[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Campus carry: Worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7

File: 1465771212655.jpg (65KB, 460x345px) Image search: [Google]
1465771212655.jpg
65KB, 460x345px
Hey /k/, I attend University of Houston in Texas, and campus carry was just legalized around 2 weeks ago.
I'm of age to carry, a student, and have about $1500 to my name. I live at home with my parents. My mom would probably be against having a gun in the house, mostly because of my dad, who very occasionally loses his shit and flips out. He's never hit anyone, but he gets pissed easily and has freaked the fuck out and left for a few days 3 or 4 times. He's always stressed with his business, high blood pressure etc.
Obviously I would keep the gun locked away at home, but he would probably want to have the key, or get another gun specifically for home defense.

Anyway, I have a few questions: is it worth it for me to carry on campus? Many buildings are off-limits for carrying, such as labs with chemicals. I could keep the gun in my car or drop it off at the campus police station, but it makes me wonder if it's worth it if it'll be a hassle.
Also, I would need to learn how to carry without printing. I sweat a LOT and it's always hot in houston, so I don't really want to wear jackets or any sort of second layer. I usually wear pants with a button-up shirt or t-shirt.

The only reason I'm considering is because the campus is usually ok during the day, but it's in a shitty area of Houston and I will be taking some classes that finish late, like 8:00, in this upcoming semester. People have gotten robbed.

I carry a knife on me (force of habit, work a warehouse job), but I doubt it would do much for me if I faced someone with a knife or gun, or multiple aggressors.

Also, I really don't want to rip my wallet purchasing a gun, so maybe $400 for the gun, 1 extra mag, and the holster?

Sorry for the long ass-post. Is it worth it for me, or not? Any other anon's related questions are welcome. Thanks!
>>
File: 1302855001250.jpg (74KB, 750x496px) Image search: [Google]
1302855001250.jpg
74KB, 750x496px
I should have said: while my dad has a high temper and gets pissed off and in a bad mood easily, I personally don't believe that he would ever use the gun against any of us.
He has expressed interest in the past about getting a gun for himself himself to CC (he is often out late in houston alone, rough area), but my mom and sisters have always shied away from the topic when I broached it with them, because the idea of my dad having a gun makes them a little uneasy.
Also, my eldest sister leans pretty heavily towards libtarded ideas, but she has seen firsthand people struggling to survive because of war. Still I could just tell her to fuck off anyway.

I don't want to give the impression my father is a bad or evil man. He has always worked extremely hard to further his business and provide for his family, helping his kids with school, never asking for anything, and he really does love us. He just never has any time for himself, and his mind is always on his business.

Sorry for the super long posts, I just want y'all to get the full picture. As you can tell, I'm a little conflicted.
>>
/k/! I need your advice, please. Other anons who may be dealing with the same issue, please feel free to post!
>>
I also go to UH, I'm definitely going to carry, I recommend you do too considering all those emails we get about robberies and carjackings. I would refuse to give a spare key to your father as well, it's your gun, no one in my family has spare keys to my any of my safes. If you want to discuss him getting a CHL, I suggest you sit down and have a conversation regarding his anger.
>>
>>30925537
UT Dallas here, even though this is an area where crime is almost non-existant, still definitely going to carry.
I also sweat quite a bit (my back is ridiculous) so I might carry in my backpack or find a single stack subcompact that will be easily concealable with lighter clothing.
I live with my parents as well, and they don't have access to my firearms.
Have you had experience with firearms before?
I'd suggest trying some out and seeing what you like before buying.
>>
>>30926032
On the topic of conceal carry:
What are some good subcompact DA/SA pistols?
Was looking at a CZ Rami and P224 but I'd like to know my other options.
>>
>>30926074
P224 is garbage, get a rami
>>
>>30925537
>>30925582
>>30926032
>>30926074
You can easily conceal a compact or a sub-compact size pistol with just a t-shirt and shorts.

The biggest thing that determines the size of gun that you can carry is your height/weight and build type. I carry a CZ P07 every day without printing and I'm 6' 175lbs.

The 2075 RAMI is a lot of gun for the money. Its a double stack subcompact with an allow frame and stainless slide. It comes with 2 mags, a 10rd flush fit and a 14rd.

