[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Meanwhile, in Napoleonic Era /k/...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 165
Thread images: 52

File: sharpe and the boys.jpg (129KB, 1280x831px) Image search: [Google]
sharpe and the boys.jpg
129KB, 1280x831px
Meanwhile, in Napoleonic Era /k/...
>>
>>30918583
Hark, what does /k/ make the drummer boy play when out marching? Always a touch found of I'm Ninety-Five meself.
>>
File: redcoats.jpg (59KB, 800x397px) Image search: [Google]
redcoats.jpg
59KB, 800x397px
>>30918611
You have to ask?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGrxHO-B2TY
>>
>>30918640

Okay is that a real painting or is it from Age of Empires III
>>
>>30918950
According to Google image search its an actual painting of the The Battle of Bunker Hill.
>>
>>30918611
This
https://youtu.be/wEQcXRnzxVI
>>
This fad of relying on massed artillery will be the death of Napoleon's ambition, mark my words. Once he encounters an unfavorable terrain, such as the hills and mounts of Piedmont, he will be undone.
>>
File: 1431904781981.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1431904781981.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>30920055
>This fad of relying on infantry columns will be the death of Napoleon's ambition, mark my words.

Greetings my fine fellow! Forgive my temerity, but I took the liberty of correcting yon obvious spelling error in your otherwise cogent assertion. I pray to our Lord that you may profit by it in days yet to come.
>>
I know this is before the Napoleonic era but I fucking love this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBFpw-459VU
>>
File: 1469493262307.jpg (26KB, 400x462px) Image search: [Google]
1469493262307.jpg
26KB, 400x462px
>>30918950
>>30919172
>>30921108
>>
File: 1405291581154.jpg (16KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1405291581154.jpg
16KB, 300x300px
>>30921162
To fair I'm really high right now and its hard to think of what the 18th century equivalent of Google image search was.
>>
>>30918583
These Austria-Hungarians or Prussians?
>>
File: lawnlol.jpg (44KB, 402x400px) Image search: [Google]
lawnlol.jpg
44KB, 402x400px
>>30922067
You're standing on thin ice laddie.
>>
>>30918640
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHyEZfrsGXo
>>
Napoleon did nothing wrong.

Waterloo was a hoax by the jews to establish control.
>>
File: 1399282670076.jpg (23KB, 176x198px) Image search: [Google]
1399282670076.jpg
23KB, 176x198px
>>30922538
>attempting to overthrow all the rightfully crown kings of Europe
>nothing wrong

Fucking Imperialfags.
>>
>want to read Sharpe books
>20 something pieces
>fuuuck, I guess I will watch the series
>more episodes than a soap opera
>FUUUCK

Oh well, Boardwalk Empire was also 1 hour a piece.
>>
>>30922657
Coaliationfags are the worst
>>
File: revolution.png (1MB, 975x712px) Image search: [Google]
revolution.png
1MB, 975x712px
>>30922753
Sorry what was that? I couldn't hear you over the sound of continental Europe being burnt to the ground.
>>
>>30918950
I thought the exact same thing. Something about it just says AoE3
>>
>>30921108
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBFpw-459VU
this seems like a really ineffective way to fight wars

is this historically accurate? just walking straight into gunfire and pray for the best?
>>
SOUNDS OF THE HOUNDS, COME HERE AND GET FLESH
>>
>>30923002
You have to remember that they're all using smoothbore muskets. As I recall it, if you were to aim and shoot at a man sized target standing 50 paces away from you with a musket. The chance of the bullet actually hitting said target was less than 50%.

So yes, the most effective way for two forces armed with muskets to fight each other is to get close, and for the whole line to fire volleys. No one would be able to hit anything otherwise.

Its not until rifled barrels are invented that it becomes a good idea to stay back and shoot from a distance.
>>
>>30923122
Then why the same tactic continued into civil war era battles when everyone already have rifles?
>>
>>30923122

Might as well stick with bows and hide behind a mound of earth
>>
>>30923122
>As I recall it, if you were to aim and shoot at a man sized target standing 50 paces away from you with a musket. The chance of the bullet actually hitting said target was less than 50%.
That really depends on the level of training and general conditions. A smoothbore could quite easily hit a torso at 50 yards 9 times out of ten with a bit of training, and even in untrained hands, 50 paces would be child's play.

