[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My country recently purchased some Saab Gripens (JAS 39C/D) to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 8

File: 1470632360354~01.jpg (268KB, 1332x972px) Image search: [Google]
1470632360354~01.jpg
268KB, 1332x972px
My country recently purchased some Saab Gripens (JAS 39C/D) to help phase out our aging F-16As.

What can we expect in the way of air superiority?

We just need to dominate Myanmar.

Their mainstays are the MiG-29B and J-7 (F-7M).
>>
>>30911091
that sounds expensive

you'd probably win

but still
>gripens
>>
>>30911091
The biggest threat they'll be facing is the JF-17 Myanmar is looking to acquire. It might be overkill and maybe too expensive. But I guess that's the price you pay. Air superiority ain't cheap
>>
>>30911091
Any pic of Jas-39 flying side by side with T-50?

>the thais are shilling this shit hard on its southern neighbor
>>
>>30911091
MiG-29Bs and J-7s? The Gripen is superior. Depends a lot on the support structures, upgrades, training and what weapons you go for, but Myanmar probably doesnt have shit.
>>
>>30911091
What country?
>>
>>30912250
Netherlands
>>
>>30912379
lol.

>>30911091
Jas 39 is great for a cunt with a limited budget.

The purchase price might not be so much less than others but it needs a much smaller support structure to be effective as that was part of its design.

This also gives it a low cost per flighthour = more training for pilots.
>>
With the new MS 20 software introduced a few months back it can carry Meteors so buy a few of those and your enemys will be toast.
>>
>>30912379
im a geography and i can tell you with outmost certainty that is a netherlandian flag
>>
>>30912415

Its a Thai flag retard. Everyone knows this
>>
>>30911091
>My country recently purchased some Saab Gripens (JAS 39C/D) to help phase out our aging F-16As.

where in thailand do you live?
>>
>>30912415
>im a geography
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>30911120
What's wrong with the Gripen ?
>>
>>30912473
>What's wrong with the Gripen ?

Where the C/Ds are concerned, low payload, minimal avionics, no low-observable characteristics.
>>
>>30912473

Its not a F-22 or F-35 and this upsets som retards..
>>
File: gripen.webm (3MB, 1098x618px) Image search: [Google]
gripen.webm
3MB, 1098x618px
Got nothing technical to contribute but have these 2 neat webms
>>
>>30912471
>this
What did he mean by this?
>>
File: JAS.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
JAS.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>30912517
>>
>>30911091
>My country recently purchased some Saab Gripens
oh god you are so fucked
lol
>>
>>30912521
How would Singaporean air force fare against the Indonesians ?
>>
This is just an airshow demo, the Gripen seems a bit... sluggish in this performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr9rGlqrsSI

But then, I'm spoiled watching the F-22's ridiculously responsive flight surfaces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kPI1uEV8FU
>>
File: jealousy.jpg (347KB, 728x2133px) Image search: [Google]
jealousy.jpg
347KB, 728x2133px
>>30912473
Nothing is wrong with Gripen. There's just a bit of rivalry going on with fighter jet sales, a lot of money and prestige involved.
>>
>>30912489
Ill give you payload and stealth but the avionics isnt bad.
>>
>>30912565
Gripen pilots tend to take it slow and easy on airshows.
The Gripen airshow history has some major fuckups and no pilot dares to even risk being the third who fucks up.
>>
>>30912662
There's only been one crash during an exhibition afaik, and that wasn't an airshow and it was 3 years before the aircraft hit active duty.
>>
>>30912714

This. Two aircraft crashed during trials in the early 90s to.
>>
>>30912722
Several aircraft has crashed, but that goes for pretty much all fighter jets in existance. In fact, going by fewest pilots killed, Gripen is probably the safest plane out there.
>>
>>30912722
>>30912714
Airshows or not, there was a ton of public spectators and cameras managed to capture both incidents. The accidents where fairly minor with no loss of life but critics has used those two accidents for the last 20 years to criticize the whole Gripen project as a total failure.
>>
>>30912751
>>30912758

This. If the media wouldnt have been there the general opinion would have been much better.
>>
>>30912469
Chumphon but I drive up to the capital every now and then. Just a 6-7 hour drive.
>>
>>30911091
>tfw Gripen will be the last of the SAAB fighters
It was a good run but it still causes me some feels.
>>
>>30912819
Is that a good thing?