You also have to consider where you want to carry the gun on your person when choosing a holster. Most people are comfortable with carrying in the 3-5 o'clock position.

As far as holsters go, look at Hidden Hybrid, Alien Gear, Crossbreed, and Stealthgear. Those will give you a good idea of the typical setups and features of an IWB holster.
>>
>>30926032
>I might carry in my backpack

My gentleman of good taste. I've never heard of others doing this.
>>
>>30926220
>>30926102
Cool, will take a look at a Rami this week.
Yeah concealing pistols is pretty simple, currently I carry a SP2022 and only print when I'm bending over.
>>
Good to hear from some fellow texans! Thanks for the replies.
>>30925863
My dad will never acknowledge he has an issue. He's nearly 60 years old and has never apologized for being unreasonable. He just either won't accept he's wrong, or pretends it didn't happen. I think he escapes through his work, to be honest.
Weird climate in my family, but yeah I probably wouldn't give anyone else access to my safe either.
Good luck on carrying and good luck in school! Math is kicking my ass.
>>30926032
I have shot a few times at the range, maybe 5 total, with several different handguns. Mostly 9mm, but I did enjoy a Sig Sauer 1911 in .45. I also actually passed the range section of the CHL course a few months ago using an M&P shield, I think, but I lost the paper the instructor signed for me. I doubt they keep copies at the range so I'll be out $80 and 4 hours there. Oh well. I would definitely try out a few potential carry weapons to see what I prefer.

My back also sweats like crazy! I feel like a backpack carry might remove some of the efficacy of having quick access to a gun in an emergency, but I'll definitely consider it. And yes, I figured I'd have to go with a single stack to CC. I'm thinking about the 5:00 position on my back. Logical or no?
>>
File: 1469524734602.gif (277KB, 500x601px) Image search: [Google]
1469524734602.gif
277KB, 500x601px
>>30926282
>post yfw when white boys reaching into their backpacks for guns at school is true
>>
>>30926220
I'm 6' 215 lbs (yes I know I'm 15-25 lbs overweight, soon as I'm done with this goddamn summer course I'm starting lifting again).

I will look into that handgun and also those holsters and report back. I really appreciate the advice. Thanks!
>>
File: kid.jpg (51KB, 771x436px) Image search: [Google]
kid.jpg
51KB, 771x436px
>>30926322
>>
>>30926282
I don't know what its like at UH but crime is basically non existent in the UTD area so the chances of me needing to immediately draw are very slim.
Prior to campus carry, some people who carried anyways typically carried in their backpacks, one guy I knew used to carry an TP9 SBR in his backpack.
>>
>>30926310
5:00 is my preferred as it allows me to sit comfortably vs 12-3 which jams into my leg/dick in my tighter fitting pants.
With backpack carry you just gotta be more aware of your surroundings and practice a quick draw movement from your backpack, it obviously won't be as quick as drawing from your waist but I cross draw from a side pocket fairly quickly.
>>
>>30926322
Not sure what being white has to do with it, but if it looks like >>30926336
, that’s not how I would carry a handgun. They’re probably just getting their books out. Don’t be so paranoid.

>>30926379

If you get the right sort of pack, you can still draw pretty quickly, and without taking off the pack.

I carry both IWB and in a backpack (not at the same time), and my draw times are within a second of each other.

If the thread is still up when I get home this evening, I’ll see if I can make a webbum of it, since Google isn’t giving me much demonstration material.
>>
>>30926310
I wouldn't bring up the topic of a CHL with him if he can't accept his anger issues. I'm no friend of math either, I'm retaking finite and have to take stats next semester. It will not be fun. Be careful by the way, the people on campus are very anti gun, some of the professors will discriminate against you if they find out you carry. I also have no doubt a student would freak out and scream bloody murder if they knew you had a gun. I advise you to keep it on the down low.
>>
>>30926329
You're welcome. You shouldn't have any problems with carrying either a compact or a subcompact then. Just make sure to wear shirts that are a little loose and you may also have to loosen up your belt a notch or two.

Also, don't be afraid to go to a store and ask to see a few pistols and holsters. When you do, you can hold the gun up to your waist to see if it blends in well with your profile and to see if anything looks like it would stick out.