>>30923197
Because you stop using tactics when they stop working, the developments up to and leading into civil war era resulted in a previously unprecedented amount of carnage for the given tactics. Keep in mind, adjusting tactics to modern developments takes more time than just "Oh something new? Well here's the exact changes we need to make.", and tactics did change following the introduction of rifles, we saw the increased use of snipers and marksmen for instance.

tl;dr shit takes time to adjust fully, and most people don't want to do that unless it's needed.
>>
Ney says Cav charges can melt British squares.
>>
File: Civil War - CSA Attack.jpg (458KB, 2000x1360px) Image search: [Google]
Civil War - CSA Attack.jpg
458KB, 2000x1360px
>>30923197
It's a complicated issue and a lot of factors go into it, but probably the single most important thing to understand about line combat going into the Civil War were the officers on each side.

These men were educated in military academies like West Point and VMI, and were taught primarily Jominian (Napoleonic) tactics.

Most of them also fought and gained much of their field experience in the Mexican war, which was fought mostly with smooth-bore muskets and offensive tactics.

By the time of the Civil War, officers on both sides were pre-conditioned to rely on such tactics. They had never had any real experience with the advances in musketry, artillery, and the huge numbers of men, that they had at their command.

It would take until 1863 (Specifically, Gettysburg) before both sides would start relying more on trenches and defensive warfare. For the South, this was motivated more by lack of man-power than anything else, but Northern officers quickly realized how effective these new tactics were as well.

It's also important to keep in mind that the military tech of the day still suffered from many of the same issues that smoothbore muskets and artillery suffer from. They are slow to reload, noisy, emit HUGE amounts of smoke, and are still fairly inaccurate at range. Add this to trying to command 50k+ man armies without radio or phones (you might have telegraph wires if you are extremely lucky), and Jominian tactics still make some sense even with the advent of mass rifling.

Honestly, as a student of Civil War strategy, it's actually kind of amazing how fast certain military developments like the use of trains and Parrot rifles, telegraph wires, iron-clad warships, and other developments, actually caught on with commanders on both sides.

Ultimately, keep in mind that hindsight is always 20/20 and army commanders in 1861 didn't have the viewpoint we have today.
>>
>>30920055
>not knowing that artillery was still very important in the Italian Wars
The War will go better this time, especially with no pesky Swiss with a deathwish in the way.
>>
File: Butler_Lady_Quatre_Bras_1815.jpg (180KB, 1000x442px) Image search: [Google]
Butler_Lady_Quatre_Bras_1815.jpg
180KB, 1000x442px
>>30923348
This is true. However while it only takes a few months to train a soldier to effectively use a musket. In order to be just as effective with a bow you need to start training an archer when he's five years old. Which can not be done effectively on the mass scale you need to do things in order to assemble an Early Modern Era army.
>>
>>30926626
This man speaks the truth.
>>
Pray tell, lads, why are those ruffians using rifles as opposed to the tried and true Brown Bess? The Baker is just a passing fad, and the sooner it passes the better.
>>
>>30922691

The Sharpe books don't have to be read in order; there's a few things you might not pick up if you don't read in order but none of it is particularly essential.

Just don't read Waterloo or Devil first.

TV series is a little more reliant on order, but if you get the first bunch in order, the remainder can be watched in any order with the exception of Waterloo being last.
>>
File: 9780007229604.jpg (361KB, 757x648px) Image search: [Google]
9780007229604.jpg
361KB, 757x648px
>>30922691
>>30926904
Personally I started with the audiobook versions of the books. They're the kind of story where you can put it on your computer or your ipod and play it in the background while you're playing games or exercising or whatever and its still easy to follow along with the story.

Its also relaxing too. Like a lot of times when I've been so sick that I couldn't even leave my bed to play computer games. So I just set the Sharpe series to play one after another on my ipod, set it in a dock/speaker box and just lay there listening to Sharpe kill froggies and woo Spanish ladies. It was most relaxing. Best way to spend a sick day/10 In particular I recommend the versions read/narrated by Patrick Tull. Hell I'd recommend anything narrated by Patrick Tull come to think of it.
>>
File: Da Komrade.png (534KB, 1280x730px) Image search: [Google]
Da Komrade.png
534KB, 1280x730px
Uuuurrrraaaaa!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLovWXcjiZI
>>
>>30923348
Bows were no more accurate. They were used in volleys too for a reason you know. Also you can't melee with a bow and plate armor will stop your arrow.
>>
>>30918583
>Sharpe TV version
That shit was pukeworthy. They absolutely butchered the shit of what was a fairly decent novel series.
>>
>>30922657
>He wants to be ruled by someone too weak to fend off invaders

Truly, he is sure to allow his wife to lay about as she pleases.
>>
I sure do hate niggers
>>
>>30926904
Sharpe's Tiger and Sharpe's Eagle are two nice starting points.
>>
>>30922538
>Waterloo was a hoax by the jews to establish control.

