[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Waterproof shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7

File: gorkabitch.jpg (46KB, 599x599px) Image search: [Google]
gorkabitch.jpg
46KB, 599x599px
/k/ I am looking for some advice on waterproof jackets and pants. And I don't mean slightly resistant I mean waterproof, like those 500$ camping jackets and shit. I am going into the mountains for a few months and need some good stuff.

Also Gear thread
>>
Just wear a few trash bags
>>
>>30924436
I wish It was so simple, It rains a LOT where ill be
>>
bump, please help a fellow /k/ommando out from being wet
>>
>>30924422
Don't get Gorka if you want waterproof
>>
>>30924422
Just get gore tex. Patagonia, North Face or just go surplus.

just look up ECWCS on ebay if you want surplus

Gorka is made of canvas, it isnt waterproof
>>
>>30924464
Yeah I recently found that out, I just liked the look and thought they were waterproof but 100% cotton is bullshit
>>
You should try asking /out/ as well
>>
>>30924469
well yeah thats what im saying, i just cant figure out what surplus jackets actually are waterproof
>>
>>30924422
Gorkas are canvas, aren't waterproof but are wind-proof.
Get a Gork (totally not trying to get you to waste your money like I did) and a surplus poncho and go from there.
Most waterproof stuff is nice but breathes like shit.
>>
>gortex
Mine stopped working after a few hours in the rain
>>
>>30924498
I know, breatheablitly is a cool thing to have in general, it just bums me out because gorkas look so damn cool
>>
>>30924481
I just said ECWCS

Levels 5 and 6
>>
>>30924509
was it brand new?

my issued goretex was fine and thats after 100 other people wore it in the rain.,
>>
>>30924512
Ah! I see now, ok that is super helpful, thank you so much
>>
Does anyone have pictures of stuff that they own that has worked for them in the past?
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
The arcteryx alpha LT is the Citizen Kane of goretex hardshells
>>
>>30924561
I was looking at the arcteryx theta AR because its longer and im tall. But fucking 500$
>>
File: image.jpg (49KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 500x280px
>>30924561
>OP says he doesn't want to spend $500 on jacket
>recommends $500 rain jacket
Brilliant
>>
>>30924567
If you're going to get something that work and will last you through long trips you're gonna have to pony up the cash to get something good. If you cheap out you're going to have a really bad time.
>>
Its all good, turn this bitch into a gear thread, start posting now
>>
>>30924422
really can't beat the ugly dumb looking dollar store PVC poncho if you're sat on your ass drinking and fishing. but being 100% waterproof, 0% breathable means it's utterly horrible and useless if you're gonna break a sweat.
rubberised canvas army poncho has more /k/ cred, and it won't be holed by thorns or embers, but you can carry three or four of the plastic ones for the same weight and packsize.
>>
>>30924561
Beta hybrid Lt is better
I do also own alpha Lt though.
>>
>>30924567
Yeah, they're fucking expensive. And you can tell when you handle and wear them that a shit ton of time and effort went into making them a very high quality product. But you don't have to go dead bird, there are a lot of goretex hardshells out there in the $300 range that will serve you well.

Also, the most reliable way to stay dry is to simply use a poncho, even cheap ones work, but if you try and use a poncho innawoods, you'll realize quickly why most prefer a jacket, especially if you're using a backpack with it.

>>30924594
>anon can't read, like, at all
Brilliant
>>
>>30924422
gorka isnt waterproof mate, its windproof af tho
>>
File: KILL EM ALL 1989.jpg (8KB, 192x262px) Image search: [Google]
KILL EM ALL 1989.jpg
8KB, 192x262px
>all these americunt morons buying thousand dollar jackets

just get a really big trash bag and cut holes in hte bottom for your head and arms
>>
>>30924509
It most likely did not. Unless it's really old and worn out. What probably happened is you felt the condensation of your own sweat build up inside, because those things really aren't super breathable, despite claims to the contrary.
>>
File: DSCF6066.jpg (521KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF6066.jpg
521KB, 1200x1600px
won't surplus goretex work?
>>
>>30924746
This unfortunately

The reality is, if it's warm outside and it's raining, it's going to be humid as fuck. And if it's humid as fuck and you're doing strenuous activity while wearing a jacket, you're going to sweat, a lot. So either way really, you're going to end up wet. Wear the jacket and get wet in your own sweat, or just take your shirt off and get wet with rainwater. The rainwater is preferable to swear, and even though I have an expensive rain jacket I usually just go shirtless if it's raining when it's warm out.
>>
>>30924789
Pit zips nigga
Pit zips
>>
>>30924815
I haven't closed my pit zips yet. Still not enough ventilation to keep myself from sweating when it's super fucking humid outside
>>
>>30924822
If it's that warm and humid. Your best bet is to not wear the jacket, use it to keep a shirt dry for you to change into when the rain stops.
>>
>>30924422
Frogg Toggs all sport rain suit

>>30924760
Do your goretex to be leaking on you?

if it's surplus make sure it's brand new.
>>
>>30924594
You should learn to read.