Most people won't realize if there is a little bit of a bulge on your hip. They aren't looking for that sort of thing. As long as the pistol's grip isn't outlined or visible you should be ok.
>>
>>30926462
Backpack carry might be a good option then. I usually have at least decent situational awareness; don't walk around on my phone, make eye contact with people, keep an eye out.
If >>30926500 can show us how to backpack draw, it would be awesome.
I figured 5:00 would be the best position for me as well, based on the same info as you.
>>30926546
I'm also enrolled in stats next semester as well. Hopefully it won't murder me like precal, though (two tests this week, test 4 and final. Need a C in the class to satisfy prerequisites. KIRRRR MEEEE)

Also, I'll try and avoid the CHL but if I end up getting a gun, he'll know about it, and want one too. I'll just have to be careful and tell him he can carry a gun in his office, but hopefully not bring it home. Although that sort of defeats the purpose of a CC. Oh well.

And yeah, I know kids would freak the fuck out. I don't really wear tight clothes, but I'm just thinking about printing and other things like this as a precaution. Have to go over the allowed/not allowed buildings list to see whether I'll be able to carry in the classrooms I'll be in this upcoming semester.

>>30926683
Sounds good, man! I think I'd prefer a compact, just for the extra capacity and larger size, but I'm not against a subcompact either. My LGS is pretty cool so I'm sure they'll help me out.

If I decide to go through with the purchase in the future, I'll definitely pore over the sticky and figure as much out on my own as I can.
I feel better about CC now. Only issue will be the family, but I'll just do my best to keep things calm.
Thanks again for the info, y'all!
>>
One thing I've always wondered: what do you do with your CCW once you get into your vehicle? Do you put it somewhere else for easier access, or just keep it in your back/hip?

If you move it, is it a problem putting it back on in front of other people once you get out?

Also, carry with one in the chamber, or no?
>>
>>30926074
I carry p64 or CZ82 depending on weather, have you looked into xDs, glocks, m&ps, maks, or lc9s? Those are all pretty good options, I'm kinda partial to slavshit since I'm a broke motherfucker.
>>30926854
Have you already taken finite? I assume everyone has told you, but stats is fucking rape. I have several buddies much smarter than me that bitched and moaned the while way through.
>>30926379
We get an email at least once every other week regarding a crime. CC is gonna do that place a lot of good, you'd be hard pressed convincing the slack jawed faggots around campus of that though.
>>30926946
I tend to put it between my seat and the center console close to the belt, if I'm in a hurry I put it under my leg. I've seen some carry at 11 o clock and put their shirt over the belt for ease of access.
>>
>>30927243
How does the weather influence your carry choices?

Damn, I'm not looking forward to stats now. I took it in high school and it wasn't tough so long as you memorized your formulas, but sounds like imma end up taking it up the booty.

Would it be unwise to just put my gun in the center console? I have a big console because I drive an SUV, so it wouldn't be too hard to grab it. These are all secondary questions, regardless. Have to get my CHL and handgun first.
>>
>>30927941
In the winter I wear heavier clothing, so it's easier to conceal my cz82. Ya most people's GPA tank a little after stats, don't be afraid to drop it and try again, also take a light load/ easy classes to pad your GPA. I don't see anything wrong with putting it in the center console, I feel like having it by the seat belt makes it easy to access and is less suspicious to reach for if something happened, do what you feel most comfortable with honestly.
>>
You absolutely need to carry. I live in Houston too. I recommend pocket carry because you never have to worry about it flashing anyone and you can always put your hand in your pocket and be ready to draw your gun without it looking weird.

It's too hot and humid here to think about OWB/IWB, and with ankle carry you're gonna flash it when you cross your legs in the classroom.
>>
>>30926032
DO NOT CARRY IN YOUR BACKPACL
>>
>>30928389
This too. It will either get stolen, get lost, or get discovered and then you're in for a world of shit. Plus you aren't going to be able to open your backpack quickly when some autist starts shooting at you.
>>
>>30926946
>One thing I've always wondered: what do you do with your CCW once you get into your vehicle?