Rothchild money is only reason the British were able to keep fighting/blockading the French for so long.
>>
>>30918583
Is that show any good?
>>
>Frog
>26
>Tall enough to be in the best regiments
Remind me to buy some fur coats from a nearby peasant.
>>
>>30927840
Not unless you're a bored housewife who gets wet watching young Sean Bean.
Just read the books.
>>
>>30927840
>Not having a large, angry Irish 2IC carrying a Six-chambered nock-gun

It's pretty badass, the banter and the camraderie is the best.
>>
File: silly frenchmen.jpg (80KB, 350x490px) Image search: [Google]
silly frenchmen.jpg
80KB, 350x490px
>>30927412
>>30927861

>wanting to be ruled by an Italian peasant

>wanting to be ruled by an Italian peasant who doesn't even provide his men with winter clothing when invading Russia

>Russia

>the coldest nation in Christendom

>thinks his men wont need coats

>mfw Impericucks actually want to be led by such a fool
>>
>>30928020
He was from small nobility (otherwise his father wouldn't have been able to secure the best education available at the time) and was born a subject to the king of France (though an ethnic Italian).

Plus all of our neighbors were ruled by Bourbons or German minor houses that got into power God knows how.

What killed Napoléon's army was ultimately Russian autumn, not winter, and its unfathomable mud.
>>
>>30927346
It wasn't all that bad. Sure things weren't as great as the books but what the hell do you expect from a TV series of that era?
>>
File: q9nbpf5v5qs5vg7byyyc.gif (3MB, 634x363px) Image search: [Google]
q9nbpf5v5qs5vg7byyyc.gif
3MB, 634x363px
>in order, most likely to die from:
>mosquitoes
>bad weather
>lead poisoning from rations
>starvation
>ball rounds
>the pox
>executed for desertion
>grape shot
>lack of patriotism
>>
>>30928422
Dude no. The era bears no relevance to the decision of dramatically altering the plot, randomly changing characters and other shit.
Why is Nairn an engineer? Why does he take Hogan's place in a few episodes? Why does Teresa appear since the beginning? Why do they kill off poor dear Lucille?
And a lot of other shit like Sharpe being from Yorkshire, being commissioned in Portugal, and inconsistencies like Price dying instead of Knowles just to reappear a couple years later at Waterloo. I mean Jesus fuck, just follow the books.
>>
>>30923397
IIRC the average British soldier would have less than 50 practice rounds a year due to the price of lead and gunpowder as well as the size of the army. That's a pretty major factor in how muskets were utilised.
>>
>>30928619
Your mainly right on this. I haven't seen an episode of the series in over 10 years but have read about 85- 90 percent of the novels. Yes it would be annoying as fuck to have things fucked up for the sake of a script. I'll try to torrent them somewhere and have another look.
>>
>>30927346
>>30928619

They filmed bunches of them concurrently so they wanted to recycle some of the actors.

Hogan got canned early on because Brian Cox said fuck that to filming in Ukraine and bailed so Nairn is his pseudo replacement.

I never liked Teresa so I can't comment on that one.

It really suffered from low production values but it was pretty good given the circumstances. Author enjoyed it enough to have the TV show have some impact on the series.

>tfw you will never have a big budget Sharpe movie/tv series
>>
File: frenchies in a war.jpg (729KB, 1701x2005px) Image search: [Google]
frenchies in a war.jpg
729KB, 1701x2005px
M A D M E N
>>
>>30928662
>Not liking Teresa

It's like you enjoy Sharpe suffering.
>>
>>30928020
It wasn't the winter that defeated Napoleon. It was the infestation of lice that fucked the French army over when they marched through Poland.
>>
>>30928681
Lucille was the only good girl.
>>
>>30924965
Nice summation. This is why I still come here after all these years.
>>
>>30928696
I like Lucille, but I think that she was less interesting than Teresa.
>>
ALLEZ
LES BLEUS

VIVE LA FRANCE!
>>
>>30918583
Why in the hell are the Napoleonic Wars not considered the first world war?

Real talk.
>>
>>30928681

In the TV show she basically took half of Blas Vivar's shtick which pretty much killed his character.

Then again that whole show was just a terrible display of not having the required budget to put on a war tv show.

