[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 232
Thread images: 41

File: PB9151LP.png (1MB, 1200x782px) Image search: [Google]
PB9151LP.png
1MB, 1200x782px
What is the consensus here on the 1911? I am looking to purchase my first gun, so I tried several at the range (Glock, M&P, USP, P226, some others) and the 1911 45cal was far and away my favorite, in terms of comfort in the hand & how accurately I as able to shoot it as well as aesthetically.

Also, it seems like there's an infinite amount of manufacturers that produce this thing. I tried a Colt and a Rock Island at the range. Both seemed fine. I was also looking at Springfield, Kimber, Smith & Wesson, etc. Any advice on how to narrow down my options or a good place to read reviews is appreciated because I am a total novice. (Note: I don't mind spending a little extra for something good quality / easier on the eyes that can be easily upgraded at a later time.)

I apologize in advance if this thread gets made all the time. First time poster & I didn't see anything about this gun in the sticky or catalog.
>>
File: 002.jpg (770KB, 1382x777px) Image search: [Google]
002.jpg
770KB, 1382x777px
>>30919873
I like em.

I prefer Thompson/Auto Ordnance.
>>
>>30919873

I was in the same predicament as you when I was looking for my first handgun, and I to found the 1911 to be the best feeling and shooting out of all the guns I tried. I shot the Springfield Armory Range Officer and loved it. I also own a baby 1911 in the form of a SA Range Office compact in 9mm and have no complaints.
>>
Have you tried 10mm, if you like it i would recommend the Delta Elite. But if not, I would recommend colt, they are a good company who make good firearms and plus they have a good custom shop.
>>
>>30919873
>What is the consensus here on the 1911?
That's about as dumb as asking for a consensus on Jesus Christ.
>>
>>30919873
Ruger, Colt, or Springfield. Dan Wesson if you have the cash.
Make sure your extractor is tuned and that your ammo type matches your magazines
>>
>>30919910
i had an auto ordinance 1911a1 that FTE'd with every other magazine no matter what i shoot it with. i figured it was a lemon.
>>
>>30920215
How old was it? THay had some problems back in the day, but they've since been ironed out.
>>
>>30920215
Sounds like a loose extractor to me.
>>
Price low to high: RIA tactical, Springfield range officer, Springfield TRP
>>
>>30920079
The Delta Elite's less A E S T H E T I C brother in .45 ACP is the Colt Combat Elite.
>>
File: image.jpg (34KB, 438x438px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34KB, 438x438px
>>30919873
>What is the consensus here on the 1911?
>consensus
>>
>>30920244
it was a gun that was sold new in store. i got it s few months back
>>30920253
if i recall correctly that was what a gunsmith said
>>
I love my 1911. But subjectively, .45 is simply too expensive for me to shoot just for funsies at 60 cents a round ($120 for 200 rounds).

A full-sized 1911 feels great in the hands, the weight dampens the recoil nicely, and the disassembly and reassembly process, while a bit more tedious than more modern firearms, isn't difficult and rather enjoyable if you have some nice music.
>>
>>30920448
>60 fucking cents a round for .45 ACP
You're grossly overpaying. Holy shit.
>>
>>30919873
theres a list rating the various 1911 makers. I dont have it but /k/ made it so somebody is bound to have it
>>
>>30920469
Gander Mountain, senpai. Been thinking of ordering online, but all the sites are so outdated in their design that I can't help but feel that they're shady in some way. Any suggestions?
>>
>>30920497
Bulkammo.com

Good prices and they ship fast as fuck. Usually get my orders in 3 days max.
>>
>>30919873
Best values: Ruger, or Dan Wesson if you want to spend some money.
>>
>>30920448
>60 cents a round
Jesus Christ. I never pay over .25
>>
>>30920514
Holy shit, I HAVE been overpaying, huh?
Fucking Minnesota.
Fucking Gander Mountain.

Thanks, dude.
>>
File: m&P series.jpg (273KB, 640x472px) Image search: [Google]
m&P series.jpg
273KB, 640x472px
>>30919873
>tfw im getting my first ccw soon
>between a 1911 and M@P sheilf
>sheild is smarter, but I love the way the 1911 feels over the sheild
>also more aesthetically pleasing and Im only going to afford one for a while

talk me into/out of it /k/ ?
>>
>>30920562
whynotboth.exe
>>
>>30919873
How much money are you willing to spend?

Less than $500: get a rock island armory. It's old school GI but they run very well

Less than 700-800: go with a Ruger 1911. They look nicer, have better sights, good but not great fit and finish, and have some upgrades to make it nicer. They aren't "semi-custom" (to my knowledge) like Kimber which helps with reliability issues and needing to adjust parts.

Over $1000: Smith & Wesson Performance Center look awesome most of the time and are nice shooters. A little more for a Dan Wesson would be my advice. Then you get a custom kickass gun.

Personally I would say go for a Ruger SR1911. It's a good value and you won't be disappointed. You can always get a nicer one down the road if you want to. It's better than your bare bones entry level but isn't as expensive as some of the semi-custom or custom 1911s
>>
File: Colt.jpg (69KB, 800x480px) Image search: [Google]
Colt.jpg
69KB, 800x480px
Got a Para Elite for a helluva deal, and later realized I wanted a rail to mount a light on it. So, I grabbed a ReCover grip and a TLR-3. Now I need a holster for it. I would like to be able to switch from IWB to OWB by changing out the belt-clips if possible, is Raven Concealment my best deal there?

> Anyone know of anywhere having a deal on 10 round mags? I prefer Chip McCormick Power Mags, but Wilson Combat work too.

Have my Grandads .38 Colt in payment for the info, not a 1911, but by God it's the most valuable item I have (thanks to sentimental value)
>>
>>30920535
No problem man, glad to help.
>>
Pretty comfy
>>
I would love to get my frail fingers on an O1911 or O1918, but I've read Colt stopped making the reproductions. FML
>>
Not OP but I want to get a handgun
is a beretta 92f considered a decent gun?

1911s are probably what ill go with
glocks look like plastic pieces of shit to me
i want it to look like a deagle but fire a round that i could kill someone in my house and not have my arm kick back 9 feet and shoot my neighbor in the head by accident
>>
>>30922981
>implying that isn't a new tactical move
>shoot in front of you and strike dindu
>recoil throws arm behind you and you pull trigger
>catch dindu's homie tryin sneak up fo dat glawck fotay
>recoil from rear shot throws arm back forward allowing for Mozambique drill
I call it the 1,2 Rhodesian special.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2567x2108px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2567x2108px
Anyone have a Springfield champion sized gun with the bushingless barrel? I need to change myth use rod spring, but I don't really see how to change it out. It requires using a paper clip to get the gun apart, which stops the spring from moving forwards.

