[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are real-life Air Force pilots/Naval aviators as cocky as in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 238
Thread images: 28

File: USA-daynjazhoan.jpg (999KB, 2228x1732px) Image search: [Google]
USA-daynjazhoan.jpg
999KB, 2228x1732px
Are real-life Air Force pilots/Naval aviators as cocky as in the movies?

Is there a lot of buzzing the tower and aerial stunts and just generally having a need for speed?

Are they adrenaline junkies?
>>
>>30912766

>Is there a lot of buzzing the tower and aerial stunts

It really depends on the country.

Russia seems to intentionally encourage this kind of behavior for whatever reason. But the US Navy definitely does NOT. If you did any of that shit that Tom Cruise does in Top Gun, then you're gone. They simply will NOT trust a multi-million dollar machine to somebody who doesn't follow orders.
>>
After a bird is out of playtime on CAS trips they will almost always do a fly by for us on that ground. Some will get pretty close too.
But this is out in the middle of nowhere usually and only operators on the ground, not high ranking assholes.
>>
>>30912766
>>30912989

Furthermore, you'll get hazed by the ready room for being a douchebag.

It's a humbling profession. Call signs aren't cool for a reason. It's one of the most self-critical organizations I know. You will sit through multi hour debriefs listing every single thing you fucked away and how to do it better next time. Guys that excel are the consummate professionals that realize that they need to constantly strive for improvement.

Besides, current air warfare demands constant reading and studying. It's not what most of you guys think. There are fun parts, but for every one of those, there are days of studying tactics, procedures, preparing for briefs, or getting ground job stuff out of the way. I study 10 times more now than I ever did in school.

First rule of Naval Aviation, Be a Dude/Don't be a douchebag.
>>
Some air forces seem to have more fun than others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLXhPoxytsM
>>
>>30912766
Most are cargo pilots. So, they are sort of just bus drivers in the sky. And they wear brown shoes, like idiots.
>>
>>30913047
>Armee de l'air

That's cheating. their doctrine is basically "if you fly higher than 150 feets at any given time while in operation, you are a faggot".
>>
>>30912766
Buzzing the tower, etc no; they're very by the books. However, in their personal life they're often cocky - here for example is a drop video; the video a graduating pilot class makes for themselves; I'll let you form your own opinion of what they think of themselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejl-xwzDCG4
>>
Buzzing the tower isn't a thing.
Most bases have procedures in place to avoid low flying over the ramp, hanger, and by the tower.

t. tower cuck.
>>
>>30913018
My cousin in the Navy said the only way you'd get a callsign like "Maverick" or "Iceman" is in sarcasm and for being a fucking faggot.
>>
>>30913116
SEMEN ON THE POOPDECK
>>
>>30912766

I'd be cocky as hell if my job was to fly a multi million dollar killing machine at supersonic speeds
>>
File: Ukraine.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Ukraine.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>
File: IMG_3832.jpg (136KB, 653x490px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3832.jpg
136KB, 653x490px
I teach SERE to air force fighter pilots from time to time and I can tell you that they think they are some hot fucking shit.

"burning holes in the sky!"

The only ones I fucking love are A-10 pilots. Fucking savages. Drink, make sexist jokes and get along great with the ground pounders they support.
>>
>>30914952
can i have some examples?
>>
>>30915157
For example when I'm teaching map work. Especially MGRS they always shrug it off and are like, "I do this shit all day everyday". Then when we go to do the practical they are doing weird shit like trying to read their map upside down, orienting their map upside down or sideways. Generally if they think they know something they don't listen.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
9KB, 480x360px
>You will never dance with the angels

feels bad man
>>
Someone post the excerpt from Sled Driver
>>
File: 1451682842076.jpg (58KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
1451682842076.jpg
58KB, 736x552px
Some aren't cocky.
>>
>>30914952
Do you know the guy who made the SERE 100 videos they show in basic? Motherfuckers beret goes down to his neck.
>>
>>30915366
haha, the SERE flash is so small that you can contour it that way. I can't remember who did that video but rest assured everyone gave him shit for it.
>>
Funny thing is, Army rotary wing pilots tend to be bigger douches than AF fixed wing pilots.
>was in a Kiowa unit for 4 years
>it was also a Cav unit
In those four years 3 pilots killed themselves (one of whom took his co with him) doing stupid, illegal stunts. Like attempting a loop-de-loop in an aircraft that is flat-out not capable of it.

Then another shot his own rotor off with his M4 (in training, no less) and crashed, paralyzing himself and breaking his co's leg.

And the commissioned officers were a billion times worse than the warrants, despite the fact the warrants flew more.
>>
>>30915419
Kiowa pilots are fucking crazy
>>
I think it's pretty much a requirement to have a lot of self confidence to perform this job, which goes hand in hand with arrogance and becoming a huge asshole.

Surgeons have similar attitudes.
>>
>>30915424
Yes.

But also fucking retarded.

I was ground crew, and I got shot at more by my own pilots (both as a legit accident in zero-viz sandstorms, as a fucking *joke*, and as actual ND's).

Our A trp CO had 2 separate negligent discharges with HE rockets on the rearm pad, then went on to seriously injure one of the 15J's with his M4 after he ND'd in the cockpit after leaving his weapon unattended in the bird during an AAR.
>all within 5 months
>he was never officially reprimanded
>>
>>30915444
I once saw a Kiowa co-pilot fire his pistol out of his aircraft after they made a gun run on a enemy force. Crazy motherfuckers.
>>
>>30915479
They did it all the time in combat.

Partly because they never actually hit anything with their 4 rockets and 350rds of .50.

They also never hit anything with their rifles or pistols.
>>
>>30915496
haha good times good times. I will say they were always eager to help.. I'm somewhat fond of them.
>>
>>30915531
Ours weren't. Literally required the task force commander to order them to go out.

I swear I had the shittiest unit in the Cav.
>>
File: brianshul_blackbird.jpg (86KB, 636x761px) Image search: [Google]
brianshul_blackbird.jpg
86KB, 636x761px
>There were a lot of things we couldn't do in an SR-71, but we were the fastest guys on the block and loved reminding our fellow aviators of this fact. People often asked us if, because of this fact, it was fun to fly the jet. Fun would not be the first word I would use to describe flying this plane. Intense, maybe. Even cerebral. But there was one day in our Sled experience when we would have to say that it was pure fun to be the fastest guys out there, at least for a moment.