>>30928696

Poor Fredrickson
>>
>>30928756
I've only seen a few of the TV episodes, so I didn't know that. But a Sharpe series with a good budget and Cornwell himself involved would be pretty great. And don't remind me of Fredrickson. Shit broke my heart.
>>
>>30928756
>Poor Fredrickson
He left Sharpe with her getting nursed back to health for months. What the fuck else did he expect would happen? He should have been surprised not to have found Patrick-Henri already in the cradle.
>>
>>30928773

Blas Vivar in the TV show is just a really depressing shadow of his book character.

>>30928777

Fredrickson told Sharpe his intentions before he left and Sharpe screwed her anyway. Pretty bad on Sharpe's part given that Fredrickson bailed him out what, like five times prior to this?
>>
>>30928853
Fuck. That's just shitty. Sharpe's Rifles was the first one I read and I thought Vivar was a badass to rival Sharpe himself.
>>
File: wrong.jpg (26KB, 460x368px) Image search: [Google]
wrong.jpg
26KB, 460x368px
>>30928641
>>
>>30928641
That's a damn sight better than the 3 training rounds French conscripts receive in Boney's army.
>>
>>30918611

>marching out to greet the frogs
>It Is Not I starts playing
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOeYPpOblAw
>>
>>30928748
even the First world war was called "the great war" back then. it was named into the first world war after the 2nd world war.

napolenoic war was probably far too much of a distant memory to get rename. Everyone that fought the napolenoic war had already died.
>>
>>30928597
kek
>>
>>30922691
They aren't great literature or anything. Sharpe will always:

>find lots of treasure/ loose his previously found treasure.
>bang the main female character (who will die in the next book)
>get shit on by an aristocrat then get revenge
>kick a frog in the nuts.

They are alot of fun have tons of really neat 18th century tactical info and are pretty simple to read.

Don't stress out about the order. They get too repetitive if you try plow through them.
>>
>>30929507
19th century. My bad.
>>
>>30929507
I personally love them because its one of the few pieces of media out there these days that doesn't try to hammer you over the head with "messages", and "important metaphors". Its something you can relax with and enjoy a ripping good war story.
>>
File: 1442608190463.gif (2MB, 377x311px) Image search: [Google]
1442608190463.gif
2MB, 377x311px
>you'll never run down Englishmen and decapitate them with your saber
Why live ?
>>
>>30930357
This an Englishman's thread, crapaud. Be gone with you or the provosts shall see you hang.
>>
>>30928748

Also heard that applied to the Seven Years War.
>>
That Rostov son of a bitch is hiding women, i know it. Rich boy always talking about his fiance, but trying to fool me saying his rich mommy and daddy didn't fucked more to bring a qt girl to this world? Bolkonsky was right, he is a dick.
>>
File: Minard.png (671KB, 2003x955px) Image search: [Google]
Minard.png
671KB, 2003x955px
>>30928020
The Russian summer was just as deadly as the winter.

>A Lieutenant Mertens—a Württemberger serving with Ney's III corps—reported in his diary that oppressive heat followed by rain left them with dead horses and camping in swamp-like conditions with dysentery and influenza raging though the ranks with hundreds in a field hospital that had to be set up for the purpose. He reported the times, dates and places, of events reporting thunderstorms on the 6th of June and men dying of sunstroke by the 11th.
>>
>>30928748
>>30930474
The 30 Years War had some conflicts beyond Europe. The Dutch attacked the Portuguese colonies in Brazil, Africa, India, Malaysia, the Spice Islands and China.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty_Years%27_War#Outside_Europe
>>
>>30926736
I believe that the future of these new rifles is promising. Expensive they may be to produce, they are gifted with a marked increase in accuracy. A man armed with one such rifle may strike a man from 100 or more paces with precision.

Surely you are not one to stubbornly cling to antiquity?
>>
Teresa: Harper, I have half a bottle of the best Irish whisky from the Irish priests at Salamanca.
Richard Sharpe: You speak a word and you're dead, Harper.
Patrick Harper: I'll be dead, but, sir, I'll be drunk.
>>
Cooper: Can I ask you a question, sir? Where'd you learn to fight so dirty, sir?
Richard Sharpe: Same place as you, Cooper. Saturday night in the gutters.
Cooper: Long way from home, sir.
Richard Sharpe: Never was much of a home, Cooper.
Cooper: No, sir. That it weren't.
Richard Sharpe: Did you volunteer for this lot, Cooper?
Cooper: Uh no, not exactly sir. I was invited to join... by a magistrate.
>>
BORODINO NEVER HAPPENED

NAPOLEON WILL BE OUT OF ROSIJA COME WINTER

SMOLENSK WAS NOT TORCHED, MERELY AN OUT OF CONTROL FIRE STARTED BY LAMP
>>
>>30927244
>1700s
>Still having serfs
The only thing your czarist bastards have going for you is the cossacks and the cold.
>>
>>30924965
One last thing you might want to add is back then they didn't nearly have as easy a time as we do to access new info, due to the lack of phones/internet/etc.

