[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hobbyist gunsmithing is dead?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8

File: 1454404152544.png (1MB, 1247x748px) Image search: [Google]
1454404152544.png
1MB, 1247x748px
Last week Obama passed an executive order that redefines gunsmithing -- nearly any kind of modification to a firearm -- as firearm manufacturing.

From what I can tell, this that nearly all modifications done to a weapon and even producing one ITAR item now means you can be considered in business rather than hobbyist.

> http://pmddtc.state.gov/compliance/Applicability%20of%20the%20ITAR%20Registration%20Requirement%20to%20Firearms%20Manufacturers%20(Publish).pdf

>NRA statement
>https://www.nraila.org/articles/20160727/just-in-time-for-his-party-s-convention-obama-administration-releases-latest-executive-gun-control

Sorry if you guys already talked about this last week I've been out. I'm also not the most knowledgeable about this, so curious if other kommandos can shed some light about what this means.
>>
and I shall ignore and do whatever I want
>>
>>30799051
So is turning an 80% into 100% illegal without a gunsmithing registration according to this?
>>
>>30799112

I think 80% receivers are exactly what this is targeting. Your gun smith has to pay the tax to do it legally as far as I can tell.
>>
>>30799146
It also outlaws things like threading barrels without registration, which is probably done to prevent people making their own threaded barrels/bayonet lugs/muzzle devices/etc. during AssSalt Wepuns Ban 2: Electric Boogaloo
>>
>making an item for personal use now means you're a business
>this will totally hold up in court
>>
>>30799051
thanks obongo

wouldn't want to pass down the family tradition or anything, that would be so scandalous, wouldn't it?
>>
Registration Required

Manufacturing:
In response to questions from persons engaged
in the business of gunsmithing, DDTC has found in specific cases that
ITAR
registration is
required
because the following activities meet the ordinary, contemporary, common
meaning of “manufacturing” and, therefore, constitute “manufacturing” for ITAR purposes
:
a)
Use of any special tooling or equipment upgrading in order to improv
e the capability
of assembled or repaired firearms;
b)
Modifications to a firearm that change round capacity;
c)
The production of firearm parts (including, but not limited to, barrels, stocks,
cylinders, breech mechanisms, triggers, silencers, or suppresso
rs);
d)
The systemized production of ammunition, including the automated loading or
reloading of ammunition;
e)
The machining or cutting of firearms, e.g., threading of muzzles or muzzle brake
installation requiring machining, that results in an enhanced capa
bility;
f)
Rechambering firearms through machining, cutting, or drilling;
g)
Chambering, cutting, or threading barrel blanks; and
h)
Blueprinting firearms by machining the barrel.
Motherfuckers, this is all in preparation for another AWB so people can't legally make their own parts.
>>
>>30799089

This, how could this possibly be enforced?

>Officer Fatgut, I think I hear a drill press coming from that garage! Bake 'em away, toys!
>>
This only applies to actual gunsmiths doing work for other people, not someone doing work on their own guns for their own use.
>>
>>30799249
+1

No one read the article apparently.
This just means the death of 01 FFLs that also do things like threading barrels and truing receivers.
This will see a surge in 07 SOT FFLs, which can make much more fun things like MGs and DDs
>unintended consequences

This doesnt apply to me or you since we do not meet the pre-req of 'engaging in the business of' doing shit with guns.
>>
>>30799249
>The AECA/ITAR require anybody who engages in the business of “manufacturing” a defense article to register with DDTC and pay a registration fee that for new applicants is currently $2,250 per year. These requirements apply, even if the business does not, and does not intend to, export any defense article.
You're a business regardless of whether you actually do any business or not.
>>
>>30799278
Not according to USC 921 definitions you tard.
>>
>>30799051
>>NRA statement
>>https://www.nraila.org/articles/20160727/just-in-time-for-his-party-s-convention-obama-administration-releases-latest-executive-gun-control

After reading this article this is going to drive the smallest gunsmiths out of business if they have a rough year or are just starting up. Hobbyists won't have a chance to make a business with a bootstrap.