>It occurred when Walt and I were flying our final training sortie. We needed 100 hours in the jet to complete our training and attain Mission Ready status. Somewhere over Colorado we had passed the century mark. We had made the turn in Arizona and the jet was performing flawlessly. My gauges were wired in the front seat and we were starting to feel pretty good about ourselves, not only because we would soon be flying real missions but because we had gained a great deal of confidence in the plane in the past ten months. Ripping across the barren deserts 80,000 feet below us, I could already see the coast of California from the Arizona border. I was, finally, after many humbling months of simulators and study, ahead of the jet.
>>
>>30915603 Cot'd

>I was beginning to feel a bit sorry for Walter in the back seat. There he was, with no really good view of the incredible sights before us, tasked with monitoring four different radios. This was good practice for him for when we began flying real missions, when a priority transmission from headquarters could be vital. It had been difficult, too, for me to relinquish control of the radios, as during my entire flying career I had controlled my own transmissions. But it was part of the division of duties in this plane and I had adjusted to it. I still insisted on talking on the radio while we were on the ground, however. Walt was so good at many things, but he couldn't match my expertise at sounding smooth on the radios, a skill that had been honed sharply with years in fighter squadrons where the slightest radio miscue was grounds for beheading. He understood that and allowed me that luxury.

>Just to get a sense of what Walt had to contend with, I pulled the radio toggle switches and monitored the frequencies along with him. The predominant radio chatter was from Los Angeles Center, far below us, controlling daily traffic in their sector. While they had us on their scope (albeit briefly), we were in uncontrolled airspace and normally would not talk to them unless we needed to descend into their airspace.

>We listened as the shaky voice of a lone Cessna pilot asked Center for a readout of his ground speed. Center replied: "November Charlie 175, I'm showing you at ninety knots on the ground."

2/4
>>
>>30915612

>The thing to understand about Center controllers, was that whether they were talking to a rookie pilot in a Cessna, or to Air Force One, they always spoke in the exact same, calm, deep, professional, tone that made one feel important. I referred to it as the " Houston Center voice." I have always felt that after years of seeing documentaries on this country's space program and listening to the calm and distinct voice of the Houston controllers, that all other controllers since then wanted to sound like that, and that they basically did. And it didn't matter what sector of the country we would be flying in, it always seemed like the same guy was talking. Over the years that tone of voice had become somewhat of a comforting sound to pilots everywhere. Over the years, pilots always wanted to ensure that, when transmitting, they sounded like Chuck Yeager, or at least like John Wayne. Better to die than sound bad on the radios.

>Moments after the Cessna's inquiry, a Twin Beech piped up on frequency, in a rather superior tone, asking for his ground speed. "I have you at one hundred and twenty-five knots of ground speed." Boy, I thought, the Beechcraft really must think he is dazzling his Cessna brethren. Then out of the blue, a navy F-18 pilot out of NAS Lemoore came up on frequency. You knew right away it was a Navy jock because he sounded very cool on the radios. "Center, Dusty 52 ground speed check". Before Center could reply, I'm thinking to myself, hey, Dusty 52 has a ground speed indicator in that million-dollar cockpit, so why is he asking Center for a readout? Then I got it, ol' Dusty here is making sure that every bug smasher from Mount Whitney to the Mojave knows what true speed is. He's the fastest dude in the valley today, and he just wants everyone to know how much fun he is having in his new Hornet. The reply, always with that same, calm, voice, with more distinct alliteration than emotion: "Dusty 52, Center, we have you at 620 on the ground."
>>
File: sr71cock.jpg (88KB, 800x603px) Image search: [Google]
sr71cock.jpg
88KB, 800x603px
>>30915628

>And I thought to myself, is this a ripe situation, or what? As my hand instinctively reached for the mic button, I had to remind myself that Walt was in control of the radios. Still, I thought, it must be done - in mere seconds we'll be out of the sector and the opportunity will be lost. That Hornet must die, and die now. I thought about all of our Sim training and how important it was that we developed well as a crew and knew that to jump in on the radios now would destroy the integrity of all that we had worked toward becoming. I was torn.

>Somewhere, 13 miles above Arizona, there was a pilot screaming inside his space helmet. Then, I heard it. The click of the mic button from the back seat. That was the very moment that I knew Walter and I had become a crew. Very professionally, and with no emotion, Walter spoke: "Los Angeles Center, Aspen 20, can you give us a ground speed check?" There was no hesitation, and the replay came as if was an everyday request. "Aspen 20, I show you at one thousand eight hundred and forty-two knots, across the ground."
>>
File: nite2.jpg (11KB, 550x177px) Image search: [Google]
nite2.jpg
11KB, 550x177px
>>30915638

>I think it was the forty-two knots that I liked the best, so accurate and proud was Center to deliver that information without hesitation, and you just knew he was smiling. But the precise point at which I knew that Walt and I were going to be really good friends for a long time was when he keyed the mic once again to say, in his most fighter-pilot-like voice: "Ah, Center, much thanks, we're showing closer to nineteen hundred on the money."

>For a moment Walter was a god. And we finally heard a little crack in the armor of the Houston Center voice, when L.A.came back with, "Roger that Aspen, Your equipment is probably more accurate than ours. You boys have a good one."

It all had lasted for just moments, but in that short, memorable sprint across the southwest, the Navy had been flamed, all mortal airplanes on freq were forced to bow before the King of Speed, and more importantly, Walter and I had crossed the threshold of being a crew. A fine day's work. We never heard another transmission on that frequency all the way to the coast.

>For just one day, it truly was fun being the fastest guys out there.

_____

I may have messed up copying it over, but I think most of the story is here. My favorite story about cocky pilots, OP.
>>
File: 1451377431461.jpg (73KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
1451377431461.jpg
73KB, 480x320px
>>30915649
>>
>>30913067
that music is awful.
>>
>>30912766
>technician here
Eh, they're not that bad. Some think they're hot shit but they know their limits and hot shot wannabes tend to get brought down to earth by the real guys. The attitude usually comes from air cadets with everything to prove.

I got to tag along in a two seater once and everyone was really nice and respectful.

Some are adrenaline junkies but they're not stupid, breaking flight discipline kills people.
>>
>>30915649
Nice story, thanks
>>
>>30915649
I've read that story at least a dozen fucking times, and every goddamn time by the end I'm grinning ear to goddamn ear like a fucking idiot.
>>
File: Top-Gun-H.jpg (255KB, 1044x772px) Image search: [Google]
Top-Gun-H.jpg
255KB, 1044x772px
>>30912766
I recommend this highly accurate documentary of the life of naval aviators.
>>
File: hvev6Gt4xrWcDc9vs1GO1rqWp4o.jpg (140KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
hvev6Gt4xrWcDc9vs1GO1rqWp4o.jpg
140KB, 800x1200px
>>30915790
... and this documentary as well.
>>
File: 1469533865866.gif (417KB, 267x199px) Image search: [Google]
1469533865866.gif
417KB, 267x199px
>>30915649
>>
File: hot shots.jpg (46KB, 347x500px) Image search: [Google]
hot shots.jpg
46KB, 347x500px
>>30915805
Let us not forget this fictionalized account of real USN ops. Right up there with Black Hawk Down in my book.
>>
>>30915790
will look into it thank you man
>>
>>30915805
Watched this movie again after reading Armada by Ernest Cline. It was absolutely just as shitty as I'd remembered. Book was awesome, though.
>>
File: image.jpg (673KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
673KB, 1152x864px
My grandpa told me once during ww2 he saw the us navy black cats take off on a mission. Found them a few years later on world at war. I bet they were very cocky
>>
File: momoneyfodaprograms.jpg (370KB, 632x1000px) Image search: [Google]
momoneyfodaprograms.jpg
370KB, 632x1000px
>>30915927
Your grandfather is a goddam liar
>>
File: image.png (140KB, 600x546px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
140KB, 600x546px
>>30915987
>>
>>30913018

Basically the same in the air force, but with more per diem, less shitty/awesome callsigns, no boats(yay Al Udeid) and crabbing and flaring when you land.