With pocket carry I pull it halfway out so the butt is outside my pants. Don't keep placing your gun in weird places, you'll grab for the wrong place when shit gets real. This goes for inside your house or apartment too, try to keep a gun in the same place when you're not carrying it. You are not gonna remember at 2am where you placed your gun that day.
>>
>>30928222
Yeah in the winter I hope it won't be too hard to CC with hoodies etc, although knowing Houston sometimes it's still hot even in the winter.

My GPA is already in the shitter and I'm taking at least 12 hours this semester. Hope I don't get kicked out of school! Then I'll really need a gun to defend myself as a hobo after my parents disown me lol.
>>30928374
What is OWB/IWB?
I've thought about pocket carry too, and it does seem more convenient. Only thing I'd be worried about would be the gun accidentally going off, not being able to get it out of my pocket, etc.
Also, I keep my cell phone in my right front pocket, which is where I would want to keep a pocket carry gun.
That leaves 2 options: baggier pants or put cell phone on a belt holster. Either way I'll end up looking mildly autistic but eh, fuggit.

So I guess pocket carry is something to consider to. I'll talk to the dudes at my LGS and see if they have any experience. I remember hikock45 had a pocket carry vid, might go back and watch that again.
>>
>>30928515
Outside the waistband or inside the waistband. I am skeleton mode so I never found having a several pound chunk of leather, plastic, and metal comfortable on my bony hips.

I carry a Glock 26 in slacks in my right pocket. I put my wallet in front of it so when I sit down you just see the outline of my wallet not a gun. It's kind of thick so you may be better off with a Glock 43 single stack or a 5 shot snub-nose revolver like a Ruger LCR (I carry that sometimes too).

When I lived in Wyoming I usually carried a Glock 17 in a shoulder holster most of the year because of the weather. Not possible in Texas.

The last thing you want to do is be fucking around and adjusting your gun all the time because it's uncomfortable.

I couldn't pocket carry in jeans because they have small pockets and it's difficult to draw out of. Works fine in slacks. Either carry without a round chambered and have it loose or get something like this to cover the trigger guard and carry chambered:

http://raven-concealment-systems1.mybigcommerce.com/vanguard-2-lanyard-kit/

(I used the Vanguard 1 it had a better string... I wonder if it's discontinued. Trigger guard holsters or something they're called.)

Either way carry without a round chambered until you get comfortable with it, an ND will ruin your life if it goes off at school because that's hella fucking illegal unless it's self defense.
>>
>>30928515
Also pocket carry is pretty much deep concealment. Any other method of carry can print or get exposed. Nobody is going to be staring at your pockets or your crotch and if you have something in front of the gun not only does it keep it in place, the gun never prints. And no it won't fall out of your pocket if you have your setup right.

Carried like this for like 3 years now in Houston, nothing else works here. Ankle looks like I have a fucking tumor even if it's a J-frame and if you sit down everyone will see something weird on your ankle unless you have baggy ass jeans or an extra sock over it.

Don't fucking bother with those undershirts with holsters built in under your shoulder or any of that other crap, it's uncomfortable and doesn't work. Just carry a small gun in your pocket. If it's light it won't ever bug you.
>>
>>30925537
If you're a standard Amerifat then you're more likely to die from heart disease than a carjacking.

Maybe invest in a salad and get some fucking exercise.
>>
>>30928515

Other things to keep in mind: Carrying without a round in the chamber isn't as big a handicap as people say, pocket carry is nice because I can have a full firing grip on my Glock when I'm walking through a parking lot at night and be ready to draw fast as fuck (although I keep a round chambered, senpai). Carry without for a few months to see that the trigger won't randomly get pulled inside the holster/trigger guard holster.

Gaston Glock himself carries a Glock 26 without a round in the chamber in his pocket. I think he knows what he is doing.
>>
>>30928614
I actually have decent cardio. Do a lot of running and have some pretty strong legs. Don't think heart disease will get me quite yet.
>>
>>30928576
>>30928598
>>30928627
This is all really good advice, thanks a ton. I'll look a lot more seriously into pocket carrying now. Maybe I'll just find jeans with big pockets, or just quit wearing jeans in favor of slacks or looser pants.

And yeah, not wanting to have my gun fire in the middle of class is something that's a big deal to me. I can only imagine the crazy shit I'd be put through if that happened. I'd be steamrolled to hell.
>>
>>30925537
Absolutely.
>>
>>30925537
Do it. I wish I could.