This looks like it's aimed at people trying to 3d print parts they could of made with hand tools, and big name manufacturers not wanting competition.

Honestly I wouldn't buy a big name manufacturers weapon after this unless it was second hand.
>>
File: 1469743863570.gif (867KB, 480x336px) Image search: [Google]
1469743863570.gif
867KB, 480x336px
>>30799278
>I'm a massive fucking retard that can't read
>>
>>30799278
can't even glass bed and cork your Mosin Nagant now. Because that would make you a manufacturer and require you to pay $2250 to the state department.
>>
>>30799285
>>30799288
>These requirements apply, even if the business does not, and does not intend to, export any defense article.
>>
File: 1464042278134.jpg (69KB, 498x482px) Image search: [Google]
1464042278134.jpg
69KB, 498x482px
>>30799291
That's not what it says at all.

>>30799295
>I'm still a massive fucking retard that can't read

Please tell me how making something for your own personal use with no intent to sell TO ANYONE makes you a business.
>>
>>30799295
>even if the business does not,
>even if the business
>the business
YOU HAVE TO BE A BUSINESS.

>(21) The term “engaged in the business” means—
>(A) as applied to a manufacturer of firearms, a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to manufacturing firearms ****as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit**** through the sale or distribution of the firearms manufactured;

Bedding your own Mosin or building an AK kit a business does not make.

LEARN TO READ
>>
>>30799309
that is exactly what it says.

you can't alter a weapon to make it better with out violating this.
>>
>>30799295

This.

This is what people are missing. While it is mostly unenforceable for garage gun smiths it is put in there to fuck them if they need to.
>>
>>30799295
>>30799318

Completing an 80% lower in your private shop, on your private machines, for your private use does not make you a business you idiot.
>>
>>30799324
We're not missing anything. It only applies if you are in the BUSINESS of gunsmithing. Doing work on your personal guns for your own use DOES NOT PUT YOU IN THE BUSINESS of gunsmithing therefore YOU DO NOT FALL UNDER LAWS THAT AFFECT BUSINESSES.
>>
File: goat.jpg (216KB, 910x1365px) Image search: [Google]
goat.jpg
216KB, 910x1365px
>>30799051

>mfw own Single Action Army
>mfw 5 to 6 accurate shots of 45 Colt is plenty but anons insist on being fat/tacticool and raging against government dad
>>
File: ayd.png (475KB, 680x567px) Image search: [Google]
ayd.png
475KB, 680x567px
>>30799287
Of course, all my firearms are owned and manufactured in and by American companies. So I'm probably in a minority here.
>>
>>30799351

Ocelot, is that you?
>>
>>30799278
look up the defination of "manufacturing". any time you see a word in quotes, it behooves you to check into the definition. you are likely off the hook.

t. registered exporter
>>
>>30799351
(You)
>>
File: Russian Humanitarian Aid.jpg (29KB, 599x453px) Image search: [Google]
Russian Humanitarian Aid.jpg
29KB, 599x453px
>>30799309
>Please tell me how making something for your own personal use with no intent to sell TO ANYONE makes you a business.
Why does having an open bolt gun with no intent to convert make it a machine gun?
Why would certain ammo be banned on the grounds of being armor-piercing pistol ammo when it's neither pistol ammo nor armor-piercing?
Why do senators get exemptions from closed registries so they can pad their reelection fund?
Because ATF, nothing they do or say has to make sense because until they really piss off Congress/POTUS, they can do anything they damn please since words only exist to be re-defined

And the administration that put this out is also the one that said selling a single firearm could be enough to make you "a business", so I don't trust them whatsoever to not fuck everything up.
>>
>>30799389
also, same guy here.

the employees at state are overworked and understaffed and will generally help you if you ask. there is an email address on their website. also look up recent ITAR enforcement cases. it is universally faggots trying to sell magazines ro the cartels or big companies selling military hardware to the chinese and lying about it.

they dont care about your free float rifle barrel. you arent that important.
>>
>>30799372
perfect gun is perfect.

