[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/ actually designs a gun.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 11

File: pistol.jpg (150KB, 1197x729px) Image search: [Google]
pistol.jpg
150KB, 1197x729px
Hello /k/ I want to try something with you guys.
Let's design a gun!
We're going to be starting from the bottom up and we're going to get real darn detailed here so i'm going to need your help!
sketches, detailed descriptions, and general ideas are greatly appreciated! let's get innovative and collaborate on something?

I will be updating with schematics and renders of the gun during the process and /k/ will direct the whole effort.

This might not work like i'm hoping it will so let's please try to keep the shit-posting to a minimum.

Just a few things before we start; don't say "add a trigger" give me a reference or a detailed description of how the trigger should be designed to produce the most comfortable ergonomics, and to produce the most efficient design in the weapon. (Same goes for any other part of the gun.)
>>
>>30772510
Taurus pls go
>>
>>30772530

I work with keltec and we're trying to rip off your guys ideas for our next design.
>>
>>30772510
shameless bump.
I would put some of my ideas forwards, but I want to see what we as a collective could come up with.
>>
>>30772510
Uh, it should feed from different belts, one on the left onevon the right, ejects brass below, when u finish one belt u flip a switch and it feeds from the other belt.....or from both whatever
>>
>>30772510
I doubt many Mechanical Engineers come in to 4chan very often, as they are probably doing something more important with their lives.
>>
I feel like having the rail inside the frame like a cz is a sexy idea. Also a fixed barrel for ease of suppressor use
>>
Drafting n' design major here, I personally would like a semi-automatic carbine. Fixed stock preferred and chambered in .357
>>
>>30772607
>fixed barrel for ease of suppressor use

What did he mean by this
>>
Lever gun in .50ae pls
>>
keep the ideas coming so i can get a rough draft idea started

Really liking the .357 caliber any other suggestions on caliber?

will play around with feed selection ideas
The goal is for this to not be super conventional.
>>
>>30772694
The .357 carbine should be a good hog gun, is it possible to make it a blowback?

Or do we just go piston?

It should take mags that are already in use, the coonan ones or beagle ones, and we could make higher cap ones
>>
File: download (1).jpg (6KB, 407x124px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
6KB, 407x124px
>>30772510
>PLS
>>
>>30772746
i was thinking blowback, but again I want /k/ ideas so whatever the majority agrees on.

Also would there actually be any advantages to a dual feed design , it just sounds heavy, cumbersome and pointless to me.

If anyone has any ideas for a dual feed, or feed selector that can avoid the flaws i've pointed out i will incorporate it.
>>
>>30772799
DELETE THIS
>>
>>30772746
I'd say blowback to keep it simple, but otherwise I'd say piston is good
>>
>>30772814
Oh i didnt think this was a serious thread so i just said the stupidestvthing that came to mind
>>
>>30772828
yeah well stupid aside, if you could think of a reason why it wouldn't be stupid, or a way to make it worth the stupid i'd love to try and incorporate it , or even if that doesn't work keep throwing ideas out
>>
>>30772816
>>30772814
If its blow back it would be more effective when you put a can on it...oh yeavit should be threaded

My .357 revolver gets super duper hot, i think we need a top hand guard or maybe a heatshield, whichever looks better
>>
>>30772584

Dunno about MechE's but I'm an EE and I'm shitposting here daily.
>>
>>30772856
Oh its actually a thing, they had it on some aircraft guns because theirs not much room to switch mags every 30 rounds. So you just flip the switch.

>why no 60 round mag
Because it would be too tall and you need to swivel that gun all over,

Ian has a video on it
>>
Would a semi auto .357 also chamber .38 special?
>>
File: Shanxi_Type_17_Chinese_pistol.png (242KB, 830x553px) Image search: [Google]
Shanxi_Type_17_Chinese_pistol.png
242KB, 830x553px
>>30772510
make it for a big round so you can always make smaller caliber models later

also blowback operated or recoil operated if not mechanical operated like a revolver dont go with gas operated at all

mag in grip is nice for size but ... limits size or rounds you can shoot as the bigger rounds are bigger than the inside of grip that can be held comfortably

one safety is plenty on a gun better is its ambidextrous and safeties the firing pin or slide not the trigger

also try to make whole gun ambidextrous left handed people are tired of only revolvers

small concealed carry pistols are nice but i like a bigger gun and find a way to conceal it ---look at the popular pistol ak/ar/g3/fal---
>>
>>30773017
to be honest i'm thinking of this as more of a smaller compact carbine or smg so far