It would take time for things to catch on purely due to how long info and confirmation of its reliability took too
>>
>>30926626
Can confirm.

I qualified for the olympics as an archer, and I can tell you it takes a long time to get reliably accurate with a powerful bow (a bow powerful enough to use in a battle is fucking hard to pull back, you need to build serious muscle). The amount of grown men I saw come and go, just give up after a few months due to being surprisingly too weak and getting nowhere with form was staggering. There's a reason guns became popular as early as they did
>>
>>30928677
>>30928748
From what I understand, it's has something to do with the number of fronts a war is fought on.

Napoleonic wars included everyone, but there wasn't multiple fronts at once.

That's said, I still think of it as the first WW
>>
File: 1463378804618.jpg (5KB, 137x174px) Image search: [Google]
1463378804618.jpg
5KB, 137x174px
>>30926626

Favorite reaction image in that painting.
Ripped it from the menu of Scourge of War:Waterloo
>>
>>30927953

>Six

The Nock Volley Gun has seven barrels, fampai.
>>
>>30921363
>>gets called a pleb
>>defends himself by saying he is on drugs
>>
>>30933296
There wasn't multiple fronts
- Spain/Portugal
- Syria/Egypt
- Germany/Russia
- Italy/Balkans

You have no idea what you are talking about, do you?
>>
>>30933597
>>30933597
>you have no idea what you are talking about
No I don't, and I made that clear in my post by how vague I was.

The point was, there's some sort of criteria that the napoleonic wars does meet.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure it's because it didn't include any powers outside European ones (ie China or Japan). There were battles outside Europe, but they were still between euro powers, hence not a "world" war

...but again this is just a guess, trying to remember whatever it was I read
>>
>>30929192
>It Is Not I starts playing
>not "It Bloody Well isn't Me" by "Privileged Scion"
plebian
>>
File: Napoleonic Empire.png (498KB, 2000x2027px) Image search: [Google]
Napoleonic Empire.png
498KB, 2000x2027px
How can other leaders even compete?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAHHkF7VbCY
>>
>>30933897
Napolean fought Syrian and Egyptian forces.
There were wars in India
There was conflict between in Russia and britain in Afghanistan including Britain's biggest and defeat against indiginious forces
Nappies Russian campaign can hardly be considered European
Etc,etc,etc,etc,etc
>>
>>30923197
Because the civil war was one of the first modern wars and line tactics turned out to be dogshit hence why they stopped using it
>>
File: Step up senpai.png (746KB, 1920x976px) Image search: [Google]
Step up senpai.png
746KB, 1920x976px
>>30934036
>>
>>30934162
>S.Rhodesia
:^(
>>
>waterloo
>loo
ahahaha
>>
File: You're one cool dude sempai!.gif (496KB, 300x172px) Image search: [Google]
You're one cool dude sempai!.gif
496KB, 300x172px
>>30933564
Lol, its one of my favourites too. I already used in in this post here: >>30928020 Though yours looks like its at higher resolution.

Also I wish to compliment you on your excellent and highly refined taste in memes sir. (or whatever the technical term is for these pictures we're always using)
>>
File: Battle_of_Waterloo_1815.png (3MB, 1854x846px) Image search: [Google]
Battle_of_Waterloo_1815.png
3MB, 1854x846px
>>30928748
>>30929353
>>30933296
Academic historian here. Before World War 1 happened the Napoleonic Wars were referred to as The Great War in Europe. Every so often I'll be reading a book that was written before 1914 and the author will mention "The Great War". Which caused me quite a bit of confusion the first few times I saw it.

I'd start reading a history of regency era Britain written in 1893 by Lord something or other for example. Then the author mentions a certain event that happened during "The Great War", or to some person who fought during "The Great War", and I'd have to look at the cover or read the book's introduction again just to make sure I hadn't gotten the wrong book off the shelf by mistake.
>>
>>30934629
>Which caused me quite a bit of confusion the first few times I saw it.
That's common knowledge, even if your specialty isn't anything near Modern his.
>>
>>30928641
The Brits actually used the most practice rounds out of any of the European armies, most nations didn't go over 20 or 30 for their best regiments.
>>
How did soldiers of the period measure the powder charge in the field?
>>
>>30934898
Soldiers would usually have pre-measured paper cartridges, with powder and shot, on them. Typically they would carry about 60 shots on them.
>>
Hey /k/, I need some advice.