I always join bike convoi across the border to Krabi and/or Pattaya. Only way you can find qt russian/serbian/ukranian slut for cheap
>>
>>30912830
Probably not. The company will probably make their EW, UCAV and/or carrier versions and by that time, there will be a need for a new plane.
>>
upgrading your feelt of f16 would be enough to deal with mig29, chink copies of mig 21 and their sole mig19 copy. they dont even have awacs so you are set with your two eireyes
>>
>>30912819
>>30912819
>Chumphon

where is that and why are you there??
>>
>>30912830
What about the 2020 concept, or did that get axed?
>>
>>30912902
Given that they where F-16As, they probably had their fair share of hours on the airframes.
IIRC they got a fairly good deal on the Gripens. What better way to show up to those Myanmar faggots than to buy a special snowflake IKEA planes? Only have worthless commie junk.
>>
>>30912925
It's in the South. I work there.
>>
>>30912950

oh cool

must be nice
>>
>>30912936
The FS 2020 is currently something that the airforce and SAAB doodles on a napkin while drowning their sorrows in a cheap bar.
The last two governments has proclaimed national defense as a "special interest" not particurlarly important for the nation as a whole.
That is why SAAB has been talking to turkroaches and HUEHUEs, shitty as they might be, they understand the reality of this world.
>>
>>30912596
Maybe people would buy those three if they weren't so retardedly expensive.
>>
>>30912999
>Maybe people would buy those three if they weren't so retardedly expensive.

Typhoon's expensive by virtue of being a joint project, Rafale's expensive by virtue of being French, and the F-35's expensive by virtue of having a multitude of very expensive sensors, low observable materials, and complex manufacturing.
>>
>>30913009
>and the F-35's expensive by virtue of having a multitude of very expensive sensors, low observable materials, and complex manufacturing.

...and being a joint project.
>>
>>30912899
>there will be need for a new plane
What needs to be done and what will be done is two entierly separate things in Sweden.
Why spend billions on a new plane when those billions could be spent teaching feministic sex-ed to gypsies, creating projects to insert gernderqueer theory into islam, buying giant vagina sculptures or chasing after impossible green energy projects?
>>
>>30912950

How is the place?
>>
>>30912990
SAAB has been trying to export stuff for way, way longer than the last two governments... The company is too big and advanced for the small consumer that Sweden is, or even than it was during the cold war, and draconic arms export laws make it difficult.

Just look at Datasaab.
>>
Nothing against the Gripen, its a good plane but why not just buy some F-16Cs?
>>
>>30913053
>Nothing against the Gripen, its a good plane but why not just buy some F-16Cs?

Because the asking price of a new F-16 is 75% of an F-35A.
>>
File: sino-thai gripen vs J-11.jpg (229KB, 901x850px) Image search: [Google]
sino-thai gripen vs J-11.jpg
229KB, 901x850px
Gripen are pretty good, especially in BVR.

Here's an excerpt from the recent Sino-Thai Air Excercise,. where the PLAAF brought some of their older J-11 and original Su-27UBK Flankers piloted with their best men vs. the best of the Thai Airforce equipped with Gripen.

While both sides had their wins and losses, the strength of the Gripen in BVR and avionics vs the analogue Flankers are most noticable.
The MiG-29B isnt any better in terms of radar compared to the Su-27SK.
>>
>>30912539
As an Australian, the Singaporeans would definitely win; they're much smaller, but they have a far more advanced air force than Indonesia.
>>
File: bangkok-city~01.jpg (449KB, 1200x728px) Image search: [Google]
bangkok-city~01.jpg
449KB, 1200x728px
>>30912958
>>30913025
It's alright. I go to the capital more often now though just because there's more to do.
>>
>>30913084