Can we get votes on whether it should pistol or carbine?

what kindof safety do we collectively think would be the easiest, most robust and most effective safety?
>>
.327 fed mag is a great round. I say a lever or semi carbine with removable box mags, ten rounds or more.
>>
File: both.png (88KB, 260x260px) Image search: [Google]
both.png
88KB, 260x260px
>>30773041
>pistol or carbine
>>
File: zombie_judge_tfb-tfb.jpg (26KB, 540x316px) Image search: [Google]
zombie_judge_tfb-tfb.jpg
26KB, 540x316px
>>30773017
also don't be afraid of something a little off the wall
the market is full of small 1911 like pistols and revolvers
go for supper small and concealable or larger and has more punch --- as there are few pistols that are larger and pack more punch and are not just a large revolver or shorted rifle i'd go in that direction
>>
>>30772925
Im a ME from USU.
>>
just an idea!
Are quad stacked mags with barrier in the middle and a switch a thing? it would sort-of be like having a box mag but without a belt.

opinions, thought?
does this already exist?
is it a bad idea?
>>
File: assault pistol.jpg (8KB, 300x211px) Image search: [Google]
assault pistol.jpg
8KB, 300x211px
>>30773041
>Can we get votes on whether it should pistol or carbine?
it can be both see >>30773100 pic related and mares leg pistol
>>
>>30773135
This is the awnser

>>30773088
>>
>>30773135
Make it modular, a new barrel and removable stock and boom its a pistol,

Just make sure it looks sexy as a pistol or carbine
>>
I'm a bit skeptical of trying to make a simple blowback gun in .357 magnum.
>>
I think 9x25 dillon would be a good carbine/pdw/pistol round. All the high pressure and gas to really scream from a 10-12 inch barrel. It would also be able to opperate on a scaled down short stroke gas system. The gas system is better than blowback because it can be much lighter and has a wider opperating window for ammo types, especially with a properly designed system and an adjustable gas block. You could also fit. 30 in a magazine about the size of an ar mag.
>>
>>30773204
roller delayed blowback then
>>
My vote is for a blowback pistol caliber carbine that can be built on a shitty harbor freight Sieg X2 mini milling machine. and takes glawk mags and an AK FCG.

Once we can manage something simple like that, then we can move on to something more interesting.
>>
>>30772646
Tilting barrel designs require a booster when using a can to cycle correctly. Anon here is trying to say he wants a fixed barrel so he doesnt need a booster
>>
all steel glock with a smooth face trigger that is more crisp,hi power grip with ergos.

micro tavor with thin forend forward grip should be on the same horizontal plane as rear grip.more toe an the stock,shoots uner 5 moa

nothing should break until 100+ rounds
>>
357 would be problematic in a detachable magazine because of the large rim. It could be made to work, but the setup isn't ideal. 9x25 would give the same power, but require shorter mags and piston stroke (less wright and less movement) and be easier to design for.
>>
I vote for 5.7x28 for simple small shit and for having an option besides FN PS90 / Five Seven and the AR57.
>>
>>30773225
>blowback pistol caliber carbine that can be built on a shitty harbor freight Sieg X2 mini milling machine
Those mini mills are actually really decent to work with. But if you are looking for ease of production it would be easier to do some sort of cast parts that are finished on a dremel.

Ive been considering making a closed bolt semi only subgun kit where you basically cut a section of pipe and add in simple cast parts (that I will either cast and let you finish or give you the forms for).
>>
>>30773253
But no one would buy it in burgerland
>>
.223 revolver
>>
Make a sten chambered in .357 with a woodstock and wood foregrip.

Dun
>>
>>30773278
I vote this

Also a double barrel that comes from the factory with a sawn off barrel and stock. So i only have to pay a 5 dollar tax to be mad max
>>
>>30773067

And .357 Mag is also very difficult round when it comes to get it feed reliably from a box mag.