I had several FTEject last night and issues with the gun not going into slide lock. I'm about 750 rounds into this gun. When I got home I stripped the slide and cleaned out the extractor and firing pin holes. I'm going to try polishing the feed ramp tonight and probably the barrel also.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>30923034
>1,2 Rhodesian special
ahh the classic 1,2 Rhodesian special
>>
>>30923434
please dude please please please start using google. you aren't a 5yr old.

you pull the slide back, stick the paperclip in the tiny hole, then push the slide forward. i just googled it, it took 3min. you're not 5yrs old, and please don't call things "change myth use rod spring," we have proper nomenclature for a reason.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>30923467
The change myth guide rod thing was an autocorrect typo. I meant "change my guide rod spring." I know how to disassemble the gun, what I'm having trouble doing is actually removing the spring from the guide rod. It appears to be captured, and Springfield didn't include any instructions. YouTube is also kind of sparse on help.

I was asking here because I thought perhaps someone else would have had to do the same thing for theirs.

My apologies for asking a 1911 question in a 1911 thread.
>>
>>30920497
>>30920514
Also ammoman.com free shipping over $99.
>>
>>30923515
either state your consensus on the 1911 or shut up

OP is looking for info on Springfields so feel free to pitch in about it, the Champions are in his price range
>>
>>30923515
Details on the 1911 pictured here?
>>
File: DSCI1023.jpg (4MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSCI1023.jpg
4MB, 4000x3000px
Wew, a 1911 thread! Maybe yall can help me:

Recently a member of our local community passed. His family is looking to get rid of his guns. Caught wind of it, said I might be interested. Of interest to me is mostly his 1911. Now I don't know much about 1911s, thats why I am here.

Its obviously in 45acp, and its got "Safari Arms" printed on the side. From this I deduced it to be most likely a Matchmaster 5 (or maybe 6) by Safari Arms (duh) which may or may not have been or have become Olympic Arms. The serial number might be (didn't check when I held it, and the pic I have is kinda blurry) in the 80k range. Also included would be a separate barrel and slide in 9mm.
The person I talked to (this is a "neighbour of a friend of a friend" kinda thing) didn't know how much the owners would want for it.

So my question now -
-Safari Arms - never heard of them. Stay away or look closer? (i.e. is it my local version of Taurus, or some niche hipster thing?)
-their 1911 any good? (I seen an article saying they sell a $500 AR15, not sure if thats bad or good)
-how much would one of their 1911 be worth? (hardmode: in €, for a citizen of the caliphate of Germanistan)
-anything to look at when I shoot it on Saturday? Generally, what to look for in used handguns?

>buying a 1911 as your first gun
Also, pic related. And yes, thats a picture of a shitty copy of a low-ink printout of what was a blurry picture to begin with, but thats the best I got for you right now.
>>
Anyone own an Ed Brown? Somehow I ended up on their catalogue mailing list. They're sexy as fuck but no way I could afford one right now at $3k minimum.
>>
>>30920861
Oh look, it's Hammerless's homely cousin.
>>
>>30919873
Colt or Springfield desu senpai.

If you can pay high dollar, Ithaca, Wilson Combat, Les Baer, or Nighthawk make some real cutie pies.

Also, I hear good things about Para-Ordnance's double stack model, if more capacity is something you seek.

I had a Springfield 1911A1. Just a base model, nothing crazy. The tolerances were super fucking tight, the finish was gorgeous (SS model) and she shot great. If price is a concern I'd reccomend finding one of these, they're already relatively cheap brand new but used can be had for like $600.
>>
>>30922981
>i want it to look like a deagle but fire a round that i could kill someone in my house and not have my arm kick back 9 feet and shoot my neighbor in the head by accident
They sell deagles in .357 magnum, which is pretty tame out of the enormous block of metal and gas-system that is the deagle.
>>
>>30923783
Buy it just so it doesn't get destroyed by retarded female descendants. You can always have a gunsmith fix whatever you don't like later.
>>
File: aa.jpg (88KB, 781x820px) Image search: [Google]
aa.jpg
88KB, 781x820px
>>30924260
Nothing brightens my day like casual sexism
>>
>>30919873
There are indeed tons, it all depends on how much you want to spend at the end of the day and what features you want and/or care about.

If you can't tell the difference between a Colt and an RIA though you aren't a good enough shooter or can't appreciate finer details like fit, trigger, finish, etc. That's not to say you won't eventually.

Nevertheless, RIA is probably the best bottom-dollar choice for something NIB. There are some others there but in all honesty I don't really know much about 1911s in this range. What I do know is that RIA can be pretty hit or miss sometimes, although considerably less than others here. Thomson/AO is also considered fairly nice.

I would say in the next tier you're best to put your money into either Ruger or Springfield Armory. Ruger is great but SA wins out between the two, although it's a tad more expensive. If it's in the budget to get an SA over a Ruger then go for it. But if you like the features of the SR1911 and don't have the budget for a 1911 with it's features then just go with Ruger.

Above that we still have SA, but you can safely go with Colt, S&W and Sig. Purists don't like S&W for it's external extractor (nevermind what people say about it's reliability) and some don't like Sig (me) because of the external extractor AND the funny slide shape, although they make traditional slides too.

Keep going and you still find the aforementioned, but you can add in Dan Wessons as well. Generally at this point we're looking at $1,400 and up, and you'd be hard pressed to get something bad in this range. After here you're looking at semi-custom and custom, and those are pretty much all safe bets, it's really just a matter of budget.

People say avoid Kimber, all I know is I've shot a few that people have put thousands through without issue. That's anecdotal though, it's hard to ignore what is said about the QC issues that have been rampant in recent years.
>>
>>30924523
Next we have mags...

Factory mags from any reputable 1911 manufacturer are a safe bet, but they're generally not worth the price.

ACT mags literally shatter, Pro Mag is shit.

Mec Gar is considered decent, Wilson Combat is considered the gold standard, but IMO, while pretty, are over-priced and over-engineered.

CMC mags are cheap and solid, plus they make great ten rounders, Tripp Research is generally considered the best of the best among 1911 snobs, although pricey as well.
>>
>>30920010
This. I have the RO compact .45. Damn sweet pistol. Springfield are worth a look.
>>
File: image.jpg (804KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
804KB, 2048x1536px
>>30919873
SIG
I
G
>>
>>30924260
They are neither retarded, nor necessarily female. They just have no use or need for those guns. Shooting is an expensive hobby over here (e.g. .45acp starts at 0.40€=$.45), maybe they cant afford it. Whatever.