by more to do you mean hookers, right?
>>
>>30913073

>muh BVR

I thought this was proven to be useless due to RoE
>>
>>30913125
>BVR
>myth
Sprey plz go away.
>>
>>30913125
Western RoE sure.
>>
>>30912990
Sad. I bet that the "priorities" for the gubberment are more welfare for shitskins and funding of sjws or some shit.
>>
>>30913268
We'll have to wait and see. The political climate in Sweden is shifting quite drastically. It looks like the nationalists might win the next election and end all the muslim-hugging femigender bullshit.
>>
>>30911091
Could have just bought some F18s. Already buy stuff from USA anyway.
>>
>>30913314
>It looks like the nationalists might win the next election
Depends on your definition of "win", I suppose. They're not going to get their own majority, but they are likely going to be neck to neck with the two large parties (Social Democrats and Moderates) that have traditionally led governments, with no party being able to muster enough support from their own block alone for a majority.
>>
>>30913406
What's the chance of moderates teaming up with SD?
>>
>>30913125
RoE has generally only ever asked for "positive ID". Back in the 60s, that meant eyeballing the target, in the 70s it meant using Combat Tree, although that was limited because the Vietcong figured out what was happening and because it was only accurate to a certain range, in the 80s and 90s it meant using AWACS and radar, although limited tech lead to confusion and delayed engagements. Today it's all about sensor fusion, ISAR, etc which works well at BVR distances.
>>
>>30913430
Since the last election the moderates seem to have abandoned the attempt to shame people away from turning to the nationalists and have instead taken a much harsher stance on immigration in an attempt to stop the bleed of voters. It is not at all unreasonable for them to agree to some form of cooperation with the nationalists.
>>
>>30912999
>Maybe
>F-35 / Typhoon both have export success

Quality is expensive in fighters, champ.
>>
Do you guys have AWACS craft or are you relying on surface systems?

If you have the former, the JAS is more than sufficient.
>>
>>30913530
They have the Saab Erieye for early warning. So i guess it makes even more sense to stick with Saab in that case.
>>
>>30913540
>2 SAAB 340 AEW delivered 2012
>12 Gripens delivered 2011-present

Packaged deal probably. Both were introduced under the same F5 replacement program.
>>
>>30912999

Are you retarded?

The Gripen has a much lower cost per FH and needs a smaller support structure wich is what actually matters.

The last Gripen Cs purchased by SwAF costed about 30 - 60 million USD.

The Gripen E export deal to Brazil was also very cheap if you compare it to other modetn export deals.
>>
>>30913605
I think he was referring to the F-35, the Rafale and the Eurofighter, not Gripen.
>>
>>30913605
>Are you retarded?
Are you?
>>
>>30913605
Wew lad, context is key.
>>
>>30912596
Why is rafale reading the kama sutra?
>mfw
>>
>>30913698
She is jelly because Gripen woos more customers with her plane production skills.
[Spoiler]Gripen is lewd[/spoiler]
>>
>>30913740
Swedes man. They know what they're doing. :^)
>>
>>30912948
Most certainly Sweden has already promised to invest the same amount of money in Thailand that the plane costs.
>>
>>30911091
>What can we expect in the way of air superiority?
Not bad aircraft.

;Medium compleity, less to go wrong, more opportunities to add domestic tech later on without violating the US style agreements the US fighters come with.

No pretenses of stealth so you know where you are.

not dependent on outsiders to maintain ESM suite. Makes for improved sovereignty over own aircrafts.
>>
>>30912471
If you were a geography, wouldn't you tell the world?
>>
File: d003.jpg (235KB, 728x2031px) Image search: [Google]
d003.jpg
235KB, 728x2031px
Gripen a lewd
>>
>>30915486
Not really. From European point of view the US is rather uptight in spite of being one of the biggest exporters of pr0n in the world.

As for the French we all know they sneak out at night, riding a scooter to their mistresses which they also ride.
>>
>>30915525
But what about the Swedish Sin?
>>
>>30915984
Well, what about it? Artificial insemination never caught on so the Swedes prefer the normal way, unsurprisingly.
>>
>>30913073
The Chinks fucking suck. Before getting beaten by Thailand with Gripens, they got literally raped by Turkey with F-4's.
>>
Anyone whos done VACR knows you call it the gripen cause its gripen a turd.
>>
>>30916333
>Anyone whos done
AKA call to authority.
Try again.
>>
>>30916333
>Visual Aircraft Recognition
>gripen a turd
Did you get an aneurysm while trying to make a pun?
>>
>>30912490
Or a Rafale, or a Typhoon, or a F-15E / F-15SE, or a Su-27SM3, or a JAS 39 E/F...