I keep taking the stage coach from London to Plymouth, ferrying legal papers t'wixt the lawyers who mill around Westminster like a pack of wild dogs to the trading companies out in Devon and such. On the way, there is a pox of highwaymen and such blackguards and footpads to make a mockery of the King's law. Previously, i have merely armed myself as usual, but last time, I was almost cut down by such a misbegotten rogue it besmirches the Church to say he was ever a Christian.

My colleagues all seem to be of the mind that a pair of manstoppers is the way forward, but I have it in my head that perhaps something larger would be best to put the fear of God's mercy in the heathen hearted bastards.

What is your advice, /k/? The gun shop is just down the way from here so upon the arrival of your return letter, I will be down immediately.
>>
File: volley-gun.jpg (201KB, 1000x552px) Image search: [Google]
volley-gun.jpg
201KB, 1000x552px
>>30934976

I advise you to pay a visit to the shop of one Mr. Nock, of London.
>>
>>30935037
And here I was merely considering a run of the mill blunderbuss.

I shall pop into his shop when I am next in the capital.
>>
>>30935037
No one needs such a devastatingly powerful weapon to defend against brigands. A truncheon is all you should need to defend yourself. Do you plan on fighting the army itself?
>>
File: Sergeantpaddy.jpg (12KB, 230x219px) Image search: [Google]
Sergeantpaddy.jpg
12KB, 230x219px
>>30936056
Do you not?
>>
File: 1455984026752.jpg (56KB, 490x746px) Image search: [Google]
1455984026752.jpg
56KB, 490x746px
>>30936056
Bah humbug, it has always been an Englishmen's (God Save the King) traditional right to carry arms in defense of his life and property.

Are you some kind of confounded Scottish whiggamore?
>>
File: 1468973878964.jpg (63KB, 323x320px) Image search: [Google]
1468973878964.jpg
63KB, 323x320px
>>30936056
>mfw there was a British explorer who had a custom elephant gun so large it would require three of the local negros to hold him by the shoulders to prevent ridicule and injury.
>>
File: 1464959080260.jpg (57KB, 549x389px) Image search: [Google]
1464959080260.jpg
57KB, 549x389px
>>30922931
how many coalitions did that take again? :^)
>>
>>30918583
The American buck-and-ball cartridge is superior to any other military musket load, and any man who disagrees is a poltroon.
>>
>>30937030
Poltron is equivalent to coward.

"Idiot or cretin" is more accurate.
>>
>>30928597
You forgot small scrapes getting infected and killing you a few days later when it spread to your bloodstream
>>
File: redcoats-620x465.jpg (325KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
redcoats-620x465.jpg
325KB, 620x465px
>>30937030
>>30937600
And don't forget, you're an untrustworthy Yankee rebel who betrayed his lawful monarch in the Colonial Rebellion of 1776. So you should be pronouncing it Kree-tin, not Kreh-ten.

Now stay away from our Parliament Buildings!
>>
>>30924965
But didn't the CSA attack more often, despite not having the same manpower? For them it woulr be more rational to have a defensive war?
>>
>>30936056
>Be OCing my Nock gun in London
>Just got me day's ration of rum
>Life's bretty gud
>Foul smelling wench and her gutter spawn approach me
>"What do you have that cannon for? Do you plan on killin' me kids?"
I am a soldier in his Majesty's Army. I kill the French
>She doesn't accept. She calls for a constable.
>Wots all this then? he says, swaggering over
>'E wants to kill me chilluns!
>Constable looks me over
>'E's a proper rifleman, so 'e his! 'E only kills the French!
>Constable lets me go, turns out he fought in the American war.
>Turns out woman is a thief, arrested and hanged, her kids sent to foundling homes
>>
>>30938824
Not when your enemy has access to more resources and important infrastructure. All the factories and railroads were in the norths control.
>>
File: balaclava.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
balaclava.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Whose fault was it, /k/?
>>
>>30938824
In the Eastern theater that was true, but more because RE Lee was an absolute madman and Jackson was almost literally insane.