Also in all honesty if it's just a meh tier gun (I don't know, thats literally what I am trying to find out by asking here) it'd probably be not worth the hassle of our ridonculous registration process... considering for instance that we can only own a total of two handguns at one time... I'd rather fill those slots with two nice guns, than two guns I hastily bought to "save" them.

tl;dr
thanks for your insightful reply
>>
>>30920275
you have shit taste in 1911s
>>
>>30920629
impoor.exe
>>
File: cirno HUE.png (647KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
cirno HUE.png
647KB, 900x900px
>>30919910

You dirty rotten son of a bitch. I lol'd
>>
File: image.jpg (726KB, 3240x1426px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
726KB, 3240x1426px
>>30923753
It's a champion lightweight operator from Springfield. I like it, but I'm running into the aforemententioned issues. Don't talk about them, or some anon will get butt hurt and tell you to use google.

It's a 4" 1911 with a rail, night sights, and springfield's proprietary bushing-less barrel and guide rod with a captured recoil spring. It shoots well, and the trigger's nice. I swapped my original grips with VZ operator (2 I think) because they come with a thumb notch at no extra cost. It's also got a TLR-1, if that's also pertinent.

>>30923664
I think a doctor could get that sand out of your vagina if your insurance could cover it.
>>
>>30925342
excuse me?
>>
>>30923813
I own one. Great guns, I'd recommend saving up if you're thinking about wanting one.
>>
>>30919873
OP if you're still around I'll say the 1911 is one of my least favorite pistol designs, and the .45 is even lower on the list of calibres in my mind and yet - if you tried several and you like this one and fire it accurately. , then go for it. That's what's really important. Better a weapon that fits in your hand nicely and hits where you aim it in a shitty calibre than the other way around, any day. Bullet placement is the most important thing. The shittiest cartridge in the world is still more than enough to kill a man at close range if you can simply place your bullets accurately.

But I wouldn't go from 'this 1911 is nice in my hand' to 'I'm going to love any 1911'

Decide how much you can spend, look at pistols in that price range. See how they feel in your hand. When you find a good candidate *test it* and make sure it's accurate before you commit.

Each weapon, like each human, is an individual. It's perfectly possible for you to love one 1911 and hate the next.
>>
>>30926714

auto ords are legendary piles of shit. nice troll sempai
>>
>>30925356
>I swapped my original grips with VZ operator (2 I think)
Yeah, those are the Operator II's,the I's have diamonds in the front. I know because I have them on mine.
>>
>>30926837
I like them a lot. I've also got a set of the Frag grips for CC/when I let people with soft hands shoot my gun.

I guess I'm gonna get some Wilson springs for my Champion Operator. I'm not sure what weight I need to get.
>>
>>30919873

Dude, just get a Colt. You will not be disappointed.
>>
>>30926824
They had problems 15 years ago. get over it.
>>
>>30926794
Keep in mind that there are 9x19mm and 10mm 1911s. If he likes the pistol design but not the caliber he's got some good options.
>>
File: 1911_Para_Ordnance_build_kit.jpg (231KB, 1500x1260px) Image search: [Google]
1911_Para_Ordnance_build_kit.jpg
231KB, 1500x1260px
>>30927276
Anyone build a 1911builders 80%? I'm considering getting link related. I'm thinking about doing the 416 stainless version and a simple bead blasting for the finish.

https://1911builders.com/collections/416r-stainless-steel-kits/products/copy-of-1911-80-full-size-aluminium-5-build-kit-with-phantom-fixture
>>
They are great guns desu. I got a Springfield range officer full size in 45 and I love it. I kind of wish I got 9mm but I'm going to buy a sig.
>>
>>30923783

Safari Arms makes eh...-tier 1911s. they hopped on the late 90's 1911 craze and honestly they're not great.

there's plenty of 1911 checklists out there.

>>30923515

should be that you depress the reverse plug enough to remove tension from the paper clip and remove it, then let the reverse plug forward. my Dawson Toolless guiderod is similar in principle of operation.
>>
File: 1469646676055.jpg (34KB, 645x397px) Image search: [Google]
1469646676055.jpg
34KB, 645x397px
>>30919873
The 1911 is the pinnacle of interpersonal conflict resolution technology; anything which came before is obsolete, anything which came after is superfluous.

It's literally the best pistol in the world, get one.

pic unrelated
>>
File: PI9130LP_R.jpg (2MB, 3212x1818px) Image search: [Google]
PI9130LP_R.jpg
2MB, 3212x1818px
does anyone have the springfield range officer I'm thinking of it as my first handgun? if so what cal & what sights did you get?
>>
>>30920738

You can get a Series 70 for about 800/900 if you look in the right places. And if that's what he's willing to spend on a 1911 then that's my suggestion.

God damn they handle like a dream and you're literally holding history in your hands. It wouldn't be a bad suggestion to get a set of 3-dot tritium sights for it however
>>
>>30924429

You haven't been on this board very long if you haven't seen the myriad of posts stating how female members of a family decided they hated guns and sold their granddads/dads collection when they were originally gonna give them to someone.

The most egregious examples I could think of were a mom pawning her son's WASR after his father gave it to him, and somebody's mom literally sending her father's WW2 1911 to be MELTED into a piece of wall art before his grandson could get it
>>
>>30924658
series 80 safety fuck no
>>
>>30927505
Thanks for the advice regarding the spring. I'm gonna try it tonight and see how it works out.

Currently, my spring has a gritty sound to it, so I don't know if cleaning it would be enough to rectify my issues or not. I'll try it and see what happens.
>>
>>30928026

i'm assuming you've at this point removed the entire assembly from the slide.

unless you've got a recoil assembly that retains the reverse plug with something at the front? i'm betting that unscrews if that's the case.
>>
>>30927505
>eh...-tier 1911s.
>honestly they're not great.
Hm.
So, any number of $s (or € if you dare) that should be the "nope" mark for me?

Thx btw for the first actual answer in like 3 threads
>>
>>30928750
i'd say $700-800 USD. it's going to be somewhat worthwhile just for the unique frame.
>>
>>30928822

actually upon a bit of further research: if it's a pre-Olympic gun, (1987 or before) it's going to be a good gun. after and it's probably one of those things where you'd better take a look at it given its finger groove. but either way the frame is going to be unique.
>>
>>30928880
>pre-Olympic gun, (1987 or before)
Well it has what seems to be a 5-digit serial number, probably 82037. According to Olympic Arms, thats not a thing (http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13&Itemid=27), their S/N are either 4 digits and/or have a 2-3 character alphabetic prefix (and would thus be 6+ characters total).
>>
>>30926747
Which model do you have?
>>
>>30927631
I have the RO compact with those sights. Good pistol, my man. Go for it. If you prefer 9mm it isnt a bad option. .45 is still my choice.
>>
I own two Springfield 1911s. They are of superb quality. My favorite pistols in my collection by far (out of 10 handguns).

