[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reloading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

File: reloading.png (507KB, 1522x1791px) Image search: [Google]
reloading.png
507KB, 1522x1791px
Who here reloads? I was thinking about buying some equipment for it but I still ain't sure.
>>
Same, wanna reload/make .455 webley ammo. Might even try to make MKII manstoppers
>>
If you have nothing better to do and shoot alot pretty worth tbqh fampie
>>
>>30777825

Yeah I do. Absolutely worth it.
>>
>>30777825
Chuck the Lee powder measure in that list and get one that doesn't leak all over the place, a Hornady, RCBS, or Lyman powder measure is far better. Otherwise that list is good for starters.
>>
Get a beam balance scale; super cheap digital drift and are not very accurate.

Instead of that cutter tool, get the Lee quick trim with dies for it- they are better. If you can get a lathe tool from RCBSan or Hornady, they are a better value if you load more than a handful of cartridges.

Don't buy that cleaning media, get corn cob or walnut litter at a pet store.

Don't buy a ram prime, get a hand primer. More speed and you can do it while watching TV.

I would personally get a better press. I use one of those c frames for resizing powder coated bullets and it is OK though. A Lee classic turret is an unimaginably huge upgrade.

Spend more money starting out... you'really just going to replace it if you stick with reloading anyway. If you decide reloading isn't for you, at least you will have some resale value too.
>>
>>30778725
What about a current vs single stage?
>>
>>30778780
Turrent***
>>
>>30778780

A turret offers much more speed. If there is any accuracy lost compared to a single stage, it would be hard to prove and there are a million factors more important to accuracy than press type anyway.

Almost everything I load is on a 650, 1050, or rock checker, but my first press was a turret and they work great.
>>
>>30778814

Also, my autocorrect is fucking killing me.

And it is turret, not turrent. What the fucking is a turrent supposed to be anyway and why do people call them that?
>>
i do but i mostly reload bmg, it is a significant savings and allows me to tailor loads, i also do larger calibers like 308 but the little stuff i have a hard time justifying time-wise; 223, pistol and so on, it's just teeny tiny to handle and ammo is cheap. if ammo gets not cheap then fine i'll reload the smaller stuff.

when i get old and cranky and have more time i'll probably reload every caliber regularly
>>
>>30778825
>He doesn't know about the superior Turrent press
>>
>>30778835
Do you have a barret or some shit
>>
File: 1469653595941996280684.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1469653595941996280684.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
I reload .38 special and .40. Def worth
Incoming sideways pic
>>
>>30779439
What kind of press is that? A progressive one?
>>
File: awwwwwwwwwwwwyeahhhhhh.jpg (22KB, 550x376px) Image search: [Google]
awwwwwwwwwwwwyeahhhhhh.jpg
22KB, 550x376px
>>30779395
Yes, a 99
>>
>>30777825
I have off and one. Don't much lately since I mostly shoot common stuff and it's not worth the hassle.

Big thing you're missing from the cart (if you don't have some already) are reloading manuals. Manuals is plural intentionally.
>>
>>30777825
1. Get a beam scale instead of the electronic one.
2. Ditch the ram prime and get an RCBS hand primer. Much better to use, you'll get a good feeling for how deep your primers have been set plus you can load 100 primers on the tray in one go.
3. Add some case lube for use with the full length die. I'd recommend the Imperial Lube in that small tin. It's be best lube I've used and seems to last a long time. I've tried the Lee lube (in the tube) and RCBS silicon lube. The former caused a few cases to get stuck in the die, and the latter is quite messy on the pad.
4. Get a good loading book.
5. You might want to upgrade the press for the long run. If you end of full length sizing .30'06 or start case forming you'll want a much sturdier frame. An O-press would be better for this.

Otherwise OP that setup is fine and will be a good introduction to handloading.
>>
>>30780095
Lyman 49th edition?
>>
>>30777825
I make 45acp and soon I'll look into a bigger setup to make rifle stuff because fuck California
>>
>>30779864
Yep. Nor him, my dad has one. Drops .45 really well, but it better for the price. Planning on turrets myself.
>>
>>30780268
Is 9mm worth doe?
>>
>>30777825
OP, before you buy any Lee equipment, compare the prices to this site, Lee Factory Sales:
http://www.factorysales.com/
>>
>>30777825
Only thing I reload is that okie dokie
>>
>>30777825
Buy a reloading book. Ammo recipes can be found online, but not all are safe. You at least want one book to make sure the loads you find online are within the safe pressures. Reloading is not something to fuck around with and trust random strangers on the internet.
>>
>>30784354
What're recommended books? I'm hearing the gold standard Lyman is crap with the new 50th edition.
>>
>>30784399
Hornady is pretty good for what i do. Plus its got garand and m1a specifically separate from their respective calibers because of the op rod issures. But I have a couple of speer books, a couple of hornady books, a hodgdon book, lyman, and lee that I can think of off the top of my head. Just all depends on preference more than anything. I use different books for different calibers and even different guns of the same caliber.
>>
>>30778275
>You see, Ivan, when you are of loading rocket in backwards position, enemies who try to flank you of behind think you are aiming forwards, but you are really predicting their maneuvers and countering.
>>
At what point does reloading become cost effective?

Can you make better/cheaper ammo than buying it in the shop?

