[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you had to pick one. Which one would you choose?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

File: 4142.jpg (34KB, 333x700px) Image search: [Google]
4142.jpg
34KB, 333x700px
If you had to pick one. Which one would you choose?
>>
>>30771836
neither. glave/naginata is best edged weapon.
>>
File: IMG_0796.jpg (968KB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0796.jpg
968KB, 3648x2736px
Psh...your crappy hunk of iron is no match for my nippon steel
>>
>>30771896
>>30771921
The left looks better imo, but the right seems like it would be more versatile (able to cut well as well as thrust).
>>
>>30771973
Samesies
>>
Which one you experts of weapons tell me.
>>
>>30772328
The right
>>
>>30771836
The one with the livelier point. Or the one that's lighter.
>>
>>30771836
Left.
Point is finer.
Can punch through gaps in armor and slice through peasants, albeit doing neither with utmost efficiency.
But better to have something decent at two things rather than only good for one, and I would say the point on the right is too wide for usage against finer armors.

But then again it also depends on the context and time period.
Duel?
Battlefield?
900-1200?
1200-1400?
1400-1600?
Modern?
Armored/Unarmored?
Etc. etc.
>>
>>30771836
The left one.

I had to find out in practice that the flat pommel and shorter hilt on the right one are detrimental to my leverage, maneuverability, and especially comfort.

I'd also wager that the left one's point of balance is closer to the crossguard even without the hollow grind of the right since it's sleeker in the tip. Which is a plus in my eyes.
>>
If you're set on these, right one. Aesthetics, circular pommel, less of a bulge in the center separating your hands.

If you are flexible, get a hand-and-a-half / bastard sword because you get the option of using it single-handed or with both.
>>
>>30771836
Both. Right for humans, left for monsters. A witcher can forget to eat, sleep or even breath, but a witcher can never forget to care for his sword.
>>
>>30771836
Neither. I already have two swords that have a lot of features similar to those (albeit a deal cheaper), so I'd rather not clutter my place with more of the same-ish.

If forced to chose either, I'd take the left. The right looks nicer, but the left appears to have the smarter design.

HEMAfag btw.
>>
File: image.jpg (84KB, 779x814px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84KB, 779x814px
>>30771836
Left.

> MFW I know where those swords came from
>>
>>30771836
What is the Portuguese hilted rapier, Alex
>>
albion Ringeck, Vs albion Crecy?

I'd take the ringeck if its your first collection piece. It handles like a greased weasel on crack.
>>
>>30771836
grip of the left
blade of the right
would be ok with either guard
>>
>>30771973
>able to cut as well as thrust
You are completely retarded. The blades are virtually the same size and shape, and the left has a slightly longer handle
>>
>If you had to pick one. Which one would you choose?
Whichever one is closest. I don't pretend to know anything about swordfighting, so I doubt it'll make a difference, because I'm just going to be swinging it around like a madman.
>>
>>30774538
School(s) of study?
>>
Personally. i would take the Flat guard over the concave. i just think i would do better with it.
>>
>>30771836
Depends on the purpose, if you like to do cutting practice and it is you only sword the crecy.
The ringeck if you want to have a good exapmle of a sword that would be used with plate armor.
>>
>>30775611
Lenticular with a fuller and a diamond cross section aren't "the same". Close enough but not the same.
>>
Personally, I'd grab the crecy over the ringeck

Not for any historical reason, but since the only use I have for a sharp sword is cutting practice, I'll grab the sword better designed for the cut.
>>
Doesn't
Fucking
Matter
>>
>>30771836
Left, because I have one at home.
>>
>>30776285
I, too, prefer straight guards, but I'm also fan of scent-stopper pommels. So, if I had to choose,I'd be fucked :(
>>
>>30777942
Then pick an albion talhoffer, same blade as the ringeck, but with a scentstopper pommel and straight guard

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/nextgen/sword-medieval-talhoffer-xva.htm
>>
>>30775627
Officially Liechtenauer, but in reality we grab whatever we can - Danzig of course, Meier, Fiore, Silver...even Eskrima and BJJ. Nothing's off limits.