I would stay away from the cheap companies, and stay in the $1000 range. You can get some really high quality firearm for that money. GL with your search.

Just a PS. Stay away from Sig. Heard they are really hit or miss as far reliability. They sure are pretty tho.
>>
>>30920079
>10mm for first time shooter

>>30920340
DELET THIS
>>
>>30929116
>Just a PS. Stay away from Sig. Heard they are really hit or miss as far reliability. They sure are pretty tho.
Uh what? modern production Sigs are very reliable.
>>
>>30927413

Anyone? I'm really considering this. The rail cutter can also be used to build a Sig P229 so I'm going to do that first (it is much easier to build than the 1911), but then do a 1911.

Has anyone here built a 1911, from 80% or a frame?
>>
>>30919873
A 1911 was my first pistol and I was happy. It's accurate, fun to shoot, point naturally, and has a nice trigger.

That being said they aren't as easy to CC if you're wanting that and ammo is going to cost more than 9mm.

If you want a cheap entry level 1911 a Rock Island is totally fine. I'd recommend you save up a bit more and get something like a Springfield or something though.
>>
>>30929576
What about CCing a 3" Officer model?
>>
the cheapest i'd go with would be a colt 1991 series 70

you need to pay a certain amount of $$$ to get a reliable 1911, because low end 1911s are notorious for fte/ftf. it's a complex anachronistic design that needs a certain level of attention to detail in order to achieve the desired level of function (which at the least should be reliable feeding, shooting, and ejecting)

sig sauer actually makes some pretty nice 1911s if youre looking for one that you might carry. my advice would be go buy some of the ammo you plan to use in the gun (hollowpoints, flat nose, w/e) and then take that to the range and see if they'll let you run it thru the gun. a lot of cheapass 1911s will only feed ball ammo reliably so watch out.
>>
>>30920340
Personal pref man. I like the old commander look the Delta has. The 2016 XSE style Delta is all mixed feelings for me
>>
>>30928982
>>30928982
Custom combo of features. If you're getting an Ed Brown, might as well get exactly what you want.
>>
>>30923434
For the love of God leave the feed ramp alone. Don't fucking touch it
>>
>>30920535
>minnesota
Mills fleet farm has pretty decent ammo prices
>>
>>30930214
Can you post a picture? I want to see its sexiness in a real photo rather than a catalogue.
>>
File: Baer Mountain.jpg (319KB, 960x908px) Image search: [Google]
Baer Mountain.jpg
319KB, 960x908px
>>30930264
I actually don't have any., so here's a picture of my Baer instead.
>>
>>30919873

It's pretty much a defunct gun only useful for the range. I'd recommend going with a glock, or at least a striker fired Sig.

When you compare a 1911 to these combat pistols, it's like comparing an H2 Hummer to a M1 Abrams. Would you really want a Hummer strapped to your hip? Think it over OP. I think you'll make the right choice, and choose Glock - Perfection.
>>
>>30930434
Superb taste in books.
>>
>>30930434
Woah that book is a nostalgia trip.
>>
>>30929469

I remember reading reviews on sig 1911s, and i heard very mixed reviews on them. I guess it could have been user error. do you have any personal experience with them?

Does anyone here rock a sig 1911? Care to post a review?
>>
>>30930205
I like the XSE style and Springfield Loaded, at least aesthetically.
>>
How bad of an idea is it to buy a nice 1911 as my first one? I'm talking something in the 2k range, like a Ed Brown, Les Baer, STI, etc.
>>
>>30930975
If you already know you like 1911's you're pretty much wasting money by doing it the other way.
>>
>>30931009
My grandpa has a 1911a1 that I fired at the range a few times. I don't own a pistol though, just an AR15.

I feel like I'd be that guy at the range who has a nice gun but can't hit shit with it if I bought something that nice. Most people have "regular" 1911s, not fancy $2000 ones.
>>
File: rABw9rI.png (100KB, 292x257px) Image search: [Google]
rABw9rI.png
100KB, 292x257px
>>30920079

Colt... good company...

Is that why they lost their contract buddy?
>>
>>30931345
Loose Rounds seems to be in love with the Delta Elite from this year.
>>
Pretty good.
>>
>>30931050
Practice makes perfect, anon, there's no shame in having to build up your skills.
>>
>>30927691
>everything on this site is creative fiction
>only a fool would take anything posted here as fact

Why is it that whenever someone has a story of defending themselves or BTFOing an anti-gun, everyone here is doubtful or outright calls the poster a liar, but the moment it's about a female doing something stupid, it's accepted as the gospel truth?

Y'all niggas have unresolved emotional issues.
>>
>>30931765
>t. Roastie
>>
OP here, thanks so much to all of you for the helpful replies. Seems like people are overwhelmingly recommending Springfield and Colt. That's right in the strike zone for me, budget wise, so I'll probably try to hone in on a specific model from one of those two manufacturers, do a lot of research, and lurk around this board in the meantime.
>>
>>30930476
Kill yourself with your Glock
>>
>>30933258
Can't, only 9mm.
>>
I bought a Ruger SR1911 for my first gun. How badly did i fuck up? I mean it's really solid, and I can get decent groupings at engagement ranges, but did I make a mistake to begin with?
>>
>>30933518
If you enjoy the gun and can get good accuracy with it, you did fine. 1911s are like AR-15s, x86 PCs, or any other open platform. Buy what you like, and upgrade as necessary.
>>
>>30929483
>Has anyone here built a 1911, from 80% or a frame?
No, but I've read quite a bit into it.

Here is what I have gathered:

>Buy all the right tools, don't try to nigger-rig anything, you'll just end up spending more money
>Don't go super cheap, at least a step or two above, but no reason to buy top-shelf everything, it's a learning process
>Expect to have to replace parts cause you bought a shitty cheap one, something incompatible or just fucked it up
>Have tons of patience and realize you will have to reassemble the same stuff many, many times to get the right fit

It's an investment, don't expect it to be like many other things you can build yourself and expect to have something better while paying less. At least not for the first few, and especially considering the cost of specialized tools (never mind conventional tools you may or may not already have).