>I mean waterproof, like those 500$ camping jackets

OP literally said he was looking for jackets in that price range.
>>
>>30924849
Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured out. I'd rather be shirtless and soaked in rain than soaked in sweat.

Also, I sort of have to battle this hardwired feeling of wet=bad. Really it's not going to hurt anything if I get soaked, as long as my items that need to stay dry are kept dry. As long as it's not colder temperatures where being wet could kill me, it really doesn't matter. Took me a while to realize that.
>>
Not OP but thanks for the advice fellas.
Moved from inna desert to inna woods with rain and occasional 100% humidity.
>>
>>30925067
If it's above 75, your probably better shirtless and soaked. Much below that, wear goretex. People have died of hypothermia at 60f.

Quick drying pants are often good enough if it's warm, wet, and your moving. And thin wool socks are GOAT.
>>
Just go and get a god damned colombia jacket and pants for 100 bucks.
>>
>>30926466
Columbia jacket that I owned was one of the shittiest jackets I've owned in my life
>>
>>30926981
Have mine for almost 3 years and it has been on 2 weeklong hunts for elk, muley, and pronghorn in northeast Wyoming hiking ~14 miles per day.
>>
>>30924422
Get rain pants/jacket. They throw on over clothes and let you layer. Eventually the waterproofing will wear up patch and move on. Don't get Gorka for waterproof gear.
>>
>>30927171
Agreed and if you are going to throw money at one of them it needs to be the pants because they are a bitch to shed and take more abuse than your jacket.
>>
I use either surplus goretex (leaks a little bit) or more recently anything made by Buffalo or Craghopper. Usually a mountain shirt and fleece lined crags, I'm a sucker for comfort.
>>
just get a goretex dutch DPM parka.
>>
>>30924722
>calls others dumb for not suggesting something stupid
>his stupid suggestion was literally the first replay

Not even original.
>>
>>30924722
>europoors have to literally wear trashbags just to stay dry

Fuck m8 I didn't know the gap between #1 and the rest was that large.
>>
>>30928035
Actually it's so when they get killed by refugees they're already mostly in a body bag. Don't want people seeing the headless bodies laying around and thinking bad of Islam.
>>
>>30924722
Acts as a good disguise when the Muslims take over too
>>
>>30924422
Ex-bum in Pacific Northwest here.

You want something that:
1. Breathes well,
2. Wicks moisture away from your skin, and
3. Has several layers.

Get something with an outer layer of canvas or leather, and an inner layer of mixed cotton/wool (or synthetic) padding. Carharts are good, if overkill, but you could just wear one of these.
>>
>>30928788
Logic is that it takes a while for the inner layer to get so wet that it's annoying, and it will dry quickly with a little wind. Wind isn't really a problem if you keep moving and the inner layer keeps in body heat. It makes the water evaporate faster.

When I wanted to dry off in Coos Bay, I would walk around with my pack until my body heat evaporated all the water. You could see steam rising off my clothes. Great way to lose weight too.
>>
>>30928788
>>30928826
Also dress in layers so you can add or remove them to suit rapid changes in temperature, humidity, and rainfall.
>>
Not OP, but on the topic of Gorka, does anyone know how good it is in snow? Not looking to use it as something waterproof as much as I am looking to use it as wind protection for winter.
>>
>>30928937
Seconding an answer for this. Ordered one from Kommandostore yesterday. What is the full extent of its protection?
>>
>>30925384
This nigga knows what's up. I don't even try to keep my pants dry anymore, as long as they dry off quickly I'm gtg.
>>
>>30928937
Gorka looks cool but it's relatively ancient tech garbage.
>>
>>30928937
>>30929128

Ive used mine to snowboard in, its good enough. It is mostly an outer layer for blocking wind. Really good for looking cheeki breeki on the slopes though
>>
File: image.jpg (13KB, 258x195px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13KB, 258x195px
>>30924422
Hey OP, i'm not going to read the thread and see if anyone has already said this (and you have agreed with them), but YOU KNOW GORKA ISNT WATERPROOF RIGHT?!?
>>
>>30928788
I like this idea. Pair it with a light nylon pocket poncho to slow the soaking process.
>>
>>30929232
>Not using dead bird on the slopes
Must have gathered some harsh stares on the lift
>>
>>30929128
Dont put it in the washing machine
>>
>>30929252
>>30924681
>>30924469
you guys know there's other gorks than the mk1 burlap sack, right? some of them are waterproof if memory serves.
that or the russkies make something similar that's waterproof.
>>
>>30924422
http://www.tacticalassaultgearstore.com/gore-tex-reversible-woodland-desert-jacket.html

for $30 bucks you cant beat it, or you can get the cold weather for $50

http://www.tacticalassaultgearstore.com/gore-tex-ecwcs-woodland-camo-parka-4600.html
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.