Does anybody know any actually successful firearm completely designed by a committee?
(What is basically what we are attempting here).
>>
>>30772510
I just want a ppk in 9mm luger.

Also more fixed barrel designs in general.
>>
>>30772510
45-90 straight pull bolt. basically a 45-90 k31.
>>
>>30773311
Fixed barrel only really works with blowback or stupid complex operating systems (HK p7, vz52,etc)

You wont get a PPK in 9mm because you generally cant do blowback in anything past 9x18 without things getting explody
>>
>>30773300
Why does no one do this?

Bring the auto burgler back!

Ill pay the 5 doll hair tax
>>
File: Screenshot_20160726-160203.png (4MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160726-160203.png
4MB, 1440x2560px
>>30773300
Oh god pls
>>
>>30773340
Why can't you just build things with thicker steel? Does that not fix the explody problem?
>>
>>30773311

...in essence small blowback pistol design with a cartridge that is generally considerd to be bit too powerful for blowback pistols. Russians tried one trick for doing exactly that with their Makarov version in 9 mm Luger maybe about 10 - 15 years ago - they made a screw-like pattern ridge inside chamber and the cartridge case became part of mechanism that delays opening of breech. One kind of a have to guess how large the safety margin was on that one. Might be even unsafe with ammo that has steel cases, but apparently it worked ok with brass cased ammo.
>>
>>30772510
Make sure you integrate a carry handle into the design. Bonus points for size and integrated sights.
>>
>>30773340

Problem is not as much that the resulting pistol would literally explode. What would actually happen is that the breech would open before pressure of gasses inside the firearm has dropped to safe level. So in reality the breech would open, cartridge case would at least partially turn into shrapnel and shooter would get both fragments from it and good chunk of the gasses to his hands and face. That would be what would happen with the first round. Also the long term durability of the firearm would compromise since recoil spring would not be able to handle it. If shot enough either frame or slide would ultimately break down, which would be likely to happen rather soon.

The general solution would be replacing recoil spring with more powerful recoil spring design an replacing slide with a heavier one, but that would make pistol notably heavier and bulkier.
>>
>>30773419
>thicker steel
You can but then you end up with shit like the hipoint or you end up with xbox heavy springs
>>30773548
Yeah basically that
>>
Lever action pistol
>>
>>30773272
Why the hell not.
>>
File: CSR45-BoltFaceCADSolid2.jpg (91KB, 800x769px) Image search: [Google]
CSR45-BoltFaceCADSolid2.jpg
91KB, 800x769px
>>30773261
>But if you are looking for ease of production it would be easier to do some sort of cast parts that are finished on a dremel.

Eh, cast parts are a bit out of reach for the common man. While it's true that aluminum can be cast with some metal cans, a shop vac, some sand, and some charcoal, it's a whole skillset in itself to do it well. And then you have to finish the parts anyway.

I'd choose the mini mill because with strategic use of coupons and sales, it can be had for ~$350, within the means of most employed people.

I like the idea in pic related, of using a square cutout for the chamber face so as to avoid the need for a lathe.
>>30773548
>they made a screw-like pattern ridge inside chamber and the cartridge case became part of mechanism that delays opening of breech.

You see Ivan, when cut rifling on chamber walls like so, ejection is made more accurate!
>>
>>30772510
OP I think for starters we need to settle on a concept. Something new and actually useful that fills a need in the current market/political situation. I suggest the use of polls to vote on this once we get a few ideas rolling. Here are some of my own:

- A takedown carbine made for portability innawoods, while firing a moderately powerful cartridge. Have the cartridge be relatively low-pressure for ease of design. Picture a chiappa little badger or takedown 10/22 but in .38 sp or 7.62x39. Make it perfect with a detachable box mag

- The ghost gun: A reliable, box-fed semi auto in an intermediate cartridge that is designed from the ground-up to be made at home from an <80% chunk of metal, hand tools, and a power drill. Something like the liberator for the smart man with access to basic tools. Have the magazines be similarly simple to get around panic buying.

- Something that fires a replica of 9x39?
>>
>>30774317
Cast parts would be easy to distribute and allow rapid production of a product en mass.