Get yourself a nice little makarov variant, my CZ-82 dissapears with jeans and a tshirt.

People fought pretty hard to make campus carry a reality, why not prove yourself to be a good law abiding citizen?
>>
>>30926032
Backpacks can be lost, stolen, or reached into. Waist, hip, thigh, and ankle holsters are much more secure.
>>
>>30931759
>>30931964
As soon as I'm done with my final, I'm going to do some serious research into the guns/holsters anons have listed in thread, and especially pocket carry.

Won't broach the subject with the family until I have my plan and info.
>>
>>30925537
Godspeed anon
Also, good luck on your finals
>>
>>30925537
Well, I wouldn't because of your dad.

Just because he's never hit anyone or done destructive things won't mean he will, especially when he knows there's a gun in the house.

Buy a safe, and a gunlock that has a code instead of a key.

It has not been the first time where a family member gets mad easily, and everyone thinks that they'll never kill, and then they do.

Buy a glock for your first gun, get a small caliber until you are proficient with the gun. Glocks and Sig Sauers are easy to maintain and are reliable.

Also would not carry it when you are going to classes, especially when you've never been around guns. Take it to the range, and carry when you go to the store. An uneducated gun owner is a dead gun owner. Once you feel comfortable, and can effectively hide the handgun, carry it with you.

One magazine is fine, since you are CCing it you don't need more than 1 mag in the gun.

I would recommend a level 2 CC holster if you'll be attending class. No need to get in trouble when the gun slips out of its holster and falls on the ground infront of everyone.

Also, don't carry it in any bags or off your body. That's a grey area when it comes to law enforcement. There are also thieves that will use the gun for malicious purposes. Better to wear it and feel it on your person that having to check your bag every 30 minutes.

I wouldn't personally carry it on school property because I feel that it's a learning environment, and guns are not needed in a classroom setting, that was until I switched community colleges..

You will be required to take classes on carrying and licensing of a CHL.

Good luck, be responsible and proactive. Don't end up on the news.
>>
>>30925537
Absolutely worth it. Shootings are extremely rare, but personally I'd rather be carrying if one happens rather than caught in the middle
>>
File: 1405905011914.gif (1019KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1405905011914.gif
1019KB, 500x281px
>>30925537
You can get a Bersa or LCP as well as a magazine for around that price I believe.
The lcp you can carry in your jeans pocket pretty easily depending on tightness.

The bersa is a little larger, but has more capacity.

>Is it worth it
If you're ever in the situation where you need it, then yes, it's worth it.
Life is pretty invaluable senpai.
But the vast majority of people won't ever be in that kind of situation.

>>30933847
Glocks are ok but they're ugly as sin, and you will spend 500 dollars on one most likely.
However, glockfags are correct in the reliability and versatility of their pistols, if they have the aesthetics of a brick on a plastic handle
>>
youre going to be hard pressed to spend 400 and get a gun, holster, and enough practice ammo to git good.

also, you might want to think about two extra mags, especially if you are getting a subcompact pistol.

i'd say you could get a used glock 19 or 26, maybe a bersa thunder or a ruger lcp. if you wanted to spend money i'd recommend an hk p30sk. put 500 rounds thru it and make sure you can hit a 2L at 20 yards. spend $50-100 on a GOOD HOLSTER and then practice 5000 draws. yes, five thousand. it should take you a few weeks. your draw need to be muscle memory if you want to be fast enough to defend yourself.
>>
File: 53428327_p0_master1200 (1).png (339KB, 600x422px) Image search: [Google]
53428327_p0_master1200 (1).png
339KB, 600x422px
>>30933847
>>30933888
a few more things

>wouldn't carry on school property
Defeats the purpose of the question, even if it didn't, no point in having it if it's not accessible when you need it.

>small caliber
We're talking concealed weapons, MOST people can't conceal larger calibers/frames without printing, especially with only one layer of clothing.

>one magazine
This isn't right on principle, but in practice it's hard/impractical to carry spare magazines.

>don't carry because you've never been around guns
same as not carrying because school.
Its your right, don't let someone else's feelings get in the way of you exercising it.