The Federal troops were so green that the Southern forces could successfully launch surprise (although costly) assaults that would rout the troops. Fighting in the East took on a very defensive-offensive nature before 1863. The ANV would win two decisive defensive battle and then fight an offensive battle on Northern soil, which the North would win. Rinse and repeat.

After Gettysburg the South pretty much entirely switched to trenches and fortifications though.

In the Western theater the South tried unsuccessfully to launch offensives but was so badly outnumbered that it was basically pointless. The only time Southern armies in the West were able to actually beat back a major Union action was at Chickamauga, and that was borrowing an entire 3rd of the ANV. Almost every other action in the west baring a few small skirmishes and some lesser known campaigns was basically Union forces seiging tiny Confederate garrisons.

>>30938996
That's partially true, but keep in mind that the South still had more rail and factory production than most of Europe even with their agrarian economy. They also had a territory the size of European Russia and almost as inhospitable.
>>
>>30939008

The Jews.
>>
>>30919768
why do the drums sound off? and why does the melody remind me of some egyptian snake dance shit?
>>
>>30922252
So prussians?
>>
>>30939446

God I love reading about the ACW. Anything where Americans kill Americans is something that makes the world a better place.
>>
File: 1462162061409.jpg (200KB, 1200x932px) Image search: [Google]
1462162061409.jpg
200KB, 1200x932px
>>30939899
>Being this bootyblasted
What a waste of dubs
>>
Just admit it, you dont need assault cartridges
>>
>>30940122

Nobody needs assault >anything<. Playing wargames is one thing, but anybody feels the need for a weapon of any sort in their home is mentally ill at best and an imminent threat to society at worst (and should be locked away at a minimum, but since you can't fix stupid, killed is the best option).
>>
>>30928748
cause the Seven Years War was the first first world war...
>>
File: Shiloh.jpg (315KB, 1152x752px) Image search: [Google]
Shiloh.jpg
315KB, 1152x752px
>>30939446
>Almost every other action in the west baring a few small skirmishes and some lesser known campaigns was basically Union forces seiging tiny Confederate garrisons.

lol....what?
>>
File: mon ami.jpg (22KB, 350x277px) Image search: [Google]
mon ami.jpg
22KB, 350x277px
>>30918583
post your battle buddies /k/!
>>
File: 1456364748413.jpg (1MB, 1598x998px) Image search: [Google]
1456364748413.jpg
1MB, 1598x998px
>>30942233
>almost every other

Also, Shiloh, Stones River, and the Chattanooga campaign, were all heavy Confederate losses.

Chickamauga was a phyrric victory at best.

Almost doesn't cut it.

On top of that, the only real campaigns in which the Confederates were able to actually participate beyond a token force were the Red River Campaign and Brice's Cross Roads, which, while Confederate "victories," were hollow and achieved little.

And all of this would make up like one years worth of battles in the East.
>>
Massed artillery is the greatest military tactic

>Prove me wrong
>>
File: 1456359950181.jpg (527KB, 2000x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1456359950181.jpg
527KB, 2000x1050px
>>30942313
Pickett's
Charge
>>
File: 1470886104200.jpg (448KB, 1598x998px) Image search: [Google]
1470886104200.jpg
448KB, 1598x998px
>>30942294
>>
>napoleon tries to tank the British economy
>only fucks himself over

GG Napoleon.
>>
File: 1399998411295.jpg (67KB, 494x622px) Image search: [Google]
1399998411295.jpg
67KB, 494x622px
>>30939947
I always really liked this picture.
>>
File: 1359981003780.jpg (463KB, 1538x1909px) Image search: [Google]
1359981003780.jpg
463KB, 1538x1909px
"My mother was a whore. I was born in a brothel.
Grew up in an orphanage and hope to die in the army."
>>
>>30918583

WHY THE FUCK ARE THESE RUSSIAN PEASANTS BURNING THEIR OWN CROPS AND RUNNING AWAY?

Don't they know we're here to liberate them? I fucking hate Russia. Their Army doesn't even fight us, except like that one time in Borodino. It just retreats and retreats.

