[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Walther grip rust?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

I keep my Walther in a small carry lockbox for when I travel. Until recently, there was some light powdery rust on top of the metal parts of the grips. I took some 0000 steel wool and got that nasty off and oiled it back up. I take care of it regularly, but sometime between when I last took a long trip (Approx two weeks) on the road, the rust showed up. I honestly don't remember if it was like it before, but I don't remember this much lack of bluing around the grips. The pistol is from like the early 60's.

Any better way to get the deeper rust out of here?
>>
BLAST IT WITH PISS
>>
>>30785669
A weak ammonia bath should do the trick.

The key is to make sure to keep it around 96-99 degrees.
>>
>>30785690
I'm unfamiliar with this. Googling "Ammonia bath gun rust" doesn't help me out. Mind explaining?
>>
>>30785695
It's one of those old techniques that old farts don't bother posting about because they have moved on to better cleaning techniques.

The ammonia bath was used around the late 1800s to remove corrosion from black powder guns as well as early smokeless. Better chemicals came around and now it's gone the way of the dodo.

It's a good technique which is why anon recommended it. Takes time though, I left my Uberti revolver outside for about two hours in a mild ammonia bath to get some lead deposits out of the the thing. I think the temperature was around 98 degrees.
>>
>>30785695
It'll destroy your firearm
>>
Anything chemical you have that can remove the rust will also remove your bluing, OP.

Honestly, I'd just give it another go with 0000 Steel Wool and Oil, then degrease it really well and give it a hit of cold blue.
>>
>>30785669
your oil sucks.
>>
Just leave it as is. It's not a problem
>>
>>30786595

This. It's a 50 year-old firearm. That kind of patina is common for a gun it's age.

You're ruining future value by trying to nigger with it.
>>
>>30785669
use CLP faggot
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.