>>30914952

The first time I did MGRS was at SV-80. Also during a certain part of that course, we managed not to get anybody killed, which was apparently surprising for a group of fighter guys.
>>
>>30916035
Glad you survived.
>>
>>30912766
they just want to get in a super fast auto pilot suicide scrap of metal to get their old rocks off.
>>
>>30916197

Best course I never want to do again
>>
>>30915339

>omg people cant see me duckface with this mask on ;_:
>>
>>30915339

she's probably not a pilot. maybe a VIP, or an incentive ride, or Public Affairs.
>>
>>30912766
"Buzzing the tower" isn't a thing, doing that without permission would probably just get you kicked out. However in the navy, while on deployment with a carrier, pilots would regularly request fly bys and our CO would always give permission and practically encouraged them to get as close to the ship and fly as fast as possible, though I never saw any break the sound barrier. Some got pretty damn close though and it was always a treat to get outside and watch a fly by
>>
>>30915442
And interestingly enough in general aviation surgeons are notorious for offing themselves. The same confidence/blurry line/cockiness bleeds into their flying and gets them killed.
>>
>>30914887
well, you got to make use of your 2000+ hours in DCS somehow
>>
Airforce is pretty gay. Computers do all the hard work and anyone with 4 weeks of training can fly those things from a chair and some greasy and cheese stained controls from the ground.
>>
>>30916988

too bad we're not flying them from chairs on the ground, then.
>>
>>30915442
>>30916949

the cocky assholes don't get very far.

but fighter types tend to be competent at their jobs and at other aspects of their lives, and think that others should be too. which is a problem when you talk to finance.
>>
>>30915210
watching land nav at CCT school is pretty fun too
>>
>>30917012
you would need at least 3 people in chairs. One pilot, one 'shooter and bomber' and another one looking at the radar and the sensors.
Thats a big industrial package of hot pockets and gallons of mountain dew instead of investing a fuckload of money into one faggot that quotes top gun way too much and requires chocolate fountains when he lands.
Planes and jets deserve more.

If anyone with an ounce of brain in the army was asked any important questions, we would be flying planes as a part time job from our homes. + the internet would be exponentially faster world wide.
Torrenting entire series and shows would last 5.3 seconds.
But there is money to launder so none of that is going to happen.
>>
>>30917196

please let me know how you intend to solve speed of light latency issues when some SAM engagements last shorter than latency.
>>
>>30916035
Nigga my dad knew a guy who's call sign was "shark", and he flew A 10s. Thats just good. Meanwhile my dad's was shoe, cause of our last name. Then again, dad flew helos
>>
>>30917218
Drop flares, fire extinguishers and tinfoil while doing barrel rolls and shit.
Also make the entire jet a lot cheaper, like a drone so it isnt a big deal if it gets shot down.
>>
I served as a conscript mechanic, in basic I was in the same company as conscript pilot trainees, people who were accepted to the pilot course, they would fly a basic trainer and less than five of them would make it into the military academy, they were real wankers thinking they are better than all other conscripts in the base

actual fighter pilots were chill, I heard stories about doing stupid shit like trying to pull maximum G on a trainer aircraft and shit but I guess that's part of the job, most seemed very professional

t. guy who doesn't actually know anything
>>
>>30917380

none of that is a solution.

maybe if you had even a few hours in a 172 you'd know why.
>>
>>30912766
There's none of that "buzzing the tower" shenanigans. But pilots, usually the younger ones, do have a tendency to believe they are literal gods. They grow out of it eventually.
>>
>>30917400
Blow it out your ass you faggot nigger all pilots are useless so that the airforce can launder money much easier.
I could do it better than any of them niggers.
I flew trough a tunnel in a jet upside down in San Andreas
>>
>>30916647
Not as if there aren't plenty of female pilots, or as if pilots don't take selfies.
>>
>>30917446
playing as a nigger, but it doesnt matter
youre not a british tank you should be fine
>>
>>30913018
Bull shit. I had an O6 who had a placard on his desk that read
"You're sitting on that side because I'm a fighter pilot and you're not.

They are very cocky and arrogant and the only people who can talk down to them are other fighter pilots. The ONLY reason there are 5000 or so people on a carrier and dedicated small boy and sub support is to advance the mission of well under 100 pilots.
They are arrogant and entitled and rightfully so. They ARE force projection.
>>
>>30917457

female pilots know better than to leave hair hanging out the front of their helmet. selfies require a photo pass which is a massive PITA. and having your visor up is another pain.
>>
>>30917484
Selfies don't require a photo pass. At least in the Navy, I'm fairly certain it's up to the COs discretion. I got to spend 4 weeks with the training squadron, and all I had to do was ask. The CO said no pictures of the console in front of me, but to take as many selfies or pics of the wings/outside the canopy as I wanted
>>
>>30917464

the difference between arrogance and self-confidence is that you can back one up.

that said, that shit would not fly (no pun intended) in the Air Force. you don't make O-6 as a fighter dude without being a WIC grad, and the motto of WIC is "Humble, approachable, credible"

>>30917545

it depends on the loadout of the jet, but at least in the AF a cell phone that's on in the cockpit is a security violation most of the time.
>>
File: 1363500004811.gif (203KB, 755x601px) Image search: [Google]
1363500004811.gif
203KB, 755x601px
>>30917464
>They are very cocky and arrogant and the only people who can talk down to them are other fighter pilots. The ONLY reason there are 5000 or so people on a carrier and dedicated small boy and sub support is to advance the mission of well under 100 pilots.

That is WHY their fellow pilots take pains to shit on them, and why the debriefs will core their assholes out as thoroughly as possible. The qualities of aggression and arrogance are vital for a fighter pilot, so they're almost always going to have them. That's why it has to be balanced with some scathing criticism to make sure they can actually walk the walk, not just talk the talk.

