[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anon Builds A Tank

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 13

File: Panzer IV.jpg (379KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Panzer IV.jpg
379KB, 1024x768px
Well, if you were in at the end of the last /thg/ you would know that I am building a replica tank. To be specific, a Panzer IV.

I have reached out and found 2 local mechanics, a carpenter, and a professional painter (vehicle and other) that will help with building an painting. I have 3 shops to build in (mechanic, carpenter, and my own) on top of that, I have acquired plenty of money to start up and already have a Volkswagen engine, transmission, ect to modify.

>Why make a thread about this?
/k/ has a diverse and knowledgeable base of people to draw from. It is my hope that you guys can give me advice, plans, references, ect to help make this happen.

>Whats in it for us?
Well, I will stick /k/ on the tank (in the format as the thread pic of the sticky) and may very well bring it to meet-ups for anons to drive or shoot out of.

>Where are you at right now?
Besides the listed material, I currently have bought a scale model that I am in the process of measuring and scaling up and have been working on tread designs. I have also talked to the carpenter and may have found a cheap(ish) way to "armor" the tank mostly out of wood to make it lighter and make it easier to build.

>What do you need now?
Anything you got, any relevent material helps!

>An actual engine? Whats the scale on this thing?
1:1 preferably, or as close to that as I can get. I plan on it not only driving, but shooting firework shells from the main cannon and the MG barrels taking roman candles that make it seem to shoot "tracers"
>>
File: Armor.jpg (547KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
Armor.jpg
547KB, 2048x1152px
Current hull idea. The first layer is thick "China" or basically, cheapo wood that is pretty crap. Layered on this is a slab of American maple.

The reason for this layering comes from a few problems. How do you cheaply cover a large area in wood? How do you make it seem hard like armor? How do you get a good thickness without draining your wallet?

The cheapo China is cheap, thick, and can easily cover a large surface. The problem is, it is rather weak and feels flimsy just touching it (even with its depth). So, layered over that is a sheet of maple. This maple is stiff as fuck, looks good, and will take sealers and paint rather well. Not only that, but it prevents dents and cracking that occurs on the China from screws, bolts, climbing in in out of it.

Why not use a ton of good old American Maple instead? It is expensive. Buying a thinner sheet and layering it over the cheapo wood eliminates the problems with both. No more cracking and shit quality from the China, extra thick that is cheaper than buying expensive, heavy maple.
>>
File: Tread Idea I.jpg (737KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
Tread Idea I.jpg
737KB, 2048x1152px
Tread idea as it stands.

Cheap, not hard to make myself, works with very little modification of rims I already have.

The problem? It is liable to break, time consuming to make, and miss need careful control to make each piece right.
>>
>>30780591
i actually got to sit inside that tank at the deutsches panzer museum
>>
>>30780591

Do a search on youtube for 2/5 scale tanks...The videos might help you solve problems or give you some ideas
>>
Have you thought of buying a used construction vehicle with the treads, engine and general frame and adding the tank aesthetics and cannon?
>>
File: Desiretoknowmore.jpg (231KB, 627x502px) Image search: [Google]
Desiretoknowmore.jpg
231KB, 627x502px
>>30780591
I have questions, will the wood be able to hold the over all weight? Will you be building a frame? if so, with what?
>>
>>30780743
>cable links
Don't do this. I strongly suggest you buy existing track instead of DIY.
>>
>>30781049
Pretty expensive. I want to cut as much cost and weight as I can.

Besides, a bit more fulfilling to make it by hand.

>>30781126
Was thinking of a frame likely just made of some of the regular gubbins you get from Home Depot and Lowes.

Current idea. The "armor" plating you see in the above pics is pretty light AND sturdy. The maple will be nailed to the China then the completed hull piece screwed into the frame.

Right now its a battle of taking measurements, scaling them up, then figuring out a skeleton underneath that will hold the armor, while giving room for engine, seats, ect.

>>30781139
It was just an idea. I have all the really expensive pieces (Engine, gas tank, transmission, radiator, ect) so if I have to bite the bullet and buy track I will. Just have to get it the right size and figure how to slap it onto the body.
>>
>>30781049
Also, I have the engine and all that. Its just a matter of track, equipment to utilize it, and material for the body.

Don't want to buy a completely new machine when I have all the good bits.
>>
File: 1364595649824.jpg (265KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1364595649824.jpg
265KB, 1680x1050px
>>30780591
I truly hope you succeed. You should try to get into contact with some professionals that restore/reproduce tanks, I'm sure they're the best source of help you could get.

What's your budget, realistically?