Then again, everyone's experience varies. Some of us are more technical, have eyes for details, do more research, buy different parts, have different skills with tools. You could go anywhere from finishing up with a jammomatic piece of crap if you're a careless moron to something rivaling a custom $4,000 pistol if you're some sort of 1911 savant.

Just do yourself a favor and research plenty, there's many blogs and forum posts about doing it, they all offer some useful knowledge and some people can go into quite a bit of detail and offer quite a bit of anecdotal experience.

Have fun.
>>
>>30935516
I've built several 80% ARs, but I'll tell you this. I wont go into the 1911 with plans to cheap out. I know it will require several hundred in specialty tools.

I know there are certain processes, like lapping the slide, or fitting the beavertail, that take a lot of detailed work and time. For this reason I am going to build a P229 first. The rail cutter can be used for the P229 and 1911, and the P229 frame is Aluminum instead of SS, so lapping the slide is much easier.

I have done a lot of research, I don't expect to spend less than 2000 on the project for a high quality, but bare bones build. I'm mainly looking for little tips you don't get from the average forum post or youtube video.
>>
>>30919873
1911'a are my favorite pistol and I own more than I will admit to. That being said, I have to admit that they can be finicky even though it pains me to say it. If you have one that shoots well and doesn't give you trouble, you are good to go. The problems I run into are things like production guns that need stuff like extractor work and the feed ramp cut on the frame being way off spec right out of the box. I have never run into these problems with my USP, CZ, etc.

Please spare me for this post, 1911 gods.
>>
>>30923515
EGW makes a captured spring assembly like the OEM you're talking about for champions that drops right in and is an upgrade to the factory part.
>>
>>30927631
I have a RO in 9mm that went to Springfield's custom shop for some love and it has been great. Very accurate and I have never had a malfunction with it.
>>
>>30935972
1911s are designed by and for the sort of detail-oriented manufacturing you get from better gun companies. Browning did not fuck around. Cheap shit clone makers have a lot more rope with which to hang themselves making 1911s compared to slavshit, and the USP is only made by HK.
>>
File: 2016-08-10 13.05.37.jpg (3MB, 1677x2979px) Image search: [Google]
2016-08-10 13.05.37.jpg
3MB, 1677x2979px
>>
File: DSCN0049.jpg (1MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0049.jpg
1MB, 2816x2112px
>>30919873
do homework aot of post are positive here about Springfield armory, Colt are always great, RIA is budget and many here adore them (myself included). the big difference I would say is guide rod (full length or GI) and wether it is a series 80 or not
to understnad the series 80 I refer you to this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chEOAb0C2Is
be forewarned the video producer dislikes the series 80 design and I do not either.
Ruger RIA and Colt series 70 do not have the 80 safety mechanism-most 1911 manufactures follow series 80 idea, they include but are not limited to STI, Sig, LES Baer, most the custom shops and probably Springfield, you have to specifically find out form the manufacture if they do this

magazines-buy Wilson combat
note on full length guide disassembly is different a one piece guide rod is recommended, my tac FS has one and I do not mind it as it is not that hard to disassemble
>>
>>30936220
Series 70 Makers:

Les Bear
Ed Brown
Nighthawk
Wilson Combat
Dan Wesson
STI (Texas)
Fusion Firearms
Chuck Rogers
Ruger
Springfield
Colt (Both)
American Classic
ATI
Rock Island Armory (RIA)
Armscor

Series 80 Makers:

Tarus
Para Ordinance
Remington
Kimber
Sig Sauer
Smith Wesson
>>
>>30936253
Not that I ever looked it up but for some reason I always assumed that Colt was the only one that ever made a series 80 1911. This is good to know just in case.

With the exception of Sig and Smith though I wouldn't bother with the other series 80 manufacturers anyway. Even with those guys I'm a little bit of a purist and prefer the internal extractor (and regular slide)

Although I have long wanted the SW1911SC for a carry 1911... I'll overlook the series 80 safety for it.
>>
>>30937359
>>30936253

Kimber uses a Swartz safety which is actuated by the grip safety, not the trigger like the Series 80
>>
>>30919873
its one of the most comfortable and best range guns, easy to hit targets and be accurate. excellent balance and trigger pull

but not reliable enough for self defense. my 1911 is my range gun and my g21 is my nightstand gun
>>
>>30937359
>Swartz safety
colt does it for the majority their 1911's now you want something other their series 70 labeled you go to go to their custom shop, (I looked into this I want a colt someday), not surprised by the list really
>>
>>30937720
still not something I want in my 1911
>>
>>30937816

agreed. it's better than the Series 80 but not by much. but they and S&W don't have a trigger actuated firing pin safety. the Series 80 works on a different principle of operation than the Swartz.

>>30937806

Colt does the Series 80
>>
File: Colt-M45A1-1.jpg (483KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
Colt-M45A1-1.jpg
483KB, 800x533px
>>30937720
>Kimber uses a Swartz safety which is actuated by the grip safety, not the trigger like the Series 80
Good to know, if only to know. I am not concerned over the supposed effect of the safety on the trigger. I own a 1991 and have felt a few other series 80 triggers, to me the safety is imperceptible on the trigger pull.

My gripe with it is it adds needless complexity to the 1911, and looking at the Kimber style Swartz safety it is still complex as well. Not that I plan on detail stripping my 1911s much, but I have stripped my 1991 a couple of times to replace parts and it's a royal PITA to put everything back in compared to a 1911 that doesn't have those safeties.

So if I can, I will avoid it, but like I said, I would bite the bullet to get a desirable 1911 like that S&W I posted. A little extra hassle

>>30937806
If I got a Colt it'd either be because it was a good deal or it was a M45A1 model (yes, I like it, all of it, so what)
>>
>>30937734
>but not reliable enough for self defense.
Pure bollocks. Over my years as a cop the 1911's have consistently had fewer malfunctions during training than all the other pistols in use, generally seeing 0 malfunctions. This year we had one, an ftf on a Kimber, probably a result of babying the slide as the guy racked his slide and had no more problems, including firing off the offending round and none of the other 1911 guys had any problems.

Our other sidearms are p229's, Glocks, and M&P's. The Sigs occasionally have problems feeding, but usually run without hickups. The Glocks and S&W's always have at least one stovepipe per 50 rounds and occasionally fail to feed.

The 1911 is perfectly reliable compared to other pistols.
>>
>>30937734
>but not reliable enough for self defense

Why is that? I've got at least a couple thousand rounds through my 1911 that I use as a carry gun and it has had zero failures. Why wouldn't I want to carry it or have it on my night stand for self defense? It's proven reliable, accurate, and to me it offers all the comforts of the 1911 platform: good grip, trigger, aim, etc.