80% Closed bolt subgun/pistolthing:
>cast trunnions, front threaded for a mac barrel, multiple holes for cross bolt mounting
>Box tube receiver template and box tube. Cut ejection port, trigger port and drill holes for cross bolt trunnion mounts
>cast rough form of bolt. Drill out the striker assembly hole, charging handle hole and ejector hole
>uzi recoil spring for cheap recoil spring
>some cheap FCG to act as striker release/disassembly point
>sten gun magwell at what ever geometry you want. Bonus points if you cut tabs in mag well that can be bent into the box housing and then epoxied in place for extra strength

Basically you end up with a closed bolt striker fired box tube 9mm pistol. Use of precast major parts and some smaller gun parts means that the kit could be completed in a garage with a powerdrill, dremel and some epoxy. Also it would be cheap as fuck.
>>
>>30774452
Expanding upon this:
You could probably steal the entire striker/firing pin out of a glock pistol. Same with the extractor too. Uzi recoil springs could be substituted with what ever random partskit springs you want since the recoil guide would be just a loose fitting hole.

Bolt removal/cleaning would have to be done via either removing the rear trunnion bolts (operator safety hazard) or some sort of swing down FCG (adds complexity to the design)
>>
I'd love to see a bullpup manual actuated rifle. Something kinda accurate, light, short and legal in the true north strong and free. Probably just me thou.
>>
>>30774471
>take SKS
>make it bullpup
To reload you point the barrel at the ground and push the rounds in the stripper clip into the butt of the rifle like you were pressing them into your chest. But since it's an SKS it's not any lighter or short, you just have a longer barrel and better muzzle velocity.
>>
>>30772584
Mech Eng student in final year. I almost definitely know enough to design a firearm, next year's courses are for more complicated systems.
>>
>>30773307
A. Yes, there have been a few successful commie guns
B. .357 Sig would be better, literally designed to replicate 357 mag in box mag format.
>>
>>30772584
I'm an AAE student, but i know fuck all about firearms mechanics
>>
>>30773129
Not sure how it would feed into the chamber
>>
>>30774382
>takedown carbine in 7.62x39
I second this. We DO need to agree on something like this first before we get into details
>>
File: not FAMAS.jpg (27KB, 1019x582px) Image search: [Google]
not FAMAS.jpg
27KB, 1019x582px
>>30772510
How do you do fellow Glocks?
>>
OP if this thread doesn't pan out, it would probably do well to start off with a basic idea in the OP itself (ie pistol caliber carbine in a specific caliber). And then follow up with specific design questions that are easy to find and argue/vote over
>>
>>30773129
There already are quads that don't need a switch. The problem is the cartridge base would have to be pretty small or you'll end up with ridiculously wide mags on handguns.
So 9mm max...or the meme calibers. But 80rd MP-7 or 40-60rd 5-7 sound pretty good.
>>
>>30772799
That's one hell of a submachine gun
>>
>>30775373
I guess I was proven wrong then haha. And yes, firearms are very simple compared to other things.
>>
>>30772666
good idea satan
>>
Make it a .50 AE double stack pistol that can attack a stock and a longer barrel to become a carbine.Also CZ-75 style mag grip.And automatic for no civilian models.
>>
>>30776061
Non civilian* also make extendos and wood furniture/grips.
>>
>>30772510

Good idea OP, i'm no mechanical engineer, but I have a few ideas about the features that the /k/alibr should pack.

> Walnut grips
I mean, we tried with every material possible and known to men, even meteorite steel, but walnut is GOAT tier when it comes to firearms garments.

> Delayed blowback
Easiest to pack in a frame, most tried on the field, and arguably one of the best for handgun calibers. Not sure what it'll do with a .357 tho

> Integral trigger
Like the 1911, nothing more stupid than triggers that can catch in pretty much anything from brushes to clothes, and including the painfull 2nd phalanx bite when you draw incorrectly, or pull the trigger in a hurry. Which is what, most of the times you'll actually need a firearm?

> Integrated rails
As stated by others, must have feature IMHO

> Easy caliber switch
It will be the best selling feature of the gun, just look at the .300BLK madness. Peoples want to have all in one. So provide them with just that, and enjoy the monies.