>not in bags/away from self
Agreed. Retention is a key aspect of carrying a firearm
>>
>>30933910
>>30933888
ayy same gun recommendations. nice!
>>
>>30933912
Carrying more than one magazine in the gun is impractical and is an annoyance, if there is a school shooter scenario you should be able to put the hostile subject down in 3 shots. Leaving plenty of rounds.

You don't give guns to improperly trained people who have never been around guns before

I've never said I don't want people to carry weapons, I'm saying that you need to learn about the weapon and how to use it properly before you hurt someone else.

There's a reason why we don't let Navy officers carry their weapons on our bases without entering a training course.

U of H isn't one of the dangerous schools. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be carrying on school grounds, I'm saying that you should be properly trained first, in gun dynamics and retention.

I'm most situations that don't need to turn hostile, can be solved with verbal judo, you don't need to have the option to use deadly force. I can see how it's practical when there is an active shooter, but the risks outweigh the odds.

It's thinking like "hey I'm an amurrican I'm always allowed gunz", that's stupid, and there have been countless incidents that involved in new gun owners who barely passed their CHL classes not knowing how to operate their handguns.

Some teacher shot herself because she did not realize that her gun was loaded and had her safety off.

Bottom line, you should know how to operate a gun and how to safely store the weapon. It's thinking like this that only proves that gun owners shouldn't own their weapons, it also shows that we are stupid and incompetent.
>>
>>30925537
>>30925582
S&W J-frame .38 *will* and S&W Shield >might< fit inside pocket... Tell your folks about related crimes you find online at UH.': "How would you feel if that guy was me, beat up/paralyzed/killed?" CARRY! So many folks have permits and do not, making them better than NOGUNZ
>>
>>30926379
Backpack = off-body carry = introduces risk of FORETTONG, THEFT. Don't over complicate things: get a good IWB inside-waistband holster.
>>
>>30925537
Whatever you choose, save a decent amount of your $400 for your holster, 11 dollar nylon crap will fail you at some point and you will end up dumping your gun on the floor of the class or something else equally embarrassing.
>>
>>30934055
>U of H isn't one of the dangerous schools.

THERE ARE NO "safe places"... Life has dangers b/c criminals go where they want! You don't have to go to the ghetto-- the bad guys will bring the crime to YOU
>>
>>30936050
*Forgetting* backpack in Psych 101...
>>
>>30925537
I'd personally go with a Makarov and a decent quick release holster.

http://www.jgsales.com/bulgarian-makarov-semi-auto-pistol,-9x18,-red-star-grips,-holster,-excellent-condition,-used.-p-64017.html

http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/c-equip_belts.htm

Both will come out to around 420-ish, and the gun is both beautiful, fully steel, and insanely reliable.

Did I mention they're beautiful?
>>
>>30933847
>>30934055
The reason I made this thread is for advice and so I don't make stupid mistakes.
U of H IS in a dangerous area of Houston.

Though I've only shot a handful of times, I pay careful attention to safety and knowledge. It would take around 3 months to obtain a CHL anyway. During that time I would familiarize myself with my handgun and also wearing it (at home, of course). Learn how to strip it, clean it, shoot best with it, etc.

My family and picking the right CCW for the right price are the only two obstacles really in my way from pulling the metaphorical trigger and going for it.
>>
>>30925537
>carry a fag pistol under your fat fag belly
>not carry a sword that celebreates your heritage
>>
>>30931964
>>30933888
>>30933910
>>30936112
>>30936911
Thanks for the posts and advice, y'all. My final is in two days. After that I'll look into these suggestions; ruger, lcp, makarov.

Also, if I have to I'll adjust the budget accordingly for what I'm looking for. Definitely want a good holster, and a gun that will be good enough that I won't be left wanting to upgrade immediately, or be dissatisfied with.

Also, I would prefer something chambered in 9mm, just because the ammo is cheap and plentiful, but if I wouldn't be spending too much more, I could go for another caliber.

Another thing I remember reading before: hollow points are better for defensive carrying, right? because they expand on impact and penetrate less, so you're less likely to injure someone. So that would be the type of round to carry, yes?
>>
>>30936050
>>30936358
>>30936037
Yeah, I think that'll be good at convincing them. I can just show them the biweekly emails I get about robberies and confrontations on campus.