Saying it's not reliable enough for self defense is a load of BS.

Are all 1911s reliable? No, cause they're all made differently, with different parts, with different materials, of different sizes by different manufacturers with different tolerances and specifications. Would you judge a Springfield because you shot an RIA that kept giving you FTFs? No.

Maybe some won't survive YouTube torture tests, but unless you plan on throwing down around any mud pits I wouldn't have a single worry about a 1911, or any other semi-auto, that I've put a few hundred rounds in to protect me.
>>
What about the Stan Chen 1911? I mean, if you're getting something for yourself, you might as well go all the way.
>>
10mm vs .45 ACP for defensive use? I already have a few hundred rounds of .44 magnum, so if I need bear defense I'd bring a revolver.
>>
>>30938763
huh, had not looked into him. any reviews on him?

also besides the Sig Max Michel, any .40 S&W 1911s out there? asking because for USPSA Single Stack, .40 is the caliber of choice. not going to be a defensive gun - going to be raced-out.
>>
>>30939663

.45 ACP has a more manageable reccoil impulse for me, if I chose between those two I'd go with .45 acp since it doesn't really make a difference otherwise. In reality, however, I own a glock 19 in 9mm as my defensive sidearm.
>>
Can anyone here offer an OBJECTIVE opinion on the Taurus PT1911? I know Taurus has a spotty reputation, but the reviews I've read say it's a great gun for the money.
>>
>>30939663
There's zero difference in caliber lethality.

Just carry a gun you can comfortably shoot and conceal.
>>
File: 1460516191036.jpg (616KB, 1950x2400px) Image search: [Google]
1460516191036.jpg
616KB, 1950x2400px
Here you go
>>
>>30945237
>nightshit, springshit and cawlt in the same tier as SVI
NOPE
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>
>>30945237
and yet the gun I am looking into >>30923783 is not on there. What do...
>>
>>30947337
/k/ infographics very rarely tell the whole truth
>>
File: soldiers of ww2.png (96KB, 1162x421px) Image search: [Google]
soldiers of ww2.png
96KB, 1162x421px
>>30948325
tru
>>
>>30945379

probably from a lack of understanding of what SVI really is - a made-to-order custom shop that's competition-focused.
>>
>>30919873
springfield xd
>>
>>30922967
>

Same here. I wanted one of those new 1903's but they were all gone fast damn I want one so bad
>>
>>30920476
I'd be very interested in this, if anyone has it saved.
>>
>>30927701
I bought my first gun a while ago and its a series 80. Is it really that bad?
>>
>>30950644

trigger's mushier than a series 70
>>
>>30919873
Owned dozens, likely worked on hundreds. Lost count.

If I carry a 1911, it's a '44 vintage Colt M1911A1, with one of the 1980's era chrome lined barrels.
I had it worked by one of the smiths at Gunsite back in the 1990's .

The 1913 SA I sold long ago as it got stupidly valuable, but IT was still a very practical handgun.

I still have a Ballester-Molina as it has a very nice trigger, and a decent combination of 1911A1 and 1911 features, while still being cheap enough to replace if one of my silly handloads spreads the slide.

You could do far worse than a modern 1911 for a carry piece, assuming what you have is tested.
>>
>>30931765
>Y'all
Confirmed SJW. The folksy term used to bring yourself "down to their level" is a clear sign, as well as accusing the people that don't share your views of having mental problems. It's a disgusting tactic.
>>
>>30935972
Do you have the Remington R1 Carry? If so, how is it compared to stuff like Colt 70 series?
>>
>>30938450

People say that because many 1911s out there need a breaking in period or some slight modification to be 99.9% accurate.

So they see some youtube videos and they hear their buddy getting jams with his RIA 1911 that he's only put 150 rounds through, and they think that the gun is 'unreliable'.

I'm not going to say that 1911s are as reliable out of the box as modern pistols are. I'm also not going to say that all 1911s need breaking in either.

My Colt M1991a1 (a bottom tier colt 1911) that i've had since june of 1997 has malfunctioned 6 times over the course of 20,000 rounds. 2 of them were related to a woman limp wristing it.

My glock 19 (which i love dearly and which has never been fired by a woman) has malf'ed twice and it has almost 10k rounds through it.

I'd trust my life with either gun. I carry the 19 because i'm a capacity fag, but if I ever chose to carry my 1911, I wouldn't have the slightest worry that it would fail me.
>>
>>30919873
Had a shit GI back when the GIs were made in Brazil.

Now I have a TRP. Love the shit out of my TRP.

Get a Springfield over the Kimber shit. Kimber is pure shit, overpriced, overhyped, shit. Smith makes good ones, not worth a shit unless it's a performance center or pro series model though.

Sigs are good. Springfields are good. Rock Islands are cheap, and thus good.
>>
>>30950915
>entire post
Autism speaks.
>>
>>30951062
What about Colt and Remington?
>>
>>30951022
You keep track of every malfunction your guns have?
>>
>>30951072

Colt is the only true 1911.
>>
>>30951072
Colt is overpriced. But they have a pony on the side, so they're cool if you like ponies. But an $800 GI pistol is bullshit when you can get better sights on the same gun from Springfield.

Remingtons make me laugh. They just suck. Same with Rugers. They'd be OKAY if they were the same price as the Rock Islands.
>>
File: r1.jpg (288KB, 1240x692px) Image search: [Google]
r1.jpg
288KB, 1240x692px
>>30951098
>>30951087
But >muh aesthetics...

So Sig is a better choice than a Colt in the $1,200 price range?
>>
>>30951078

>he doesn't get so severely traumatized when his gun malfs that he forever remembers the shame of it

Seriously though, I always remember malfunctions with any of my guns (except for my ruger mk. III as i expected it to malf when brand new and with shit ammo).

The first time my Glock 19 malfunctioned it was like the first time someone told me santa claus didn't exist. It was my 22nd birthday weekend 8 years ago. I thought it was impossible and I was crushed.
>>
>>30951129
In my opinion?

Yes. All Sig 1911s are serialized when machined, with the frame and slide matched. And then only one gunsmith works on it start to finish.

But damn pony guns look cool though. I want a Colt, so I can carry it when driving my Mustang.

>>30951135
Every gun can malfunction. Especially if the parts are getting old. Took me about 8 months to track down every problem part on my Interarms PPK/s. Picked it up for $200 mind you, so I'm not complaining.
>>
>>30951155
What Sig would you recommend then? P220 Match Elite or 1911 Traditional Match Elite?
>>
>>30951171
If you're including the P series? The P220.