> Also less related but offer it in different finishes so cerakote autist can be happy and stainless fudd too.

That's pretty much all that comes to mind for now.

Good luck with that
>>
Caliber? What should the caliber be? We should make it something accessible, such as .45 or 9mm. I vote .45.
>>
>>30776275
OP decided it'll be .357 if I got it right. Or 9x25mm
>>
>>30772510

Teflon coated mags to ensure no stoppages when using triple stacks of .357.

I've got big hands.
>>
File: 1464571429318.jpg (102KB, 500x371px) Image search: [Google]
1464571429318.jpg
102KB, 500x371px
>>30772666
Lever action in .50ae
>Be dindu
>Break into cracka's home with my brotha Tyrone when he's gone
>See a fine-ass T.V and problem solver
>Suddenly hear the heavy breathing of an aroused man
>Followed shortly by a boom that silences even God
>Turn around to see Tyrone with a basketball sized hole in his chest
>He gurgles "Shit mayne" before falling over
>See the house cracka with one of them old fasioned lever-actions
>Reciver is as long as my record
>He pulls out a crowbar to work the lever
>Casing as big as muh dick comes out
>The cracka in dressed in couch camo and track shoes
>He has no less than 5 bottles of vodka on his person
>The last thing I hear before he pulls the trigger is
>"You're Cheeki has been Breekied, cyka"
>MFW
>>
>>30776275
357 sig
>>
>>30776514
>not .50Beowulf
Why
>>
>>30776553
>Not a .500 S&W inside a .50 cal
Why
>>
>>30776594
>Not 18" battleship guns with sporting exception
WHY
>>
>>30772510
The barrel should be in line with the shooter's palm/arm like in the Mateba or Rhino, not over it like most handguns.
>>
>>30776638
>Not penta barreled howitzers st up into a battling gun so you can fire 5 howitzer rounds at once at 60000 RPM
WHY
H
Y
>>
>>30776667
Fuck NY phone
*set up
*Gatling
>>
10mm USP is all I want or a USP that can shoot .460 Rowland
>>
>>30776667
>Not a 18" gun firing 8" howitzer barrels firing 75mm guns firing cut-down hunting rifles
WHY
H&H
YHW
>>
>>30776857
The hunting rifles being chambered in .375 magnum of course
>>
Will the gun be magazine fed or top-loading? I think top-loading would be easier to make, but mag-fed will be easier to use.
>>
>>30772510
Lever style mag release.

Best ambi design imo.
>>
>>30776922

Why not a side loading mag, sten style, that you detach or feed directly with clips during the firefight.

Also it should be able to bend and lock at a parallel angle of the frame so it's not too bulky to CC.
>>
>>30777031
>lock mag in a position where mag can't work
>for CC
Sorry bro, but needing to move the magazine into place is one step too many for CC
>>
>>30772584
I have an MSME and sometimes spend time here. This thread is guaranteed to be shit thanks to faggots who think being able to use CAD software is the same as engineering.
>>
File: 1453907107201.jpg (1MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1453907107201.jpg
1MB, 1680x1050px
>>30777747
Hey I know CAD and have no formal engineering degree but I'm still an engineer B)

So far it seems like we want a semi-automatic .357 carbine/rifle that loads from the side sten-style. Walnut grips with integrated rails and a internal trigger.

I'll start a sketch
>>
>>30772510
Would it even be possible to get a Vector style recoil reduction system in a handgun
>>
>>30772510

Rework an 870 pump shotgu to accept only mini-shells

Profit
>>
>>30777693

Spring automatically releases the mag as you fire the weapon, since two cartridges can still be in the magwell when it's bent
>>
>>30772510
Tube gun tube gun tube gun
>>
>>30772510
make it a pump action pistol to increase reliability and handling
>>
>>30772510
A rifle that feeds like the p90, built to be able to be converted to most cartridges with straight walls and a length under 1.70 inches.
>>
>>30772890
>If its blow back it would be more effective when you put a can on it
not at all
>>
>>30775314
the true north strong and free is part of the /K/anadian national anthem, meaning poster in a /k/anadian and up here we are only allowed factory bullpups. (If it was originally built that way its perfectly legal, if you do it its 12 years in prison)
Thread posts: 106
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.