[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Landmines

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: 220px-VS50.jpg (28KB, 220x301px) Image search: [Google]
220px-VS50.jpg
28KB, 220x301px
So I guess these are technically not in use anymore by most military's but surely the US didn't just dispose of all of them. Is there some anti-personnel landmine stockpile somewhere in the US? Has anyone ever planted them?
>>
Of course they'd dispose of them.

Why waste time, money and space keeping them around.
>>
Reactive range targets for the grunts.
>>
File: 1439154011625.jpg (255KB, 1280x979px) Image search: [Google]
1439154011625.jpg
255KB, 1280x979px
>>30792277
Storing explosives is extremely costy and even a little bit unsafe. Seriously doubt many would keep them around if they have been removed from use.

Russia is probably an exception
>>
>>30792288
for the same reason we keep biological and chemical weapons in stock

because they're effective
>>
>invicta

lol
>>
>>30792357
Except we don't do that
>>
>>30792357
They're not kept in stock.

The only reason they exist in US arsenals is that they're going through the process of destruction.
>>
File: 1444941489490.jpg (155KB, 800x739px) Image search: [Google]
1444941489490.jpg
155KB, 800x739px
>>30792357
They are not that effective either.

Effective weapon kills the target in a short timeframe and nothing else.

Biological and Chemical weapons have trouble doing both.
>>
what about claymores?
>>
>>30792357
>for the same reason we keep biological and chemical weapons in stock

You don't know too much about what you're talking about, huh.
>>
>>30792412
>war with China finally goes down
>only shock and awe that would work on a nation with Russian everything is an acceptable casualty tactics
>VX in Beijing
>mass mutilation
>Nukes would be too humane
>Our stockpile of VX deployed would just be brutality
>>
Former EOD tech here.

Most have been destroyed. Some models are still used in training, including claymores. Sometimes we would get called out to one that turned up inna woods.
>>
>>30792441
ok you're right. its just for purely defensive research purposes. uncle sam wouldn't lie.
>>
>>30792277
We sold them to ISIS ._.
>>
>>30792519
>If I say the facts are lies then I MUST be right!
>>
>>30792430
>what about claymores?

Not really a land mine in the sense that they require positive input to fire.
>>
File: 1433644551452.jpg (345KB, 588x766px) Image search: [Google]
1433644551452.jpg
345KB, 588x766px
>>30792430
Claymores are outside it because it can be set to be used on remote detonation.

Same goes for "intelligent" cluster bombs, where some of the bombs become mines. It's not primarily a mine so its fine. Makes whole lotta sense right? Thats what you get when these laws and regulations are made by people who don't know shit (mainly people in politics).
>>
We would have completely secured afghanistan within a year or two if the US had been permitted to use them as they are intended.
>>
>>30792793
so my favorite anti personal mine is safe then?
>>
>>30792753
It's still a landmine.
>>
>>30792807
How do you figure? There are literally thousands of foreign mines and IEDs littering Afghanistan already.
>>
>>30792277
During the battle of Tora Bora, in Afghanistan, a Delta Force wanted to airdrop land mines into the valleys leading to Pakistan. The whitehouse denied that request.

We've still got stockpiles of them if they're available for airdrop at a moments notice.
>>
File: 1429404296362.gif (2MB, 300x189px) Image search: [Google]
1429404296362.gif
2MB, 300x189px
>>30792827
The treaty is made to lessen the amount of explosives in the world that can harm civilians by being triggered by for example walking over them.

Hence all land mines that are put to the ground and self-detonate when triggered are a part of the treaty.

They bend the rules of Claymore by the remote detonation option, Anti-Tank mines are also still not a part since in theory they require more pressure to activate.

And last but least, as I mentioned in >>30792793, Cluster bombs that leave mines or dangerous duds are not a part of the treaty since obviously they pose less threat to civilians than marked and mapped minefields.

>>30792822
Yes.
>>
>>30792852
Yeah, even though they've been banned for traditional deployment, they are still routinely dropped along the Korean DMZ by joint South Korea/US forces. Elsewhere in Asia, Japan and China also keep stockpiles in case they want to mine their respective shores to prevent or delay an invasion.
>>
>>30792873
Politically, it may not be a landmine. But in military publications, it is.
>>
>>30792894
Yep. Went to Ecuador a few years back, people there said the jungle border with Peru is full of them. Guess they fought each other in the recent past.
>>
>>30792586
im old enough to have a healthy skepticism about what my government says its doing
>>
>>30793037
You're old enough to be a conspiritard who will think something is false just because THE MEDIA said it happened.
>>
>>30792277

Yeah we do, the Volcano system is used and trained on by every combat engineer unit for a near peer fight. Pretty sure all the TMs are unclassified so you can just look it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kN3WxXTie0
>>
>>30793080
true. i dont believe "the media" either. when you get a little older, you'll understand. get your info from many sources because the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
>>
>>30792846
you can manipulate the battlefield in concrete and easy ways
makes everything far more predictable
presents the ability to heard insurgent movements into areas or directions desirable
could have easily shut down the pakistan border
very easy to deploy
very easy to shut down giant areas of land
>>
>>30793665
I understand how area denial works, but the only thing I can see it doing is securing the Pakistan border. Other than that, they wouldn't do anything that the other mines aren't already doing.
>>
>>30793779
'other mines' are useless to US strategy
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.