Not that we've ever had an actual fighter driver on /k/, though.
>>
>>30917599

we've had a Viper and Rhino single seater driver and a Strike Eagle WSO
>>
File: IMG_0019 4chan.jpg (181KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0019 4chan.jpg
181KB, 1024x768px
99% of the military pilots I've met are pretty average Joes/Josies. While they are intelligent, hard working, and respected with all the natural confidence that entails, they are rarely showy.

But most have a very well developed sense of fun, and do like to show off for their loved ones, which can occasionally get out of hand. Both of the incidents I've witnessed involved a pilot giving an impromptu airshow after returning from the ME. In the first one, a pilot with 3 months left in service decided to take off with full afterburners at a civilian airfield, gaining 40+ noise complaints from the local community and jeopardizing their continued acceptance for training operations. In the other, a pilot accidentally broke the speed of sound while performing an overhead break at 1000', shattering dozens of windows at the base. Both pilots were severely reprimanded.

(neither of the squadrons in this picture were involved fyi)
>>
>>30915496
>They also never hit anything with their rifles or pistols.

LOACH gunners certainly did. Then again, they picked their gunners very, very carefully.
>>
>>30917610

... full AB takeoffs are standard in my community, and it's actually much safer for everyone involved if full burner is used at all times. the alternative is a fighter falling down on a house laden with tanks and bombs.
>>
File: 1397400277343.png (438KB, 910x898px) Image search: [Google]
1397400277343.png
438KB, 910x898px
>>30915649
>>
>>30917681

As good as that story is, I like the one about how SLOW an SR-71 can fly even better.
>>
>>30917630
I've always wondered, is it written "LOH's or LOACHs"??

Or is it really up to the person writing it?
>>
File: IMG_0028 4chan.jpg (247KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0028 4chan.jpg
247KB, 1024x768px
>>30917634
He set off every car alarm within a 3 mile radius in a major metropolitan area. We had people showing up at the airfield demanding to know wtf was going on, there were more noise complaints from it than the previous 6 months of operations combined, dozens of phone calls, tweets, Facebook messages, and 7-8 people showed up to complain at the next city council meeting. It was a huge headache.
>>
File: Lockheed_SR-71_Blackbird.jpg (2MB, 5100x3996px) Image search: [Google]
Lockheed_SR-71_Blackbird.jpg
2MB, 5100x3996px
>>30912766
>Are they adrenaline junkies?
There are huge differences. The tail hook affair demonstrates the lower band.

The upper reaches of elitedom were the Backbird pilots. They rather took the cerebral approach to fun.
>>
>>30917702
Got it laying round?
>>
>>30917706
>I've always wondered, is it written "LOH's or LOACHs"??

Strictly speaking it's LOH, Light Observation Helicopter. But everyone pronounced it LOACH.
>>
>>30917805

i'm assuming you don't have departure end cables on your runway. given the high rotation speed of a fighter (150-ish for dual engine, nearly 200 knots single engine), the safest thing to do would be to maximize his thrust and take off with as much pavement in front of him as possible. and that means full AB takeoffs. that's just the reality of fighter flying.
>>
>>30917814

ayep http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/article/speed-is-life/#.V6kU9-9AiHc
>>
>tfw can't decide NROTC for aviation contract, or enlist with 18X in the Army
Honestly please help.
>>
>>30915330
King of speed, you mean?
>There were a lot of things we couldn't do in an SR-71, but we were the fastest guys on the block and loved reminding our fellow aviators of this fact.
>>
>>30917877
go NROTC m8, my last 4 years were fun as hell, and now I have IFS and flight school to look forward to.
>>
>>30917940
Good luck, just got accepted into Navy OCS as a future SNA.
>>
>>30917854
That's a great one.
>I was flying the SR-71 out of RAF Mildenhall, England, with my back-seater, Walt Watson; we were returning from a mission over Europe and the Iron Curtain when we received a radio transmission from home base. As we scooted across Denmark in three minutes, we learned that a small RAF base in the English countryside had requested an SR-71 flypast. The air cadet commander there was a former Blackbird pilot, and thought it would be a motivating moment for the young lads to see the mighty SR-71 perform a low approach. No problem, we were happy to do it. After a quick aerial refueling over the North Sea, we proceeded to find the small airfield.

>Walter had a myriad of sophisticated navigation equipment in the back seat, and began to vector me toward the field. Descending to subsonic speeds, we found ourselves over a densely wooded area in a slight haze. Like most former WWII British airfields, the one we were looking for had a small tower and little surrounding infrastructure. Walter told me we were close and that I should be able to see the field, but I saw nothing. Nothing but trees as far as I could see in the haze. We got a little lower, and I pulled the throttles back from the 325 knots we were at. With the gear up, anything under 275 was just uncomfortable. Walt said we were practically over the field—yet, there was nothing in my windscreen. I banked the jet and started a gentle circling maneuver in hopes of picking up anything that looked like a field.
>>
>>30918002
I just got in for intel, you got a shipdate?
>>
>>30918002
Congrats m8. I don't start IFS till November, so I get a whole nother SEC football season, except this time I have a paycheck instead of a stipend, no classes to worry about, no tests, no homework.

The next 4 months or so are going to be great.
>>
>>30917940
>>30918002

McGuire's is delicious, i loved the Bodacious Brew for coffee and weekend studying, Tin Cow was a late-night favorite, go to flight suit fridays to bogart beer from dudes who just finished API, and stay away from Seville Quarter or any girl wearing a full-length jean skirt because they go to Pensacola Christian. i mean i'm pretty conservative and religious, and they were too conservative and religious for me.
>>
>>30918011
>Meanwhile, below, the cadet commander had taken the cadets up on the catwalk of the tower in order to get a prime view of the flypast. It was a quiet, still day with no wind and partial gray overcast. Walter continued to give me indications that the field should be below us, but in the overcast and haze, I couldn’t see it. The longer we continued to peer out the window and circle, the slower we got. With our power back, the awaiting cadets heard nothing. I must have had good instructors in my flying career, as something told me I better cross-check the gauges. As I noticed the airspeed indicator slide below 160 knots, my heart stopped and my adrenalin-filled left hand pushed two throttles full forward. At this point, we weren’t really flying, but were falling in a slight bank. Just at the moment that both afterburners lit with a thunderous roar of flame (and what a joyous feeling that was), the aircraft fell into full view of the shocked observers on the tower. Shattering the still quiet of that morning, they now had 107 feet of fire-breathing titanium in their face as the plane leveled and accelerated, in full burner, on the tower side of the infield, closer than expected, maintaining what could only be described as some sort of ultimate knife-edge pass.
>>
>>30918034
>Quickly reaching the field boundary, we proceeded back to Mildenhall without incident. We didn’t say a word for those next 14 minutes. After landing, our commander greeted us, and we were both certain he was reaching for our wings. Instead, he heartily shook our hands and said the commander had told him it was the greatest SR-71 flypast he had ever seen, especially how we had surprised them with such a precise maneuver that could only be described as breathtaking. He said that some of the cadet’s hats were blown off and the sight of the planform of the plane in full afterburner dropping right in front of them was unbelievable. Walt and I both understood the concept of “breathtaking” very well that morning, and sheepishly replied that they were just excited to see our low approach.