Thankfully, we're almost to Moscow. I'm sure they'll surrender once we capture Moscow, and I can finally go home to Strasbourg.
>>
“Sharpe had no thought of deserting now, for now he was about to fight. If there was any one good reason to join the army, it was to fight. Not to hurry up and do nothing, but to fight the King’s enemies, and this enemy had been shocked by the awful violence of the close-range volley and now they stared in horror as the redcoats screamed and ran towards them. The 33rd, released from the tight discipline of the ranks, charged eagerly. There was loot ahead. Loot and food and stunned men to slaughter and there were few men in the 33rd who did not like a good fight. Not many had joined the ranks out of patriotism; instead, like Sharpe, they had taken the King’s shilling because hunger or desperation had forced them into uniform, but they were still good soldiers. They came from the gutters of Britain where a man survived by savagery rather than by cleverness. They were brawlers and bastards, alley-fighters with nothing to lose but tuppence a day.”
>>
File: 5264e3d9e04b0.jpg (868KB, 1200x720px) Image search: [Google]
5264e3d9e04b0.jpg
868KB, 1200x720px
This thread is too polite for /k/ true operators rock the 1809 Potsdam musket, automatic priming of my lock thanks to superior German engineering!
>>
>>
File: poltroons1.png (52KB, 134x188px) Image search: [Google]
poltroons1.png
52KB, 134x188px
>>30937030
>>
File: Liz Hurley Sharpe.jpg (52KB, 496x500px) Image search: [Google]
Liz Hurley Sharpe.jpg
52KB, 496x500px
>>30922691
A young Liz Hurley is in the show and she shows her boobs. That alone is worth it.
>>
>>30944792
Why is he wearing realtree?
>>
File: Charge of the Scots Greys.jpg (2MB, 1804x910px) Image search: [Google]
Charge of the Scots Greys.jpg
2MB, 1804x910px
>>30942251
"Oh I wanna be in the cavalry if they send me off to war..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey1OwxPtwqk
>>
>>30944871
Ahhhhhh I remember my first time listening to those words. It was 2008 and I was so eager for some horse & musket era combat that I went online to try and find SOMETHING set in the same time that would scratch that particular itch. The first thing I found was an audiobook recording of Sharpe's Tiger and from that point on I was hooked.
>>
>>30918640

There can be only one answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcUR6y6Kmkk
>>
File: Frederick-the-Great_by_Dudde[1].jpg (87KB, 425x550px) Image search: [Google]
Frederick-the-Great_by_Dudde[1].jpg
87KB, 425x550px
You're in the club and this man slaps your ass. Wat do?
>>
>>30938785
i'm french idiot

cretin and idiot are latin words.
>>
File: french_colonialism_1.jpg (50KB, 283x297px) Image search: [Google]
french_colonialism_1.jpg
50KB, 283x297px
who /black fever/ here
>>
>>30945066
Sharpe is just that much of a next gen oper8r
>>
File: 1470091695028.jpg (61KB, 640x580px) Image search: [Google]
1470091695028.jpg
61KB, 640x580px
>>30947612
95th Rifles were one of the first operator regiments with firearms.

>Given special training
>Special uniforms
>Special weapons
>Best quality powder
>Unique chain of command
>special assignments
>>
>>30947968
Oh, I know. If I had to be in the British Army as an enlisted man it would have been in the Rifles. Best leadership, training, etc.
>>
File: 1441433968402.jpg (32KB, 428x467px) Image search: [Google]
1441433968402.jpg
32KB, 428x467px
>>30918583
>current year 1812
>taking the kings shilling
ISHYGDDT
>>
Ye I may have been born a male but I do believe I am not so from within. I've been wearing clothing did own by mine own dear younger sister and I donned a wig madeth out of sheep hair for many years. I must thank the lord for granting me such fair womanly skin. Alas, I have been harass'd by rough folk for being as I truly am. I know it to be true, there are many feeling the same as I do and enjoyeth getting the objects into the anus. I wouldst like to gather these individuals and rally us together for a proud march.
>>
File: Dennewitz.jpg (707KB, 1600x1015px) Image search: [Google]
Dennewitz.jpg
707KB, 1600x1015px
I do love the landwehr's uniform's
>>
>>30948839

You'll be perfect for the Royal Navy, son.
>>
File: 1420937152166.jpg (147KB, 400x392px) Image search: [Google]
1420937152166.jpg
147KB, 400x392px
>>30949170
>>
>>30923122
Not true, the university of Vienna I think did some tests on firearms of the time. They would up being ~75% accurate at combat distances under test conditions. I don't remember most of the juicy details, but the firearms of the time were more accurate than you give credit for. A large deal of the inaccuracy resulted from the inability to standardize powder, bullet loads, etc.
>>
File: Myrbach-Cossacks.jpg (399KB, 1025x631px) Image search: [Google]
Myrbach-Cossacks.jpg
399KB, 1025x631px
REMOVE FROG
>>
>>30922067

Brits. Rifle Regiments wore dark green.
Thread posts: 165
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.