I appreciate the advice!
>>
>>30938065
Lol. I don't actually look that fat. Learning fencing would be cool though.
>>
>>30936367
Never underestimate the impact of stress and sleep deprivation.
>>
File: 1468941572555.png (2MB, 1053x1070px) Image search: [Google]
1468941572555.png
2MB, 1053x1070px
>>30934055
>you don't give guns to x
Thankfully you're not a lawgiver, and you don't get to dictate to me what I can say or recommend as that is my right (provided I'm not doing so with malicious intent), just as it's not your place to dictate the qualifications he needs to carry a firearm, even if he has no prior experience with them.

I'm not advocating carelessness or a lack of practice or ignorance of the weapon, however, and I don't think I ever suggested that.

>gun owners shouldn't own their guns, etc.
Oh I see.
Thanks for CORRECTING THE RECORD.

In other words, fuck off and stop trying to tread on me, also pic related.

>>30938246
the ruger lcp is a .380.
The makarov is 9x18, instead of your standard 9x19.
Be sure to double check, though makarov ammo isn't exceedingly common where i'm from so for what it's worth.
>>
>>30938246
>>30939883

Also, barely awake so let me finish responding :^)

.380 isn't much more expensive than 9, so practicing won't be too expensive, though I recommend putting at least a hundred of your carry round through it to ensure reliability.

>hollowpoint
Correct.

>holster
Not entirely necessary for every firearm, see LCP and a few others, but a Makarov will probably need an IWB holster,
If IWB isn't your think you can try ankle holsters if you don't mind wearing jeans every day.
>>
>>30939883
>>30939970
I wear pants pretty much every day; quit wearing cargo shorts a few years back and just never bought any more shorts, except for athletic shorts I use for exercise.

I'm ok with an Inside Waistband Holster, in fact that's what I primarily had in mind. I'm going to look into pocket carry as well, though. Might work out better for me, especially if I can get a pocket carry "holster" that comes with an extra mag slot.

Looked into the makarov a bit, seems you can order 9x18 online for a bit of a premium over 9mm, so ammo costs wouldn't be TOO bad. Price point on the one linked seemed to be perfect for me.

Another gun I've read about recently while doing a bit of research is the Taurus PT709 slim:
http://www.gunsandammo.com/handguns/compacts/single-stack-9mm-shootout/

Ranked pretty well overall in this comparison with 5 other handguns. Comes with many features at a price point that's good for me.
Only thing is that I've read previously on /k/ that Taurus is garbage, but that may just be a meme.
I might be going to the range soon with some friends, so I'll rent a couple of guns to try out.

Also, one last question: what is the difference between FMJ and jacketed ammunition, or is there no difference? Concerning HP rounds, which would be better for self defense carry?
>>
>>30925537
>can't have guns because angry dad and mum
Literally don't tell them. It is that easy. You can get a small safe and stick it into your bedside table, like a stackon. Those are cheap, and it's better than leaving your gun locked in your car overnight. Especially if you ever need to use it during a break in or something.

>it is worth it to carry on campus?
Yes. Shootings might be rare, but they happen. Better to have one and not need it then not have one when you do. Kind of like a condom.

>400 for gun, holster, extra mag
You'll want a smaller, single stack gun. A gently used police trade in Glock will get you there. Or a makarov, but the ammo won't be as available to you outside of online ammo sales. Nothing wrong with that, but it is preferable to have a weapon that you can buy ammo for by driving 10 minutes to your local gun store.
>>
>>30940834
I considered not telling them, but I think they will most likely find out eventually and then that will cause a huge shitstorm. My family isn't that relaxed; everyone's in everyone's business, which can get really irritating, but it's just the way it is.

I looked into buying ammo online, and I would have no problem with it. But what you said about ammo availability is the reason I'm more inclined towards 9x19 vs 9x18.

Single stack is fine by me, but the more rounds the better. If I could get something slightly staggered to get +2 or +3, that would be ideal.

I kind of have a suspicion I'll either end up buying in the $400 price range I listed and not being entirely happy with the gun, or spending $100-$200 more to get everything I'm looking for. More likely the latter than the former.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.