>As we retired to the equipment room to change from space suits to flight suits, we just sat there—we hadn’t spoken a word since “the pass.” Finally, Walter looked at me and said, “One hundred fifty-six knots. What did you see?” Trying to find my voice, I stammered, “One hundred fifty-two.” We sat in silence for a moment. Then Walt said, “Don’t ever do that to me again!” And I never did.
>>
>>30918043
>A year later, Walter and I were having lunch in the Mildenhall Officer’s Club, and overheard an officer talking to some cadets about an SR-71 flypast that he had seen one day. Of course, by now the story included kids falling off the tower and screaming as the heat of the jet singed their eyebrows. Noticing our HABU patches, as we stood there with lunch trays in our hands, he asked us to verify to the cadets that such a thing had occurred. Walt just shook his head and said, “It was probably just a routine low approach; they’re pretty impressive in that plane.” Impressive indeed.
>>
>>30917218
>speed of light latency
Speed of light is around the globe in 1/7 second. You mean a SAM engagement lasts less than 140 ms??
>>
>>30918059

That bit right there's my favorite part of the whole story.
>>
>>30918002
Not yet. Just heard back from the recruiter last week.
>>
>>30918062

You clearly haven't been reading RTs coverage of the new S-500 Divina, have you?
>>
>>30918062

yup.
>>
>>30917851
It's a 10,000 foot runway, space is not an issue. The Marines regularly conduct training operations there, nonstandard takeoffs are explicitly banned. He knew this, he acknowledged he knew this, then he decided to fly down the runway at nearly the speed of sound with a 30 foot jet of flame coming out his ass end, and then directly overfly the residential area at the end of the runway with full afterburners at 1000-3000 feet. He was formally reprimanded by his CO, a fellow pilot, for breaking regulations. He didn't care, he was gone in 3 months while we had to clean up his mess after him. Normally I love working with the military, but this left a bad taste in my mouth.
>>
>>30918077
No.

Is there really anything on RT that is credible??

>>30918082
OK, so how is this countered? Pilot observing and reacting, or automatic action from ECM suite? (assuming you can tell, that is)
>>
>>30918016

Meant to reply to

>>30918016
>>
>>30918071
>>30918104
Oh word I only heard back a few weeks ago, pilots probably leave sooner they have higher demand, I heard i might have a september/october shipdate. I don't want the september 11 class though
>>
>>30917012
while he is crude, he has a point. the computers in modern fighters has come so far that they are actually the ones that fly the aircraft, while the pilot sits in his cockpit and tells the computer which direction he would like the plane to go.

Programming the computers to do certain things in certain situations isn't difficult at all, and it would be difficult to ensure a connection with the aircraft at all times, but not impossible. The reaction time of the computer is lightyears faster than the pilots, and often more accurate.

We aren't in the place where pilots are redundant by any means, but we are approaching that point.
>>
>>30918101
>Is there really anything on RT that is credible??

That's the joke. You ought to go read it sometime. I made a thread about it. I call it the Vatnik Game: read through it, then stop and post the line in the thread where you finally lost it and started laughing out loud.
>>
>>30918095
>at nearly the speed of sound with a 30 foot jet of flame coming out his ass end
Now I really just want to see a naked dude running down the middle of a runway with 30 fucking feet of flames coming out of his asshole. The image is there. It'll never go away. I'm going to have to figure out how to make this happen.

How many statutes would I be breaking/how much jail time for streaking down a civilian runway on "afterburner"?
>>
>>30912989
it used to be that way

now its more professional

it has lost a lot of its personality and what made it what it is. but then again, I guess the personal aspect of doesnt matter much when your target is a blip on a screen or a vague thermal image.
>>
>>30917397

>Sending conscripts to fly airplanes

Why not give them a free education and home while you're at it?
>>
>>30918095

AB takeoffs are standard for my community. i don't think i've ever seen a mil power takeoff. just part of dealing with the high rotation and rejection speeds. and there's no way he's near the Mach that close to the departure end. 300 knots cal isn't quite the sound barrier.

>>30918101

luck and tactics that i'm not 100% sure i can talk about. they involve some of our countermeasures.
>>
>>30915339
>rear ends the jet in front of her, blames them for slowing down to fast
>>
>>30918175
I know that automatic systems are sold - just don't know if deployed.

The idea is that it feeds a belt of metallicised needles fast through a cutter so that the machine emits a cloud of dipoles cut to the wavelength of the guidance radar.

If 140 ms is all you have to react I'd say you'd better leave it to automated ECM systems - otherwise you go into the land of information overload.
>>
>>30918223

there's not room for that on a fighter.
>>
>>30917877
I'm trying to decide between NROTC an AF ROTC. Honestly please help. And why doesn't anyone from the AF return my emails?
>>
>>30918298

hahaha yeah... gotta keep bugging them. try emailing dudes at the detachment of the school you're at.
>>
>>30918175
Your community is not my community. These regulations were put in place months in advance, and 99% of pilots had no trouble following them. The real shitty part is that we used to be able to let pilot's families out on the tarmac so they could watch them take off. Afterwords the military started cracking down on that, and even cracking down on letting them see their families during work hours. That's blue falcon to the core.

And I was told he peaked at just under 700 knots, although that might have been after he left the runway. Close enough to the speed of sound to me.
>>
>>30912766

Dunno about AF pilots but I have a buddy who's a private jet pilot and he loves to push the edge. He'll get drunk and ride his literbike with no protection (We're talking shorts and flip-flops here), has this smoking hot, smart and loyal GF that he constantly cheats on, he even defrauds the city by rigging up an electrical and gas bypass around his meters (Pretty big fucking deal if he gets caught), not because he can't afford utilities, just for the rush.

Basically, what I'm saying is, his ego is writing checks his body can't cash. I've tried to talk to him about his erratic behavior, but he always tells me to fuck off and twists is around on me somehow.
>>
>>30918310

getting on the flight line requires an escort for families, and most of the time that's for fini flights and deployment leave/return. even taking photos of the jets taking off on a normal day from outside the flight line can get you the stink eye from the cops.

must have had a clean jet - that's getting pretty fast.
>>
>>30918298

Just comissioned last year through AFROTC, depends on what you are looking for.

The NROTC people had more money for their clubs, but if you didn't pick up scholarship you were fucked.

