They destroy more limbs than they save. Even in case of amputations, you're supposed to just bandage it tightly, but not so tightly as to cut off circulation. You let the gauze and absorbent pads stop the bleeding.

OP, just take an actual first aid course, don't listen to /k/. /k/ will tell you to amputate limbs and jam bic pens down people's throats and rip branches out of people and shit. Pre-assembled first-aid kits suitable for most common injuries can be found at local pharmacies, in a variety of sizes, some even having their own carry straps or attached loops for fitting onto MOLLE crap.

>>30929857
>tracheotomy
Has anyone itt suggested using bic pens to trach people yet?
>>
>>30932458
Why would you not call 911 if someone just had an accident on a work site?

>>30932945
>just rush to tape the nigga up
>rip the thing that cut him out of his body
>now he is bleeding much, much faster
>put pressure on it
>failing to note that he has broken bones
>now he's wailing in pain and you're fucking up his bones worse
>you tie a tourniquet
>because apparently this is 1878
>he loses circulation to the limb
>he loses the limb
>>
>>30933059

You could be telling the 911 dispatcher that there's a person with a gun trying to break in and threatening to shoot you and cops can still take an ungodly amoutlnt of time

I've called to report a person lying unconscious on the sidewalk, temperature low, breathing slow and uneven, and it took three other calls and fifty minutes for the ambulance to arrive.

>"What seems to be the issue?"
>"Why, the proto-corpse on the sidewalk you fucker"
>>
>>30935645
Well, in the US, emergency services have no actual obligation to help people.

Up here in Canada, every time I've called 911, the response time has been under 5 minutes.
>>
>>30932302

>Tourniquet

No. Refresh your training
>>
File: viper moron.jpg (35KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
viper moron.jpg
35KB, 500x500px
>>30932302
>"i-imma m-muhreen so u kno im rite"
>recommends duct tape and tourniquets for a first-aid kit
Has there ever been a Marine who wasn't wrong?
>>
>>30935579
>You know how I know none of you have ever taken a first aid class? Tourniquets are not used anymore.

You know how I know that you have no medical (EMS or otherwise) experience?
>>
My "trauma bag" is a swiss army knife and high quality duct tape. That's more than enough.

People wear clothes, and there will be some plastic bags or a Bic pen nearby if in need.

All the rest, would be done at the hospital.
>>
>>30935736
>You know how I know that you have no medical (EMS or otherwise) experience?
You know how I know you have none either? Because no qualified EMS, nurse, doctor, or any other medical professional would advise untrained people to tie tourniquets.
>>
>>30929816

>you don't bother having a fucking conversation with someone

>laceration. pretty deep. very gruesome
>dumps iodine on some gauze and slaps it on the wound
>"hey anon, I'm actually aller-"
>"NO TIME FOR TALKING. GET THIS MAN TO A HOSPITAL NOW"
>fastest way to the hospital is a trail out the forest, dirt road to the city and three miles into the city itself
>patient dies of anaphylaxis on the way there
>>
File: trigger-animation.gif (928KB, 400x320px) Image search: [Google]
trigger-animation.gif
928KB, 400x320px
>>30935762
>Bic pen
T R I G G E R E D
>>
>>30935788
Fast indeed!
>>
File: 1470779780392.png (245KB, 644x682px) Image search: [Google]
1470779780392.png
245KB, 644x682px
>>30935774
>Implying the phrase 'tourniquets are not used anymore' has anything to do with untrained civilians using them.

Shit nigga, watch your phrasing next time you step up to bat.
>>
>>30935807
This entire fucking thread has to do with untrained civilians. It's about an aborist seemingly untrained in first aid kitting out a trauma bag for work sites, not someone preparing to do invasive surgery who wants to clamp dem bleeds.

Tourniquets are straight up not recommended anymore for emergency use. It's not a thing, because it just ends up killing tissue uselessly when direct pressure from bandaging is usually sufficient.

This is worse than the old "yeah just use period pads or baby diapers as bandages cuz they'll soak up the blood. and plug boolit holes with tampons :)" thing.
>>
>>30935736

We're discussing first aid. People who are only qualified to administer first aid have no place fucking around with deliberately cutting off circulation to a limb, just like they shouldn't be resetting broken bones or dislodging elements from an injury
>>
>>30935736
Do you have any kind of medical experience? Have you ever even taken a first aid class?
>>
>>30928984
i am taking a bachelors in radiography and i work with iodide all the time and my colleague who is a radiologist said to me that he has never seen a correlation between shellfish allergy and iodide in real life
>>
>>30935885
EMT-B plus EMS experience on the civilian side, went through TCCC and SERE SABC courses on the other end.