Beginners always start out with Liechtenauer though.
>>
>>30771836
longsword obv
it's what i have trained with
>>
>>30778310
As separate stuff or what ? How do (would) you bring together PPdV and Eskrima ?
>>
>>30778410
No, we really use anything whenever Liechtenauer doesn't cover a situation or when we can't make his techniques work.

And what is PPdV?
>>
>>30771896
yes!
>>
>>30778404
They are both longswords...

>>30778504
It's pretty weird I must admit, how do you connect the dots with two entirely different traditions ? Basically you aren't doing Kunst des Fechtens if you throw an anachronic art from the other side of the world whenever you can't make an interpretation work. I mean, no offense but it's pretty weird to use eastern stuff from centuries later to complement KdF.
It's for Pseudo-Peter von Danzig, the MS 44.A.8 was found not to be from von Danzig, we only have small armor fencing from him.
>>
>>30778012
The pommel on the talhoffer is just so eh
>>
File: 20160726_110746.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20160726_110746.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>30778799
I don't really feel bad about the anachronism or impurity. We don't have teachers from a living tradition to ask; we need to figure things out somehow. And if the manuscripts alone don't make it work - regardless of whether it's due to them or us - we still have to fill the gaps.

So if Liechtenauer doesn't tell us what to do in grappling on the ground, we go to BJJ, Judo or whatever other experience our members have.

If a certain situation isn't covered or a technique doesn't work, we shop around. Don't see anything wrong with it; we regularly revisit stuff and try again. In the meantime: Whatever works.
>>
>>30771836
Let's blade and pommel, rights grip and guard.
>>
File: P9100259.jpg (87KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
P9100259.jpg
87KB, 600x800px
The right is just so sexy...
>>
>>30781591
That yours?

What's the thickness like? Albion doesn't mention that at their website and I'd like to know how the distal taper is on it
>>
File: AlbionCrecyPGA1152.jpg (525KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
AlbionCrecyPGA1152.jpg
525KB, 1152x864px
>>30781615
I wish. From what I hear it's pretty stiff and definitely tapered though not sure by how much.
>>
File: 1468986969270.gif (2MB, 396x224px) Image search: [Google]
1468986969270.gif
2MB, 396x224px
>>30771921
ejem....
nippon steel?
>>
>>30771836
Theyre the same thing
>>
>>30775611
hello captain ignoramuses
>>
I choose the Katana, the sharpest sword known to man
It's folded 6 million times by some Jap guy
Made out of the hardest metal known to man: Diamond
It can cut through steep beams
>>
http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/nextgen/regent-photos.htm

Neither
>>
>>30771836
Probably left. More reach/flexibility. Both only suitable for open-field. Wouldn't use either in cqc.

Or whichever is made from 5160 spring steel or T10 tool steel. Those steels are fucking amazing for swords.

>>30781718
Swords are meant to cut flesh and bone, not other swords. The key to swordsmanship is deflection, not catching/blocking, because as video shows, that's a dumb idea.
>comparing modern forged German longsword to traditionally clay-hardened nippon steel made from volcanic iron disks folded over and over again because pure iron ore was hard for ancient Japan to come by
>inferiority complex and desire to prove cultural and smithing/forging techniques as superior is obvious
C'mon guys... It doesn't matter what sword you think is best. They all have their merits. Steel grade is biggest key to good sword. Traditional steels are only suitable for traditionalists, not maximalist modern operator.

And don't say swords are shit for modern combat. I'd rather pull out a sword than throw helmets/rocks or pull a knife once I'm out of ammo. The Japs managed to cut up US soldiers carrying .45acp Thompson automatics.
>scene from Saving Private Ryan end-battle for reference
>inb4 movies aren't real
>wtf u gon do when no ammo
>Iraqi guerilla soldier supposedly killed fucktons with a short tactical sword, pic related, similar to what he used.
>>
>>30788158
same here, they took 400 katanas and smashed them into 400 cars moving at the speed of sound and coudl still not brake them and there is not harder metal than diamond
>>
context
>>
>>30790293
dat pommel so obstrusive
>>
>>30792883
I have a pommel for a hanwei tinker based off it, it's not that bad in the hand. Looks like it'd be uncomfortable, but the thing fits in your hand really well
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.