AFROTC was meh. I'll stick around if you want to ask questions about it.
>>
>>30918363

not him, but you off at UPT?
>>
>>30918371

No, but I got a couple of friends in varying phases. What you want to know?
>>
>>30918298
Contact the cadre at the host university, or call up your admissions department at your school and have them get you in contact with the ROTC department.

If you're trying to contact the AFROTC regional director of admissions and you're in the east coast, he's been assigned somewhere else and is being replaced.

I could help you decide if you want. What major are you doing and what job would you like in the military?
>>
>>30918384

nah, just wondering what you were doing on this fine Air Force day.
>>
>>30918391

62E - Developmental Engineer. It's not as cool as you think.

It does have some pros though - I'd fucking kill myself if I were Finance or something like that.
>>
>>30918387

Cadre at the host university is probably the best bet - they have dedicated emails that they should check, especially around interview time for scholarships.
>>
>>30918407

you'll make some money on the outside. i've got a few friends in it, one somewhere in NM, the other who just Palace Chased and who was at LA AFB
>>
>>30913018
The current air warfare is going away soon.

Can't wait for drones.
>>
>>30918407
Not him, but you at Wright-Patterson right now?
>>
>>30912766
They are more cocky. They tone it down for movies so that the actors will be at least somewhat likeable.
>>
>>30918420

Nah - you go there for your 3 week basics of Acquisition though if your a 60 series AFSC. Better than where I am now.

>>30918416

LA AFB - nice SPO. NM... If you like Test it's the place to be at other than Edwards or Eglin.
>>
>>30918414
They will also have a phone number you can call.

If the detachment is hosted at your university, it should be extremely easy to get signed up, as all you need to do is add the course, and then fill out the paperwork properly and present it at orientation.

Make sure to follow the directions they provide for the paperwork. One of the key things is to not sign or date anything on the paperwork until you're at orientation and they tell you to.
>>
>>30918441

i'm thinking TPS for me one day. there's not a lot of slots, but not a lot of competition for my AFSC and i entered the AF with a master's in engineering, so i'm feeling pretty competitive.

i'd be going to Eglin after TPS likely if i go.
>>
>>30918447

I can concur - I was a walk in during my student orientation. Just sign up for the class and fill the preliminary stuff. If you got medical or stuff like that it'll get sorted at DODMERB
>>
>>30918441
Isn't Wright-Patterson one of the number one places they station 62Es?

Where are you stationed now?
>>
>>30916988
>Air Force
>Posts Royal Navy Gr. 9

кys desu
>>
>>30918456

TPS... you hit close to home for me. Everyone where I am is a TPS grad.

If you want to stay in test, you gotta go to TPS. All the squadron commander slots are rated for some stupid reason, even in T&E.
>>
>>30913066
Kek'd because from the shit they routinely do it seems true. They get to fly in bumfuck central Africa, nobody gives a shit. Kek.
>>
>>30918464

Yeah, they have a shit ton of 62Es.

I'm in a desert - take your pick. We pretty much all do the same thing.
>>
>>30918463
When I went to new student orientation and I had the opportunity to make changes to my course schedule, I told them to enroll me in the AFROTC courses and that was that.

I thought they fucked up because it listed the wrong time for the course, and my school's site only listed the course they put down as being for Army ROTC, but I checked later and it had the proper time and information.
>>
>>30918481

AF leadership is rated (and by rated i mean Pilots, no CSOs/WSOs/Navs/EWOs allowed, much less an ABM or a missileer) except in like Space and Medical and Law. it's just the nature of the beast - like why Army Chiefs of Staff are all combat arms or Navy Admirals have Command at Sea pins.
>>
>>30918490
I'm going to be 62E when I commission, and I want to be stationed at Wright-Patterson. That's why I was checking lol.
>>
>>30918095
fuck you, crybaby faggot.

i chuckled heartily
>>
>>30918507

It's a good place, a lot of AFRL stuff there. Let me know what you want and I can help with your dream sheet haha.

I was a 21A before they put me as 62E a week before my commissioning. Glad you got 62E though.
>>
>>30918519

major bullet dodged there, dude.
>>
>>30918525

Everyone tells me that, but I wanted to do operational shit with my friends. The cubicle life is slowly killing me.

AFSOC 21A would be awesome, but probably not too likely.
>>
>>30917877
Yeah, i want to know everything i can. Would you recommend?
>>
>>30918533
UPT awaits!

or UCT.

flight suits are sweet, it only takes like a minute to get ready and most of that is tying your boots.
>>
>>30918330
you're going to have to punch him in the face of you want him to listen.

I know this because im exactly like him
>>
File: 1453953014655.gif (2MB, 189x392px) Image search: [Google]
1453953014655.gif
2MB, 189x392px
>>30915784
THIS!!!!!!!!!! EVERY DAMN TIME!!!
>>
>>30918545

Haha, I don't want to be a flyer. I'm sure I could maybe finagle myself into aircrew if I really wanted it or TPS.

13L boards are up, but I need to drop my runtime before I even think about applying.
>>
>>30918494
Well I really want to be a pilot. What courses should I take?
>>
>>30918564
flyers can be ALOs too...
>>
>>30918575

Focus on keeping your GPA up and don't be a fuck. Don't get arrested or DUIs, then apply for a rated slot at FT.
>>
>>30914887
>Su-25s_operating_at_flight_ceiling.webm
>>
>>30918592
Does asvab score really matter?
>>
>>30918592

also run fast and do a lot of pushups.
>>
>>30918584

But dat career 13L though. No need to fly for me.
>>
Fighter pilots are Chads who have to try to act professional at times.
>>
>>30915649
Still one of the best stories ever. 10/10
>>
>>30918575
You should talk to your detachment's cadre.

From what I understand, you just have to take the normal AFROTC courses and meet the physical and academic requirements.

Your cadre will have more information regarding it. Call them up, they should be able to assist you.
>>
>>30918605

Depends, there are plenty of meh shape pilots. Whoring yourself out to your Det/CC helps too.

>>30918602

You'll take the AFOQT and have to get mins for rated. Then you have the TBAS and some other shit - that matters more, though not as much as you think.

We have a crit man of rated, so eh. Med DQ gets most people.
>>
>>30918617
Thanks a ton m8
>>
>>30918606

since fighter pilots tended to be most of the ALOs before the career field started, the culture is apparently very pilot-ish according to a guy i know who was an ALO before being med DQ'd while he was operational.

>>30918612

and being a Chad is bad... why?
>>
>>30914952
>A-10 pilots are total bros
I'm not surprised one bit. :)
>>
>>30918625

I was at Ft Bliss for some shit - it's changed to a more career ALO structure now. Most of the lower working level are your ground pounder hooah hooah guys, while the O-5 and up are still the rated.

Next couple of years and it should change for the better.
>>
File: 1425694216454.png (217KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
1425694216454.png
217KB, 680x680px
>>30918625
>>
>>30912766
In the air they are mostly very by the book these days.