Out of the 1911's? Whichever you want. I'm fond of the Fastback Nightmare, because it's just plain fucking sexy.
>>
>>30951196
These are the only 2 I found at a local dealer.
>>
>>30951171
P220 is much different from a 1911, although like most modern pistols it borrows from the browning design.
>>
>>30951239
Sig 1911s don't get made very often. And the P320's and Legion series are taking up most of their pistol line right now.

Either of those is a good option, the 220 should be a DA/SA. If you want a 1911, go with the 1911. What's the dealer charging for the Match Elite?
>>
>>30920497
They're old in design because the majority of orders are probably in their 40s and up. Why fix something that isn't broken you could say
>>
File: trp.jpg (6KB, 278x181px) Image search: [Google]
trp.jpg
6KB, 278x181px
where are my TRP bros at
>>
>>30951295
>Stainless TRP

Pig Disgusting.
>>
>>30951289
The P220 Match Elite is $1,690 here, and the Traditional Match Elite is $1,566.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 1936x1835px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1936x1835px
>So it begins.
Wish me luck guys. What could possibly go wrong?

I'm going to pvd coat the frame and slide black afterwards...if my buddy will still do it for free for me.
>>
>>30951337
Your dealer is fucking you in the ass.

Those are both ~$1200 guns. Fuck him, order online or go to even a Cabelas.
>>
>>30951351

why not a metal grip?
>>
>>30951337
Also, I found 1911 STX and P220 Super Match at another dealer, all cost more or less the same.
>>
>>30951360
Unfortunately I'm (literally) a Yuropoor, so ordering directly is not possible.
>>
>>30951363
Didn't want to bother with it for now. And plastic was a lot cheaper
>>
File: bailse.jpg (68KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
bailse.jpg
68KB, 700x500px
>>30951380
Ah, shit. You're up shit creek then.
>>
>>30951391

eh... it's something you'd want to get eventually anyway. what caliber? gonna get a mag well?
>>
>>30951395
Yep.
>tfw a decent 1911 costs almost double the average monthly wage here

Judging solely on looks, I really like the 1911 STX model. It comes with Novak sights here because it goes through Germany where tritium ones are banned, so they swap them,
>>
>>30951439
That is one of the most fucked up things to ban.
>>
File: Agrassyknollstory.jpg (147KB, 496x474px) Image search: [Google]
Agrassyknollstory.jpg
147KB, 496x474px
>>30951439
>Germany where tritium ones are banned

US and German lawmakers should get together and try to brainstorm some more retarded, useless bans on things that aren't even dangerous.
>>
>>30951488
>1488
Solid get.

>>30951506
Maybe they were declared Haram.

Anyway, the Novak sights have a pretty good reputation too, don't they? I assume this isn't going to make a difference to an inexperienced shooter like me.
>>
>>30951528
>Anyway, the Novak sights have a pretty good reputation too, don't they?

For sure. Even the simple white dotted ones are going to be just fine for anyone at the range.

Heck my 20 year old Colt has the stock fixed steel sights on it and i've never touched them. Pretty much any new gun is going to come with the sights zeroed, or at least close enough.
>>
>>30938763
>stan chen
Holy shit, someone on /k/ that knows Ed Brown, Wilson, les baer and Nighthawk are not the end all be all of "customs"
>>
>>30951424
40sw 2011. I'll eventually get a magwell. I've just put a bunch of $ initially. Need to get some practice with it for limited uspsa
>>
>>30945237
>God tier
Nah, drop half that shit down a tier and add some actual God tier TRUE customs.
After that decide put S&W on the board in high tier and above, then drop auto-ordnance to mid
>>
>>30919873
1911 is widely considered as an "expert weapon" For a comparison, a Glock 19 is not an expert weapon.

"Expert weapon" simply means that 1911 needs care and consideration on a different level than the toyota camry, or Glock.

Up to you anon what you want. I like 1911. My 16 yo daughter simply loves her full size 1911, she has invested in her gun about five times the amount of original price I paid. She knows her 1911 through and through at the level it's almost disturbing. She is an expert already.

Toyota camry, or Glock, can be better for some less inclined into immersion in deep knowledge though.
>>
File: new 2011.png (3MB, 1593x896px) Image search: [Google]
new 2011.png
3MB, 1593x896px
>>30951695

none of those are custom shops anymore. Gans, Akai, Atlas, Yost, Jardine, etc. are custom shops. even Limcat isn't really a custom shop. SVI is more of a cutom shop i guess.

>>30951708

just ordered my belt, holster and pouches. getting a thumb rest?
>>
>>30950644
No, the impact of the 80 series is miniscule UNLESS you shoot super hot cartridges on the reg. However it's a completely unnecessary addition that a lot of people disable. Why add it to a design when a spring does a better job
>>
>>30950915
>Y'all
>SJW
In what reality
>>
File: 1469744711001.jpg (60KB, 761x563px) Image search: [Google]
1469744711001.jpg
60KB, 761x563px
>>30951786
Go check out reddit, learn their ways.

Once you get disgusted having figured out that phrases such as "y'all" are frequently used to introduce questions and faux intellectual babble as a means of paying penance to those who dare downvote them you'll come back and reread that post and smile finally understanding its true meaning.
>>
>>30951961
Who fucking hurt you, man
>>
File: tmp_22909-hpww1-114473975.jpg (154KB, 800x552px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_22909-hpww1-114473975.jpg
154KB, 800x552px
>>30951742
>none of those are custom shops anymore
Exactly. The big four are more like high end production at this point, with brochures and product lines. Idk what volkmann has been up to since the rename and heirloom looks like it's down to just Jason. I'm gonna count Cylinder and slide as well because I want a Trident and because fuck it
>>
>>30951961
>Go check out reddit, learn their ways
>that whole post

Yeah no, everyone else that lives outside of the internet will be happy to use "y'all" without getting triggered in real life. Many of which will continue being ignorant, racist and sexist while doing so. Sorry about your mazes and monsters problem
>>
File: doyoulovemenowmlady.webm (1MB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
doyoulovemenowmlady.webm
1MB, 600x338px
>>30952042
I want to penetrate myself with that gun.

There is no sexier gun than that gun.
>>
>>30919873
Glock 40 10mm longside
>>
>>30952110
Idk man, he did a pair of 1911s similar to that with that deep polished blue and case hardened screws but with unmarked slides and untextured ivory grips.

I still think about those guns randomly, almost a decade later
>>
Oh and some anon was asking about the new Remington 10mm. I thought it looked pretty familiar and as it turns out, Remington is still lazy as shit. However that may be a good thing
>>
>>30951078
You don't?