Never done reloading so don't know how the figures stack up, just curious.
>>
>>30787084
I reload to get match grade ammo at ZQi prices.
If you just want blasting ammo you can get steel cased for about what your $ cost would be for in reloading in many cases.

But what I shoot, match ammo us $25-30 a box of 20, being able to hand load for under $10, that's significant
>>
If you are using a drop powder measure, buy a trickler.

What do you want to reload for OP?
>>
>>30779939
Pics plz
>>
>>30787123
So, if I want to reload 7.62x54 would it be financially smart?
>>
your selection is shit.

Go buy a rcbs. Rock chucker kit
Same price. Better tools

Clean your brass in a 5 gallon buckrt and a laundry mesh bag.
>>
>>30788019
If you're looking to make match ammo for a sniper or finnish mosin with privi cases, then it could be justified.
>>
Get a better press. I've heard of those little fuckers breaking.

Get a crimp die for .223 if you plan on shooting it out of a semi auto. It's possible for bullets to become unseated if there's no crimp. If you're using it in a bolt gun you're fine.
>>
Just got a progressive reloader, never loaded before.
Can someone enlighten me on what it means to cut and resize old brass?
>>
>>30789837
what caliber ?
>>
>>30789837
all fired brass with shoulders needs to go through your resizing die, the shoulders lose their angle from the internal pressure of firing.
resize
>>
>>30789837
likewise fired brass over time has a tendency to stretch somewhat so it need to be trimmed back into spec
"cut"/ trim
>>
>>30789837
progressive has a learning curve
start slow work on figuring out how/what each station does and making sure their doing it correctly
>>
>>30777825
At least get a decent caliper like a mitutoyo or brown and sharpe
>>
>>30778278
I have one and it does well with the finest of powders like AA1680, W296, h335 etc. Never leaked a bit after initially adjusting the screw on it.

>>30778780
Get a lee classic turret and dont look back. caliber changes are extremely fast. 4 seconds tops. Dies are all stored in cheap($11) turrets and once set, never need adjusted. 250 rounds an hour when you are taking your time with a relaxed pace. You can always use it as a single stage, just remove the auto indexing rod. I never use the auto index, I size and prime my brass as i shoot it then once I have enough built up, I load a bunch just thumbing between the powder through expander and the seating die. very fast.

>>30787084
9mm and 223 will take a while to pay off equipment cost. you can reload 9 for ~$6 a box and 223 for ~4.50 a box. Otherwise, I save a ton and I never have to take into consideration ammo cost when buying a new gun. I cast all of my bullets so Its really cheap. I load 500 mag for between 10cents(mild plinkers) and 18cents(full magnum gas check coated bullet) a round. It goes for $3 a round at the gun shop...
>>
Start off with a redding t-7 turret press. Even if you advance to a progressive press, you will always keep the t-7 around. Also, always have at least 2 reloading books for a way to double check recipes.
>>
>>30788692
I'm trying to build a precision semi auto in .308 and another in 6.5 creed, should I crimp?
>>
>>30779439
Nice tactical Easter basket anon
>>
>Be me
>Want a Hornady progressive for quite some time
>Take trip out of state, leaving credit card at home
>browse Slickguns and see LnL deal on jet.com
>Holy fuck, $303 after all the coupons & shit plus 500 free bullets
>Finally get home
>Retrieve credit card from safe
>Boner
>SALE EXPIRED THIS MORNING

Fucked my whole day up
>>
My plan for getting into guns/reloading:
1. Get .223 and 9mm gun as well as a semi-auto 12
2. Practice
3. Get bolt-action .308 and reloading setup
4. Get higher-powerd handgun (10mm or such) and a Tigr (only 180 gr x54r where I live which it doesn't shoot well with)

Rate please.
>>
>>30794988
4/10
How much experience do you have? What do you enjoy shooting most? Why? Are you poor? Are you looking for ultra precise loads? Do you like fiddling and changing shit or just shooting?

Answer these for yourself. It sounds like (and I could be wrong) you've just use gone down a checklist of things you THINK you should own rather than things you actually want (aside from the tigr which you better damn militarize or buy militarized). Get things you desire imo, don't just get things you think you ought to (for example I know several folks who bought ARs because everyone said they should get one and turns out they just don't like them that much, where instead some of them love weird kel tec shit or off the wall shit you don't see often).
>>
>>30777825
And get the Frankford tumbling kit https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Master-Tumbler-Kit/dp/B000TTILBC/ref=sr_1_6?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1469804837&sr=8-6&keywords=frankford+arsenal&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011

It as the tumbler, media, refresher, separator, and a bucket to store used media for a better price than if bought separately. It's more than worth the $75.
>>
>>30798444
Wew just got that yesterday and rochcrusher kit from rcbs
>>
File: Bench.jpg (283KB, 1521x908px) Image search: [Google]
Bench.jpg
283KB, 1521x908px
>>30787084
It's never really "cost effective"

You'll find yourself spending just as much money as before, but you'll also be shooting A LOT more.

Before I started reloading, I would hit the range with 400-600 rounds in various calibers; Now I go out with 1200-1500 for a day. I spend the same, but shoot SO much more.
>>
>>30798453
That's a quality set up for a (relatively) low amount of money.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.