P.S. paint it like the one you posted.
>>
>>30781186
What kind of Engine will you be using?
>>
File: DAK.jpg (149KB, 776x786px) Image search: [Google]
DAK.jpg
149KB, 776x786px
>>30781227
Right now I am looking at $2,000 to start. As I get into it I will evaluate and evolve the budget.

I actually have a DAK helmet similar to the middle man in this pic somewhere. Will find and become the Desert Fox just for you anon. Also, the guy who put in to paint it said he'd do anything I wanted...so DAK it may very well be.

>>30781237
Its a Volkswagen. I forget the exact details of it, but I may dig it up and post soon.
>>
>>30780743
I dont want to be a dick but I hope you can produce blueprints better than that. I understand if your just brainstorming in those drawing but when shit gets laid down you are going to need precision within one RCH or less.
>>
>>30781366
*you're
>>
>>30780743
Anon no.. bad treads.. for it too be road legal (in most areas, check your laws) you need rubber pads.

I suggest getting those rubber band treads that bobcats have.
>>
>>30781315
So you basically want something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz_vTZAEa9U
>>
>>30781227
Oh, and that budget is just based off of some free money I had laying around. Not digging into my paycheck.

Here's a tip for you anons, pick up old air conditioners, furnaces, coils, and copper. Some people and AC guys will just toss the broken stuff but if you can get in before they toss it, you can chop it up, separate it, and sell the bits to fund your own tank building projects. Costs an afternoon or two, but hey its basically free.

>>30781366
These were just made doodling down ideas while talking to the carpenter, I can make up better prints later on.

>>30781383
That is why it pays to live in a small town and know all the cops. Got permission to drive it around away from the highway and select main roads. So long as I don't do anything stupid. Besides roads, a lot of open land and forest to drive in.

>>30781400
Those are pretty good. If mine turns out similar I wouldn't be mad. Though, mine will shoot firework shells and green roman candle fireballs.
>>
File: 1466640541433.png (73KB, 448x312px) Image search: [Google]
1466640541433.png
73KB, 448x312px
>>30781400
>tank for paintball
A tank would be better suited for airsoft, since you won't half to clean off paint after each game
>>
File: Panzer IV Cut.jpg (521KB, 1227x892px) Image search: [Google]
Panzer IV Cut.jpg
521KB, 1227x892px
Here is a cut away I have been looking over. The outside I am confident cane be built. Its the inside that worries me. Skeleton, engine, and the other bells and whistles will have to fit inside as neat as I can get it.
>>
File: url.jpg (10KB, 238x212px) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
10KB, 238x212px
>>30780591
>rubber tracks
>wooden parts
>calling it a *replica

>not using scale thickness steel,
>not using recasts of PZIV track links,
>not backwards engineering the running gear and suspension

good god this is going to be yet another one of those abortions being passed off as a *replica. Just stop now annon, the world does not need another one of these eye soars
>>
File: Report 1.jpg (169KB, 1169x693px) Image search: [Google]
Report 1.jpg
169KB, 1169x693px
>>30782658
No rubber tracks. I want to hear the rattle of steel on cement.

Sadly, costs prevent the use of scale thickness (at least, in steel. Maybe could use scale thickness in wood) and don't knock wood mate, pretty gucci stuff. I also want to try and keep it simple mechanically as I lack Kraut space magic.

>This tank report I found is a sign. helps a lot.
>>
>>30780591
Hey op.

Op.

Hey Op.

Look up stitch and glue boats.
>>
File: Calvert.jpg (78KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Calvert.jpg
78KB, 1280x720px
>>30782736
Literally every single reproduction has failed to represent a bolt per bolt reproduction. If you don't have the tools, or the $$ then you are wasting your time.

You are already cutting corners that are affecting the overall look of the "model, A panzer IV is a hard tank to make as the suspension is all leaf spring / cast components, which unless you replicate perfectly will look like shit.
>>
http://blog.goo.ne.jp/fullscalemodelers

Step it up sempai. The Japs have already got you beat.
>>
File: 9cd76516c73a2090e6703c77e849be36.jpg (383KB, 1280x850px) Image search: [Google]
9cd76516c73a2090e6703c77e849be36.jpg
383KB, 1280x850px
>>30782977
>http://blog.goo.ne.jp/fullscalemodelers
For a reproduction their PZIV is not too bad... but something looks off with the height of the front plate... it looks too short
>>
File: berlin-may-1945-0062.jpg (3MB, 4363x3188px) Image search: [Google]
berlin-may-1945-0062.jpg
3MB, 4363x3188px
>>30783061
here is a real PZIV for comparison

*note the lower hull plate where the tow hooks are mounted
>>
Honestly, I'd love to see the leopard tank from Germany during WW2.

In its original configuration, i'd love to see how its gun could work of worked against Russian tanks before being down sized and made useless.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.