I've got a notebook for each gun recording rounds fired, malfunctions, favorite loads, where I'm zeroed and with what, etc.
>>
File: 1389758334299.jpg (135KB, 659x609px) Image search: [Google]
1389758334299.jpg
135KB, 659x609px
I'm purchasing my first 1911.

I'm looking at a something around $1500.

I'm debating between a slightly used springfield trp with no rail at $1385, a $1500 new dan wesson pointman-7-45, or a kimber of some sort.

Anyone have any opinions on these or experience?

Does the difference in warranties actually matter? Springfield has a lifetime, dan wesson has a 5 year, and kimber has a 3 year correct?
>>
>>30953857
dont kimber for that much get the dan wesson or if ur willing to go up one step get a les baer premier 2
>>
>>30953865
Better to scrounge up the additional $100 and grab a Thunder Ranch over a Premier II.
>>
>>30953865
>>30954024
This is a problem I'm having with 1911's there's always another 1911 that has just a bit more for just 1-200 more because of the number of 1911's out there.
>>
>>30954768
I think u should just get that special $$$$ so no regrets
>>
File: 1455065675912.jpg (677KB, 3000x1989px) Image search: [Google]
1455065675912.jpg
677KB, 3000x1989px
>>30953857
Don't buy a Kimber. They use low quality parts and break and rust and fall apart. Pic related
>>
>>30954943
The stuff out of their custom shop is still decent.

Source: I have a buddy on a SWAT team and he has one of their custom Kimbers. It exhibits none of the usual Kimber bullshit.

That said, I've never checked how much they ask, but I have a nasty feeling it rests well within the realm of "just get a top tier 1911 instead"
>>
>>30955094
>That said, I've never checked how much they ask, but I have a nasty feeling it rests well within the realm of "just get a top tier 1911 instead"

Yeah. Some of it costs as much as an Ed Brown.
>>
Buy a colt. Why bother anything else. Just get a glock if you want a tactical dick-waving toy.
>>
>>30955116

2nd part- unless you've more money than sense. A colt is a classic that is well-made and well sought after everywhere but this board, since it's full of retarded children and mall-ninja faggots.
>>
>>30955109
Ah, well then, given that I wouldn't trade my old Baer for his Kimber let alone my new Ed Brown, I think we can say just fuck Kimber. Not like NY needed the corporate tax money.
>>
>>30919873
>>30951739
>1911 is widely considered as an "expert weapon" For a comparison, a Glock 19 is not an expert weapon.
The Glock may be simpler and easier to maintain, but should still be considered an expert's weapon due solely to its less than forgiving nature when handled negligently compared to most other designs - probably even more so than a true single action like the 1911 that has all kinds of mechanical safety features. Isn't it funny how no one bitches about the grip safety AND thumb safety on the 1911 - including its many "high speed" users - yet safeties are treated as a design defect on every single other pistol?
>>
>>30953857
TRP all the way
Then learn all you can about handling, disassembling and maintaining 1911s.don't learn it on /k/ though
Again, the TRP
>>
>>30955116
>>30955124
And there a is always at least one faggot saying "just get a colt". Despite Colt being a perpetually retarded company that does nothing to stay competitive, including being over priced, using plastic parts in $1000 guns, having a contract pistol that keeps breaking and two fairly nice rifles nobody ever buys. Still with all of this you will say "just buy a colt" which is so sought after that 20 other companies have managed to make entire career a out of building guns that people would rather have over a colt. Same with their SAAs and ARs
>>
>>30956460
The Delta Elite is the only Colt 1911 I'd recommend at this point, half for the looks and half because it's one of the cheaper non-RIA 10mm 1911s.
>>
>>30955909
why would a safety be considered a design defect

is safety a bad thing now
>>
>>30956534
It's all floperator BS.
>>
>>30955909
Agreed, a better design for an idiotproof pistol would be a DAO with a safety, loaded chamber indicator, magazine disconnect, and probably several other features that nobody really wants in a pistol. Also you wouldn't have to pull the trigger to take it apart.

I sense it wouldn't be a commercially successful pistol.
>>
IfI purchase the trp used through a private sale does Springfield's lifetime warranty still apply?
>>
>>30960050
Email them and find out.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2678x1695px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2678x1695px
>>30960050
I bet it would. I sent my LWCO back to them when I was having issues. They didn't even ask if I was the original owner. Just the serial and what was wrong. You could probably register it on their website anyways after buying it.
>>
File: Clipboard3.png (172KB, 499x565px) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard3.png
172KB, 499x565px
>>30956534
>>30956540
>>30958164
>>
>>30958164
>DAO with a safety, loaded chamber indicator, magazine disconnect, and probably several other features that nobody really wants in a pistol.
Except I didn't really say any of that, did I dumb fuck. But yes, a DAO with or even without a thumb safety would be objectively safer than your shitty Austrian brick. You probably wouldn't need to pull the trigger to disassemble it either.
>>
>>30953857
>I'm looking at a something around $1500.
If you're going to spend that much, no reason to buy anything other than Dan Wesson.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?19963-CZ1911A1

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?20338-Dan-Wesson-Custom-Shop-CCO

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?21387-Dan-Wesson-Valor
>>
>>30956534

It is in a pistol for self defense. Safeties (on pistols at least) are for retards that don't trust themselves not to keep their buggerhook out of the trigger guard when they aren't shooting. Decockers are useful though on DA/SA guns.
>>
>>30956524
Same here. The XSE Delta is finally worth it's price and the old ones we're really only acceptable because they look fantastic IMO. I would make an exception for the .38supers if they still made any in decent trim besides the special combat
>>
>>30962423
If you can't train yourself to use a thumb safety on a defensive handgun like people did for years before the Glock became the most common pistol in the world, then there's no reason to believe you'd be infallibly safe at all times with your striker plastic fantastic you mall ninja retard.
>>
>>30919873
shit gun
>>
>>30951351
Well I got it to this point. Some of the dimensions had some slop in them to the point that I couldn't remove the gap, but I'm overall quite happy with it. Just have to finish lapping it.
>>
File: IMG_1784.jpg (53KB, 846x479px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1784.jpg
53KB, 846x479px
>>30964988
Derp. No picture.
>>
>>30919873
ugly
>>
File: 1471060224524.jpg (319KB, 1280x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1471060224524.jpg
319KB, 1280x1080px
>>30919873
Basically you get a colt or you're a big fag. Understand?
>>
Why does colt still make 1911s, but discontinued the double eagle? It is objectively much better.
>>
>>30919873
based
>>
>>30920514
sgammo.com Family owned and no dicking around pretending to be multiple companies when you are actually just one.
Thread posts: 232
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.