>>30935860
I'll apologize for not pulling in the whole context, but tourniquets are tools like any else, and incredibly effective at what they do. While they are extremely painful and have drawbacks when it comes to long-term health complications, they are still a viable option when you can't control hemorrhaging. I wouldn't suggest a civilian whip one out without knowing what he's doing, but at the same time don't treat tourniquets as snake oil or bad medicine. The rule of thumb is that loss of limb is better than loss of life.

But in context, no workplace trauma bag needs one. Direct pressure, elevation and pressure points are all you need for a bleed if you're within 20 minutes of a hospital.

But there are certainly places where a tourniquet would apply, and it only takes a modicum of training to learn how to apply one in a safe and effective manner.
>>
>>30935400
But you are talking from the stand point "if you are the rig " im talking from the stand point of individual aid to another the should go blood air circulation so you become hipoxic from the bleeding buts thats eaiser to control
>>
>>30935959
>y-yeah im totally an EMT
>just tie zap straps around people's arms theyre totally necessary to stop bleeding
rilly niqqa

>tourniquets are tools like any else, and incredibly effective at what they do.
yes. they are actually too effective, which is why they're not used anymore for emergency care.

>But there are certainly places where a tourniquet would apply,
yeah, invasive surgeries where the surgeons want to work without blood squirting everywhere, not in emergency care.

Either you're lying through your teeth about having any kind of training or experience, are exaggerating decades-old military training, or you seriously need a refresher before you amputate some poor guy over a paper cut. Or you got your training and work in a third world country with no standards. America, right?
>>
>>30935704
Please be more specific.
>>
>>30936049
tourniquets are still very much used by EMS in the field iv used 2 myself one being car accident tib-fib was smashed and one gsw to the upper thigh
>>
>>30936094
>I have murdered two people
>>
Different anon here, but relevant question:
For those of you saying get training, would you say that having the First Aid merit badge in Bou Scouts would be sufficient training? This is assuming the badge was actually earned by the scout, and it wasn't one of the situations where a parent or leader basically did everything for you.
>>
>>30936110
it was a dark time in my life
>>
>>30936114
I don't even know what the training entails, but I'd say no just because it would have been so long ago. Refreshers are important.

It's for kids too, so it's probably not great training anyway.
>>
>>30927709
I don't think trees need any medical supplies.
>>
>>30936110
how am i going to what works
>>
>>30935579
Funny, because that's literally the exact opposite of true. We used to think that tourniquets were absolute last ditch effort, now we know there's very little danger if used correctly.
>>
>>30935860
>Tourniquets are straight up not recommended anymore for emergency use.

Citation needed. Typical emergency response times are so short that it unlikely you will do any damage with an unnecessary tourniquet.
>>
>>30936144
>Basic Red Cross First Aid class
>>
>>30936129
>long ago
Depends on what point in Boy Scouts it was taken. Boy Scouts are from 10 or 11 to 18 years old, and being an Eagle required badge it's one of the hardest to get, so it's often taken more around high school age, or even towards the end for the sake of reaching Eagle. (At least in my experience)
Here's a list of requirements:
a. Explain how you would obtain emergency medical assistance from your home, on a wilderness camping trip, and during an activity on open water.
b. Define the term triage. Explain the steps necessary to assess and handle a medical emergency until help arrives.
c. Explain the standard precautions as applied to bloodborne pathogens.
d. Prepare a first-aid kit for your home. Display and discuss its contents with your counselor.
3. Do the following:
a. Explain what action you should take for someone who shows signals of shock, for someone who shows signals of a heart attack, and for someone who shows signals of stroke.
b. Identify the conditions that must exist before
performing CPR on a person. Then demonstrate
proper technique in performing CPR using a training device approved by your counselor.
c. Explain the use of an automated external
defibrillator (AED).
d. Show the steps that need to be taken for someone suffering from a severe cut on the leg and on the wrist. Tell the dangers in the use of a tourniquet and the conditions under which its use is justified
>>
>>30936207
e. Explain when a bee sting could be life threatening and what action should be taken for prevention and for first aid.
f. Explain the symptoms of heatstroke and what action should be taken for first aid and for prevention.
4. Do the following:
a. Describe the signals of a broken bone. Show first-aid procedures for handling fractures (broken bones), including open (compound) fractures of the forearm, wrist, upper leg, and lower leg using improvised materials.
b. Describe the symptoms and possible complications and demonstrate proper procedures for treating suspected injuries to the head, neck, and back.
Explain what measures should be taken to reduce the possibility of further complicating these injuries.
5. Describe the symptoms, proper first-aid procedures, and possible prevention measures for the following conditions:
a. Hypothermia
b. Convulsions/seizures
c. Frostbite
d. Dehydration
e. Bruises, strains, sprains
f. Burns
g. Abdominal pain
h. Broken, chipped, or loosened tooth
i. Knocked out tooth
j. Muscle cramps
6. Do TWO of the following:
a. If a sick or an injured person must be moved, tell how you would determine the best method.
Demonstrate this method.
b. With helpers under your supervision, improvise a stretcher and move a presumably unconscious person.
c. With your counselor’s approval, arrange a visit with your patrol or troop to an emergency medical facility or through an American Red Cross chapter for a demonstration of how an AED is used.
7. Teach another Scout a first-aid skill selected by your counselor.
>>
>>30936207
>>30936227
seems like pretty standard fare. if the actual instruction is per the list, I'd trust it, but it's still probably long enough ago that you should get a refresher and you should probably not say it's from Boy Scouts when you list basic first aid training on your resume
>>
>>30936144
St-John Ambulance first aid says to just never ever do it ever.
The instructor I had for it most recently is also an EMT and echoed the sentiment that tourniquets are not a thing anymore, like using leeches on people.