>>30799392
(Us)
>>
>>30799051
The action says "in the buisiness" of all over it.

Basically, you have to register if you're a fucking practicing professional gunsmith...not if you're a bumblefuck faggot that uses his dad's drill press to mill out lowers.
>>
>DDTC has found that many traditional gunsmithing activities do not constitute manufacturing for ITAR purposes and, therefore, do not require registration under the ITAR, particularly where such activities do not require cutting, drilling, or machining and do not improve the accuracy, caliber, or operation of the ITAR-controlled firearm beyond its original capabilities.
>>
>>30799208
>>this will totally hold up in court
The niggers on scotus have gladly made worse rulings before.
Granted, interstate commerce for firearms is effectively illegal, but that won't stop them from continuing to abuse and bastardize the commerce clause.
>>
>>30799249
So if you want to get your trigger polished, the gunsmith is 'manufacturing a firearm" ??
>>
>>30799351
what do you think about engravings?
>>
File: machine1.jpg (56KB, 549x370px) Image search: [Google]
machine1.jpg
56KB, 549x370px
>>30799089
Exactly this. I'm a somewhat mentally stable tax paying private citizen I'll do what I want. When the assholes at top start following the laws the see fit to impose on me I'll do the same . Until then "get off my lawn"!
>>
>>30799309
Because they say so.
>>30799311
>>30799325
For fucks sake guys. I want to believe what you're saying, but if you can still be considered a business without actually having intent to conduct any business whatsoever, then they can use that as a blanket term to refer to anyone who may be "manufacturing" for personal use as well.
>>
File: coco.jpg (20KB, 570x309px) Image search: [Google]
coco.jpg
20KB, 570x309px
>>30799445
Is this going to become a thread about American firearms

10mm?

that's dangerous
>>
>>30800557
"no"
>>
>>30799051
>by 80% lowers
>make gun
>atf trys to take gun
Prove I didint make this gun 2 years ago
>>
>>30800502
Equivalent of a face tattoo.
>>
>>30800594
9mm are weapons of war no gun smith in their right mind should work on heirlooms

Any caliber that size should be low capacity and it should only come from a factory that exports it to a third world country for the parts.
>>
>>30799428
t. ATF
>>
>>30799351
You're pretty good.
>>
>>30799051
>Obama passes yet another executive order about the 2nd amendment

Shit I didn't ever hear about this one, I can imagine that 99% of Americans who comprehend what he did are against it.

There's not even compromises here, just arbitrarily banning things using existing unconstutional statutes with no communication.
This is not how fucking executive orders where meant to be used.
>>
>>30800557
you would need a quid pro quo for it to be a business transaction.
>>
so which one of us gets to be the test case?
>>
>>30800805
You're right, they give you no tactical advantage.

Except maybe at an auction house...
>>
>>30799351
You're pretty good
>>
So Obama is attacking gunsmiths because apparently criminals take their guns into legitimate businesses to get them illegally modified?
Is that what hes trying to say?
>>
>>30800863
yeah "but never passed gun control. not like mittens did".
>>
Is this going to hurt royalnunsuch?!
>>
>>30801790
it doesn't matter what he's trying to say as long as he hurts innoccent americans in the name of protecting globalist-driven Wahabbism
>>
ITT people who don't know what "in the business of" means
>>
>>30799089
This is how Obama operates.

Issue a completely toothless executive order that people will just ignore, go and brag to your libtard friends about how you did all of this stuff.

Liberals are literally cancer, they think fucking with government regulations is a valid political strategy.
>>
>>30800747
lol
>is this your credit card statement
>where is this Lower Wall Art installation you purchased from amazon 2 weeks ago.
>>
>>30804204
I threw it away because I saw a commercial from Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America and I realized that guns are evil, so I smashed it with a sledgehammer and thew it away.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.