There is nothing wrong with the Gripen itself, but its C/D models are not up to date inside even the world of 4 gen+ fighters. All of the claims a Gripen would match favorably against a newer Flanker in BVR combat are based on the Gripen NG or later E/F models. The PS-05/A Mark 4 is a less powerful radar then a Irbis-E, the engagement ranges are base on the Gripens using the Raven ES-05 AESA. I do not know how the PS-05/A Mark 5 ( which is a AESA) that came out about a year ago does against a Irbis-E.
>>
>>30913698
US=soft drinks, France=sex, UK(+)=cake? I presume they blanked on Sweden.
>>
MiG-29s are god-tier in the merge, especially when paired with archers, but as a warfighting plane it isn't very great. Really high pilot workout which doesn't work well with a country that gives their fighter pilots such little flight hours, plus their BVR capabilities, low range, and reliance on GCI doesn't help. J-7 is inferior to both Gripens and MiG-29s. Your country will be fine.
>>
File: russianengines.png (193KB, 623x469px) Image search: [Google]
russianengines.png
193KB, 623x469px
>>30912539
Singapore would stomp.
>>
Thailand :
30 F-5E
53 F-16
8 Gripen C
19 Alpha jet
2 Saab 340 AEW&C
4 KAI T-50 coming

Myanmar :
20 MiG-29B
6 MiG-29SE
6 MiG-29UB
21 Q-5
24 J-7
16 JF-17 coming

First off, Thailand has AEW&C aircraft, unlike Myanmar. Provided they're used competently and their low number don't prevent them from being in the air to provide coverage, they can be used as a force multiplier and make their fighters more effective.
They also have 61 4th gen fighters vs 42 for Myanmar when they get their JF-17. Until then, they have to rely on 26 upgraded MiG-29 (the UB variant is a trainer, and isn't fitted with a radar unless they upgraded them to make them useful in combat).
Each countries older fighters (F-5E or J-7) supplement their 4th gen fighters and are heavily upgraded (better radars, avionics, weapons) that make them more relevant today, but they're not as capable as the rest of the fighters and won't turn the tide.

I didn't put that much time into it, but from what I've quickly read Thailand's air force seems clearly superior to Myanmar's but I don't know if they have a big advantage or a really small one.
>>
>>30917418
No, it isn't, as the Gripen E does not exist yet. Take your bullshit somewhere else, the C/D version are still up to date.
>>
>>30917418
>F-15SE
Nothing to call home about. Let me know, once they actually start selling F-15AE
>SU-27
Because Russia is such readable and trustworthy business partner. Enjoy maintaining that shit with 3D printers, once Russia cuts the support, because you became too friendly with Murica.
>>
>>30913014
And being Murican.
>>
>>30913450
In the 90s what teally limited BVR was that most A2A was in a friendly-rich environment, so ROE were significantly tighter than they would be in a symmetric war-for example, chances are that the unidentified aircraft flying your way is a friendly with malfunctioning IFF, not an enemy.
>>
>>30916291
Nice troll.

Except the Thai pilots admitted that the Chinese pilots were better than the best western pilots that they trained with. And Thailand is a key ally of the US in the region.

And what about "evaluating the other side's fghters" do you not understand? They didnt came there for winning, but for gathering intelligence.

If they were dumb Americans who only wanted to show off to their hosts, they would have come with J-11Bs and J-10Bs equipped with AESA radars and PL-15 super long range missiles that would have massacred the poor little Gripens. Or even with the Su-30MKKs they would have raped the adversary just like they did with the Japanese F-15Js some weeks before, when the Japs thought that they could scare them away by locking radar on them and firing warning shots.

But that would have been a intelligence fallout on their side.
>>
>>30923541
A plane can be out of date without having a newer model you dingleberry
>>
>>30912596
Wait. who makes these comics?
>>
>>30923696
>China's best pilots are better than the best US pilots Thailand has trained with
>US just sends normal active duty squadrons while China sends its best fuccbois
>Commander Ling Wong is better than 2nd Lt. Fuckstick

God I hope so, PLAAF would be a bigger joke if their best were worse than our average.
Thread posts: 98
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.