The sort of cockiness used to be more common but has been mostly stamped out in the west after a B52 made a crater at fairchild airbase because the pilot was what is now termed a cowboy.

But the joke about how do you know if you uave met a pilot. Dont worry hell tell you.

Is very true. Very cocky and self assured bunch.

Source : am a private pilot and know more then a few RAAF + commercial pilots.

And yes. Whilst I might not man a sky office, I am still fucking awesome.
>>
The worst faggots are the ones that try and give themselves nicknames.

Had one guy transfer to our AFB, introduce himself to the ground crew as "Reaper", somehow, the visible cringe on all our faces wasn't enough to dissuade him, he insisted we called him reaper, even though he flew a fucking Globemaster

However it proved to be hilarious after he was accused of statutory rape while on leave, nothing ever came of it however everyone took to calling him "Raper", upset him so much that he quit the Air Force entirely, he was a shit pilot and an asshole anyway, fuck him.

McGuire AFB always did attract autists for some reason.
>>
>>30918723

callsigns are given to you. advocating for a good callsign is a surefire way to get a shitty one.

there are hostile renamings though - if you do something either stupendously awesome (the dude who dodged 9 SA-2s in the Gulf War obviously became Dodger after that) or (much more likely) if you did something stupendously stupid, you get a new callsign. and no callsign stick until you drop in anger with it.
>>
File: ngbbs56a2e0d0cce02.jpg (121KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
ngbbs56a2e0d0cce02.jpg
121KB, 500x500px
>>30918757
I've been called Tattoo for the best part of 6 years, nobody really knows why and nobody remembers who started it

I don't even have any tattoos
>>
>>30918791
tattoo is also that midget assassin from the old james bond movies, are you short and or french?
>>
>>30918596
kek
>>
>>30918757
>(the dude who dodged 9 SA-2s in the Gulf War obviously became Dodger after that)

Is that the guy in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uh4yMAx2UA
>>
>>30919085

yeah. 6, not 9.
>>
>>30918791
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1nM_KTaztA
>>
>>30919085

damn, that was fucking intense. you can tell the G's are getting to him around 7+ minutes in. that's fucking scary
>>
>>30919127

this is the Tattoo i know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUbxgATL2w8
>>
>>30919243

i know he's knick knack in james bond but he will always be Tattoo for me from Fantasy island.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x_QbVDlLbI

THE PLANE, THE PLANE.
>>
>>30915638
this is lewd anon
>>
>>30918592
Which Detachment anon?
>>
>>30918757
Well no solo wing pixy or mobius 1 for me
>>
>>30915419
Next to alphabet guys Kiowa guys were thr fucking worse in Afghanistan
>>
>>30913018
>You will sit through multi hour debriefs listing every single thing you fucked away and how to do it better next time
Truth. People don't realize that a 1.5 hour sortie can have a 12+ hour debrief. F-15Cs are notorious for it. They will run through the tapes and listen to every single radio call made and determine if it could have been made better. Then they will go through the hud tapes of every singe person in the flight to get their perspective. It isn't uncommon for debriefs to postpone until the next day for crew rest, then be in the debrief for the whole next day. Those guys are crazy.
>Guys that excel are the consummate professionals that realize that they need to constantly strive for improvement.
I think the USAF Fighter Weapons School goes by "Humble, knowledgeable, approachable." Those guys have a completely different mentality after graduating than they did before. These are seasons pilots who are already instructors in their respective aircraft. Some of the stories I hear are crazy.
>>
>>30913067
Dude, please keep in mind that these videos are always made by the guys in the T-1 (heavy track) because they have time to do dumb shit like this. All the guys in T-38s stay pretty far from the shit. Even in the first minute of the video you can see the faggot has a T-1 poster in his room lol
>>
>>30919536

you could be Mobius 1, actually. in fighter squadrons, a flight shares a callsign, and they're all 11 through 14 ("one one", not "eleven") (or 21 or 31). it's based on what the flight lead of that formation is that day, so if it's available in your squadron and you get your 2-ship Flight Lead Upgrade or 4-Ship Flight Lead Upgrade one day you can be Mobius 1

>>30919563

normally people don't have time for that much learning. super in-depth debriefs are for WIC and upgrade (Instructor or 2/4-FLUG) sorties
>>
>>30914952
Just went through SERE with a group of fighter pilots. We got along great with our instructor (then the next instructor because our guy nearly chopped his leg off with an axe lol, sure you heard about it.) Maybe your experience was different but we all really appreciated the work you guys do.
>>
>>30919577

haha yeah, the T-38 dudes filmed themselves putting on their helmets, a lag roll, a rejoin, and a full-AB takeoff. that's probably one day's worth.
>>
>>30919612

the weight comes back pretty quick.

did you have jalepeno or huckleberry beer? did you get to light a fire?
>>
>>30919634
Guarantee them putting their helmets on was the only part that they actually made, the rest was stock footage that is used in every drop video ever. Watch a few more drop videos and you'll see the same stock footage every time lol
>>
>>30919669

i'd believe it. ain't nobody got time for a gopro. how's your corn making skills?

i only flew the -38 at IFF at CBM. clonked myself in the nugget more than a few times dropping the canopy.
>>
>>30919655
We didn't have beer out there. Made some small fires but had to cover it with a parachute for fire regs I guess. Did smoke a bit though because our dude was cool with it. Honestly had a decent time out in the field, our instructor was cool.

Also, are you guys required to say the same jokes to every group? We got that feeling after talking to a bunch of the other groups haha

>>30919689
I'm at RND for IFF currently. Not been here for long but the squadron seems fucking awesome.
I pride myself in my corn making skills. LPA strong
>>
>>30919712

i'm not a SERE dude, bro. i went to that place downtown Spokane with all the beer flavors. a cold beer, a hot shower, real food, and a dump made my day after getting out of the woods. and it took me 2-3 weeks to get to my pre-SERE weight

there a instructor there named Strip(e)? good guy
>>
>>30919751
idk if I went to that place. Went to what I guess is called the "bermuda triangle" which is the globe, revolver, and fast eddies and had a great time. Spokane was surprisingly fun. Decided to rent a car and go to seattle between SERE being over and going to water survival, had way less of a fun time there.