I have the reference book next to me and "tourniquet" is not even in the index.
>>
>>30936049
Jesus, you really have no idea what you're talking about do you? The rule of thumb for CONTROLLED ischaemia (your surgeon example) is 45 minutes in a clinical setting under perfect circumstances. That's before small histological changes set in, whereas in any sort of emergency situation you're going to prefer the tourniquet over uncontrolled blood loss. You're not going to see OMG UR AMPUTATING HIM REEEE damage until 4-8 hours, hell, serious effects to the muscles don't set in till 2-3 hours and by that time the patient should have been moved to better medical care.

I mean, why do you think there's a tourniquet in every western soldier's IFAK? Why do all EMTs carry them in their kits? I'm not sure why you're carrying on this delusion, what experience do YOU have anon?
>>
Poor man's first aid kit coming through.
>paper towels
>duct tape
>knife or scissors
>preferably drinking alcohol and lots of it

BOOM!
>>
>>30927880
>I board jump /fit/reaction images
>>
>>30936300
>I mean, why do you think there's a tourniquet in every western soldier's IFAK?
There's not.
>Why do all EMTs carry them in their kits?
They don't.

>OMG UR AMPUTATING HIM REEEE
I'm being hyperbolic because this is 4chan, but in pretty much every actual first aid manual/course ever, they don't instruct you to use tourniquets because damage can occur, and they're not necessary anyway since dressings and a tight bandage are enough for even an amputation.

There is pretty much no case where it's worth it to cut off circulation to an entire limb because of a wound on the limb.
>>
File: IFAK.jpg (39KB, 492x445px) Image search: [Google]
IFAK.jpg
39KB, 492x445px
>>30936476
>There's not.

Not him, but US Army IFAKs have tourniquets and we were taught how to use them for basic SABC.

I can pull the PDF that details the IFAK's contents if you would like.
>>
>>30936476
>and they're not necessary anyway since dressings and a tight bandage are enough for even an amputation

We've had cases of above the knee amputations where THREE tourniquets were required to stop the guy from bleeding out on the spot.
Shut the fuck up about things you haven't the faintest idea about.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-08-10-16-43-57.png (469KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-08-10-16-43-57.png
469KB, 720x1280px
>>30938352
I'm this guy-
>>30938237

I should add that we were taught if the bleeding doesn't stop we add another CAT above the original, and so and so forth if you have to.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-08-10-17-06-07.png (114KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-08-10-17-06-07.png
114KB, 1280x720px
>>30936476
Wrong on both counts bud, maybe my rescue squad stopped using them since I left, but I can promise you we still use CATs (Combat application tourniquets) in the military. Here's the guidelines for the AF's tactical combat casualty care, just ctrl + f 'Tourniquet' and have some fun.

http://www.naemt.org/education/TCCC/guidelines_curriculum

>Because dressings and s tight bandage see enough for even an amputation.

Shit, really? I wonder why anyone in the history of the world has ever bled out from hemorrhaging if it's just that easy to stop it.

But BIG TOURNIQUET has us all fooled yeah?
>>
>>30935479
We laughed at him because he was being silly. The PT was about to die, and we needed to get the fuck out. He was on another dimensional plane b/c we gave him fentanyl, also from the blood loss/pain. If we had a third guy to jump out the back of the ambulance and go find the guy's foot, that would've been great, but I needed the trainee so he could see what was what, and I needed my partner to drive. So we just told the cops they were looking for a foot, and about where it should be (big pile of hedges and shit).

The PT was driving his bike drunk at about 30 mph. I think he got exactly what he deserved, which was a towering medical bill and the inability to play soccer.
>>
>>30932110
Thanks for enrolling in classes OP, that is a great first step. I hope you do well in everything, and I hope you never have to use any of it.
>>
>>30936004
Ehh, BAC vs. ABC is semantic as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>>30931833

>some of us rob pharmacies.
Thread posts: 126
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.