[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lines of Communication

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: m1a1-980120-A-0000K-002.jpg (69KB, 1025x524px) Image search: [Google]
m1a1-980120-A-0000K-002.jpg
69KB, 1025x524px
During WW2, in the battle of France, Rommel's 7th Panzer "Ghost Division" moved so fast even the Germans themselves had a hard time tracking where they were, to the point that they had to give a direct order to Rommel to STOP.

During the invasion of Iraq, even the modern US army encountered this problem, VII Corps were ordered to stop at different eastings to track their progress. This lead to a delay of 2 days and the loss of the element of surprised in their flanking maneuver.

In either scenario, what would have happened if the high command gave no two shits and said "if you think you can reach the sea by nightfall do it" and gave the order to attack as fast and as far as their logistics could keep up with them?
>>
The difference is Rommel literally lead from the front on a tank.

VII Corps didnt have the same luxury of having general Franks directly at the front to make assessments and decisions
>>
>things which didn't happen
>>
>>30798242
Isn't Iraq landlocked though?

Anyways. Iraqi army broke badly and quickly, so it probably would've worked out ok. Casualties might have been a bit higher in the overextended push than they would have been otherwise.
>>
>>30798342
They have a very small coastal area down by Kuwait I thought.
>>
>>30798342
Basra is a port. Ports do not exist in landlocked states.
>>
>>30800350

Basra is not a deep-water port though.

I mean, you're right, kinda, but Umm-Qasr is the shipping port, Basra is not on the sea.
>>
>>30798242
>>
>>30798242
The US had to stop in Iraq for logistics elements to catch up with the armor.

Also, it's very hard to organize your logistical structure where you don't know where the hell you're sending the supplies.
>>
>>30800836
/thread
>>
>>30798342
They have like 30km of coastline. The British partition to create Kuwait really fucked them over.
>>
>>30800778
Rommel blitzed so fast even the Wehrmacht couldn't keep up. That, ladies and ladies, is a fucking blitz.
>>
>>30800836
I find myself wondering if they ever thought of creating bounding supply point pairs or triplets, so that at least one element is static while the others trail the blitz and stops for refuels and when they reache the next bounding point.
>>
>>30801682
>>30800778
In Africa, German Tankers asked Rommel "Where will we get our Gasoline?"

Rommel said "there!" pointing toward the British, implying they would take their supplies from the enemy. Which they did.
>>
>>30802169
Ah, the art of war, a classic.
>>
>>30798242

>Tanks has a mileage of <1 mile to the gallon
>Think it is a good idea to outrun your supply lines

What?
>>
>>30802193
Nope. His 'strategy' or rather, tactics, depends on the best case scenarios and shock. Once he was up against Monty who won't take his bait, he was doomed.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.