Getting back from the woods was fucking awesome though. I didn't even leave my room that night except to go to that tiny shop at the inn for beer and then picking up my pizza from the lobby. Ended up only eating 2 slices and drinking 2 beers before passing out
>>
>>30919848

Strip(e) being a new-ish dude at RND, i should say.

yeah i loves Spokane. Pensacola Water Survival was a blast, too bad you missed out on that. me and a bunch of bros went out, but after all that time in the woods we couldn't push it up much.
>>
>>30916935

Last time I saw a video of someone do a fucking carrier fly by in a jet their goddamn plane imploded as it broke the sound barrier
>>
>>30919886
I'm brand new here so only know have met a few of the IFF instructors. Everyone I've met so far has been super approachable and you can tell there is a sincere desire in all of them to train new fighter pilots to be combat wingmen and bros in the squadron. It's a pretty nice change from UPT. IDK Strip(e) yet but I assume I'll see him around soon. What did he fly before?
>>
>>30920027

E models. and yeah, that's pretty consistent with what i found in B-course. there's a seat for you in something pointy nose (or a big gun in the nose), and now you just gotta learn "Lose sight, lose fight", "Maneuver in relation to the bandit", and "Trade energy for nose position wisely", plus how not to kill yourself in a coffin corner at the range, etc.

and how to make corn and coffee and how to play crud and 4 5 what and...
>>
>>30920510
That's awesome. I'm going to E models as well and all the dudes from that community seem pretty awesome. What are you in now?
>>
>>30920563

haha, i graduated from the B-course not long ago. just being a bro in the squadron. trust your WSO - the jet is the only crew fighter out there that the AF flies. the WSO will take care of you and make your life easier - no radio changes, no setting up approaches, air-to-ground turns into "hit the pickle button" (minus CDIPs and strafe), the WSO is a safety observer and can recover the jet. that requires coordination between you two, though. you need to trust him/her to run your checklists in EPs, you need to not keep secrets in your jet. and when you fly with your student WSO - you two are both trying to pass the course. don't dime each other out.

study hard, know your ops limits, be humble, there's no boldface but there's non-boldface boldface, and never pass an opportunity to shut up.
>>
My father had the call sign Bandit when he was in the USAF. I haven't gotten around to asking him how he got it yet.

How do you guys think he got it?
>>
>>30920752

Bad-Ass Negro Doing Independent Things

or he looked like the dude in Smokey and the Bandit

or he screwed up royally one time with Bandits (bad guys you can't shoot yet)
>>
>>30920624
Thanks man. I'm pretty psyched about having a WSO with me, all the WSOs I've met so far are really solid dudes (sts.) Gonna be a good time I'm sure.
>>
>>30914952
Who all gets to go through SERE?

If, say, a 62E wanted to do SERE, could he?
>>
>>30920773
>or he looked like the dude in Smokey and the Bandit

Given how he looked in the 80s with a mustache, that's probably it.
>>
>>30915649
I looked into buying that book and it was like 500USD.
>>
>>30920795

aircrew, battlefield airmen, SERE specialists, and sometimes random physiologists and AFE dudes. you can apply, especially if you can say that you're figuring out a better CSEL or something.
>>
>>30920791

yeah. a word of advice a bro told me when i started was "trust your pilots, they're here for a reason." same thing - these are the best dudes Pensacola makes. they're here for a reason. they don't have the raw airmanship you do since P'cola's flight hours are terrible these days, but they're of the same cloth. do right by them and they'll do right by you.
>>
>>30918298
You will have a better chance to become an aviator through the Navy. The Air Force is much more strict about their pilot selection straight out of undergrad. I know several current student pilots in both services.

Plus AFROTC are dorks in general. You'll literally scream "Airpower!" every single day of your college career.
>>
>>30915719
That's a given for any aviation video. Seriously, 99% of them have terrible music.
>>
>>30916949
I've heard more than one flight instructor refer to high performance GA aircraft as "doctor killers".
>>
>>30917599
There is a legit Super Hornet pilot that has started AMA threads on here before. He seems pretty cool and answers whatever he can without compromising persec/opsec. I haven't seen him in a while though.
>>
>>30917805
Luke AFB?
>>
>>30919563
Any of those stories you could tell?
>>
So what credentials do we have in this thread?

So far I've counted:
F-15E WSO
SERE guy
IFF/Primary/B course students
Assorted AF officer/s

How many iff/upt/primary/whatever students here?
>>
>>30921139
Please no god. What else can you tell me? I really wanted to apply at the academys but then reality set in.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 1296x1944px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1296x1944px
>>30922340

Harrier dude here, although we just got the word we'll be transitioning to the 35 within 18 months.

Mixed feelings, going to be the new hotness, more survivable, lethal, but goddamn if the harrier isn't the most fun you can have with you pants on. Both my skipper and my ops O have done f-16 exchanges and while they say the viper is a nice bit of kit, harrier's still more fun to fly. Going to miss her.
>>
>>30921139
>You'll literally scream "Airpower!" every single day of your college career.
kek
>>
>>30921139
And the navy screams "kill", don't act like your branch isn't just as utterly retarded.
>>
>>30919085

Did he pickle ords around 4:20?
>>
>>30918675

I gotta say I envy you sky folk; I come from a family of pilots, am both near-sided and colorblind and currently dragging myself along into an engineering career while everyone else is flying for their jobs.
>>
>>30919085
>starts at 400 knots and angels 25
>ends at 250 knots and angels 9

jesus
>>
File: 1470102002637.png (12KB, 509x619px) Image search: [Google]
1470102002637.png
12KB, 509x619px
>tfw you are never going to be an aviator because

>A: You already started a completely unrelated career path and can't just throw away the skills you learned

>B: Almost too old to start

>C: Your countries' air force has such a small inventory that being a pilot is more exclusive than a football star

Maybe if a big war kicks off they'll draft neophytes to fly shitty trainers with AIM-9s for cruise missile interception
>>
>>30919085

Sounds like that entire strike was a magnificent clusterfuck https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Package_Q_Strike
>>
>>30923521

>you will never be apart of anything as cool sounding as Package Q

Give me one good reason I shouldn't kill my self right now.
>>
>>30923657
Might as well desu
>>
>tfw ducked into an AF control tower
>tfw watching people fly fighter jets all day wishing you were one of them.

Fuck this, I'm starting classes.
>>
>>30923657

My current reasons:

-- I want to see if the EmDrive is real
-- I want to see the first images from the James Webb Space Telescope
>>
>>30923521
>>30923657

http://www.airforcemag.com/MagazineArchive/Documents/2016/January%202016/0116packageq.pdf

This article has a bit more juicy stuff than the Wiki.
>>
One of the AFJROTC instructors back in high school was a Lancer pilot.

Guy was a total cock master, he tried to confiscate my DSLR after I caught a few of his autistic cadets PTing in the frame when I panned across the track to catch my dorky jigaboo buddy running full speed doing his impersonation of dave chapelle with a wireless mic
>>
>>30923170

east or west coast?
>>
>>30927333

West
>>
>>30928136

god that thing looks tiny.

thanks for sharing W-122 and 72 with us.
>>
>>30918330
>has this smoking hot, smart and loyal GF that he constantly cheats on, he even defrauds the city by rigging up an electrical and gas bypass around his meters
Is he a gypsy?
Thread posts: 238
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.